/* */

PDA

View Full Version : In this Life is There a Punishment for Shirk in this Life or Is There Not?

Hijrah
09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
"I have been ordered to fight the people until they testify that there is no deity worthy of worship other than Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, establish the prayer, and pay zakat, and if they do this, then their blood and money shall be protected from me, except by an Islamic right, and their account will be with Allah.

Now, I am well aware how this Hadith is concerning those who are waging war with you as Ibn Taimiyyah said:

“It refers to fighting those who are waging war, whom Allah has permitted us to fight. It does not refer to those who have a covenant with us with whom Allah commands us to fulfill our covenant.” (Majmu` al-Fatawa 19/20)

To my knowledge Muhammad, Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam, said this in accordance with this Verse:

"But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."

Now I'm well aware that this was concerning people who broke their treaties and even those hadn't committed similar atrocities before as is evident here:

“Except for those pagans with whom you have entered into a covenant and who then do not break their covenant at all nor aided anyone against you. So fulfill your engagements with them until the end of their term, for Allah loves the righteous.” [Sûrah al-Tawbah: 4]

But what was to be done with these people who had broken their covenant after the end of their term? This is the question I have and is the reason the question stated in the thread title has been bugging me and I am also aware that if any of the mushriqs were seeking protection it was granted to them.

But even, after all these verses, including those revealed in Madinah, condemning the compulsion of people into Islam, you still have things such as this that seem(keyword SEEM) to contradict that. For example what is meant by this here?:

Hazrat Abu Hurairah (R.A.A.) referring to the Quranic verse: 'You are the best community that hath been raised up for mankind.' (3 : 110) says that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: 'The best persons for mankind are those who pull (recalcitrant) people with chains round their necks, till they join Islam. (Riyadh-Us-Saleheen, 1839; Bukhari)

Just wondering,
:sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.