/* */

PDA

View Full Version : repentance

anonymous
09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
:sl: BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

i have done a very bad sin, and wnat to repents, howver im feeling not guilty. i really want to repent.
jazakallhu khair
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
09-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

It's strange that you don't feel guilty for your actions and yet you want to repent. If its a major sin, you should feel guilty first... otherwise why would you have an urge to repent?

Anyway.... Ask Allah for forgiveness in your salaaah during prostration. Thats when you're closest to your Lord.

Allah is the most merciful... Inshallah you'll find him forgiving and merciful. Just ask for forgiveness sincerely.

Salaamz,
Hamid

glo
09-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with DigitalStorm.
How can you repent a sin if you don't feel remorseful in the first place?

repentance –noun
1. deep sorrow, compunction, or contrition for a past sin, wrongdoing, or the like.
2. regret for any past action.

(dictionary.com)
So what exactly do you mean by repentance?

Peace

glo
09-19-2006, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
Asalamu Alaikum

It's strange that you don't feel guilty for your actions and yet you want to repent. If its a major sin, you should feel guilty first... otherwise why would you have an urge to repent?

Anyway.... Ask Allah for forgiveness in your salaaah during prostration. Thats when you're closest to your Lord.

Allah is the most merciful... Inshallah you'll find him forgiving and merciful. Just ask for forgiveness sincerely.

Salaamz,
Hamid
Does Allah forgive sins without the person feeling remorseful?
Can you ask for forgiveness sincerely without feeling remorseful?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kamilah
09-19-2006, 05:36 PM

you do feel guilty thats why you want to repent..

in order to repent with sincerity,

think about;

The magnitude and the consequences of the sin

The burden the sin has on your heart

How you are displeasing Allah by comitting this sin

the fire of hell

the negative affect it will have on your life now and in the future

- Qatada -
09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
:salamext:

I think you've experienced this because when a person repeatedly does a sin, they gradually get used to it and their heart get's covered in darkness. You don't realise the difference between right and wrong because you don't actually regret it in your heart.

That's the consequence of repeated sins.

What you need to do is hide your sin from others first of all, and keep it between yourself and Allaah. Then make the repentance anyway and ask Allaah to forgive you - especially in moments when you're proper sad for any reason, make lot's of astaghfar by reciting 'astaghfirullah' alot. And try to work on doing your islamic duties such as salaah (the 5 daily prayers etc.) because these act's of worship may make your heart come back to life insha'Allaah.

If you stay constant in your worship and remain patient, Allaah will open up your heart insha'Allaah, because the first stage of gaining emaan (faith) is by actually submitting yourself to Allaah Almighty. Then on top of that, keep praying alot to Allaah for Him to open up your heart and to allow the light to enter it.

Pray for anything you desire, as long as it's not haraam - and pray for jannah/paradise, read the description of paradise to make yourself gain a desire to enter it, and read about hellfire to see the reality of it - so you don't want to enter it. [Just put your hand over a flame (without touching it) and ask yourself, can i put my finger in this fire for a few seconds? Seriosly, try it and remember that when a person is in the hellfire - it's 70x hotter and a person's whole body is inside of it.]

Realise that every thing that islam has set haraam - there is always an alternative to it, so if a person want's to commit adultery - Allaah has permitted marriage. If a person want's to drink alcohol, Allaah has permitted lot's of other halaal drinks and also in jannah a person will be able to have any drink he/she desires (there'll be a wider range to pick from too!)

You made a really good first step by actually looking for advice instead of just turning away, because there are people who feel emotionless and don't feel guilty - so they keep up with that haraam lifestyle.

So masha'Allaah, may Allaah make the path to jannah/paradise easy for you and all the muslims. May Allaah protect our brothers and sisters, and may we all die in the state of islaam. Ya Allaah, please send eternal peace and blessings upon Your beloved Messenger, his family and all the muslims - ameen.

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. (Qur'an 2:186)

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

Allaah Almighty know's best. :) If you got any questions, or never understood what i said - please ask insha'Allaah. jazak Allaahu khayr.

:wasalamex

Ubaidah
09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
It's been said, but repentance without remorse just doesn't fit.

- Qatada -
09-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Alhamdulillah the brother/sister has a really good intention, and therefore we should encourage him/her to repent. Because there is the other alternative - which can be to just give up, but the brother/sister know's that he/she doesn't want to go down that path - so let's help them to do what is right insha'Allaah.

jazak Allaahu khayr :)

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Does Allah forgive sins without the person feeling remorseful?
Can you ask for forgiveness sincerely without feeling remorseful?
Simple answer... No.

In order to repent... you can't just say sorry. You must regret what you have done... be ashamed by it... must have sincere intentions to never to repeat it again.

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Question:
I am a young man who is an evildoer (faasiq) and a kaafir. I want to repent to Allaah. I used to do all kinds of haraam actions, and I do not pray. But now I want to repent. I hope the Shaykh can tell me how to repent.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

“Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

And turn in repentance and in obedience with true Faith (Islamic Monotheism) to your Lord and submit to Him (in Islam) before the torment comes upon you, (and) then you will not be helped.

And follow the best of that which is sent down to you from your Lord (i.e. this Qur’aan, do what it orders you to do and keep away from what it forbids), before the torment comes on you suddenly while you perceive not!’”

[al-Zumar 39:53-54 – interpretation of the meaning]

I have received your letter and I was impressed with your eagerness to repent and come back to Allaah, despite the fact that you have committed all kinds of haraam actions, as you say, above all neglecting prayer. It is very important that you should know that the gate of repentance is open to you. You should think deeply about what is mentioned in the aayahs quoted above. I will also tell you some practical steps which will show you clearly how to repent, in sha Allah.

The word tawbah (repentance) is a great word with deep meaning. It is not, as many people think, merely words to be uttered whilst persisting in sin. Think about what Allaah says:

“Seek the forgiveness of your Lord, and turn to Him in repentance”

[Hood 11:3 – interpretation of the meaning]

You will see that repentance is something more than seeking forgiveness.

Because this is a serious matter, there have to be conditions attached. The scholars mentioned the conditions of repentance, based on aayahs from the Qur’aan and ahaadeeth. There follows a list of some of them:

1 – Giving up the sin immediately.

2 – Regretting what has happened in the past.

3 – Resolving not to go back to it.

4 – Making amends to those whom you have wronged, or asking for their forgiveness.

You should not forget other important matters connected to sincere repentance, such as:

1 – You should give up the sin for the sake of Allaah and not for any other reason such as not being able to do it or repeat it, or being afraid of what people will say, for example.

The person who gives up a sin because it may affect his standing or reputation among people, or because it may cost him his job, cannot be described as having repented.

The person who gives up sins for the sake of his health and strength cannot be described as having repented, such as a person who gives up zinaa (adultery) and immoral actions for fear of contagious deadly diseases, or for fear that they may weaken his body and his memory.

The person who refrains from taking a bribe for fear that it may be being offered by undercover officers cannot be described as having repented.

The person who gives up drinking alcohol and taking drugs because he has become bankrupt cannot be described as having repented.

Similarly, the person who is unable to commit sin because of something that lies beyond his control cannot be described as having repented, such as a liar who becomes paralyzed and loses the power of speech, or an adulterer who loses the ability to engage in intercourse, or a thief who has an accident and loses his limbs. In such cases, a person has to feel regret and stop wishing to commit sin, or he has to feel sorry for what has happened in the past. To someone like this the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Regret is repentance.” (narrated by Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 6802)

2 – He should feel repelled by the sin and the harm it causes.

This means that sincere repentance cannot be accompanied by feelings of enjoyment and pleasure when remembering past sins, or wishing to go back to it in the future.

In his book al-Daa’ wa’l-Dawaa’ wa’l-Fawaa’id, Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) mentioned many of the harmful effects of sin, including the following:

Being deprived of (Islamic) knowledge – feelings of alienation in the heart – difficulties – physical weakness – being unable to do acts of worship – being deprived of blessings – less help from Allaah – anxiety – more bad deeds – getting used to sin – the sinner becomes insignificant in the sight of Allaah – he becomes insignificant in the sight of people – the curse of the animals will be upon him – he will bear marks of humiliation – his heart will be sealed and he will come under the curse (of Allaah) – his du’aa’ will not be answered – cause of mischief on land and sea – loss of gheerah (protective jealousy) – loss of modesty – the blessings of Allaah will disappear – punishment will befall him – terror in the heart of the sinner – falling into the clutches of the Shaytaan – a bad end – punishment in the Hereafter.

Knowing these harmful effects of sin will make you want to keep away from sin altogether, but some people may move from one sin to another for a number of reasons, including the following:

- They think that it is less serious

- The self is more inclined towards it and the desire for it is stronger

- It is easier to commit this sin than others, unlike sins which require some preparation; the means of doing it are readily available and widespread

- His friends and companions are committing this sin and it is difficult for him to differ from them

- A particular sin may give a person some status among his companions, and it is too difficult for him to lose this position, so he continues to commit that sin.

3 – He should hasten to repent. Hence delaying repentance is in and of itself a sin for which repentance is required.

4 – You should make up the duties towards Allaah that you have missed, if that is possible, such as paying the zakaah which you withheld in the past; and because this is something which is the right of the poor.

5 – You should keep away from places of sin if your being there may make you fall into sin again.

6 – You should keep away from those who helped you to commit sin.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Friends on that Day will be foes one to another except Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”

[al-Zukhruf 43:67]

Bad friends will curse one another on the Day of Resurrection, so you should keep away from them and break off your friendship with them, and warn others against them if you are not able to call them (to Allaah). Do nt let the Shaytaan deceive you or make the idea of going back to them in order to call them to Allaah look attractive to you, for you know that you are weak and will not be able to resist.

There are many cases in which people have gone back to sin because they resumed relationships with their former companions.

7 – Destroy haraam things that you may have in your possession, such as intoxicants, musical instruments, haraam pictures and movies, permissive stories, statues and so on. They should be broken, destroyed or burnt.

It is very essential that the one who wants to repent should rid himself of all items of jaahiliyyah. How often has it happened that keeping these haraam things caused people who had repented to go back on their repentance and be led astray after having been guided. We ask Allaah to make us steadfast.

8 – Choose righteous friends who will help you against your nafs (self) and who will be an alternative to bad company. Strive to attend circles of dhikr and gatherings of knowledge. Fill your time with beneficial things so that the Shaytaan will not find any opportunity to remind you of the past.

9 – Focus on your body which has been fed on haraam substances and direct its energies towards obeying Allaah. Seek out halaal substances with which to nourish your body so that your flesh will be renewed with halaal substances.

10 – Do a lot of good deeds, for good deeds cancel out bad deeds.

If you are sincere in your repentance to Allaah, then receive the good news that all your previous evil deeds will be changed into good deeds. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who invoke not any other ilaah (god) along with Allaah, nor kill such person as Allaah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse and whoever does this shall receive the punishment.

The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace;

Except those who repent and believe (in Islamic Monotheism), and do righteous deeds; for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Furqaan 25:68]

I ask Allaah to benefit you by these words, and to guide your heart. Now get up and utter the Shahaadatyan, purify yourself (with ghusl) and pray as Allaah has commanded you. Observe the Islamic duties regularly and give up haraam things. I will be happy to help you in any way.

I ask Allaah to give us and you strength to do that which He loves and is pleased with. May He accept the repentance of us all, for He is the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

glo
09-20-2006, 05:55 AM
So the question remains:

If you should feel sorry about something, but you don't ... what do you do about it?

anonymous
09-20-2006, 06:39 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.
jazakallahu khair. and thanks glo.

im realy trying to feel bad. i think allah has granted me the regret. however, now im just curous if its accepted. i don't know if shaytaan telling me that im not regretful, beacuse i've been htinking it over in my head, and it also dosn't make sense to me. i mean i really want to be good. i feel bad, because i dont feel bad. sounds weird, i know and i beleive in la ilah ilala muhammad (salalahu aleyh wa salam) rasoololah.

anoher qn about despair. if one despairs, are they only kaafir if they die that way . i mean if one despairs or they are on their way
to, does that make them go out of the pale of islam, or is it only if they die in that state, as opposed to realising that Allah forgives all sins and change their bad ways.

jazakallahu khair

------
09-20-2006, 07:57 AM
What do u despair about?

glo
09-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Being in despair is considered a sin??? :?
(How to make somebody in need feel even worse about him/herself ...! :uuh: )

I suppose it's sign of unbelief, huh? :(

------
09-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Yeh tru glo its like saying ur not pleased with God n that when He's always with you. U get me?

anonymous
09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
What do u despair about?
:sl: brothers and sisters

what do i despair about? hmm.... good question? i guess im worried about the sins taht i have done, and need to repent, but i just can't seem to fully submit. i feel sad about what awaits me.

im worred cos the other day i read something and i said a statement which may be considered as kufr, and this is hte thing i am not feeling bad about. but the thing is, i was confused about what I read, and in one wy it feels like i have committed kufr, on the other hand it feels that the only reason i said it, was out of confusion, not rebelion. i made istikhara prayer about whther or not i should perform the ghusl, and i was inclined to yes. however, i didn't consult anyone about the problem, but i was still inclined to yes. do you know if this is possible: to have an inclination towards something, before consulting anyone about what to do.

anyways, jazakallahu khair

anonymous
09-20-2006, 08:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I think you've experienced this because when a person repeatedly does a sin, they gradually get used to it and their heart get's covered in darkness. You don't realise the difference between right and wrong because you don't actually regret it in your heart.

That's the consequence of repeated sins.

What you need to do is hide your sin from others first of all, and keep it between yourself and Allaah. Then make the repentance anyway and ask Allaah to forgive you - especially in moments when you're proper sad for any reason, make lot's of astaghfar by reciting 'astaghfirullah' alot. And try to work on doing your islamic duties such as salaah (the 5 daily prayers etc.) because these act's of worship may make your heart come back to life insha'Allaah.

If you stay constant in your worship and remain patient, Allaah will open up your heart insha'Allaah, because the first stage of gaining emaan (faith) is by actually submitting yourself to Allaah Almighty. Then on top of that, keep praying alot to Allaah for Him to open up your heart and to allow the light to enter it.

Pray for anything you desire, as long as it's not haraam - and pray for jannah/paradise, read the description of paradise to make yourself gain a desire to enter it, and read about hellfire to see the reality of it - so you don't want to enter it. [Just put your hand over a flame (without touching it) and ask yourself, can i put my finger in this fire for a few seconds? Seriosly, try it and remember that when a person is in the hellfire - it's 70x hotter and a person's whole body is inside of it.]

Realise that every thing that islam has set haraam - there is always an alternative to it, so if a person want's to commit adultery - Allaah has permitted marriage. If a person want's to drink alcohol, Allaah has permitted lot's of other halaal drinks and also in jannah a person will be able to have any drink he/she desires (there'll be a wider range to pick from too!)

You made a really good first step by actually looking for advice instead of just turning away, because there are people who feel emotionless and don't feel guilty - so they keep up with that haraam lifestyle.

So masha'Allaah, may Allaah make the path to jannah/paradise easy for you and all the muslims. May Allaah protect our brothers and sisters, and may we all die in the state of islaam. Ya Allaah, please send eternal peace and blessings upon Your beloved Messenger, his family and all the muslims - ameen.
And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. (Qur'an 2:186)

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).
Allaah Almighty know's best. :) If you got any questions, or never understood what i said - please ask inshah. jazak Allaahu khayr.

brother, jazakallahu khair for your response. but i don't repeatidly commit this sin.

------
09-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Yeh you have an inclination when you do Istikarah, people say (and you should do this) that you should do whatever signs you see after performing Istikarah. May Allah swt help you and make it easy for you Insha'Allah.

:w:

anonymous
09-20-2006, 08:52 AM
jazakallahu khair.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-20-2006, 09:04 AM

there was a sahih hadith of rasullulah saws in which he stated:

SAHIH BUKHARI

Volume 4, Book 56, Number 676:
Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "Amongst the men of Bani Israel there was a man who had murdered ninety-nine persons. Then he set out asking (whether his repentance could be accepted or not). He came upon a monk and asked him if his repentance could be accepted. The monk replied in the negative and so the man killed him. He kept on asking till a man advised to go to such and such village. (So he left for it) but death overtook him on the way. While dying, he turned his chest towards that village (where he had hoped his repentance would be accepted), and so the angels of mercy and the angels of punishment quarrelled amongst themselves regarding him. Allah ordered the village (towards which he was going) to come closer to him, and ordered the village (whence he had come), to go far away, and then He ordered the angels to measure the distances between his body and the two villages. So he was found to be one span closer to the village (he was going to). So he was forgiven."

^ that is how great ALlahs forgiveness is, a man ADDICTED TO KILLING, didnt even fully repent and was still forgiven.
I hope that answers your question :)

------
09-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I love that hadith!!!!! Masha'Allah!!!!!!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
09-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Notice that in the hadith ALLAH CHANGED THE DIMENSIONS OF THE DUNYA JUST TO FORGIVE THIS MAN!!!

SubhanAllah, changin the dimensions of the dunya!!! i mean SUBHANALLAH !!!!!

madeenahsh
09-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Asallam alykum warahmatullaahi wabarakatuh

Allaah subhana wa ta ala says:

So ask the people of the message if you do not know.16:43\

info@understand-islam.net
Mail your question to this adress inshAllaah.

Wasallam alykum.

glo
09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous

what do i despair about? hmm.... good question? i guess im worried about the sins taht i have done, and need to repent, but i just can't seem to fully submit. i feel sad about what awaits me.

im worred cos the other day i read something and i said a statement which may be considered as kufr, and this is hte thing i am not feeling bad about. but the thing is, i was confused about what I read, and in one wy it feels like i have committed kufr, on the other hand it feels that the only reason i said it, was out of confusion, not rebelion. i made istikhara prayer about whther or not i should perform the ghusl, and i was inclined to yes. however, i didn't consult anyone about the problem, but i was still inclined to yes. do you know if this is possible: to have an inclination towards something, before consulting anyone about what to do.

anyways, jazakallahu khair
Oh, anonymous!

My heart goes out to you!
It seems to me that whatever sin it is you have committed, you don't feel remorse for it, but feel you should be remorseful for fear of Allah's punishment! :uuh:

It is not just your thread here, but other threads too - which seem to be full of people's guilt, their self-condemnation and their fear of Allah's terrible punishment for their wrongdoings and weaknesses!
It makes me want to cry. :cry:

I have to say this, but I think you all have God so wrong!! :heated:
What about God's love, mercy and compassion??!
Do you think God does not know our weaknesses and our daily struggles to handle them??!

And [the Lord] passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Exodus 34:6)
Be at peace, anonymous.
Believe that God loves you! :)

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Hi glo.

Read this to get a better understanding:

Love Fear and Hope - The Three Essential Ingredients for Eeman (faith)
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...Fear+love+hope

Fear is an important factor because if a person just has love and hope - they'll feel they can do whatever they desire and still end up in paradise. With that missing factor of fear, then you just need to look around the world today.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

IceQueen~
09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
anonymous-maybe the reason why ur not feeling guilty is also because you don't feel like stopping what ur doing...?
sometimes the shaytan makes it seem so attractive that we don't want to stop, but we also know that we must repent because its wrong..

pray to Allah to help you make a sincere repentance, and keep trying-never give up because as long as you're trying you are doing jihad and are on the road of success and shaytan has not succeeded over you----
so don't give up!!

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 12:30 PM

This is from another post, so some things might not relate to you. But its referring to the waswasa (satanic whispers) so it might be of some help insha'Allaah.

jazak Allaah khayr for explaining your situation, because the cure to ignorance is asking, as our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him and his beloved family) said.

I just want you to know that what you are experiencing now is quite common to happen to the believer (the mu'min) and it is a sign of faith. In islam, its called waswasa (the whisperings of satan) and it is one of the ways shaytan will try to put someone off the right path.

Its also important to remember that one of the main reasons you feel weak is because you believe in Allaah, but you don't have any evidence in your mind to prove those satanic thoughts wrong. And the only cure to that is by reading more and more from the Qur'an and Sunnah to clear the misconceptions that satan puts in your mind. This way, the more evidence you have - the more stronger a believer you will become insha'Allaah, and the more evidence you will have to drive away them satanic thoughts insha'Allaah.

We advise you not to pay any attention to these whispers, and to ignore them, and to do the opposite of what they are calling you to do. For these whispers (waswaas) come from the Shaytaan to cause grief to those who believe. The best way to deal with them is to remember Allaah a great deal (dhikr), to seek refuge with Allaah from the accursed Shaytaan [by saying: a`udhu billahi mina ash-shaytani ar-rajim; I seek refuge and protection in Allah from Satan, the accursed).], to keep away from sins and wrong actions which are the means by which Iblees gains control over the sons of Adam. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, he [the Shaytaan] has no power over those who believe and put their trust only in their Lord (Allaah)”

[al-Nahl 16:99]

It is worth quoting here what Ibn Hajar al-Haythami (may Allaah have mercy on him) said about dealing with waswasah in his book al-Fataawa al-Fiqhiyyah al-Kubra, 1/149. This is what he said:

“He was asked about the problem of waswasah (insinuating whispers from the Shaytaan), and whether there is a remedy for it.

He replied by saying that there is an effective remedy for it, which is to ignore them completely, no matter how frequently they may come to mind. When these whispers are ignored, they do not become established, rather they go away after a short time, as many people have experienced. But for those who pay attention to them and act upon them, they increase until they make him like one who is insane or even worse, as we see among many of those who have suffered from them and paid attention to them and to the devil whose task it is to insinuate these whispers, whom the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against when he said, “Beware the whispers with regard to water (i.e., wudoo’) which is caused by a devil called al-Walhaan” – because that causes a person to go to extremes with regard to doing wudoo’, as was explained in Sharh Mishkaat al-Anwaar.

In al-Saheehayn there is a report which supports what has been mentioned above, which is that whoever suffers from waswaas should seek refuge with Allaah and turn away from the waswaas. So think about this effective remedy which was taught by the one who does not speak of his own whims and desires to his ummah, and understand that whoever is deprived of this is deprived of all goodness, because waswasah comes from the Shaytaan, according to scholarly consensus, and the accursed one (the Shaytaan) has no other desire than to make the believers go astray, make them confused, make their life a misery, cause them distress to the extent that they leave Islam without realizing it.

“Surely, Shaytaan (Satan) is an enemy to you, so take (treat) him as an enemy”

[Faatir 35:6 – interpretation of the meaning]

According to another hadeeth, the one who suffers from waswasah should say, “Aamantu Billaahi wa bi rusulihi (I believe in Allaah and in His Messengers).” Undoubtedly, whoever thinks of the paths of the Messengers of Allaah, especially our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) will find that his path and his law is easy and clear, with no hardship in it.

“… and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship”

[al-Hajj 22:78 – interpretation of the meaning]

Whoever ponders this and believes in it sincerely, the problem of waswasah and listening to the Shaytaan will go away. In the book of Ibn al-Sunni it is narrated via ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “Whoever suffers from this waswaas, let him say ‘Aamantu Billaahi wa bi rusulihi (I believe in Allaah and in His Messengers)’, three times, and it will go away from him.”

Al-‘Izz ibn ‘Abd al-Salaam and others mentioned something similar to the above. They said: the treatment for waswasah is to believe that this is an idea from the Shaytaan and that Iblees is the one who is bringing these thoughts to his mind, and he should strive to fight him. Then he will have the reward of the mujaahid, because he is fighting the enemy of Allaah. If he does that, then the Shaytaan will flee from him. This is what mankind has been tested with from the beginning of time, and Allaah has given him (Iblees) some power over man as a test for him, so that Allaah may show the truth to be true and falsehood to be false, even though the disbelievers may hate that.

In Muslim, hadeeth no. 2203, it is narrated that ‘Uthmaan ibn Abi’l-‘Aas said: “The Shaytaan was interfering with my prayer and recitation of Qur’aan. He [the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ] said: ‘That is a devil called Khanzab, so seek refuge with Allaah from him and spit drily to your left three times.’ I did that, and Allaah took him away from me.”

This hadeeth proves the point we are making, which is that waswasah can only overpower the one who is ignorant and confused and does not know what’s what. But the one who has knowledge and understanding will the Sunnah and keep away from bid’ah. The worst of the innovators are those who follow waswaas, hence Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated that his shaykh al-Rabee’ – who was the imam of the people of his time – was the fastest of the people in relieving himself and doing wudoo’.

Ibn Hurmuz used to be slow in relieving himself and in doing wudoo’, and he used to say “I have a problem, do not follow my example.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that one of the scholars thought it was mustahabb for the one who was affected by waswasah with regard to his wudoo or prayer to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, for when the Shaytaan hears dhikr (remembrance of Allaah) he slinks away, and Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah is the best of dhikr, and the most effective remedy for warding off waswasah is to remember Allaah a great deal.

We ask Allaah to take away the waswasah that you are suffering and to increase us and you in faith, righteousness and piety. Ameen.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&QR=62839

I strongly encourage you to read the following threads too:

Soul Selling
http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...l-selling.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...8-did-you.html

Satanic Whispers: Meaning & Remedy
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544296

You may feel afraid that you're sinful for this act, even though its not your fault. But alhamdulillah (praise be to Allaah Almighty) - our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

“Allaah has forgiven for my ummah that which is whispered to them and which crosses their minds, so long as they do not act upon it or speak of it.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6664; Muslim, 127)

Allaah Almighty says in the Qur'an:

We send down (stage by stage) in the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe: to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss. (17:82)

So listening and reciting to the Qur'an (especially surah falaq (113) and surah nas (114)) may help insha'Allaah:

http://quran.jalisi.com (beautiful Qur'an recitations - Sa'ad al ghamdi)

-----

http://www.sabbir.com/DownloadHalal.html

http://www.islamicboard.com/biograph...+the+believers

and try downloading some lectures to learn more about islam, because the cure to ignorance is knowledge insha'Allaah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-multimedia/

Allaahu ta'aala a'lam. (Allaah Almighty knows best.)

If you got any questions, please do ask insha'Allaah. jazak Allaah khayr.

I think you should check this link out also insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...need-help.html

When a person has faith, then shaytan will keep whispering to the person to try to distract them from the siraat-ul mustaqeem (the straight path) . So keep remembering Allaah, and keep praising Allaah (i.e. subhan Allaah, alhamdulillah, Allaahu akbar, La illaah illallaah etc.)

Whenever you pray 5 daily prayers, then concentrate on what you say, because within surah fatiha - you recite 'ikhdinas-siraat-al mustaqeem' (guide us to the straight path.) - and if you're sincere in this, Allaah Almighty will keep you on the straight path insha'Allaah, because you pray this surah about 17times a day [minimum] (when you pray your 5 daily salaah/prayers.)

If you remember Allaah Almighty at times of ease, Allaah will remember you at times of hardship insha'Allaah.

We will keep you in our dua's insha'Allaah. :)

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Asalamu Alaikum Ananymous,

Make duah to Allah to make you hate the things which He hates and make you love the things which He loves. Inshallah that will cause you to hate all sins and you will be able to repent properly and turn away from it. Inshallah.

Sis Glo, Allahs mercy exceeds His Wrath... But that doesn't mean that all is good even if you commit sins. If you've committed a major sin, you should feel fear of Allah... so as to have a conscience to prevent that sin from transpiring again.

Look at the case of Adam and Eve vs. Satan. Satan didn't repent and didn't feel sorry for what he had done... where as Adam and Eve were so regretful and repented to Allah and Allah forgave them.

Fear of Allah prevents you from openly sinning and thinking its ok... and yet the Love of Allah keeps your heart soft.

May Allah give you proper understanding and Knowledge of Islam. Ameen.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Being in despair is considered a sin??? :?
(How to make somebody in need feel even worse about him/herself ...! :uuh: )

I suppose it's sign of unbelief, huh? :(

Never despair

Someone might say, 'I want to repent but my sins are too many.' But Allah says in the Qur'an:« "O My slaves who have transgressed agaisnt themselves! Despair not for the Mercy of Allah, verily Allah forgives all sins. Truly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." »[Qur'an, Chapter 39: Verse 53]

Therefore, we should never lose hope or stop asking for Allah's forgiveness. Its importance is shown to us in a hadeeth in which the Prophet Peace be upon him said:

"O people! Turn to Allaah in repentance and seek His forgiveness, for surely I make repentance a hundred times every day." ” [Sahih Muslim]

Repentance is such a great act of worship that doing it can totally erase our sins altogether, as the Prophet Peace be upon him said:

"One who repents from sin is like one without sin."” [ibn Majah]

http://www.beconvinced.com/en/articl...0&%20Sincerity

Ninth_Scribe
09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl: BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

i have done a very bad sin, and wnat to repents, howver im feeling not guilty. i really want to repent.
jazakallhu khair
You have to feel guilt in order to repent. I doubt Allah would accept an insincere apology. Once you've finished with the matter in heaven, you have to perform material deeds here on Earth that will counter the bad one. Since I don't know what that is, I can't advise you any further than that.

Ninth Scribe

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 06:43 PM

The main thing is that the brother or sister needs to see the severety of the crime, and then ask themselves - can they really bare the punishment of it?

anonymous
09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
jazakallahu khair everybody.
an i ask another thing though. is it normal to feel....uncomfortable after repenance. like for eg there's a continually bugging feeling inside. and also wiswaas has increased. does this mean anything?

nishom
09-21-2006, 09:46 AM
SALAAM,

Repenting is a really good sign for someone, as it is Allah Almighty who has given that person the faith in order to repent.

It is indeed natural that if you intent to stop sinning, shaytaan will whisper to you to do it again, and your nafs will desire it and try to pull to towards it.

We all need to face up to our sins rather than trying to justify them like we do,by saying things like 'Ah! These things happen, its done now!'

Once we realise how bad our sins are, which is likely to take time, then by the will of Allah, inshallah, we wil be able to make things happen.

Be patient and supplicate to your Lord for He listens to our prayers.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.