/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim name for convert

anonymous
09-20-2006, 09:10 AM
:sl:
I am an new muslimah and I want to register my change of faith with the court in UAE. I am told that when I go there they will ask me if I will take a muslim name. The lady that has been teaching me about prayer and the Quran has suggested for me a very nice first name but my question is about last names. Should I keep my last name or adopt a muslim last name? And if i take a muslim last name how do I chose one, since I think taking anothers last name would be like lying about my heritage. Your help is appreciated.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
09-20-2006, 09:22 AM
assalaamu alaykum,

some scholars say changing your first name is optional unless it has an ugly or unislamic meaning (like one brother who was called 'christian' before embracing islam).

other scholars say better to change your first name to an islamic name,

but pretty sure all agree it is better to keep your last name so you do not lie about your origins and keep your family ties. there are some pretty strong ahaddith on this, let me see if i can dig them up for you if no one else finds them first.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

madeenahsh
09-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Asalaam alykum warahmatullaahi wabarakatuh

Dearest sis I would suggest you ask this Brother his very well educated and study Under well Known Scholars of Saudia like Sheikh Uthaymeen Rahimullaah . you may mail your question as you have posted it above inshAllaah.

His Adress and also there many beneficial Audios on His site biidhinillaah inshAllah u can Benefit and learn more .info@understand-islam.net...to Mail Your Question .

Site To Beneficial Articles and Audios.
http://understand-islam.net/
Wasallam alykum

Muhammad
09-20-2006, 09:38 AM

Congratulations on your reversion to Islam; may Allaah keep you steadfast upon it and increase your knowledge, Aameen!

We had a similar thread about this topic here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/marriage...last-name.html

You can also check these links:

How a new Muslim should change his name

Taking a family name other than that of one’s father (or attributing oneself to someone other than one’s father)

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IceQueen~
09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
SUBHANALLAH!!! congrats on your reversion to islam!!!
Insha allah you'll find everyone else's link helpful :) (I can't find any)

anonymous
09-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Thank you all for your replies I think it is clear now that if I take a muslim first name I should still keep my fathers last name... thanks again
Ma'salaama

Qurratul Ayn
09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
:salamext:

CONGRATULATIONS, Sister anonymous on your coming to Islam!!!!!

Changing your first name is optional but many Brothers and Sisters who have reverted to \Islam change their first name and keep their surname such as the famous Nasheed artist Dawud Wharnsby, he reverted to Islam, Subhan'Allaah, and changed his first name but kept his last so he sticks with his origins and family, but overall it is your choice and Insha'Allaah you shall choose well.

Qurratul Ayn

Qurratul Ayn
09-20-2006, 09:52 AM

But now as I can read, you have recieved all the help from the Brothers and Sisters and Insha'Allaah you shall heed it!!!

Qurratul Ayn

syilla
09-20-2006, 11:06 AM
congratulations... :)

its good to have another beautiful islamic arabic name....

i wish i could have another few beautiful names too :rolleyes:

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome to Islam Sis! :)
May Allah shower you with His mercy and blessings. Ameen.

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
oops... "anonymous" so, Welcome to Islam Sis/Bro! :)

UmmSqueakster
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Welcome home to islam!

If I may just give my 2 little cents here on the first name change thing. I didn't change my name when I converted, and I find it's pretty good for dawah this way. I'm a hijabi, so when people see me, they go, hmm, muslim, but wait, her name sounds "american." This tickles something in the back of their head, and may prompt them to ask me questions about islam and why I converted.

DigitalStorm82
09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Good Advice :)

But I don't know whether it's too late or not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.