/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ramadan

glo
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Not wanting to jump the gun ... but can I ask what happens after Ramadan? Eid? :?
I've tried to find some information here, but I don't seem to be looking in the right places ...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Ramadan is the 9th month in the Islamic calendar, so after Ramadan comes the 10th month, Shawwal :)

Eid ul Fitr is the first day of Shawwal. It's marked with a special eid prayer in the morning, and then depending on the country/culture, various festivities throughout that and subsequent days.

During the 12th month of the hijri calendar, Dhu al-Hijjah, the 10th day is Eid al Adhu.

Mawaddah
09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes Glo after Ramdhaan it's Eid :D we look out for the new moon and then when we sight it the day after that is Eid prayers :)

glo
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Yes Glo after Ramdhaan it's Eid :D we look out for the new moon and then when we sight it the day after that is Eid prayers :)
What happens at Eid?
Would it be appropriate to give the children of Muslim neighbours small presents? Or is that not okay? (I wouldn't want to offend ...!) :uuh:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ghazi
09-15-2006, 04:23 PM
:sl:

The Devel comes back after taken a short vaction.

Malaikah
09-21-2006, 02:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
What happens at Eid?
Would it be appropriate to give the children of Muslim neighbours small presents? Or is that not okay? (I wouldn't want to offend ...!) :uuh:
Glo, i dont think anyone would be offended by that! :)

glo
09-21-2006, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
Glo, i dont think anyone would be offended by that! :)
What kind of present would be okay? It's for two boys (9 and 10).

S_87
09-21-2006, 09:19 PM
:sl:

anything! toys, chocolates etc :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Sometimes people will also give money. You can give whatever u find appropriate =))

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-22-2006, 12:00 AM
I have a question about the sighting. Isn't it true that its "not" recommended to sight the moon with the naked eye? That any method of calculation is acceptable. Or am I mixing myself up lol =\

Malaikah
09-22-2006, 02:08 AM
^lol sis, the moon must be seen with the naked eye before ramadan can start! and the calculations cant be used alone, they can only be used as a help on the side

for example, if someone said he saw the moon but the maths say its impossible then we can assume that he didnt see it, maybe he saw something else (like a ufo:p) but if someone says he saw the moon we cant say yeh thats right he must have seen it because the maths says its there... and also if the maths says the moon is there but no one saw it, we cant say that its there lets start fasting, it has to be seen with the naked eye first

also u can use telescope doesnt have to be naked eye

:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-22-2006, 02:18 AM
okiee i jus asked cuz i had read what i mentioned to ya =D
kk thnx =P

north_malaysian
09-24-2006, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
What kind of present would be okay? It's for two boys (9 and 10).

In Malaysia, if the children is your family or closed relatives, we would buy them new clothes for Eid.

But if they are kids of our neighbours, or friends... we will give them money (between RM1.00 to RM10.00 - depends to how do you like them or their closeness with your family..) and put it in green envelops (I hope my clients would give me lots of those green 'ang-pow' - small envelops to put money with some Eid decorations). I spent RM500.00 every year just for this purpose.... as there are lots of kids here!!! But as long as they are happy... I'm happy.

glo
09-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks north_malaysian. You are very helpful! :)

I wonder if anybody can tell me what the Eid practices are (with regards to giving presents to a Muslim neighbour's children) here in the UK?

Thanks, peepz! :)

Sakeena
09-24-2006, 09:03 PM
Hi Glo,

You can give what ever you like, that is one of the wonderful things about Eid. There is no specifics, if you know what kind of toys they like then maybe that could give you some ideas. or just give them some money, maybe
_< £5.00 for each. I never know what to buy so i just give the kids some money, this way they can spend how they like.

glo
09-24-2006, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sakeena
Hi Glo,

You can give what ever you like, that is one of the wonderful things about Eid. There is no specifics, if you know what kind of toys they like then maybe that could give you some ideas. or just give them some money, maybe
_< £5.00 for each. I never know what to buy so i just give the kids some money, this way they can spend how they like.
Thanks, Sakeena! :)

north_malaysian
09-25-2006, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sakeena
Hi Glo,

When I was a kid, I PREFER money than some gift because I can spend it to buy whatever I want!!:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Usually, I managed to get RM300.00 every year......:okay: But now it's my turn to make those kids 'richer'!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.