/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religious leaders denounce use of religion for political ends

glo
09-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Seems like I'm on a roll at the moment ... :giggling:
Here's another multi-faith article. Enjoy! :)

Leaders of major world religions meeting in Kazakhstan made a decision to take a more active role in denouncing intolerance, terrorism and the misuse of religion for political ends.

Religious warfare brings out the worst in people,” said Patriarch Bartholomeos I, Archbishop of Constantinople, addressing 43 delegations representing leaders of Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Shinto, Taoism and Hinduism. “Religious fanaticism is one of the thorniest aspects of the problem and this is where our efforts should focus if we want the world to change,” he said, calling for the teaching of respect and reconciliation “in every synagogue, in every mosque, in every church.”
from http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/ne...religion.shtml

Peace. :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
wilberhum
09-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Title of article:
Religious leaders denounce use of religion for political ends
Statement in article:
Leaders of major world religions meeting in Kazakhstan made a decision to take a more active role in denouncing intolerance, terrorism and the misuse of religion for political ends.
Use and misuse are not the same. So the title is misleading. The group did not denounce the use of religion for political ends.

glo
09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Title of article:

Statement in article:

Use and misuse are not the same. So the title is misleading. The group did not denounce the use of religion for political ends.
Hhhmmm ... not if 'using religion for political ends' is considered to be equivalent to 'misusing religion'. :?
Bizarrely, in a wider sense, this could be interpreted as an argument for secular political systems. Do you think?

wilberhum
09-18-2006, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hhhmmm ... not if 'using religion for political ends' is considered to be equivalent to 'misusing religion'. :?
Bizarrely, in a wider sense, this could be interpreted as an argument for secular political systems. Do you think?

I think misleading titles are used to make a point that was not made. To make things look better than they are. I need no further convincing that a secular political system is the best way to go.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
:sl:

Religion and Politcs should be one in the same, if religion dictates someone's life why should it be kept out of politics.

wilberhum
09-18-2006, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi

Religion and Politcs should be one in the same, if religion dictates someone's life why should it be kept out of politics.
You want religion to dictate you life, fine. Not every one feels that way. The vast population of the world would not want your version of religion to dictate there life. The vast majority wouldn't want mine either. So seperation of church and state is best.

Ghazi
09-18-2006, 07:23 PM
You want religion to dictate you life, fine. Not every one feels that way. The vast population of the world would not want your version of religion to dictate there life. The vast majority wouldn't want mine either. So seperation of church and state is best.

How can a Believer do that, in islam your a muslim 24/7 my religion even dictates how I enter the toilet and sleep, it's a complete way of life, so that's why inshallah when the ummah is revived I say to those who don't want to live under islamic rule to migrate to the west ect.

wilberhum
09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I say to those who don't want to live under islamic rule to migrate to the west ect.
I think creating a country where everyone can live is a far better choice.

Ghazi
09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I think creating a country where everyone can live is a far better choice.

Everyone can live under islamic rule, all you have to do is follow the rules which are the best for humanity.

wilberhum
09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi

Everyone can live under islamic rule, all you have to do is follow the rules which are the best for humanity.
Well only 80% of the world does not agree with you.

InToTheRain
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Well only 80% of the world does not agree with you.
and the 79% just jumped on the wagon not knowing where the 1% who leads it is taking them.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
and the 79% just jumped on the wagon not knowing where the 1% who leads it is taking them.
lmao...lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.