/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The most peacefull coup

starfortress
09-19-2006, 09:54 PM
September 20, 2006 02:18 AM

Military Coup In Thailand

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, Sept 20 (Bernama) -- Thailand's Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin staged a coup d'etat in the Thai capital, with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra away in New York to attend the United Nations General Assembly.

Sonthi declared over army radio that Thaksin had been overthrown by the "Democratic Reform Council" because there was a need to control the political crisis for the benefit of the country.

"We want this to happen peacefully and we will return democracy as soon as possible," the announcement said.

He also said that all military units must not move from their barracks without orders from the council following reports that soldiers loyal to Thaksin would try to end the coup.

Dozens of soldiers under Sonthi's command in army tanks and trucks have seized control of Government House and television channels as all normal programmes on local television channels have been stopped and replaced with documentaries or march music in praise of King Bumiphol Adulyadej.

There were reports of shooting in some parts of the capital, especially near army camps in Chaeng Wattana, but this could not be verified.

Confusion arose after Thaksin, speaking over Channel Nine from New York, declared a state of emergency in Bangkok and transferred Sonthi to the Prime Minister's Office.

Thaksin's announcement, which was cut short, came after rumours emerged in the capital that Sonthi has ordered his army troops to be on standby for the coup d'etat.

Telephone communications in certain parts of the city were reported disconnected. CNN and BBC broadcasts in Thailand, channelled via cable television, UBC, which is the main pay TV channel, have also been disconnected.

A statement issued by Sonthi read out over army radio said the Cabinet, the 1997 Constitution, the Constitution Court and Parliament had been disbanded.

According to an army source, King Bumiphol is expected to appoint a Supreme Administration Court or Privy Council judge as the caretaker prime minister.

According to eyewitnesses, tanks could be seen in several parts of the capital although no curfew has been declared as at midnight and vehicles were still seen on the roads.

The 57-year-old Thaksin became prime minister in 2001 and was returned to power in a snap election in April 2 this year.

However, the former telecommunication billionaire has been under pressure to step down following allegations of power abuse, corruption and his tax-free sale of family-owned Shin Corporation to Singapore's Temasek Holdings early this year.

The Constitution Court had also declared the April 2 election as invalid and a new election was expected in November.

There had been a plan to stage an anti-Thaksin rally near Government House later Wednesday.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Wahid
09-20-2006, 02:23 AM
BANGKOK, Sept 20 (Bernama) -- Thailand's Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin staged a coup d'etat in the Thai capital, with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra away in New York to attend the United Nations General Assembl
Salam
Inshallah this guy is a good muslim, anyway this is good news

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 05:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wahid
Salam
Inshallah this guy is a good muslim, anyway this is good news
He's a Muslim?

BTW, it's kinda good because we Malaysians dont really like Thaksin and his policy in Southern Thailand....especially Tak Bai and Pattani mosque incidents.

...but Malaysians are injured and died because of some lawless gangsters activities in Southern Thailand. I believe that The Pattanis want to remain with Thailand. We hope lots of efforts between both Thai govt and Muslim minorities to be more integrated... for a peaceful Malaysia and Thailand!!!!

Wahid
09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
He's a Muslim?
Yub :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 06:40 AM
Which means Buddhist Thais are tolerant to Muslim Thais.... I've seen in a documentary that Muslims in Bangkok are sucessfull and expanding rapidly especially among Siamese and Chinese.

KAding
09-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Still, this is somewhat disturbing. They should settle political issues like these by peaceful means, not through military means.

I hope they will restore civilian rule soon.

UmmSqueakster
09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Since becoming a constitutional monarchy in 1932, Thailand has had 17 coups. So, can't say I'm suprised by this. Business as usual among the technocrats who really run the government.

wilberhum
09-20-2006, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Since becoming a constitutional monarchy in 1932, Thailand has had 17 coups. So, can't say I'm suprised by this. Business as usual among the technocrats who really run the government.
I heard that this is the 18th one. They have coups more frequent than most countries have elections. :giggling:

Fishman
09-20-2006, 05:01 PM
:sl:
"Nobody was behind us. We decided on our own, and we took care of it on our own ... because the people have called for it and also because of the mismanagement of the government."
"Thaksin is a Thai and a fellow countryman and there will be no problem should he decide to return. We are like brothers,"
Sounds like quite a nice guy...
:w:

north_malaysian
09-21-2006, 03:34 AM
THAI COUP LEADER PLEDGES TO FIND NEW PM WITHIN TWO WEEKS

Thailand's revered King Bhumipol Adulyadej has endorsed coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin as head of the new Council of Administrative Reform. An announcement on state-run television said the move was to create peace in the country. The announcement urged Thais to remain peaceful and civil servants to listen to General Sonthi from now on.

(SOurce: The Star, 21.09.2006, Front page)

snakelegs
09-21-2006, 03:44 AM
how will this effect the relationship between muslims and non-muslims in thailand? i know there have been problems, but i don't know anything else.

north_malaysian
09-21-2006, 03:44 AM
VIEWS FROM MALAYSIA

"I was taken aback. This is not the way for a change of government. There should be an election."
(Datuk Seri Abdullah Haji Ahmad Badawi, Malaysian Prime Minister)

"We do not think there will be any untoward activities in the Thai-Malaysian border area. But with such developments taking place, our security forces are maintaining high vigilance and are monitoring the latest developments in Bangkok and in the south.

At the moment, we consider this purely an internal and domestic matter for the Thais and it's not for us to interfere with what's going on there."
(Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister)

"No tears will be shed for Thaksin, but tears for Thai democracy. Democratic elections, and not coups, are the way to change governments."(Lim Kit Siang, Malaysian Opposition Leader in the Parliament)

Source: The Star, 21.09.2006, page N3

north_malaysian
09-21-2006, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
how will this effect the relationship between muslims and non-muslims in thailand? i know there have been problems, but i don't know anything else.
Muslims dont like Thaksin, plus General Sonthi is a Muslim. And Muslims have good relationship with the King (who endorsed the coup). Thais are mainly Buddhist but there are also ethnic Thais who are Muslims. The religions might be different but we shares lots of lifestyle, cultural and custom similarities.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.