/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shaving your beard to get a job.

*Ladan*
09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
:sl: Removing the Obstacle

A qualified medical worker from India emigrated to Canada to live a better life. This Muslim brother had a beard. He applied to many different places for a job and was called for interviews. Though he was highly qualified for the jobs, the interviewers hesitated to hire him because of his beard. One by one, he was rejected from all the companies. One interviewer actually mentioned to him indirectly that his beard was an obstacle to getting the job. Trully, it was a big test for him from Allah. Hopeless and exhausted, the brother decided to remove the obstacle, which was to shave off his beard. Then he returned to that company and requested for another interview. When the interviewer saw him without a beard this time, he refused to give him the job again. The brother became confused and asked to know the reason. The interviewer said "If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

This true incident was narrated to us by a friend who personally knows this brother, however, his identity will remain private. In reality, obeying the commandments of Allah does not bring failure. In the beginning, we may face various problems, but the end results will be very sweet. Prophet of Allah (SAW) also faced many problems in the beginning, but in the end, he saw how hundreds and thousands of people turned towards Allah for his steadfastness. Ibn 'Umar, may God be pleased with him, said: "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and give him peace, ordered us to trim closely the mustache and leave the beard as it is (that is grow the beard)." (Reported in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Najiullah
09-19-2006, 04:27 PM
subhanALlah great post
"If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

very true :)

Muezzin
09-19-2006, 08:21 PM
True, but that interviewer sucked and wouldn't have given him the job anyway. Ah the pleasures of job seeking...

Kidman
09-19-2006, 08:30 PM
By him shaving his beard, it means he put the job above Allah. If anything, he's more faithful for that job than Allah.

Kidman

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wilberhum
09-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Do you really believe stories like this?
I find them as credible as pork in Coke.

An employer will not hire someone because he is a Muslim and then says he won’t hire him because he doesn’t conceder him a good Muslim. I find that a bit illogical.

A qualified medical worker. Qualified to do what? Urban ledgers almost always use vague terms that severely limit the verification of there fabrication. Narrated to us by a friend who personally knows this brother. Seams a bit removed and of course, this person’s identity will remain private. That way the story can not be verified.
Notice too, where he is from and where he emigrated to, are vast areas making the story even less verifiable.

I don’t question for a minute that there is Islamaphobia in Canada, but every employer is bias against Muslims. I think not. But then, that’s just me.

Doesn’t Canada have discrimination laws? If that happened in the US, the employer would find himself in court. Of course CAIR is strong in Canada. If the story was true, I’m sure they would love to help.

snakelegs
09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
well, i don't know what country you're in but in the u.s. there are a lot of sikh doctors, with full beard and turban.
i think the story is a bit fishy also.

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Never seen Malaysian soldiers with beards...... And I've heard some company wants their employees to shave.... plus in Malaysian public schools - NO BEARD!!!

Malaikah
09-20-2006, 06:39 AM
wilberhum and snakelegs i think you totally missed the point, which was the MORAL of the story not the story it self... i very much doubt it is real as well (as if a kafir can come back with a response like that lol) but seriously who cares

and the moral isnt that the west hates muslims either, its about putting this life before pleasing God..

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Never seen Malaysian soldiers with beards...... And I've heard some company wants their employees to shave.... plus in Malaysian public schools - NO BEARD!!!
:sl:

:uuh: :uuh:

Malaysia has seriously lost the plot...

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

It's not a problem actually because .... 90% of Malaysian Muslims believe that beard is not obligatory in Islam...

sacred_rose
09-20-2006, 07:33 AM
is the beard obligatory and why wats the purpose of it anyway

also why do men who have strong imam have noor there are so beautiful mashallah i find them more attractive than men with no noor btw am i allowed to say stuff like this
soz if i offended anyone :)

thanks

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 07:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sacred_rose
is the beard obligatory and why wats the purpose of it anyway

also why do men who have strong imam have noor there are so beautiful mashallah i find them more attractive than men with no noor btw am i allowed to say stuff like this
soz if i offended anyone :)

thanks
'noor'? do you mean 'light'?:rollseyes

snakelegs
09-20-2006, 07:49 AM
wilberhum and snakelegs i think you totally missed the point, which was the MORAL of the story not the story it self... i very much doubt it is real as well (as if a kafir can come back with a response like that lol) but seriously who cares

and the moral isnt that the west hates muslims either, its about putting this life before pleasing God..

i understood the MORAL of the story, but i think it would be much better if the story itself sounded more like something that could've actually happened.
just my opinion.

Curaezipirid
09-20-2006, 08:00 AM
alaikumassalam

well I reckon it could have happened

but then I reckon that hair is the way to experiment with Allah's rulings for us, if anybody is so inclined

I mean if we are feeling testy then better rebel with our own hair than any other way; at least there is no denial then

mu'asalam

Malaikah
09-20-2006, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i understood the MORAL of the story, but i think it would be much better if the story itself sounded more like something that could've actually happened.
just my opinion.
lol i strongly agree:peace:

------
09-20-2006, 08:52 AM
"If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"
[BANANA]ReSpEcT!!![/BANANA]

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 04:47 PM

I didn't miss the point at all. It was quite clear and understandable. It is also quite clear that it is presented as a true story and it is understandable that it is a fabrication.

Curaezipirid
09-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Alaikumassalam,

I heard the same story about a foreigner in Canada whom could not get work because he would not go out drinking with work buddies after an interview. Eventually he offered to, or did, and then was not hired for breaking with his own belief that it is best not to drink.

The beard obviously has nothing to do with the story. It is one of those urban myths that people believe in without believing in, or suppose that is not true so as to benefit by the lesson of. Usually they turn out to be repeatedy true but in slightly varying form to that in which first revealed.

wasalam

SHAH G
09-24-2006, 09:29 PM
i really don't get it how can you shave your beard for jus a job man i was about 15 wen my beard stared to grow and i was 15 wen i went to different secondery skool wen i was there first time people thought i was 18 or 19 still now some guys still think i'm old cos my beard is now full fist length i'm 17 i have braces and i'm 6ft tall i have to wait for time to pass or lie about my age LOL anyway i lived through hard stuff people lookin at me but cos everybody no me they no i'm cool some people think i'm sufi but i aint have alot of weakness like listen to music,watchin movies and talkin to gals but still i keep abeard Ahle bait and the sahaba gave ther life to protect the sunnah nobody should be afraid of keepin a beard the beard is sign of a muslim and if sikh don't give crap what people think of his beard why should we:D :D

Curaezipirid
09-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Alaikumassalam,

true there I had not meant that the bearded version of the story is of any less consequence to the non-alcohol drinker version: but it is informative that the story has another version, but from the same location

Here is a story about getting a job with a beard. My uncle, my mother's brother, when he was fourteen already needed to shave when he shaved, and he used to wag school (absenteeism from school is called wagging in Australia, but I can't get that except that it is connected to a dog's tail; but my uncle ain't no dog) from quite young since he could get about the place without being detected as young enough to need to be at school. So then by the time my Nana found out that he was not attending school much he had received a blasters certificate and had a job in a coal mine. But here is the good part: he went on working in mines for quite a long time, and then he modified a piece of mining machinery, and air compressor, so that it worked better in Australian conditions of dry heat. Then the company which manufactured the air compressors used his modification in their production and employed him to travel around the world teaching how to use the modification. Then he got work as a caterpillar mining machinery salesman on a commission, and they could not pay him the commission in cash since he was selling too much, so they paid him in shares in the company. Then just before the stock market crashed in the 1980's he had a sudden premonition about the money and sold all his shares. Now he owns a training company that trains folk to work in the mining industry.

I reckon that such a beard at seventeen is worth a good story.

mu'asalam

Ummah
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
By him shaving his beard, it means he put the job above Allah. If anything, he's more faithful for that job than Allah.

Kidman
Asalaamualaikum

agree with u 100%

Darkseid
09-25-2006, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *Ladan*
:sl: Removing the Obstacle

A qualified medical worker from India emigrated to Canada to live a better life. This Muslim brother had a beard. He applied to many different places for a job and was called for interviews. Though he was highly qualified for the jobs, the interviewers hesitated to hire him because of his beard. One by one, he was rejected from all the companies. One interviewer actually mentioned to him indirectly that his beard was an obstacle to getting the job. Trully, it was a big test for him from Allah. Hopeless and exhausted, the brother decided to remove the obstacle, which was to shave off his beard. Then he returned to that company and requested for another interview. When the interviewer saw him without a beard this time, he refused to give him the job again. The brother became confused and asked to know the reason. The interviewer said "If you are not faithful to your God, how will you be faithful to us?"

This true incident was narrated to us by a friend who personally knows this brother, however, his identity will remain private. In reality, obeying the commandments of Allah does not bring failure. In the beginning, we may face various problems, but the end results will be very sweet. Prophet of Allah (SAW) also faced many problems in the beginning, but in the end, he saw how hundreds and thousands of people turned towards Allah for his steadfastness. Ibn 'Umar, may God be pleased with him, said: "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and give him peace, ordered us to trim closely the mustache and leave the beard as it is (that is grow the beard)." (Reported in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.
:w:
It is a western cultural thing to find beards distasteful. In fact at one point in Russian History, all men were taxed simply for having a beard. But what's funny is that the Western Society would often revere Jesus as a messiah and yet even though he has a beard they personally find beards distasteful. If that isn't a self inflicted contradition then I don't know what is.

But I think this whole part generally comes from a traditional outlook from the Roman World in which it was rare to find someone with a beard, unless they were of relatively old age. Somehow even though Germanic people generally grow beards as regularly as Russians and certain Asian ethnic groups, they still abide and follow these Roman Customs.

SHAH G
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
true said it's jus aint the western it's in muslim country like egypt turkey wer you will c top qiray but with no beard

BlissfullyJaded
09-26-2006, 03:04 AM
Hmm...Actually I have heard of something similar to this happening. My mother told me what happened to a person who knew my grandfather, and I know its not a fabrication. It is something that could've happened, just not in the USA most probably. :)

Curaezipirid
09-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Alaikumassalam

I am sure that the story about the man who would not drink with workmates then drank to get a job was also Canadian, so perhaps it is an older repeating story from Canadian Indigenous heritage. If that is the case there should be folk in Canada whom could verify it.

Here is another one like by which I first learned how often the old seemingly incredible stories repeat: My Grandfather only told me one story from his time fighting in WW2. He told that once they were in Egypt awaiting supply planes and their rations were running out. With only a few days of water and food left the supply planes arrived. A Man ran out into the area that the planes were dropping the food and a big tin of food landed on him and killed him. My Grandfather told me this when at the Australian War Memorial and he was looking through all the names of the men in his battalion who died during the war. He often went there and looked at the names.

Then I learned a better verison of the story. In America Indigenous folk in one specific place used to herd Bison to a cliff top and then eat the ones that fell off the cliff. One bloke thought that he might like to see what the Bison looked like falling off the cliff. . . . .

I wonder if that place in America is connected to Egypt by the same Ley line?

I expect that the beard story could not happen in the USA but only in Canada if it belongs to a Ley line that runs through only that far north of North America.

As for 'westerners' finding a beard distasteful; isn't that because so many men secretly harbour desire to be a women? The Irish reckon that shaving is of the vanity of the English. Perhaps shaving is only a sign of a vivid imagination in respect of proper gender analysis.

But we really ought to be considerate of the fact that for Malay people the picture is a little different only because East Asians are racially inclined toward less hair. In Japan those who are more hairy are discriminated against, and many of them are the Indigenous race, and whose hair is red when bleached rather than blonde.

I reckon men look absurd when they shave, but that is most likely because men I am most familiar with all have beards.

mu'asalam

Muezzin
09-27-2006, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
Hmm...Actually I have heard of something similar to this happening. My mother told me what happened to a person who knew my grandfather, and I know its not a fabrication. It is something that could've happened, just not in the USA most probably. :)
Fair enough, but the interviewers are still buttheads who wouldn't have hired the guy either way.

Curaezipirid
09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Alaikumassalam,

You could have a point there, Muezzin; but I am back in this thread only to comment that in consideration of Malay Muslim men not wearing a beard, perhaps that is aportioned only by the modesty of all East Asian culture?

wasalam

KAding
09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Why would an employee need to be faithful to an organisation? He simply needs to do his job.

Kidman
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Why would an employee need to be faithful to an organisation? He simply needs to do his job.
He must put God first.

Kidman

Mawaddah
09-27-2006, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curaezipirid
Alaikumassalam,

You could have a point there, Muezzin; but I am back in this thread only to comment that in consideration of Malay Muslim men not wearing a beard, perhaps that is aportioned only by the modesty of all East Asian culture?

wasalam
Haha I doubt this.

But I do know that many Malaysians consider the beard to be not Waajib. But to absolutely Ban it is something I find despicable, especially when I recall the former PM Mahathirs words about the beard :
" The only reason why Prophet Muhammad did not shave was because he did not have a razor "

Absolute mockery I call that.

north_malaysian
09-28-2006, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
" The only reason why Prophet Muhammad did not shave was because he did not have a razor "

Absolute mockery I call that.
Actually he uttered the word "gillette"... it's something like "Prophet Muhammad did not shave because there was no "gillette" ... can any body show me that they have "gillette" that time...."
He's crazy like his daughter Marina Mahathir (patron of Sister in Islam - supprters of Liberal Islam).

Do you know that Dr. Mahathir is the chairman of PERKIM (Malaysian Islamic Welfare Assoc.) - which is famous for converting chinese and indians.... how he got that position?:rollseyes

Mawaddah
09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Actually he uttered the word "gillette"... it's something like "Prophet Muhammad did not shave because there was no "gillette" ... can any body show me that they have "gillette" that time...."
He's crazy like his daughter Marina Mahathir (patron of Sister in Islam - supprters of Liberal Islam).

Do you know that Dr. Mahathir is the chairman of PERKIM (Malaysian Islamic Welfare Assoc.) - which is famous for converting chinese and indians.... how he got that position?:rollseyes
I couldn't recall exactly which word he used but thanks for the confirmation, but it all sums up to the same thing.
I wonder then, if Mahathir ever thought about how people went about shaving their heads in those days?

And I never knew that Dr.Mahathir was Chairman of that association!! The irony of it all is making me laugh right now.......

north_malaysian
09-29-2006, 03:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
And I never knew that Dr.Mahathir was Chairman of that association!! The irony of it all is making me laugh right now.......
He just got the position....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.