/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in perfumes and creams

Ummah
06-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Asalaamualaikum

Many fragrances (perfumes/aftershaves,deodrants) and hand, face, body cremes contain alcohol.

My question is, is it permissable to use them?

Without going into study of the topic, my opinion would be that it's fine to use them seen as it's likely the alcohol in them is not the beverage but deriving from the chemical group - alcohols. Also ive heard once you apply the perfume, the alcohol disappears off your skin?

isnt ethanol the name of the particular alcohol used in the beverages?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
minaz
06-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Good point SparklLZz, however i think that the ABUSE of alcohol is the main reason of it being haraam, but maybe someone could clarfiy that for us :p It's not like its pork or any other haraam meat we're smearing on our skin, I mean we've all encountered alcohol in our life from vinegar to deodrant, and in medicines. Lol i'm sure there's quite a lot of medical students in this forum who could back that! Shame i'm only a historian! :p

Muezzin
06-12-2005, 03:33 PM
:sl:

I don't have anything to back up my opinion with either, but I agree with Minaz. My gut tells me that it's haraam to drink alcohol (and it's flippin suicidal to drink pure alcohol!), but the chemical in itself is not haraam.

Far7an
06-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Assalamu 'alaikum

assalum Alalykum
I would like to ask you if wearing perfume such as CK Eternity, or Aramis which contains Alchol SD, or Alchol denat. Thanks Brother.
Assalum Alaykum
Praise be to Allaah.
We need to talk at length about the issue of perfumes that are said to contain cologne or alcohol. If the percentage of alcohol is very little, we say that it does not matter, and a person may use them without any concern, such as if the alcohol content is 5% or less. This does not matter.
If the percentage of alcohol is very high, so that you can detect it, then it is better not to use it except where it is necessary, such as for sterilizing wounds and the like.
In cases where it is not necessary, it is better not to use it, but we do not say that it is haram. The most we can say is that this high alcohol content is an intoxicant, and no doubt consuming intoxicants is haram according to the texts of Islam and the consensus of the scholars, but is using it in ways other than drinking it permissible? This is open to speculation, but to be on the safe side we should not use it. If you say that it is open to speculation because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants, gambling, al-ansaab [animals that are sacrificed on stone altars for idols], and al-azlaam [arrows for seeking luck or decision], are an abomination of Shaytaan’s handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” [al-Ma’idah 5:90-91], then we look at the general meaning of the phrase So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination), and say that alcohol should be avoided in all cases, whether it is drunk or applied to the skin, or used in some other way. If we look at the reason why, Allaah says, “Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” We may understand this to mean that only drinking it is forbidden, because applying it to the skin does not lead to that (enmity and hatred, etc.). So, in conclusion, we say that if the percentange of alcohol in this perfume is low, there is no need to worry about using it, but if it is high, then it is better to avoid it unless it is for a need, such as sterilizing wounds and the like.
Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 24

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummah
06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Asalaamualaikum

That was some excellent info there bro Farhan247! JazakhAllah and JazakhAllah to all those who replied.

My question now is... how do we know the percentage? and doesnt the alcohol in fragrances and cremes evaporate on application?

Danish
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
:sl:
yep, so use it only of alcholohl is in small quantityt

Ataraxis
06-12-2005, 11:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by farhan247
Assalamu 'alaikum

assalum Alalykum
I would like to ask you if wearing perfume such as CK Eternity, or Aramis which contains Alchol SD, or Alchol denat. Thanks Brother.
Assalum Alaykum
Praise be to Allaah.
We need to talk at length about the issue of perfumes that are said to contain cologne or alcohol. If the percentage of alcohol is very little, we say that it does not matter, and a person may use them without any concern, such as if the alcohol content is 5% or less. This does not matter.
If the percentage of alcohol is very high, so that you can detect it, then it is better not to use it except where it is necessary, such as for sterilizing wounds and the like.
In cases where it is not necessary, it is better not to use it, but we do not say that it is haram. The most we can say is that this high alcohol content is an intoxicant, and no doubt consuming intoxicants is haram according to the texts of Islam and the consensus of the scholars, but is using it in ways other than drinking it permissible? This is open to speculation, but to be on the safe side we should not use it. If you say that it is open to speculation because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who believe! Intoxicants, gambling, al-ansaab [animals that are sacrificed on stone altars for idols], and al-azlaam [arrows for seeking luck or decision], are an abomination of Shaytaan’s handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” [al-Ma’idah 5:90-91], then we look at the general meaning of the phrase So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination), and say that alcohol should be avoided in all cases, whether it is drunk or applied to the skin, or used in some other way. If we look at the reason why, Allaah says, “Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allaah and from al-salaah (the prayer). So will you not then abstain?” We may understand this to mean that only drinking it is forbidden, because applying it to the skin does not lead to that (enmity and hatred, etc.). So, in conclusion, we say that if the percentange of alcohol in this perfume is low, there is no need to worry about using it, but if it is high, then it is better to avoid it unless it is for a need, such as sterilizing wounds and the like.
Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh by Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 24
Jazak Allah! That was very informative..but I agree w/Sparklzz, how can we know the percentage?

sonofadam
06-13-2005, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SparklLZz
Asalaamualaikum

Many fragrances (perfumes/aftershaves,deodrants) and hand, face, body cremes contain alcohol.

My question is, is it permissable to use them?

Without going into study of the topic, my opinion would be that it's fine to use them seen as it's likely the alcohol in them is not the beverage but deriving from the chemical group - alcohols. Also ive heard once you apply the perfume, the alcohol disappears off your skin?

isnt ethanol the name of the particular alcohol used in the beverages?
According to the evidences and Allah knows best - alcohol is a pure substance.

Celestial
06-13-2005, 05:47 PM
brothers, i believe it's on the content of the bottle. at least that is what i have seen on some off the fragrances.

it says something like, 4% alcohol or something like that.

Pk_#2
12-28-2005, 03:48 PM
salaamz,

My mate wanted to know whether it was allowed for men to wear after shave...as it has alcohol in it, and also whether women are allowed to wear things with alcohol in it when they are praying perfume creame's etc,in the house and when they go out.

Waiting for replys inshaAllah.

Fi Amaan Allah

w/salaamz

:sister:

- Qatada -
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
:wasalamex

Question.

Scholars of Islam, as-Salamu `alaykum! What is the Islamic ruling on wearing perfumes that contain alcohol?

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, we are very pleased for the great confidence you repose in us and we really commend your apparent interest in having a better understanding of the teachings of Islam and the rulings of this great religion in all matters. In fact, Islam is a religion that encompasses all aspects of life and secures guidance and light for all mankind.

As for your question, some Muslim scholars say that wearing alcohol-based perfumes is allowed in Islam.

In this regard, Al-Azhar House of Fatwa issued the following Fatwa:

"In Islam, it is unanimously held that all things are supposed to be deemed pure, and that it is not necessary that all what is declared forbidden is considered impure. This is because impurity is a legal ruling that needs evidence. For example, drugs and fatal poisons are forbidden, yet this by no means qualify them to be impure.

For this reason, some scholars including Rabi`ah, Al-Layth Ibn Sa`d, Al-Muzani (the companion of Ash-Shafi`i) and some other scholars hold that wine is pure regardless of its being unlawful, and that only drinking it is forbidden. However, the majority of jurists are of the view that wine is impure and forbidden.

Thus, we conclude that all that is impure is deemed forbidden, but not vice versa. This is because regarding something as impure is to forbid any physical contact with it, whereas regarding something as unlawful is not necessarily to forbid any contact with it. To illustrate, wearing gold and silk is unlawful (for men), yet they are considered pure by the consensus of scholars and thus can be touched by men.

As far as perfumes containing alcohol is concerned, they consist of many ingredients like water, perfume, and alcohol that comprises the highest percentage. It is known that alcohol is produced from sugarcane by way of distillation. Thus, according to the juristic rule, which states that all things are presumed to be originally pure and that being prohibited does not render something impure, perfumes that contain alcohol are pure, particularly if we bear in mind that they are used for cleaning and perfuming the body. Thus, it is permissible to use these perfumes and there is nothing wrong in that."

Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, adds:

"It is forbidden to drink alcohol. In the perfumes usually denatured alcohol is used. This alcohol is not unclean (najas). According to some jurists even natural alcohol is not najas. According to the Shari`ah, there is nothing wrong in using alcohol based perfumes."

You can also read:

Using Products Containing Alcohol

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source.

:salamext:

Pk_#2
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
salaamz,

Jazakhala'khairun bro :) !!

Your post is very useful , May Allah bless you

w/salaamz

hammy
12-29-2005, 06:57 PM
i really dont know but dont use it if your not sure wait till u find out dat it has got alcholl

hammy
12-29-2005, 07:01 PM
If u love someone and u kept it a secret and u wana tell someone and u cant plz help its not me its a friend

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.