/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Jesus Camp" !!???

ishkabab
09-19-2006, 12:14 AM
:sl:
Did any of you hear bout this movie thats suppose to come out?.....
i dont really watch movies but i came across this one cause it came up on the news.....heres a short review about it.....(I think its CRAZY):heated:

Synopsis
The youngest foot soldiers for the Lord are shown in their native environment in this documentary. Becky Fisher is a children's pastor who runs "Kids on Fire," a summer camp for evangelical Christian children in North Dakota. Fisher believes in the political and moral importance of a Christian presence in America, and uses her camp to reinforce the religious training most of her charges are already receiving at home (the majority of the campers are home-schooled by their parents). Using video games, animated videos, and group activities to help put her message across, Fisher encourages the kids to pray for George W. Bush and his Supreme Court appointees while urging them to help "take back America for Christ." For the most part, the children seem reasonably ordinary beyond the fact they pray with uncommon fervor and sometimes speak in tongues. Along with Fisher and her cohorts, Jesus Camp features interviews with Ted Haggard, an evangelist and advisor to George W. Bush, and Mike Papantonio, a Christian talk show host who believes the right-wing slant of many Christian evangelists is taking the church into a dangerous direction. Jesus Camp was directed by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady, who previously made the acclaimed The Boys of Baraka.

:rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
09-19-2006, 01:14 PM
The evangelical subculture in the US is fascinating. I took a course on it my freshman year of college, and it was quite an eye opener. I'm definately looking forward to seeing the movie. If anyone is looking for more info, Mine Eyes have seen the glory is an excellent book on the subject.

glo
09-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I found this article, which may demonstrate that not all Christians, not even all evangelical American Christians support this kind of thing. (Just thought it was worth adding a little balance :))

A documentary film to be released this weekend in the US about an Evangelical camp in America which trains children to be preachers, has triggered controversy.

The film, 'Jesus Camp', features a bible school which, somewhat ironically, is held at a place called 'Devil’s Lake' in North Dakota.

[...]
A growing number of Evangelical Christians believe there is a 'revival' underway in America that requires Christian youth to assume leadership roles in advocating the causes of their religious movement.

The documentary follows these children at camp as they are schooled in how to "take back America for Christ."

It has however divided Evangelicals, with some saying it is designed to demonise them, whilst others take it as a fair reflection.

[...]
Here is the full article:
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/ne...esuscamp.shtml

Ubaidah
09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
My oh my... that's just wrong.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ishkabab
09-22-2006, 01:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I found this article, which may demonstrate that not all Christians, not even all evangelical American Christians support this kind of thing. (Just thought it was worth adding a little balance :))

Here is the full article:
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/ne...esuscamp.shtml
interesting....

AvarAllahNoor
10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Becky Fisher is a loony! - Many Christian groups have shown their disamy to how she conducts this 'Camp'

I love the way she refers to 'Our enemies' lol that is funny.

That demented freak forgets JESUS WAS ABOUT LOVE AND NOT WHAT SHE PORTRAYS HIM TO BE!

Grace Seeker
01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Yes, there are some "loonies" at Jesus Camp. But beyond that....

It might be helpful to define what is meant by the term "evangelical". My experience is that it has different meanings and connotations depending on who is using it and what they are describing. It could be that each person here has their own unique understanding of that term and is using it accurately from their vantage point, but are still talking about completely different concepts than anyone else in the thread.

AvarAllahNoor
01-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Great. So what of the increasing number of who Evangelical Christian groups in their belief that Israel is the chosen land of the chosen people? Or are they misled?

Grace Seeker
01-17-2008, 12:54 AM
My own view is that Israel was the chosen people. Emphasis on the past tense. I don't think that Israel has any special status with God today. Perhaps individual Jews who still live by the Old Covenant do, but not the nation as a political entity. I think that those Christians who promote this aspect of Zionism are misled.

As far as the term evangelical goes, you will find people who self-identify themselves as evangelicals in both camps: those that think that God still has a special place for Israel as a chosen nation and those who do not think that it makes any difference at all to God whether Israel exists as a poltical entity or not.

AvarAllahNoor
01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
My own view is that Israel was the chosen people. Emphasis on the past tense. I don't think that Israel has any special status with God today. Perhaps individual Jews who still live by the Old Covenant do, but not the nation as a political entity. I think that those Christians who promote this aspect of Zionism are misled.

As far as the term evangelical goes, you will find people who self-identify themselves as evangelicals in both camps: those that think that God still has a special place for Israel as a chosen nation and those who do not think that it makes any difference at all to God whether Israel exists as a poltical entity or not.
Thankyou. At least you're somebody who can answer a question truthfully, rater than beating around the bush. :happy:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh (Pure Ones Belong To God, Victory To God)

Isambard
01-17-2008, 01:03 AM
To be fair, Hamas had its own children propaganda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-c6lbFGC4

AvarAllahNoor
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
To be fair, Hamas had its own children propaganda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-c6lbFGC4
Was the subtitles done by an american? I have no idea what is being said. I don't trust the subtitles.

AvarAllahNoor
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isambard
Was the subtitles done by an american? I have no idea what is being said. I don't trust the subtitles.

snakelegs
01-17-2008, 01:35 AM
i just saw jesus camp a couple of weeks ago.
it's on line here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67401002835964

AvarAllahNoor
01-17-2008, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i just saw jesus camp a couple of weeks ago.
it's on line here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67401002835964
Scary to see fanatics in any religion eh!

snakelegs
01-17-2008, 01:42 AM
yes it is! truth is, they are all very much alike!

MartyrX
01-17-2008, 04:13 AM
This was a very scary movie. I watched recently on A&E a few weeks ago. I can't believe what they were putting those kids through. I also loved that girl at the end who thought the black men were muslims. I'm presuming since they were black.

Ghira
01-18-2008, 12:42 AM
I think it is scary, speaking in tongue...I saw some of it but not the whole thing. It looks more like a cult than a religious group that teaches morality and submission to Creator.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.