/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Caucasian/Anglo/White Muslims.

Ubaidah
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Let me preface this by saying, I'm a white american. With that said, I have to ask the question A) how do the people here (as muslims) look at "white" muslims? B) Do any muslims of the lighter skin tone (:okay:) post here?

The reason I ask these questions is because I was speaking with a friend of mine, whom is African-American. And I was discussing my deep interest in soon enough starting my life with a devotion to the Islamic faith. And the response I recieved from him was one of that I "wouldn't fit the mold", and be looked at as a fraud.

For me, it's not about skin tone, birthplace, or anything like that. It's about the peace of mind, and overall joy the Islamic religion gives me ALREADY. Even though I have yet to make it official with the saying of the Shahada. And it's not like what anyone said will make my decision for a life devoted to Allah, and the great feeling that it gives me, and will give me for the rest of my days. I was just curious as to everyones say.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
You will find that among true Islam, there is no color. As Muslims we are a religion and not a race. We come from all countries, speak all languages, and are a wide variety of pigmentation.

I would describe myself as being very pale in need of a tan. Since most of my ancestors were of Northern Europe lineage, I sort of got short changed in the skin color department. If it wasn't for the fact that my mother's side did have a few oriental ancesters, I'd probably be transparent.

Muslims are not concerned about a persons ancesters, the concern is how strong are we in Imaan (faith), How well do we follow the pillars of faith, how much do we live up to the name Muslim.

syilla
09-15-2006, 07:13 AM
i think they are pretty...and look so innocent (even they are not).<<---i'm talking about the girls....i couldn't care less what the guys look like :p

Isma'el
09-15-2006, 07:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
You will find that among true Islam, there is no color. As Muslims we are a religion and not a race. We come from all countries, speak all languages, and are a wide variety of pigmentation.

I would describe myself as being very pale in need of a tan. Since most of my ancestors were of Northern Europe lineage, I sort of got short changed in the skin color department. If it wasn't for the fact that my mother's side did have a few oriental ancesters, I'd probably be transparent.

Muslims are not concerned about a persons ancesters, the concern is how strong are we in Imaan (faith), How well do we follow the pillars of faith, how much do we live up to the name Muslim.
well said i agree 100%

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
F.Y.
09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
There are many muslims in the world, from all nationalities you can possibly think of. On this forum we have a number of 'white' muslims - from Belgium, Wales, USA, everywhere. I 've met so many here in Australia too. Truth is, nobody is fussed about where you're from. The Prophet (saw) came to break all that garbage down - where you come from or what colour your skin is not important in the sight of Allah. "The best amongst you is that person who has done more good." And nobody knows who has done more good other than Allah, who knows what we think and what we have done in our lives. In his last sermon on Mount Arafat the Prophet (saw) said, "No Arab has superiority over a non-Arab and no non-Arab has superiority over an Arab," neither blcck over white or white over black, or red or yellow or blue or whatever :)

Islam is universal. We all worship Allah alone and we're all brothers and sisters in faith.

If you're a muslim, you're a muslim and even if someone does stare/rebuke you because you are white....well, that's becuase of their ignorance.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say :)
Peace to you.

Ubaidah
09-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Umu 'Isa
09-15-2006, 11:55 AM
:salamext:

I'm a white muslimah, and i've never had a problem fitting in. I have never felt left out because I am white. If anything, other muslims are more friendly and accepting towards reverts. And as the others above said, there is no colour/race in islam we are all brothers and sisters in faith alhamdulillah.

:wasalamex

Al-Zaara
09-15-2006, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JMF
B) Do any muslims of the lighter skin tone (:okay:) post here?

I'm white. :D I think... Well, my skin tone is white, though I am Albanian/Turkish.

In Islam your colour doesn't matter. As the above posts explained so well.. So I guess all has been said. :D

Though, I may understand what some "whites" have expirienced. Because I have too. When I go to the mosque, some women, seem to be "scared" of me... Mainly because I am a different colour... But we all are Muslims and pray alike there, so I guess it must be the colour...

Or maybe it's cultural? The Somalian women and girls NEVER talk to me... I try to start a conversation but it ends quickly. :offended:
The Arabian women seem to like to talk to me though.
And then the Somalian don't talk to the Arabs... At least it's like this for the WOMEN.
The men on the other hand seem always to get along in the mosque... :D

I really have no idea why. :?
But you just have to understand, people are different and don't judge the religion by its followers alone, 'cause much is done wrong by some of them. :)

UmmSqueakster
09-15-2006, 02:08 PM
White midwestern muslimah here *waves* I've met dozens, perhaps hundreds of white american converts to Islam, so it's not unusual at all.

I would say if anything, the white convert to islam is embraced whole heartedly, and then paraded around by other muslims saying, look, we have white people convertings ;D In all seriousness, I've felt comfortable in nearly every muslim community I've been a part of, be it primarily foreign students, immigrants, second generation pakistanis and arabs and in african american circles. While our community is far from perfect when it comes to interracial issues, I'm sure you'll find a place for you.

Someone put together a webpage on white converts to Islam, if you're interested.

UmmSqueakster
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
It would help if I actually gave you the weblink - http://www.geocities.com/jrhalver/

- Qatada -
09-15-2006, 06:17 PM

O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full knowledge and is well acquainted (with all things). (Qur'an 49:13)

Ubaidah
09-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the site Janaan. It's funny because everyone else I've spoken to has been more interested than anything.. this my ONE friend gave the hard time about it.

UmmSqueakster
09-15-2006, 08:54 PM
I just got back from jummah prayer at a predominantely african american masjid in the middle of the ghetto. No problems :D

I hope that the attitude of this one friend doesn't keep you from Islam. I hope we can welcome you soon as a brother in Islam inshaAllah

limitless
09-16-2006, 02:37 AM
:sl:

Personal perspective of mine.

I don't think you would have NO trouble of fitting in with muslims. Just don't let the western cultural thoughts get to you about race, being born in a certain country, and having certain standard.

In Islam, there is NO DIFFERENCE on your skin, beauty, statues, born in a certain country, as long as your a practising brother, know the Islamic and Prophets teachings you will be treated and respected equally. Even though you are not so called a practising brother and does not have enough knowledge, you will still be treated equally regardless of what you are outside, it is the inside that will always count.

:w:

Quruxbadaan
09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
you know some muslims are alwayse going to think a certain way and be a certain way but let us not judge islam by its followers islam is pure and Allah swt is just

there is no difference between the white muslim and the black muslim we are brothers and sisters and will be judged by our actions not by our appearance

Maa salaama

(should be pointed out that there are some people who call themselfs muslim, (Nation of islam) and do and say things that are against islam (racism) )

*Hana*
09-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Yup, me too....Glow in the Dark white...blend with snow...the whole 9 yards! :giggling: I've never had one problem ever, either here in Canada or when I visited Muslim countries. If anything, Muslims born to Muslim families are always very interested in how reverts came to embrace Islam, and are very quick to welcome you with open arms. No such thing as race or colour in Islam.

It's one of the beauties of salaat in the mosque, particularly in the west...you see a beautiful rainbow of colour praying in unison to the one creator. :)

May, Allah, swt, continue to guide you and bring you ever closer to the beauty of Islam. Ameen

Peace,
Hana

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Yea me too. I love reading stories of reverts. It makes me realize how neglectful i can be at times. I give my props to the reverts, Mashallah.
Im not white...but i aint dark either lmao. ok neways :D
Peace

Curaezipirid
09-16-2006, 06:07 AM
Alaikumassalam,

Well I for one believe that you will have no trouble fitting into the mold of Islam. In fact I believe that it is part of Muslim practise to prevent expressions such as that 'personal' one which slipped from limitless, that you might not have NO difficulty, but because of the surrounding society.

I believe that it is an important aspect of Islamic practise to work towards being uneffected by racial discrimination in what ever form it takes and among whom so ever lowers themself.
Literally white skin is transparent. That is the difference; it is a lack of pigment. The pigment can be protective from over exposure and the pigment is often associated with stronger liver function. However, I am not Caucasian, and nor am I Anglo-Saxon, although the white in me is of intermarriage of my Ancestors with Anglo-Saxons. Actually my skin is different in texture from that of most white persons, and also different from East Asian complexion. Less poreous. Australian Aborigines who are white tend to go more wrinkly younger also, and retain an oiler complexion that most caucasions have. We wrinkle up good and proper! I have seen photos of the elderly in places like Afganistan with similar white complexions. Most folk seem to suppose that we just get too much sun. But I am adamant, my parents drilled me upon avoiding sunburn and I am very especially careful in that regard, believing that the skin difference is a matter of cultural expectation in what we perceive of ourself. It is truly about managing the internal attitude to vanity.

I am among the Black Aboriginal Australian Kinship, as well as the local Ummah, and the Ummah connected with the Madhab of the Mosque I occassionally attend. It is very real that most black skin persons are falling to supposing that any white skin person owes them from racial oppression, and so it is that some among black reverts to Islam want their practise to be exclusive of whites. But that is only because they have not yet fully comprehended Islam. There are also many black Muslims in the local Ummah as is the Imam at Mosque. While Muslims may discriminate between the capacities enabled by various biological features (really it is important for white folk to be less in the sunshine that black folk actually need) it is that there is no rating of any biological feature that is sustaining to life as better or worse than any other.

The reality is that racial discrimination, by which any blame is accorded, is all at all times caused by The Dajjal, and is therefore the result only of black magic. Islam just happens to be the Religion that arose within the earliest possible context for fully elucidating the means to avoid black magic. (that is the tricks that the four beasts, who Daniel in the old testament Dreamed, caused by becoming beasts, are acts of black magic that repeat whenever any person falls to such) That is why, will all respect due to Limitless in that I am not aware of the American condition; I must reassure any person considering Islam that there is no need to fear ever being accused of taking a black person's place as a white person within an Islamic world veiw.

Plenty of local blacks here don't like me much just because I am white, but they always provide me with recognition of being in Kinship with. That is how I come to be able to comprehend that a black persons experience is remarkably different. But also that when black persons blame a white person only by cause of being white; they are saddly engaging in the causes of their own oppression. This is the knowledge of Islam. Every person in time will gradually and naturally fall toward that established genetic by which we may best meet the need of our Soul. While I gravitate toward black communities without even intending to; there are black skin folk whom can not help but gravitate towards white social patterns. In Islam we are encouraged to form the habit patterns that are most suited to the very cause of our Soul, rather than the habit patterns of the culture that has produced the specific manifestations of genetics which we inhabit in this day.

It is good to know this fact, since there could be some Mosques local to you which align with a Madhab (school) that have members with a larger proportion of one racial feature or another. But it is not the external manifestations of biology by which such persons belong together. It is the internal mental structures. These accord best aligned with the tribes of Israel. Yet another fact that can define the biology most suited to each our individual Soul is our correct attunement in Allah with the final degree of evolution Allah has foreseen for each of us. Persons whom are more able to accept pain with less complaint and as duty, are more likely to be black; and distinctly are also more enabled in evolution of Spirit, that acccords the practise that Soul need. There are Aboriginal Australians whom like so much complaining about white folk experiencing less pain than they do, that he obvious solution is to let them gradually become white according to an ongoing process since Australia was invaded. But in which surely also some of us learn the hard way to prefer to be a black skin person. So we will all be a mixed bag for a time to come yet, if not quite permanently.

I wonder is there any ahadith about what our racial appearance is likely to be in Jannah?

The local black fellas call me a Mussie Gubborigine. Mussie for Muslim; Gubbah is a white fella; and recognition that I am within Aboriginal cutlure. In our culture we identify by self mockery. So I should quit making so many words while I am ahead?

mu'asalam

Fishman
09-16-2006, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curaezipirid

Literally white skin is transparent. That is the difference; it is a lack of pigment. The pigment can be protective from over exposure and the pigment is often associated with stronger liver function. mu'asalam
I thought you were a Jinn?

Anyway, I'm an Anglo-Muslim, and I have had no problem fitting in with the rest of the Muslims. It's non-Muslims that bug me about race: 'I didn't know you got white Muslims!'

Curaezipirid
09-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Many Jinn are of Australian Aboriginal race when manifesting in Human form.
Glad you so remember me to be.

There is no disparity what so ever between being Jinn and having a sound regard for the Human genetic picture that is based in reality.

Surely it is that it is one among Jinn whom caused all of racism; but I can tell you that he is in much trouble indeed. I could even give you his street address and tell you that he lives just down the street from the Mosque where I pray. But that might be pushing you towards tempting disbelief might it not?
wasalam

- Qatada -
09-16-2006, 10:51 AM

I think it's better that no members describe their personal looks as this can cause unneccessary comments and also can lead to shaytaan tempting a person.

I know it may sound weird, but this is the reality - so please don't.

Jazak Allaahu khayrun.

Zulkiflim
10-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Salaam,

It is simple,you have been guided by Allah to the right path.

Muslims,all muslim are not judged by colour or race,,but rahter by piety ..
So when people look at you diffrently,tell them what Islam is,teach them as you have been taught to the right path.

north_malaysian
10-03-2006, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
'I didn't know you got white Muslims!'
LOL!!! :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Tell them there are millions of white Muslims in Turkey, the Balkans and Russia...

In fact many Arabs, Central asians even some Malays have faces like the "White"..... I remembered my senior having green eyes... yet he's a Malay.

samirkhalifah
05-26-2013, 02:15 AM
ASA
I too am a Caucasian Muslim from East Texas. I can say that I get the looks and the questions about where I am from. Many here in the States have a hard time comprehending that Islam is for all mankind. There is a site that I have put together for the Caucasian Muslim Community. It is called Caucasian Dawah Foundation. This page wont let me post the link but you can google it. Hope that this helps

ASA
Samir Khalifah

Woodrow
05-26-2013, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by samirkhalifah
ASA
I too am a Caucasian Muslim from East Texas. I can say that I get the looks and the questions about where I am from. Many here in the States have a hard time comprehending that Islam is for all mankind. There is a site that I have put together for the Caucasian Muslim Community. It is called Caucasian Dawah Foundation. This page wont let me post the link but you can google it. Hope that this helps

ASA
Samir Khalifah

Interesting. The First time I said the Shahadah in a Mosque was in Tyler, TX

Transplanted Texan living up in North Dakota now.

Used to live in East Texas until moving to Austin and now so far North I think I have to look south to see the North Pole.

greenhill
05-26-2013, 04:55 AM
It seems that we all agree that islam is about the individual's imaan, nothing to do with ancestral lineage, skin colour or even our pass deeds/misdeeds.

What we cannot do is to take out 'prejudices' in people. It will always exist, rightly or wrongly. It may be caused by ignorance or some deeper underlying feelings. It is sad but I hope it will not deter you, Ubaidah.

Peace

samirkhalifah
05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Interesting. The First time I said the Shahadah in a Mosque was in Tyler, TX

Transplanted Texan living up in North Dakota now.

Used to live in East Texas until moving to Austin and now so far North I think I have to look south to see the North Pole.
Yea ETIS I have been to that Mosque. Unfortunately, Many are leaving the Mosque due to drama and conflicts with inner circles. They recently ran their Imam off. It is sad that the very ones who founded the Mosque are the same ones destroying it.

Woodrow
05-27-2013, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samirkhalifah
Yea ETIS I have been to that Mosque. Unfortunately, Many are leaving the Mosque due to drama and conflicts with inner circles. They recently ran their Imam off. It is sad that the very ones who founded the Mosque are the same ones destroying it.
That is very sad to hear. Looking back it was 8 years ago, the third Friday in May 2005 I attended my first Jummat and said the Shahadah in that Masjid. The warmth of my brothers I met that day is still a very strong memory I cherish.

Student1996
05-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Malcom X used to believe that blacks and whites should be separate, but when he went to hajj he saw a white muslim with blue eyes and blonde hair. Since then he realized that we're all brother and sisters. Members of Nation of Islam disagreed with him and killed him. So anyone who belives race is an aspect of Islam might as well despise others who thing we are equal.

truthseeker63
05-28-2013, 04:54 AM
WS Im a White Muslim Revert and Male and American and 25 years of age I have never had any Muslim dislike me for being White or Anglo Saxon/Caucasian/White European American the Muslims I know accept me and view me as a Brother in Islam I have met many Black Men who are Muslims they are friendly towards me the Brother I pray with a lot is African he aaccepts me for who I am. I don't know where People get the idea that White People can't be Muslims since there are Christians and many other Religions which have followers or believers of all Races and Skin Colors why can't Muslims be of all Races too ? Christianity does want to convert others to Christianity to be saved since is why there are Christians of all Races unlike Judaism/Jews which many People view as a Race as well as a Religion.

GuestFellow
05-29-2013, 01:21 PM
I really don't care. I just think everyone is brown but have very different shades of it. Like painting.

truthseeker63
06-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Only the Nation of Islam lead by Louis Farrakhan is the only Sect of Islam that I know of that hates White People/White Europeans/White Men.

Karl
06-22-2013, 02:27 AM
I am white and I can understand non white Muslims to be leary of white Muslims as whites don't have a very good reputation around the world. All that imperialism and the massacres of natives and enslavement not to mention all the dirty wars going on now. Some believe the whites to be demons, the ten tribes of the Anti Christ and all that jazz, maybe true they seem to have the best weapons and giving out the grief all the time. Personnally I don't trust whites as I think they are hard wired for conquest and they can be any religion they like, but they will always fall back into their heathen barbarian default mode when they are under pressure.

crimsontide06
06-22-2013, 02:42 AM
white...family on dad's side are mostly all dark. moms side has irish and dutch so :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.