/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy And Fasting?

nishom
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
SALAAM ALL,

One of my dearest friends recently had an epileptic fit.

Alhamdulillah, he has recovered, but is currently on medication.

He wants to fast but the doctor advised him not to do so, as it would mean hes not gonna be taking his medication.

What should he do? should he follow the advise of his doctor or should he fast if he feels he is able to do so-Even if this means not taking his medication.

Someone said to me why cant he fast and take his medication before sehri and after ifter.

Well the prob is that he has to take 8 tablets a day, throughout the day.

ANY ADVISE?

Jazakallah Khairun.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
E'jaazi
09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
I know someone who had and still has this same problem. The ruling is, if you are unable to fast because of medical reasons, and even after Ramadan you cannot make up the fast, then you should do Kaffaarah (Expiation).

i) freeing of a slave;
ii) if he did not find, then he must fast two consecutive months and
iii) if he is not able, then he must feed sixty miskeen (poor people)

Also:

2. Whoever has to do Kaffaarah (expiation) and is not able to do any of the things prescribed by the hadeeth i.e. if he is not able to free a slave, nor fast two consecutive months, nor can he feed sixty miskeen (poor people), then he is not accountable because he does not have the ability to do any. The principle that applies here is that there is no responsibility except with ability, as Allah (T) said:

{Allah does not burden a person more than he can bear] [Al - Baqarah 2:283]

The principle is also established in the same hadeeth of the Messenger (S) when the man told him that he does not have the ability for ny of the things the Messenger (S) told him to do.

I hope that this answers your question. The only I am not sure of yet is how much you have to give to the poor.

- Qatada -
09-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Fasting of one who loses consciousness

Question:

I would like to find out if it is compulsory for a person to fast if he suffers from epilepsy.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, the one who suffers from epilepsy has to fast in Ramadaan, and he is not exempted from fasting because of that.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

A man loses consciousness for a few hours – does he have to fast?

He answered:

If he only lost consciousness for a few hours, then he has to fast, like the one who sleeps for a while. The fact that he loses consciousness for a few days during the day or during the night does not mean that he is not obliged to fast.

Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 15/210.

But if he is unconscious for the whole day (i.e., from dawn until sunset), then his fast is not valid and he has to make up that day. But if he wakes up during the day then his fast is valid.

See also Question no. 9245, 12425.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...epsy%20fasting

Malaikah
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
:sl:

^bro i think that article is assuming the person isnt on medication?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
09-22-2006, 11:50 AM
:wasalamex

Oh ok.. shall i keep it up or delete my post?

madeenahsh
09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Asallam alykum warahmatullaahi wabarakatuh.
Allaah subhana wata ala says in sura An Nahl

16:43 Wama arsalna min qablika illa rijalan noohee ilayhim faisaloo ahla alththikri in kuntum la taAAlamoona

16:43 And We sent not (as Our Messengers) before you (O Muhammad Sallallahu alyi Wasalam) any but men, whom We inspired, (to preach and invite mankind to believe in the Oneness of Allah). So ask of those who know the Scripture if you know not.

I would recommand you to sumbit your question to these adres inshAllaah biidhinillaah so you will get the most accurate answer for your friends situation inshAllaah. Allaah knows best.
You would also log to this site to directly submit your question, http://understand-islam.net/

or use the mail addy to mail,

info@understand-islam.net

Wasallam alykum

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.