/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Choosing names.

limitless
09-21-2006, 01:20 AM
:sl:

Can a muslim brother and of course his wife name their baby girl non-muslim names, i.e., Veronica? Does that go against Islamic and Prohepts (PBUH) teachings?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Isn't it recommended u use a Muslim name? Why do you want too use a non muslim name though =\

limitless
09-21-2006, 02:19 AM

It's just I like that name, I know there are great muslim girl names, but I just prefer that one. But if it isn't allowed then it is completely understandable.

That name, Veronica, isn't linked with Chrisainty, it's just a name derived from english language. My name isn't muslim, I think.

DigitalStorm82
09-21-2006, 02:30 AM
VERONICA - Bringing victory

Origin: Greek
Stats: 3581 total votes
637 have this name
194 wish they had this name
134 gave this name to their child

Nothing wrong with the meaning of the name... but why would you deprive her of her own heritage and islamic name. People in the hereafter will be called by names of this world.

There are alot nicer names than that.. but decision is yours.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
limitless
09-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Thank you brother. And your right, but it is my preferences I like that name, just like the colour blue is my favourite. But I doubt I will have any choice given if I have a daughter to give her a name.

Kittygyal
09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
i think you should think carefully inshallah, because when i was a christain && my name was Jodie i was NOT allowed to keep that name when i converted for several reasons firstly the "Jesus noble" does not exist in Islam so yes am sure Vorinca is not a muslim name, inshallah you will understand why The prohibited names are of two categories: those which are forbidden in the Sharee'ah and those which are either disapproved of due to the Sharee'ah, or due to manners and good taste.

Firstly : Forbidden Names :
(1) Names indicating servitude to other than Allah - the Most High such as: 'Abdun-Nabee (slave of the Prophet), 'Abdur-Rasool (slave of the Messenger) and 'Abdul - Muttalib - and whatever is like these names.

(2) Using these names which are particular names of Allah - the One far removed from all deficiencies - like: al-Ahad.

(3) From the names forbidden for our sons and daughters particular to other religions, i.e.: Jews and the Christians, like: George, David, Michael, Joseph, Diana, Jaclyn etc., since we - the Muslims - have been forbidden to imitate them.

(4) From the names which should also be avoided are the names of tyrants and despots like: Fir'awn (Pharaoh), Qaaroon, Aboo Jahl and their like, also the names of the leaders of Kufr and the heads of atheism such as Marx, Lenin and so on.

Secondly: Names disapproved of in the Sharee'ah or disliked due to bad manners or bad taste :
(1) Giving names which are meant to show servitude to Allah but using names not known to be from Allah's perfect names - like 'Abdul-Mawjood, 'Abdul-Maqsood and 'Abdus-Sattaar. This is because nothing can be affirmed as one of Allah's names without an authentic text.

(2) From these names are those which carry meanings of pessimism, or blameworthy characteristics which will be disliked or cause aversion or cause the possessor of the name to feel degraded, humiliated and such as will kill his personality - like Harb (war), Himaar (donkey), and Kalb (dog).

(3) From good manners is to avoid naming children with names which are suggestive or offend one's meaning of shame - such as: Huyaam (one passionately in love), Nuhaad (A young woman with full and raised breasts), Sahaam (summer heat)!, Wisaal (sexual union), Ghaadah (delicate young woman), Faatin (temptress), Fitnah (temptation), Shaadiyah (female singer) and names with similar meanings.

(4) It is also disliked to give names which amount to a declaration of a person's being pious like: Barrah (pious / piety) and the like - due to this meaning the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) changed the name of one of his wives from Barrah to Zaynab, as he used to hate that it be said: "He left/went out from 'Barrah' (piety)."

(5) From these names which it is disliked to use for naming are the names of the Angels- Particularly if they are used for females - such as Malaak since it is to be feared that this involves imitation of the pagans who gave feminine names to the angels.

(6) Just as it is disliked to name with the names of soorahs of the Qur'an such as: TaaHaa, Yaaseen and other names of soorahs. This is the saying of Imaam Maalik- rahimahullaah- Ibnul- Qayyim also said: "The saying of the common people that Yaaseen and TaaHaa are from the names of the Prophet (peace be upon him) is not correct, there is no 'saheeh' hadeeth about it or any 'hasan' hadeeth, nor anything 'mursal', nor any narration from any Companion, but rather they are letters like 'Alif Laam Meem', 'HaaMeem', 'Alif Laam Raa' and the like".

i hope you understand Akhi insshallah :)

w.salam

bint_muhammed
09-21-2006, 05:31 PM
why not add a muslim second name after it i.e. middle name like aisha some of my family names especially mum side havnt got islamic names, but i'm sure there sint anything wrong with it! however names do have an affect on the person so let it have a good meaning!

Helena
09-21-2006, 07:37 PM
interesting topic...even my name is english...am sure u've all noticed...helena....its not islamic........

am sure there isnt nothing wrong to keep such name....

limitless
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM

My name isn't Islamic, it is a cultural name, same with my mom. I don't really see anyone arguing about My mom's name, which is Russian. Anyone has a link to islamic name website? I still prefer Veronica name, I asked people here they think it is ok, but I need more information to come to a conclusion. And Thank you sister Kitty gyal for that wonderful clearfying note :), appericate your time and effort.

Fishman
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

Can a muslim brother and of course his wife name their baby girl non-muslim names, i.e., Veronica? Does that go against Islamic and Prohepts (PBUH) teachings?

I wouldn't want to do that to my hypothetical child! It would be like depriving them of their Islamic heritage. What would be better than people knowing that your daughter is a Muslim as soon as they read her name? Our names help distinguish us from the non-Muslims, something that the Prophet asked us to do!

جوري
09-21-2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.smacanada.ca/sma/baby_names-female.asp
difficult to choose a baby name... easier for boys I think... my nephew is named after Omar ibn ilkhtab... both my nieces are named with by the letter L
one is lila and the other is lulwah....... I also like the name sireen which is the name of the wife of the prophet's companion ibn Thabit... I think there are lots of lovely islamic baby names... but one should choose a beautiful name that will hopefully make their baby happy in the future.....The above list is a comprhensive list I think?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I dunno I dont even like that name...Veronica.... There are soooo many beautiful Islamic names..hard to pick :)
I like names that are different, nice meaning, and not common.

جوري
09-21-2006, 09:11 PM
I think like he said it is a matter of preferance... when prophet ya7ya was named "ya7ya" (john the baptist) in the quran it says.......يَا زَكَرِيَّا إِنَّا نُبَشِّرُكَ بِغُلَامٍ اسْمُهُ يَحْيَى لَمْ نَجْعَل لَّهُ مِن قَبْلُ سَمِيًّا {7}
[Pickthal 19:7] (It was said unto him): O Zachariah! Lo! We bring thee tidings of a son whose name is John; we have given the same name to none before (him).
so if he wants to be creative and not go for something common... it is his right... we shouldn't put a damper on an otherwise happy event........ Even if we personally feel an Muslim name is superior......
peace

limitless
09-21-2006, 11:49 PM

Oh what a terrffic name site. I think I will re-consider the name Veronica. Thank you sister.

limitless
09-21-2006, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I wouldn't want to do that to my hypothetical child! It would be like depriving them of their Islamic heritage. What would be better than people knowing that your daughter is a Muslim as soon as they read her name? Our names help distinguish us from the non-Muslims, something that the Prophet asked us to do!

There is only one person in my family with a islamic name, and that is my middle brother, other than that, everyones is cultural name; how sad that is.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
So you can start the trend with Arabic names =))

Abdulwaheed
09-22-2006, 12:07 AM
All the 6 males in my family have names beginning with Abdul except one of my brothers called - binyamin. i was wondering if thats an islamic name too. i know binyamin/benjamin was the name of the youngest brother of Prophet Yusuf. does that make it islamic?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Seems like it to me. Maybe someone who knows can tell u.

Kittygyal
09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
salam.
well just to clarify remember one thing, if the name does NOT have good meaninf for eg, like mine Jodie it is the meaning with Noble Of Jesus thats in simple words but it really means "means: Grace of God" which is NOT an islamic name but even now i still be called Jodie because all of my relatives are NOT muslims they are christains from me mam side anywho when i converted i had to change my name to an muslim name because the meaning of my name was NOT acceptable so i choose Alisha which means "Truth, Noble" inshallah you can use this site >>>http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Jodie.html or >>> http://www.20000-names.com/male_arabian_names.htm to help you just type any name what ever letter it starts with && then choose for a gyal or a boy inshallah you can find the meaning of the names :), also it's is permissable to have a name begining with "Abdul" because many arbas have names beginig with Abbdul but someone better can tell inshallah ;)
w,salam

جوري
09-22-2006, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

Oh what a terrffic name site. I think I will re-consider the name Veronica. Thank you sister.

my pleasure :)

جوري
09-22-2006, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdulwaheed
All the 6 males in my family have names beginning with Abdul except one of my brothers called - binyamin. i was wondering if thats an islamic name too. i know binyamin/benjamin was the name of the youngest brother of Prophet Yusuf. does that make it islamic?
I think binyamin means son of the righteous? but our christian counterparts translate it as the "right hand of God" if you speak arabic you can clearly see though than bin is the "son of" and yameen means right..... either way it is my personal feeling that there is nothing wrong with naming binyameen? I could be wrong
Allah a3lam

Daffodil
09-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Asalamulaikum

Be very cautious of islamic name sites, especialy the one kittygyal pasted called muslim baby names, as even on their site they state that the names are posted by random ppl and the meanings sometimes can be wrong, make sure u double check with an arabic speaking person or local imam etc about the meaning.

ur bros n sis are right in saying to choose a gud muslim name because this is the name she will be going by for the rest of her life, and imagine how many times ppl will assume shes not a muslim and question her about her name because its not an islamic name.

in the book i was reading regarding rules n regulations for new borns by muhammed al jibaly it tells u all about picking a gud islamic name that can be sed in arabic.

in the book it also states that a persons name has a big profound effect on their character. so pick a gud islamic name for ur muslim daughter that will inshallah reflect her character.

~*~Serene~*~
09-24-2006, 11:51 PM
As a muslim I thought that we can have any name we want as long the meaning of the name doesn't go against islam. and i think some the members explained that already . So for example if Veronica has a good meaning behind it then there should not be anything wrong with using it, right?.

Ninth_Scribe
10-07-2006, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Isn't it recommended u use a Muslim name? Why do you want too use a non muslim name though =\
OK, perhaps I've misunderstood something because I'm not Muslim, but I thought if I ever became Muslim, I would be expected to choose a Muslim name for myself. I even went over the list of female names to try to select one, though it left me confused. I honestly don't know what I should call myself. So I thought that maybe I should just leave that decision to the Muslims... they can surprize me, lol.

But now I'm even more confused :heated:

Ninth Scribe

DigitalStorm82
10-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I suggest Fatimah... name of the daughter odf the prophet...

Also.. what better time to say your shahda than during the month of Ramadan... do not delay any longer... life is unexpected.

rania2820
10-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Using the names of idols that are worshipped instead of Allaah.

Using foreign names, such as Turkish, Persian, Berber, etc. names, that have no origin in the Arabic language.

It is forbidden to use the names of devils (shayaateen), such as Khanzab, al-Walhaan, al-A’war and al-Ajda’. It was reported that the Sunnah is to change names such as these.

Names that are makrooh (disliked) may be categorized as follows:

It is makrooh to use names that have bad or distasteful meanings, or which sound odd, which would cause others to mock a person or would cause him embarrassment, in addition to being contrary to the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who taught us to choose good names.

It is makrooh to use names whose meanings are too soft and provocative or sexy, which is a widespread problem in the naming of girls.

It is makrooh to deliberately name someone after promiscuous actors and singers who star in worthless entertainment shows.

One of the signs of empty-headedness and lack of pride in one's faith is the fact that after a show starring immoral women, people will compete with one another in naming their newborns after these women. Anyone who checks the names registered at the time of one of these shows will see that this is a fact. And our complaining is to Allaah.

It is makrooh to use names that convey any sense of sin and disobedience to Allaah.

It is makrooh to use foreign names that belong only to the kuffaar.

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=16...ing%20children

The Ruler
10-08-2006, 01:00 PM

if u name ur daughter a non muslim nme she myt nme er children non muslim nmes as wel and ovr de yrs dey wil 4get de islamic names....n cud also forget der religion....ya kno at tyms sum1s nme cud b a reminder o der religion :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.