/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Infidels

evangel
09-17-2006, 11:43 AM
What exactly is the Muslim definition of an infidel?

Matthew 12:30
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
09-17-2006, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by evangel
What exactly is an infidel?

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.
hmmmm...infidels...:hmm: peepz...if a person is an infidel it cant b a fact...its only an opinion...accordin to u ne1 dat dnt follow christianity is an infidel...2 u its a fact since to u christianity is a fact hus nefin based upon dat is a fact to u ryt...u gettin ma point:?...n dat applies to all religion n atheism too...as a mattr of fact it applies to evry1 regardless o dereligion dey follow :)

^ did i make sense der :? :?

:w:

Trumble
09-17-2006, 12:17 PM
An infidel is person who does not believe in your particular religion or God. For a muslim that would mean someone who does not accept islam.

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 12:18 PM
What exactly is an infidel?

The cynical writer Ambrose Bierce probably defined it best. "In Constantinople it is somebody who lives in New York. In New York it is somebody who lives in Consantinople"

Strange thing is it is an English word and I have never heard an Arabic Speaking person use it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-17-2006, 12:30 PM
According to the dictionary:

Dictionary
Directory > Words > Dictionary in·fi·del (ĭn'fĭ-dəl, -dĕl')
n.
Offensive. An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
One who has no religious beliefs.
One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.
[Middle English infidele, from Old French, from Latin īnfidēlis, disloyal : in-, not; see in–1 + fidēlis, faithful (from fidēs, faith).]

The closest Arabic word for it would be Kafir.

Trumble
09-17-2006, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Strange thing is it is an English word and I have never heard an Arabic Speaking person use it.
I don't think I've ever heard an English speaker use it outside of 'historical' movies either!

Muezzin
09-17-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I don't think I've ever heard an English speaker use it outside of 'historical' movies either!
Where the heck did this word come from?! It's a rogue meme! :p

(note: I think it's from the Latin infidelis 'unfaithful', and then later 'unbelieving' - Isn't etymology great?)

Woodrow
09-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Funny thing is all of the old English language books and movies have us running around calling everybody infidels as if infidel was an Arabic word

جوري
09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Funny thing is all of the old English language books and movies have us running around calling everybody infidels as if infidel was an Arabic word
Yes that amongst other things.... just saw some disgusting deragtory anti-muslim clothes sold on a popular site.... what can I say but 7asbya Allah wa ni3ma Alwakeel....... I never could imagine people running around so proud displaying their ignorance like a badge of honor....

Vishnu
09-17-2006, 02:43 PM
in‧fi‧del  /ˈɪn

dl, -ˌdɛl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-fi-dl, -del] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1.Religion. a.a person who does not accept a particular faith, esp. Christianity. b.(in Christian use) an unbeliever, esp. a Muslim. c.(in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kaffir.
2.a person who has no religious faith; unbeliever.
3.(loosely) a person who disbelieves or doubts a particular theory, belief, creed, etc.; skeptic. –adjective
4.not accepting a particular faith, esp. Christianity or Islam; heathen.
5.without religious faith.
6.due to or manifesting unbelief: infidel ideas.
7.rejecting the Christian religion while accepting no other; not believing in the Bible or any Christian divine revelation.

8.Also, in‧fi‧del‧ic /ˌɪn

fɪˈdɛl

ɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-fi-del-ik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of unbelievers or infidels.
[Origin: 1425–75; late ME < LL infidēlis unbelieving, L: unfaithful, treacherous. See in-3, feal]

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-17-2006, 03:03 PM
What exactly is the Muslim definition of an infidel?
There is no 'muslim definition' of it because it is not a muslim term to begin with. It is an archaic term from the late 15th century mostly used by Christians to refer mostly to Muslims. By definition, it refers to anyone who is not following one's own faith (latin infidēlis, or unbelieving). The funny thing is when people ask, "Do you really consider people who don't follow your faith to be infidels?" If you translate what 'infidel' means, then they are asking, "Do you really consider people who don't follow your faith to be people not following your faith?", which is a rhetorical question.

Peace :)

KAding
09-17-2006, 03:39 PM
I noticed most Muslims use 'disbeliever' or 'kaffir' when they talk about infidels.

starfortress
09-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Here i get from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel

i guess it fair in any relegion usage with different name but with the same meaning.

starfortress
09-17-2006, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=starfortress;491020]Here i get from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infidel

Keltoi
09-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I know that Pope Urban II used the term "infidel" in his famous speech at Clermont that set off the 1st Crusade. I do believe the root of this term comes from Latin. Here is a part of the speech from 1095.

"Let those who in the past have been accustomed to spread private war so vilely among the faithful advance against the infidels....Let those who were formerly brigands now become soldiers of Christ; those who once waged war against their brothers and blood-relatives fight lawfully against barbarians, those who until now have been mercenaries for a few coins achieve eternal rewards."

Only reason I typed out the whole part of the speech was to shed light on its context.

north_malaysian
09-19-2006, 09:08 AM
I think infidels are people who dont belong to either Islam, Christianity, Judaism or Zoroastrianism...

Becoz Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians are considered people of the book.

Goku
09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I think infidels are people who dont belong to either Islam, Christianity, Judaism or Zoroastrianism...

Becoz Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians are considered people of the book.
Zoroastrians are people of the book? Other than Jews and Christians, I have only heard of Sabiens as "people of the book"

Ayesha Rana
09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Who exactly are the Sabiens?

nishom
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Islam is a mutual contract or charter between God and His creation for one's own benefits. Therefore in this charter, there are promises given by God and there are obligations for His creation in return, if one wishes to join the charter for his own benefits.

According to Koran 2:62 or Koran 5:69, God offers this charter not only to the believers, but also to Jewish, Nazarenes (a.k.a Christians) and others. The believers are the followers of the last prophet, Muhammad. This charter is repeated twice in the Koran just to make sure you don't accidentally miss it.

"Those

who believe, and
those who are Jewish, and
the Sabiens, and
the Nazarenes;
whoever of them

believes in God and
the Last Day and
does good works,
then they

will have nothing to fear
nor will they grieve."

AvarAllahNoor
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Glacier*+
hmmmm...infidels...:hmm: peepz...if a person is an infidel it cant b a fact...its only an opinion...accordin to u ne1 dat dnt follow christianity is an infidel...2 u its a fact since to u christianity is a fact hus nefin based upon dat is a fact to u ryt...u gettin ma point:?...n dat applies to all religion n atheism too...as a mattr of fact it applies to evry1 regardless o dereligion dey follow :)

^ did i make sense der :? :?

:w:
Well it would be nice if you used the english language better . No offence though. I'm sure you don't write like that at school? :)

- Qatada -
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ayesha Rana
Who exactly are the Sabiens?

:salamext:

[Tafsir Al-Qur'an] What is a Sabian?

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...hlight=sabians

MuslimCONVERT
09-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I think it has been widely shown that Muslims do not use the word infidel, and that the closest Arabic equivalent is Kafr. Kafr is a word used to describe not those who disbelieve in Islam, but rather those who realize in their minds and/or hearts that Islam is the truth but reject it anyways. That is the only true definition of the word Kafr. In fact, that's where we get the English word "cover" -from Kafr, because Kafr's "cover" the truth. Regarding other types of disbelievers, there are varying opinions on this matter. The opinion I follow is that of Imam Ghazali who placed 2 out of 3 categories of disbeliever in paradise, and placed only the Kafr category of disbeliever in the hellfire.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Well it would be nice if you used the english language better . No offence though. I'm sure you don't write like that at school? :)
lol good ol Avar...jus what we need...=P

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT
I think it has been widely shown that Muslims do not use the word infidel, and that the closest Arabic equivalent is Kafr. Kafr is a word used to describe not those who disbelieve in Islam, but rather those who realize in their minds and/or hearts that Islam is the truth but reject it anyways. That is the only true definition of the word Kafr. In fact, that's where we get the English word "cover" -from Kafr, because Kafr's "cover" the truth. Regarding other types of disbelievers, there are varying opinions on this matter. The opinion I follow is that of Imam Ghazali who placed 2 out of 3 categories of disbeliever in paradise, and placed only the Kafr category of disbeliever in the hellfire.
Thats right. Ive actually heard something similar to this by Yusuf Estes.

جوري
09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
are sabeans the same as madeans? the ones who stopped believing in mesangers after (john the baptist) prophet Ya7ya 3lyhi aslaam? some of them are still found today in parts of Iraq????

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
Zoroastrians are people of the book?"
It's a suggestion by Sheikh Yusuf Al Qardhawi in "Al Halal wal Haram fil ISlam"

KAding
09-20-2006, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT
I think it has been widely shown that Muslims do not use the word infidel, and that the closest Arabic equivalent is Kafr. Kafr is a word used to describe not those who disbelieve in Islam, but rather those who realize in their minds and/or hearts that Islam is the truth but reject it anyways. That is the only true definition of the word Kafr.
So there are no kaffirs? Why would anyone deny something they believe to be true? What motive do they have?

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Why would anyone deny something they believe to be true? What motive do they have?

Some people do it because they aren't prepared to submit themselves to Allaah Almighty. An example of this is Abu Jahl, he knew that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the Messenger of Allaah, but he rejected him due to the fact that he was a prophet, and no-one from the family of Abu Jahl was a prophet. It was a matter of pride for him.

The same can be said about people who know that islam is the truth - but they don't want to keep up with the duties of islaam i.e. salaah (the 5 daily prayers) etc. They feel their too important to bow down to anyone, even if that mean's bowing to their Creator - Allaah Almighty. The same can be said about iblees (satan) who never bowed when Allaah commanded him to, why did he do it? Out of arrogance and pride.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

AvarAllahNoor
09-21-2006, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
lol good ol Avar...jus what we need...=P
lol - I didn't mean to offend but writing like that is very confusing. On mobiles or msn it's fine ( i do it myself) but it gets difficult to read on here!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.