/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Famous Muslims

sartajc
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm starting a project thats trying to document famous Muslims from around the world. Its located at http://famousmuslims.muslimonline.org .

I already have a few articles. go check them out. Problem is, theres lots of famous Muslims, so i really need some help adding articles. if you are interested, you can email me at admin@muslimonline. If youve ever done a report on a famous Muslim or whatever, it would be really nice if you could give it to me so that i can post it on the site.

The goal of this site is because there is no decent famous muslims site on the internet, and im thinking there should be.

What do you think of this project?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Inshallah
09-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Not a bad idea, something different for a change.

Muhammad Ali is a big one you've missed out, probably the most famous muslim out there.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar for sure.

Good idea, keep it up.

sartajc
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah i know im still working on it, but the problem is i need some help making articles. can anyone help me?

AHMED_GUREY
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
is michael hee HEE jackson muslim?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I dont think MJ is Muslim, but his brother is! Forgot his name though.

sartajc
09-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Read the articles brothers and sisters, Michael Jackson is a Muslim. He coverted to Nation of Islam in 2003 and Sunni in 2005.

Hijrah
09-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Dave Chapelle

LOL @ michael Jackson, u got a source?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-26-2006, 02:34 AM
really?? I had heard he was, but I thought it wasnt true..
Interesting..

Woodrow
09-26-2006, 02:37 AM
Sounds like an excellent endeavor.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-26-2006, 02:38 AM
I still cant comprehend that its true...O.O lol

sartajc
09-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Read the article people. Its 100% true. Jackson is Muslim. I have references at the bottom. If you don't believe it, google it. It's everywhere.

Anyway, anyone want to help me out?

Muezzin
09-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Chappelle is Muslim? Mashallah. The dude cracks me up! :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Yea LOL. dude is funni..=)

Hijrah
09-28-2006, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Chappelle is Muslim? Mashallah. The dude cracks me up! :D
I even read somewhere, he is as a matter of fact DEVOUT!

AHMED_GUREY
09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Amir Khan

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Imran Khan =)

Muezzin
09-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Shere Khan

...I'm kidding.

Curaezipirid
09-29-2006, 05:42 AM
There is an Australian Aboriginal boxer called Anthony Mundine who is very famous in Australian and is a Muslim. Try looking for articles about him at www.koorimail.com

i_m_tipu
09-29-2006, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Shere Khan

...I'm kidding.
Shere Khan:?

Dr. Jakir Nanik

Muezzin
09-29-2006, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu
Shere Khan:?
Read the Jungle Book. ;)

Abdulwaheed
09-29-2006, 06:01 AM
hahaha Shere Khan. Thats funny! I was suprised when i heard that dave chappelle was muslim too. He apparently doesnt publicize it because he doesnt want people to think that he is representative of how muslims should behave... or something like that :D

Malaikah
09-29-2006, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sartajc
Read the article people. Its 100% true. Jackson is Muslim. I have references at the bottom. If you don't believe it, google it. It's everywhere.
:sl:

I recommend you double-check your sources... this rumour has been around for ages, and unless you hear from his own mouth, dont believe it.

It's not going to look to great for your website if you have mistakes in there :rollseyes

north_malaysian
09-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Marat Safin is a Muslim too . .. but not practicing

Abdulwaheed
09-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Zinedine Zidane is muslim too isnt he? i dunno if he's practicing or not.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-29-2006, 02:46 PM
He is...thats not how his name is realli said. Thats how they say it where he lives.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Laila Ali, the women boxer. Muhammads Ali's daughter.
dunno if she is practicing either.

nishom
09-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Robin Van Persie,

Arsenal And Holland Striker (football)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Abdul Kareem Jabbar is a Basketball player. Formerly known as Lewis Alcindor.

Dante Smith a.k.a Mos Def

Hijrah
09-29-2006, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

I recommend you double-check your sources... this rumour has been around for ages, and unless you hear from his own mouth, dont believe it.

It's not going to look to great for your website if you have mistakes in there :rollseyes
he has sources on his website.

aamirsaab
09-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Why am I not on that list? :cry:

sartajc
09-29-2006, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

My sources include reputable news articles like CBS and the Arab-Israeli newspaper Panorama. In fact that is a direct source because Panorama directly says that he converted. And direct words from the Nation of Islam's publication reporter. And hes building a mosque. This is no rumor. The only thing jackson actually has declared in public recently has to do with the child molestation charges. Everything else is through his publiciters who talk with news articles. and i have just that. so i dont see whats wrong with it at all. I know it used to be a rumor back in the early 2000s, but now in 06 it is fact.

btw, panorama is a real newspaper. i didnt add it as a source cause the site is in arabic. but heres a link that shows its real: http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/israel.htm

Sources also include The star's spokeswoman RAYMONE BAIN who says, "Michael is looking to give something back to the country that has welcomed him so openly.
And it include Discover Islam spokesman AMAN KHALIB adds, "Thousands of people are embracing Islam, Michael is just one of them."

AND ONE MORE I JUST FOUND: HIS EX-WIFE: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...el_Jackson.php

WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED????
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Why am I not on that list? :cry:
give a biography of yourself and you wlil :giggling: jk.

-----------------------------------------

btw, thanks everyone for your idea. ill work on them. keep the ideas coming. what would be even cooler is if you gave me your own article about that person. i would add your name as the author at teh ed.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-30-2006, 12:05 AM
theres also a rapper named Common. I'm sure some of u know =)

Hijrah
09-30-2006, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
theres also a rapper named Common. I'm sure some of u know =)
he's Not Muslim, is He?

all I know is several members of The Roots are Muslim, and yea there are quite a few rappers that are...

Lupe Fiasco, a rapper that is working with Kanye West did a song about Muhammad (S)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-30-2006, 12:13 AM
well im not sure actually. The website i saw it at said tupac shakur was Muslim. But everyone is claiming he's not. So maybe common isnt...no clue lol.
Oh yea don't forget Jermane Jackson, MJ's brother.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Haiqa Khan – formerly Jemimah Goldsmith, Jewish daughter of billionaire Sir James. At the age of 21, she married famous Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan, reverted to Islam and took a Muslim name.

Abdullah Ibn Buhaina (1919-1990), also known as Art Blakey. He is an American drummer and jazz musician.

Fareed Kamal – formerly Jonathan Davis. He is more popularly known as Q-tip, th former member of A Tribe Called Quest. He converted to Islam around 1996.

Mohammad Asad (1900-1992) – formerly Leopold Weiss, born in Lwow, Galicia now in Poland, to a Jewish father in 1900. Asad was an Austrian statesman, journalist, and leading Muslim scholar, who reverted to Islam in 1926. Asad was a former foreign correspondent for the Frankfuerter Zeitung, and is best known for his books, “Islam at the Crossroads,” and “Road to Mecca,” and for his English translation of the Qur'an.

Margaret Marcus – a Jewish American essayist, poet, journalist and author of several books. She reverted from Judaism to Islam in 1962 and changed her name to Maryam Jameelah.

Michael Wolfe - writer and author best known for his documentary on ABC’s Nightline, called An American in Mecca. The documentary, which aired in April 1997, took viewers along with Wolfe on his pilgrimage to Hajj. Wolfe was born of a Christian mother and Jewish father. Since converting to Islam he has written several books on the Islamic faith.

Abdulwaheed
09-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Mos Def Is muslim?? thats interesting!
Tupac wasnt muslim. he had a song out about a really good friend of his who turned muslim and got married. And he was saying how he supports it, but i dont think he became muslim!

His last name is Arabic though.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-30-2006, 01:57 AM
yea it is, thats why their is confusion. Who knows, he might have been thinking about it or he was in his heart. Yeaa mos def is Muslim, well i thinkso lol.
Allah knows best!

Curaezipirid
09-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the names of a few well known Jews who converted; I am needing that to convince my family of the worth of considering Islam. Aboriginal Australia is still divided between Islamic accounting for ourself and Judaic, but not by fault only by the natural course of Human endeavour. However I've been going on and on about how the Jews will inevitably eventually all convert, and needed to evidence that fact to my father. So thankyou.

wasalam

Andaraawus
09-30-2006, 03:29 AM
are you Ridicurepa from Islam Global?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-30-2006, 07:49 PM
You are very welcome! :)

al Amaanah
09-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Wa Allahu A3lam!

Hijrah
10-01-2006, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
Mos Def Is muslim?? thats interesting!
Tupac wasnt muslim. he had a song out about a really good friend of his who turned muslim and got married. And he was saying how he supports it, but i dont think he became muslim!

Mos Def is quite blatantly Muslim, he has released two albums and at the beginning of both of them U hear, "Bismillah-ir-Rahman-ir-Raheem"

Abdulwaheed
10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Well i didnt know that because i dont have any of his albums. Good to know though :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-01-2006, 02:40 PM
yea he did have that..neways any others? im still diggin :)

Khattab
10-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Frank Ribery, Frederic Kanoute, Kolo Toure, Robert Van Persie, Omar Troussier (formerly Philipphe), Bruno Metsu, Bernard Hopkins, Hasim Rahman, Danny Williams.

Nusaybah
10-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I think that we should stop listing those who we heard or thought were muslims. Apparently there are a lot of non-practicing Muslims out there and if those celebrities are still doing evil deeds even though they converted, forget mentioning them. Besides we don't only have to mention those who the non-Muslims know, we can also mention our own celebrities that we imitate like our favorite shiekhs, quran recitors and so on. Here are some celebrities who we are 100% Muslims
Ahmed Deedat
Khalid Yasin
Yusuf Islam
Native Deen
Zain Bhikha
Sami Yusuf
Mustafa Akkad --- producer of "The Message" and "Lion of the Desert"

north_malaysian
10-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Hala Gorani - CNN journalis+

Laila Murad - Arabic singer, her former religion was Judaism....
Omar Sharif - ac+or, his former religion was Or+hodox Chris+ian...

I +hink +here is a lis+ of famous muslims in wikipedia +ha+ u can refer +o...

sartajc
10-02-2006, 03:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed

Thats Napoleon you speak of. Hes on my site.

sartajc
10-02-2006, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
he's Not Muslim, is He?

all I know is several members of The Roots are Muslim, and yea there are quite a few rappers that are...

Lupe Fiasco, a rapper that is working with Kanye West did a song about Muhammad (S)
Lupe Fiasco is 100% Muslim and a fairly good one. So is Talib Kweli.

Im not gonna add tupac or anyone that are skeptical. only 100% true ones.

Is common Muslim? i didnt know that. If some gives me proof ill add him.

Also can people give me some bios cause i dont want to type all these up. I have college. If anyone wants to help me by being an author pls email me at admin@muslimonline.org

Umu 'Isa
10-02-2006, 04:07 AM
I don't think Lupe Fiasco and Talib kweli are what you call 'good' musims seeing they rap about alcohol and other *stuff* :rollseyes Subhan Allah.

What about Massari? He's in the hip hop/r&b industry, sometimes sings in arabic. I think he's from lebanese background. I'm not sure if he's muslim though or a good one at that. Allahu 'alem.

sartajc
10-02-2006, 06:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ladee_Maryam
I don't think Lupe Fiasco and Talib kweli are what you call 'good' musims seeing they rap about alcohol and other *stuff* :rollseyes Subhan Allah.

What about Massari? He's in the hip hop/r&b industry, sometimes sings in arabic. I think he's from lebanese background. I'm not sure if he's muslim though or a good one at that. Allahu 'alem.
I meant decent. They rap about that stuff for a reason. Because if they rap nothing but good they wont get any records sold and no one will listen to their actual message. If ppl listen to the bad and like it, then they will have to listen to the good too and listen to that. its a technique in music. i forgot the name of it.

For example, Talib Kweli in one of his songs honors all the prophets (Around my Way feat John Legend) and Lupe Fiasco has some stuff about Muhammed and for the most part raps about being yourself and not following society.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Yea I wonder the same about Massari. Some Arab Christians will have a Muslim name in there. He might be Christian who knows.
Allahu Alam.

Hijrah
10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ladee_Maryam

Lupe doesn't rap about alcohol, he condemned it in one of his songs, he released an album called 'Food and Liquor' representing what is good(food) and what is bad(liquor)

and I don't think Talib is Muslim

Sal3ma 7
10-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Here r some Famous Muslims names:

Greatest Sports Person of all Time: Muhammad Ali

The Handsome Legend: Imran Khan

Football Hero: Ali Daei

Football Great: Zinedine Zidane

Moroccan Rocket: Hicham El Guerrouj

Mister Showman: Prince Naseem Hamed

Iranian Hercules: Rezazadeh Hossein

Greatest Basketball Player: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Hakeem the Dream

Squash Immortal: Jehangir Khan

Matthew Saad Muhammad

Saeed Anwar

http://www.famousmuslims.com

doodlebug
10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
I thought the Nation of Islam wasn't at all islamic. . . but that's just me.

*charisma*
10-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

My all time favorite would be:

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

His biography is soo..mashallah, really amazing story.

One thing he said that really caught my attention was he would wake up for basketball practice around 4/5 am in the morning, and he thought it was Allah preparing him to wake up for fajr when he converted. subhanallah

He's particulary famous for refusing to stand up for the national anthem because he said the American flag represented oppression. He was suspended from his games for two days until he compromised to stand up and pray rather than stand up for the flag itself.

here are some articles you may find useful

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...es&match=exact

I just love that pic subhanallah

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-04-2006, 02:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
I thought the Nation of Islam wasn't at all islamic. . . but that's just me.
They aren't Islamic.
Their belief in the superiority of blacks goes against the very ethics of Islam. Also bringing Allah(swt) in the form of a human and another prophet after Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) (astaghfirullah). It's the complete opposite. Islam is for everyone.

sartajc
10-05-2006, 04:42 AM
They aren't Islamic.
Their belief in the superiority of blacks goes against the very ethics of Islam. Also bringing Allah(swt) in the form of a human and another prophet after Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) (astaghfirullah). It's the complete opposite. Islam is for everyone.
Its true that the Nation of Islam's racism isn't Islamic. But at the same time a Muslim is someone who states the kalimah. And they state it. Technically making them Muslims.

Whether they are believers or not is a different story and a different debate.

north_malaysian
10-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Its true that the Nation of Islam's racism isn't Islamic. But at the same time a Muslim is someone who states the kalimah. And they state it. Technically making them Muslims.

Whether they are believers or not is a different story and a different debate.
Yeah for me whosoever wants to call himself a Muslim, I'll call him a Muslim. When it comes to belief and practices that's between him and God.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-07-2006, 11:57 PM
i wont call them Muslim because putting Allah in human form(Astaghfirullah) would be another form of shirk. So in my eyes they aren't but i guess i cant judge.

mohammed farah
10-08-2006, 12:27 AM
nicholas anelka is a muslim converted in 2002 and im not sure but i thing eric abidal is muslim aswell

sartajc
10-08-2006, 07:45 PM
i wont call them Muslim because putting Allah in human form(Astaghfirullah) would be another form of shirk. So in my eyes they aren't but i guess i cant judge.
Nation of Islam doesnt put Allah in human form.

Fishman
10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes it does, they say that the 'black man' is Allaah (swt), and that Allaah (swt) appeared in the form of Elijah Muhammad!
:w:

Maimunah
10-08-2006, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Yes it does, they say that the 'black man' is Allaah (swt), and that Allaah (swt) appeared in the form of Elijah Muhammad!
subhanaAllah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-09-2006, 01:28 AM
yes they do...i had myspace once and someone from NOI added me and his page was full of it....
Astaghfirullah. But i deleted it cuz u know it was kinda pointless lol.

muzna
10-09-2006, 08:52 AM
wasnt nation of islam started by someone in the last century..i read that on wikipedia sometime ago

Fishman
10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muzna
wasnt nation of islam started by someone in the last century..i read that on wikipedia sometime ago
Yup.

Hawa
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
anyone mentioned Malik el-Shabbaz (Malcom X)?

sartajc
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

1. WE BELIEVE In the One God whose proper Name is Allah.
2. WE BELIEVE in the Holy Qur'an and in the Scriptures of all the Prophets of God.
3. WE BELIEVE in the truth of the Bible, but we believe that it has been tampered with and must be reinterpreted so that mankind will not be snared by the falsehoods that have been added to it.
4. WE BELIEVE in Allah's Prophets and the Scriptures they brought to the people.
5. WE BELIEVE in the resurrection of the dead--not in physical resurrection--but in mental resurrection. We believe that the so-called Negroes are most in need of mental resurrection; therefore they will be resurrected first.
Furthermore, we believe we are the people of God's choice, as it has been written, that God would choose the rejected and the despised. We can find no other persons fitting this description in these last days more than the so-called Negroes in America. We believe in the resurrection of the righteous.
6. WE BELIEVE in the judgment; we believe this first judgment will take place as God revealed, in America.
7. WE BELIEVE this is the time in history for the separation of the so-called Negroes and the so-called white Americans. We believe the black man should be freed in name as well as in fact. By this we mean that he should be freed from the names imposed upon him by his former slave masters. Names which identified him as being the slave master's slave. We believe that if we are free indeed, we should go in our own people's names--the black people of the Earth.
8. WE BELIEVE in justice for all, whether in God or not; we believe as others, that we are due equal justice as human beings. We believe in equality--as a nation--of equals. We do not believe that we are equal with our slave masters in the status of "freed slaves."
We recognize and respect American citizens as independent peoples and we respect their laws which govern this nation.
9. WE BELIEVE that the offer of integration is hypocritical and is made by those who are trying to deceive the black peoples into believing that their 400-year-old open enemies of freedom, justice and equality are, all of a sudden, their "friends." Furthermore, we believe that such deception is intended to prevent black people from realizing that the time in history has arrived for the separation from the whites of this nation.
If the white people are truthful about their professed friendship toward the so-called Negro, they can prove it by dividing up America with their slaves.
We do not believe that America will ever be able to furnish enough jobs for her own millions of unemployed, in addition to jobs for the 20,000,000 black people as well.
10. WE BELIEVE that we who declare ourselves to be righteous Muslims, should not participate in wars which take the lives of humans. We do not believe this nation should force us to take part in such wars, for we have nothing to gain from it unless America agrees to give us the necessary territory wherein we may have something to fight for.
11. WE BELIEVE our women should be respected and protected as the women of other nationalities are respected and protected.
12. WE BELIEVE that Allah (God) appeared in the Person of Master W. Fard Muhammad, July, 1930; the long-awaited "Messiah" of the Christians and the "Mahdi" of the Muslims.

We believe further and lastly that Allah is God and besides HIM there is no god and He will bring about a universal government of peace wherein we all can live in peace together.
Oh your right. My bad.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-09-2006, 11:24 PM
yea LOL. they totally ruin it by doing that, Astaghfirullah. I dont understand how people would fall for that. Islam has been around for a loongg timee and NOI started wen, like recently? :heated: It was more like a movement...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.