/* */

PDA

View Full Version : US Muslims say anti-Islam bias on rise

sonz
09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
An American Muslim rights group says the number of civil rights complaints made by Muslims in the US has increased by 30 per cent.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations' (CAIR) said in the report published on Monday that there were 1,972 cases of anti-Muslim violence, discrimination and harassment in 2005, the highest number of civil rights cases ever recorded in the Washington-based group's annual report.

The Struggle for Equality study said that was a 29.6 per cent increase from 2004's 1,522 cases.

Nine states accounted for almost 79 per cent of all civil rights complaints made to the civil rights group.

California and Illinois recorded the highest number of all complaints with 19 and 13 per cent respectively, and New Jersey had the lowest with 4 per cent.

Arsalan Iftikhar, CAIR’s legal director, blamed the media.

"We believe the biggest factor contributing to anti-Muslim feeling and the resulting acts of bias is the growth in Islamophobic rhetoric that has flooded the internet and talk radio in the post-9/11 era," he said.

"By all accounts, racial profiling, harassment, and discrimination of Muslim and Arab Americans have increased since 9/11."

Sheila Jackson Lee, a Texas congresswomen, said in response to the study: "We cannot allow xenophobia, prejudice, and bigotry to prevail, and eviscerate the constitution we are bound to protect."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...54FBC43BA5.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Inshallah
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I always tell my cousins to move from the US, if life for them is like this right now imagine 40 years from now, being a muslim would be considered a crime.

north_malaysian
09-19-2006, 09:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah
I always tell my cousins to move from the US, if life for them is like this right now imagine 40 years from now, being a muslim would be considered a crime.
George W. Bush and his 'stupid' policy wont lasts long (like 40 years). I think americans are sick of his lies...

Keltoi
09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Let's be honest for a second. Can there be any doubt what caused the increase in anti-Islamic sentiment in the U.S.? The 9-11 attacks caused this, not Bush policy or talk radio. It is natural and should have been expected. That doesn't justify any action against American Muslims, many of which are just as patriotic as anyone else. It is unfortunate that the actions of a few radical extremists can have such an impact on their brothers and sisters of the same faith, but it cannot be avoided. The answer is education and exposure to the Islamic community within the U.S. However, the belief that in 40 years Islam will be illegal in the U.S. is simply absurd.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
09-19-2006, 04:54 PM
:sl:
The programs that flooded the media on 11/09/06 can't have help things...
:w:

wilberhum
09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The programs that flooded the media on 11/09/06 can't have help things...
Additional attacks like 7/7 can't have help things.......... :hiding:
Instead of blaiming the news etc, why not blaim those that commit the attacks.

Fishman
09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Additional attacks like 7/7 can't have help things.......... :hiding:
Instead of blaiming the news etc, why not blaim those that commit the attacks.
Since the 06 plane plot there have not been any major attacks. I didn't mean from 9/11 onwards, I just meant recently.

guyabano
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, let me see:

9/11 Bombings: Who was it? muslim extremists

Bombings, Hijackings, terror-attacks, horror-videos, kidnappings all over the world: again muslim extremists involved

Airport in London, Bombs found on 11 Airplanes: Again muslim extremists

Pope made some comments: Menaces of bombing churches and killing christian priests: muslim extremists involved

.. and the list goes on !

Excuse me, but how would you like that the upcoming generation of western Children get a good Image of Islam when they always hear that kind of news ?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 07:15 PM
It doesnt give anyone the right to harass the Muslims curently living in the US, whether 9/11 was faked or it happened. COMMON SENSE!! DUH!!

Skillganon
09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
Well, let me see:

Bombings, Hijackings, terror-attacks, horror-videos, kidnappings all over the world: again muslim extremists involved

Pope made some comments: Menaces of bombing churches and killing christian priests: muslim extremists involved

Excuse me, but how would you like that the upcoming generation of western Children get a good Image of Islam when they always hear that kind of news ?

Lets see.

Countless bombing in Iraq & pure agreesion, non-muslim(christian, atheist, e.t.c) extremist. :offended:

Takeover of palestine, with sheer force and genocide, non-muslim extremist.
:offended:

I can add to the list. :D

Excuse me, but how would you like that the upcoming generation of Middle-eastern Children get a good Image of West when they always hear, and experience that kind of news ?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, let me see:

Well for starters. learn about Islam instead of what non Muslims have to say bout it. I think a Muslim would know his religion better than a non Muslim! DUH!

wilberhum
09-19-2006, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Well for starters. learn about Islam instead of what non Muslims have to say bout it. I think a Muslim would know his religion better than a non Muslim! DUH!
I learned a long time ago, there are reasons and there are excuses, and frequently they are not the same. :hiding:
I think the average non-Muslim doesn't give two hoots about what "Islam says". They only care about what "Muslims do".
Learning about Islam will have little if any impact on what non-Muslims think.

Keltoi
09-19-2006, 07:37 PM
There is the problem. It doesn't matter how much you know about a religion theologically when people are cutting heads off on video tape like a sick snuff film and justifying it with their religious beliefs. Hopefully we all agree that the people who commit such acts are evil human beings who are not following the true message of any peaceful religion. However, the effects of these actions cannot be overstated. Most Americans view these people as a radical element within Islam, not Islam as a whole, but this element has brought the world's attention upon Islam in a negative way. There is no way to candy-coat this.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I assure you no one here agrees with any of what is going on because it is NOT Islam. If that was Islam we wouldnt be sitting here with u discussing it and be proud of our religion. We would be out doing the same. It's pretty obvious =\

Keltoi
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I assure you no one here agrees with any of what is going on because it is NOT Islam. If that was Islam we wouldnt be sitting here with u discussing it and be proud of our religion. We would be out doing the same. It's pretty obvious =\

I don't believe anybody here agrees with what is being done in the name of their religion either. The point is that these people have affected the way non-Muslims view Islam, rightly or wrongly.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeap..
It's difficult especially when some people see what its truly about and brush it off.

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 04:38 AM
Well, let me see:

the western world also dont have good image among Muslim children because they invade Iraq.....

guyabano
09-20-2006, 05:08 AM
Ok, I really want to clafiry this out, before I get again Insults in PM's !

I don't want to be misunderstood. I know what Islam is and I know who did the bombings around as I'm already 40 old.
I just told the story out of the point of view of kids and teenagers. I'm a teacher in a highschool, and I can see it everyday. The Media influent them, same as they do it for muslim Kids about West, when they say, it's Evil !
And, believe it or not, it is our Next Generation!
As somebody mentionned already here, when our Kids see beheadings on TV of West Journalists, curiously, the extremists always yell "Allah". Well guess, what our kids will assimilate with that ??

Conclusion: Your kids (Muslims) get already brainwashed at early age, same as ours (western) by the media.

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Conclusion: Your kids (Muslims) get already brainwashed at early age, same as ours (western) by the media.
Who's making the money? - MEDIA!!!

searcheroftruth
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
anti-islam bias is on the rise all over the western world

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searcheroftruth
anti-islam bias is on the rise all over the western world
Anit-West bias is on the rise all over the Eastern world. :hiding: :hiding:

Muezzin
09-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Anti-Auntie bias is on the rise all over the disgruntled Uncle world.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
lolzz

Woodrow
09-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Oddly, here in Texas I see much cooperation taking place between Muslims and non-Muslims. Especialy in the Austin area. There is no bias against Muslims here in Austin at this time. I believe relationships in Houston are also going very well too. I know new Mosques are being built and more people from Mid-Eastern Countries are moving into Texas. The Current Pakistan Population here is possibly the largest in the US Plus a lot of immigrants from Saudi, Iran, Iraq, Lebannon, Algeria and Syria. Quite a few Palestinians in the Tyler Texas area

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2006, 05:33 PM
My cousin moved there with her husband and son about a week ago. She said its pleasant lol.

Woodrow
09-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Islam is growing quite well in Texas and we are well accepted.

The Following is from "The Dallas Morning News" May, 2006

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.3a08dcf.html

"I found it very interesting to hear the Arabic of the shahadah [the Muslim declaration of faith] with this incredible Texas accent," Dr. Cordell said.

But he questioned the documentary's assertion of "a new wave of conservative white Americans who have abandoned their strict Christian upbringing for Islam."

"The bigger question is, 'How common is this?' " Dr. Cordell said.

The documentary offers no statistics on how many white Texans have converted to Islam. It does assert that there are 400,000 Muslims in Texas, and that Islam is the United States' fastest-growing religion.

But getting a handle on the Muslim population in Texas or the rest of the United States has daunted demographers, partly because the U.S. Census Bureau doesn't track religious affiliation.

Estimates of the country's Muslim population range from fewer than 2 million to more than 8 million.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations estimates that white Americans constitute about 1.5 percent of attendees at mosques in the United States. Last year, nine people classified as "Caucasian Americans" converted to Islam at the Dallas Central Mosque, a spokeswoman said

"I meet a lot of new Muslims, either Caucasians or African-Americans," said David Hultsch of Caddo Mills in East Texas, another star of the film and a former Methodist who converted to Islam while in the Air Force. "Probably one of the largest-growing groups is actually Hispanic-Americans."

Ms. Smith said her documentary was not intended to suggest that Texas was greatly outpacing other states in Muslim growth.

"I think it's probably that there is a gradual rise in the Muslim population, and that any rise in Texas reflects that," she said.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-20-2006, 06:20 PM
yes ive heard about that.

InToTheRain
09-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Anti-Islamic bias is on the rise because people are waiting to be spoon fed information about Islam from the media and majority of the media misrepresent it.

In areas where people are aware of the ideals and teachings of Islam I guess such bias will dissolve.

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Now it is the media again. Someone or something else is always at falt. It must be nice to never take responsibility for anything.

InToTheRain
09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Now it is the media again. Someone or something else is always at falt. It must be nice to never take responsibility for anything.
Responsibilty for what?

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
Responsibilty for what?
Anti-Islamic bias is on the rise because people are waiting to be spoon fed information about Islam from the media and majority of the media misrepresent it.
Don't you supose chopping off heads, blowing up trains and flying planes into buildings contributes to anti-Islamic bias? It ain't all the media's fault. :rant:

Hayaat
09-20-2006, 07:26 PM
take responsiblity..... your kidding right why should we have to take responsibility for something we didnt do
do you expect Muslims around the world to start apologizing and sucking up to random people

what they're doing is unislamic and no sane Muslim supports what is happening and im tired of hearing " take responsibilty"
WE DIDNT DO ANYTHING!!

Fishman
09-20-2006, 07:30 PM
I didn't fly a plane into a building, or bomb anybody. Why should I appologise?

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I didn't fly a plane into a building, or bomb anybody. Why should I appologise?
Are you blaiming someone else?

Fishman
09-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Are you blaiming someone else?
Yes, the radicals.

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, the radicals.
Spot on. You blaim the ones responsible and don't balame some one else. I see so many times, people just "pass the buck".

sonz
09-20-2006, 07:49 PM
for those who say that the media isnt the major contributor see

Media has anti-Muslim bias, claims report
http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...642320,00.html

Media 'contributing to rise of Islamophobia'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...10/nterr10.xml

if the media really showed the true message of islam, islamophobia wouldnt have increased

sonz
09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Spot on. You blaim the ones responsible and don't balame some one else. I see so many times, people just "pass the buck".
where have u been hiding. i can show u 100000000 news articles of muslim denoucing terrorism but the majority of islamophobes ignore it.

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 08:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
where have u been hiding. i can show u 100000000 news articles of muslim denoucing terrorism but the majority of islamophobes ignore it.
A billion might be an over extimate. Where did say Muslims don't denoune terrorism? I have seen many articles. Is you statement based on the fact that I blame terrorists and not the media for islamophobia?

InToTheRain
09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Don't you supose chopping off heads, blowing up trains and flying planes into buildings contributes to anti-Islamic bias? :
In what way do these action have anything to do with the teachings of Islam?

It ain't all the media's fault. :rant:
I have spoken to many non-muslims who say before finding out about islam their bias was due to the Media labelling terrorists as muslims and not as the actions of a mad man.

Now I ask you how can the actions of a few individuals make such a strong bias againsts Islam, followers of which number over 2 billions? Why are the actions of a few individuals who commit atrocities in the name of Islam, even though islam condemns such atrocities, affecting over 2 billion muslims?

fact remains more muslims have died due to oppression and offenses against them in last 10 years (and most probably longer) then any number in the world, but only the muslims are being labelled as extremists and terrorists.

So I disagree the the bias against islam is due to the majority of the media that misrepresent Islam.

- Qatada -
09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
:salamext:

To the muslim brothers and sisters out there, i seriosly think you should cut down on this section and we'd rather defend our religion through knowledge instead of arguing with people online about something that people might just want to argue about.

just some advice insha'Allaah, and remember - all our disputes will be sorted out on the day of judgement insha'Allaah.

InToTheRain
09-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Thats right! Blame the people that are responsible. Not the muslims and Islam OK?

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
In what way do these action have anything to do with the teachings of Islam?
Where did I even mention the word Islam?
I have spoken to many non-muslims who say before finding out about islam their bias was due to the Media labelling terrorists as muslims and not as the actions of a mad man.
Are you saying that the mad men did not claim to be Muslims?
Now I ask you how can the actions of a few individuals make such a strong bias againsts Islam, followers of which number over 2 billions? Why are the actions of a few individuals who commit atrocities in the name of Islam, even though islam condemns such atrocities, affecting over 2 billion muslims?
Why do you think that I think the actions of a few represent the masses?

fact remains more muslims have died due to oppression and offenses against them in last 10 years (and most probably longer) then any number in the world, but only the muslims are being labelled as extremists and terrorists.
So are we talking about evil actions or just the most evil? Should we ignore all evil that is not the worst evil?

So I disagree the the bias against islam is due to the majority of the media that misrepresent Islam.
Each is entitled to there own openion.
I still think terrorist who claim that they are doing there deeds for god is the cause of Islamaphobia.

Keltoi
09-20-2006, 09:25 PM
There are many factors involved in so-called "Islamophobia". I believe the terrorism is the major factor in the equation. Does the media contribute to this by covering terrorist activities? Yes, but you can't blame the media for what terrorists do. I wish we could separate terrorism from Islam, but unfortunately the terrorists do everything in their power to make sure this cannot happen. Nothing is as simple as "Every Muslim is a terrorist" or "The media and Bush hate Muslims". Those are polar extremes.

limitless
09-21-2006, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Let's be honest for a second. Can there be any doubt what caused the increase in anti-Islamic sentiment in the U.S.? The 9-11 attacks caused this, not Bush policy or talk radio. It is natural and should have been expected. That doesn't justify any action against American Muslims, many of which are just as patriotic as anyone else. It is unfortunate that the actions of a few radical extremists can have such an impact on their brothers and sisters of the same faith, but it cannot be avoided. The answer is education and exposure to the Islamic community within the U.S. However, the belief that in 40 years Islam will be illegal in the U.S. is simply absurd.

No offense to you, but have you watched Prison break, perhaps you should, if so, watch it again. Because it clearly shows that America is just as currpted as any other country, an individual, religion, and race can be blammed for a crime that was never in the first place committed by them. I know for sure that there were no muslims out there that would do such a thing, but how about your people, I think they will do anything, even their own family members.

Think about it.

guyabano
09-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Yes, the radicals.

hmmm, curiously, most muslims countries do nothing against radicals. Sometimes, I even get more the feeling, they also get feed by them !

north_malaysian
09-21-2006, 05:18 AM
hmmm, curiously, most muslims countries do nothing against radicals. Sometimes, I even get more the feeling, they also get feed by them !
Not in my country... many radicals are detained under ISA (Internal Security Act) - imprisonment without trial...

Keltoi
09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

No offense to you, but have you watched Prison break, perhaps you should, if so, watch it again. Because it clearly shows that America is just as currpted as any other country, an individual, religion, and race can be blammed for a crime that was never in the first place committed by them. I know for sure that there were no muslims out there that would do such a thing, but how about your people, I think they will do anything, even their own family members.

Think about it.

I'm slightly confused on what I should be "thinking" about. Are you suggesting that Muslims didn't commit 9-11 or cut off heads on videotape? If so, perhaps you should "think" about the land of denial you live in.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.