/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Excellence of Observing Saum (Fasts) during Ramadhaan

Ferrari1981
09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, the Most Merciful

The Excellence of Observing Saum (Fasts) during Ramadan

(SOURCE: Riyad-us-Saliheen, Imam Nawawi)

Allah, the Exalted, says:

"O you who believe! the fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious). (Fasting) for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, ( e.g., an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskin (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast is better for you if only you know. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadan, i.e., is present at his home), he must fast that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number (of days which one did not fast must be made up) from other days.'' (2:183-185)

1215. Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, " Allah the Exalted and Majestic said: `Every act of the son of Adam is for him, except As-Siyam (the fasting) which is (exclusively) for Me, and I will reward him for it.' Fasting is a shield. When anyone of you is observing fast, he should neither indulge in obscene language nor should he raise his voice; and if anyone reviles him or tries to quarrel with him, he should say: `I am fasting.' By Him in Whose Hand the soul of Muhammad is, the breath of one observing Saum is sweeter to Allah than the fragrance of musk. The one who fasts, experiences two joys: he feels pleasure when he breaks the fast. He is joyful by virtue of his fast when he meets his Rubb .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

In a narration by Al-Bukhari, the Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, " Allah says: `(The person observing Saum) has abstained from food and drink, and sexual pleasures for My sake; fasting is for Me, and I will bestow its reward. Every good deed has ten times its reward '.''

In a narration by Muslim, the Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "The reward of every (good) deed of a person is multiplied from ten to seven hundred times. Allah (Subhanu wa ta'ala) says: `The reward of observing Saum is different from the reward of other good deeds; Saum is for Me, and I Alone will give its reward. The person observing Saum abstains from food and drink only for My sake.' The fasting person has two joyous occasions, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time of meeting his Rubb. Surely, the breath of one observing Saum is better smelling to Allah than the fragrance of musk .''

Commentary: "Khuluf'', is the smell that comes from the mouth of person who observes Saum. It results from the thirst and hunger which he has to suffer during the Saum. The Hadith not only tells us the merits of Saum but also brings into focus the true significance of it. Saum is not thus mere abstention from food, drink and sexual intercourse, but also keeping away from all evils and vices and embracing virtues.

1216. Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "He who spends a pair in the way of Allah will be called from the gates of Jannah: `O slave of Allah! This gate is better for you' and one who is constant in Salat (prayer), will be called from the Gate of Salat; and whoever is eager in fighting in the Cause of Allah, will be called from the Gate of Jihad; and who is regular in observing Saum will be called from Ar-Raiyan Gate. The one who is generous in charity will be called from the Gate of Charity. '' Abu Bakr (radi'Allahu anhu) said: "O Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam)! May my mother and father be sacrificed for you! Those who are called from these gates will stand in need of nothing. Will anybody be called from all of those gates?'' He replied, " Yes, and I hope that you will be one of them.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Pair'' means two; in other channels of transmission, it has been explained thus: "They asked him, `Pair of what?' He (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, ` A pair of horses, cows or camels'.'' "Pair'' in this Hadith, however, can be all-inclusive; i.e., fasting two days or performing two prayers, etc. This Hadith also mentions special distinction of Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (radi'Allahu anhu) and the esteem in which he was held by the Prophet (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam). It also transpires from this Hadith that one can praise such a person right on his face about whom one does not fear that it will make him proud. This Hadith has also an inducement for giving in Sadaqah two instead of a single item.

1217. Sahl bin Sa`d (radi'Allahu anhu): The Prophet (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "In Jannah there is a gate which is called Ar-Raiyan through which only those who observe Saum (fasting) will enter on the Day of Resurrection. None else will enter through it. It will be called out, "Where are those who observe fasting?'' So they will stand up and proceed towards it. When the last of them will have entered, the gate will be closed and then no one will enter through that gate .''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith tells us about the special distinction of those who observe Saum. "Only those who observe Saum '' signify the faithful who not only observe Saum during the month of Ramadan but also frequently observe voluntary fasts over and above the obligatory ones, otherwise Saum of Ramadan are compulsory for every Muslim. Similar is the case of the people of Salat, people of Sadaqah and people of Jihad, who have been mentioned in the preceding Ahadith otherwise all Muslims are on par so far as the Salat, Sadaqah, etc., are concerned.

1218. Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (radi'Allahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, " Every slave of Allah who observes Saum (fasting) for one day for the sake of Allah, Allah will draw his face farther from Hell-fire to the extent of a distance to be covered in seventy years .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Every slave of Allah'' includes men, women, the free and the unfree, because they are slaves of Allah. The Hadith highlights the excellence of fasting for the sake of Allah which will serve, on the Day of Resurrection, as shield against Hell-fire.

1219. Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu alnhu) reported: The Prophet (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "He who observes fasting during the month of Ramadan with Faith while seeking its reward from Allah, will have his past sins forgiven .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Sins'' here means minor sins which relate to the Rights of Allah.

1220. Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "When Ramadan begins, the gates of Jannah are opened, the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are chained .''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This is a special distinction of the month of Ramadan during which Muslims become more inclined towards the worship of Allah. They pay greater attention to the recitation of the Qur'an, remembrance of Allah, worship, and seeking pardon for sins.

1221. Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sall'Allahu alayhi wasalam) said, "Observe Saum (fast) on sighting the crescent and terminate it on sighting it (the new moon), but if the sky is cloudy before you, then complete the number (thirty days) of the month .''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The words "Ghabiya'', and "Ghumma '', both have the same meanings, namely clouded sky or sky overcast with clouds, as a result of which the moon is not visible. In that case, the injunction is that thirty days of the month be completed. If the moon of Ramadan is not sighted on the 29th Sha`ban, then its thirty days be completed and Ramadan's Saum be started on the next day. Similarly, if the moon for the month of Shawwal is not sighted on the 29th of Ramadan, thirty days of Saum must be completed before celebrating `Eid-ul-Fitr. This means that the sighting of the moon is necessary for keeping the Saum of Ramadan. Counting by celestial system is not sufficient for this purpose. Moreover, the evidence of reliable witnesses for the crescent of Ramadan and the evidence of two dependable witnesses for the crescent of Shawwal are sufficient. This amount of evidence will fulfill the requirement of sighting the moon. Whether the sighting of the moon at one place is sufficient for another place is controversial and arguments of both the groups of `Ulama', who support and oppose it, are based on this Hadith. The group which contend that the sighting of the moon at one place is valid for another holds that the words " Sumu" and "Aftiru" are addressed to all the Muslims, and for this reason the sighting at one place holds good for another place. The group which holds that the sighting of the moon at one place is not enough for the Muslims of other localities contend that the words are addressed to the people who have actually sighted the moon. The Muslims of the localities of other areas who have not sighted the moon are not addressed by these words. They say that the sighting of the moon goes with each area according to which they will decide about starting of Saum and celebrating `Eid. There is a third group also, which is of the opinion that for such areas which are in close proximity and do not have much difference in the timings of sunrise and sunset, the sighting of the moon at one place holds good for the other. In any case, it is a moderate view, which can be implemented without fear of its being wrong. According to this view, at least in one country the sighting of the moon at one place holds good for all other areas.

MAY ALLAH MAKE THIS ARTICLE BENEFICIAL TO ALL - AMEEN

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
09-15-2006, 06:57 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

JazakAllahu khayr for this article :thumbs_up

Helena
09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
:sl:

The Excellence of Observing Saum (Fasts) during Ramadhaan

Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala, the Exalted, says:

"O you who believe! the fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun (the pious). (Fasting) for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, (e.g., an old man), they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a Miskin (poor person) (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast is better for you if only you know. The month of Ramadhaan in which was revealed the Qur`aan, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong). So whoever of you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadhaan, i.e., is present at his home), he must fast that month, and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number (of days which one did not fast must be made up) from other days.'' (2:183-185)

1215. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Allaah the Exalted and Majestic said: `Every act of the son of Adam is for him, except As-Siyaam (the fasting) which is (exclusively) for Me, and I will reward him for it.' Fasting is a shield. When anyone of you is observing fast, he should neither indulge in obscene language nor should he raise his voice; and if anyone reviles him or tries to quarrel with him, he should say: `I am fasting.' By Him in Whose Hand the soul of Muhammad is, the breath of one observing Saum is sweeter to Allaah than the fragrance of musk. The one who fasts, experiences two joys: he feels pleasure when he breaks the fast. He is joyful by virtue of his fast when he meets his Rabb.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

In a narration by Al-Bukhari, the Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Allaah says:'(The person observing Saum) has abstained from food and drink, and sexual pleasures for My sake; fasting is for Me, and I will bestow its reward. Every good deed has ten times its reward'.''

In a narration by Muslim, the Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "The reward of every (good) deed of a person is multiplied from ten to seven hundred times. Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala says: `The reward of observing Saum is different from the reward of other good deeds; Saum is for Me, and I Alone will give its reward. The person observing Saum abstains from food and drink only for My sake.' The fasting person has two joyous occasions, one at the time of breaking his fast, and the other at the time of meeting his Rabb. Surely, the breath of one observing Saum is better smelling to Allaah than the fragrance of musk.''

Commentary: "Khuluf'', is the smell that comes from the mouth of person who observes Saum. It results from the thirst and hunger which he has to suffer during the Saum. The Hadeeth not only tells us the merits of Saum but also brings into focus the true significance of it. Saum is not thus mere abstention from food, drink and sexual intercourse, but also keeping away from all evils and vices and embracing virtues.

1216. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "He who spends a pair in the way of Allaah will be called from the gates of Jannah: `O slave of Allaah! This gate is better for you' and one who is constant in Salaat (prayer), will be called from the Gate of Salaat; and whoever is eager in fighting in the Cause of Allaah, will be called from the Gate of Jihad; and who is regular in observing Saum will be called from Ar-Raiyan Gate. The one who is generous in charity will be called from the Gate of Charity.'' Aboo Bakr (radhiallaahu` anhu) said: "O Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam! May my mother and father be sacrificed for you! Those who are called from these gates will stand in need of nothing. Will anybody be called from all of those gates?'' He replied, "Yes, and I hope that you will be one of them.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Pair'' means two; in other channels of transmission, it has been explained thus: "They asked him, `Pair of what?' He Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, `A pair of horses, cows or camels'.'' "Pair'' in this Hadeeth, however, can be all-inclusive; i.e., fasting two days or performing two prayers, etc. This Hadeeth also mentions special distinction of Aboo Bakr As-Siddiq (radhiallaahu` anhu) and the esteem in which he was held by the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam. It also transpires from this Hadeeth that one can praise such a person right on his face about whom one does not fear that it will make him proud. This Hadeeth has also an inducement for giving in Sadaqah two instead of a single item.

1217. Sahl bin Sa`d (radhiallaahu` anhu) narrated: The Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "In Jannah there is a gate which is called Ar-Raiyan through which only those who observe Saum (fasting) will enter on the Day of Resurrection. None else will enter through it. It will be called out, "Where are those who observe fasting?'' So they will stand up and proceed towards it. When the last of them will have entered, the gate will be closed and then no one will enter through that gate.'' [Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadeeth tells us about the special distinction of those who observe Saum. "Only those who observe Saum'' signify the faithful who not only observe Saum during the month of Ramadhaan but also frequently observe voluntary fasts over and above the obligatory ones, otherwise Saum of Ramadhaan are compulsory for every Muslim. Similar is the case of the people of Salaat, people of Sadaqah and people of Jihad, who have been mentioned in the preceding Ahadeeth otherwise all Muslims are on par so far as the Salaat, Sadaqah, etc., are concerned.

1218. Aboo Sa`id Al-Khudri (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Every slave of Allaah who observes Saum (fasting) for one day for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will draw his face farther from Hell-fire to the extent of a distance to be covered in seventy years.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Every slave of Allaah'' includes men, women, the free and the unfree, because they are slaves of Allaah. The Hadeeth highlights the excellence of fasting for the sake of Allaah which will serve, on the Day of Resurrection, as shield against Hell-fire.

1219. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "He who observes fasting during the month of Ramadhaan with Faith while seeking its reward from Allaah, will have his past sins forgiven.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Sins'' here means minor sins which relate to the Rights of Allaah.

1220. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "When Ramadhaan begins, the gates of Jannah are opened, the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are chained.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This is a special distinction of the month of Ramadhaan during which Muslims become more inclined towards the worship of Allaah. They pay greater attention to the recitation of the Qur`aan, remembrance of Allaah, worship, and seeking pardon for sins.

1221. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Observe Saum (fast) on sighting the crescent and terminate it on sighting it (the new moon), but if the sky is cloudy before you, then complete the number (thirty days) of the month.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The words "Ghabiya'', and "Ghumma'', both have the same meanings, namely clouded sky or sky overcast with clouds, as a result of which the moon is not visible. In that case, the injunction is that thirty days of the month be completed. If the moon of Ramadhaan is not sighted on the 29th Sha`baan, then its thirty days be completed and Ramadhaan's Saum be started on the next day. Similarly, if the moon for the month of Shawwal is not sighted on the 29th of Ramadhaan, thirty days of Saum must be completed before celebrating `Eid-ul-Fitr. This means that the sighting of the moon is necessary for keeping the Saum of Ramadhaan. Counting by celestial system is not sufficient for this purpose. Moreover, the evidence of reliable witnesses for the crescent of Ramadhaan and the evidence of two dependable witnesses for the crescent of Shawwal are sufficient. This amount of evidence will fulfill the requirement of sighting the moon. Whether the sighting of the moon at one place is sufficient for another place is controversial and arguments of both the groups of `Ulama', who support and oppose it, are based on this Hadeeth. The group which contend that the sighting of the moon at one place is valid for another holds that the words "Sumu" and "Aftiru" are addressed to all the Muslims, and for this reason the sighting at one place holds good for another place. The group which holds that the sighting of the moon at one place is not enough for the Muslims of other localities contend that the words are addressed to the people who have actually sighted the moon. The Muslims of the localities of other areas who have not sighted the moon are not addressed by these words. They say that the sighting of the moon goes with each area according to which they will decide about starting of Saum and celebrating `Eid. There is a third group also, which is of the opinion that for such areas which are in close proximity and do not have much difference in the timings of sunrise and sunset, the sighting of the moon at one place holds good for the other. In any case, it is a moderate view, which can be implemented without fear of its being wrong. According to this view, at least in one country the sighting of the moon at one place holds good for all other areas.

Chapter 221: Merit of Suhoor (Predawn mean in Ramadhaan) and the Excellence of Delaying it till before Dawn

1229. Anas (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Eat Suhoor (predawn meal). Surely, there is a blessing in Suhoor.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadeeth tells us that Suhoor is Masnun (Sunnah of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam), even if one takes a small quantity of food. This meal is blessed and maintains one's energy and vitality during Saum. Against this, if a person goes to sleep after taking his dinner to save himself from the inconvenience of getting up before dawn or takes Suhoor early will be, on one side, disobeying Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam , while on the other side, he will be feeling hunger and thirst very early and very much as he himself has increased the period of fasting by not taking the Suhoor. Subhan Allaah! How the weaknesses of man have been taken into account in the teachings of Islam while suitable provision has been provided to overcome them!

1230. Zaid bin Thabit (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: We took Suhoor (predawn meal) with the Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam and then we stood up for (Fajr) Salaat (prayer). It was asked: "How long was the gap between the two?'' He replied: "The time required for the recitation of fifty Ayat.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: We learn from this Hadeeth that Suhoor should be taken towards the end of its timing. This is the Sunnah of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam. One should, however, take care that it is done before dawn.

1231. Ibn `Umar (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam had two Mu'adhdhin: Bilal and Ibn Umm Maktum (radhiallaahu` anhum). The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Bilal proclaims Adhan [call to Salaat (prayer)] at far end of night, so eat and drink till Ibn Umm Maktum pronounces Adhan.'' Ibn `Umar (radhiallaahu` anhu) added: And the gap between their Adhan was not more than the time spent in one's getting down and the other's climbing (the minaret). [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: We learn from this Hadeeth that in the days of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam there used to be two Mu`adhdhin and two Adhan in the morning. The first Adhan was meant to warn the people who were taking the Suhoor meals that the time for the Suhoor was about to finish and they should make preparation for Fajr prayer. Soon after that there was a second Adhan by another Mu`adhdhin which signified that the time for food was finished and people should attend to Salaat. This practice was, however, terminated later so much so that we do not find it even in the times of the Companions of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam and that of At-Tabee`un (the successors of the Prophet's Companions) and Tabee`ut-Tabee` in (the followers of the Successors). In any case, this practice can be revived.

So far, the question of time between the two Adhan is concerned, `Ulama' have stated that after announcing the Adhan, Bilal used to be engaged in prayer, etc., and waited for the daybreak. When the time for the daybreak drew near, he would then come down and inform Ibn Umm Maktum who would then make Wudoo’, and then proceed to call the Adhan at the beginning of the daybreak. (Ibn Allan).

1232. `Amr bin Al-`As (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "The difference between our observance of Saum (fasting) and that of the people of the Scriptures is Suhoor (predawn meal in Ramadhaan).' ' [Muslim].

Commentary: We learn from this Hadeeth that Suhoor is a distinctive mark with which Allaah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aala has blessed the Muslim Ummah.

Chapter 222: The Superiority of Hastening to Break the Fast, and the Supplication (Du`aa) to Say upon Breaking it

1233. Sahl bin Sa`d (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "People will continue to adhere to good as long as they hasten to break the Saum (fasting).'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: "Adhere to good'' here means welfare of the religion as well as that of this world. Breaking the Saum early does not mean that it is terminated before the prescribed time. What it really means is without any delay after the sunset. One should not delay it for the mere reason that the rigour one has gone through in the Saum should be enhanced further, as is done by some Sufee. There is no merit in such things because the real merit lies in following the Sunnah of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam. Welfare of the Muslims will, therefore, come in the share of the Muslims because of their following the Prophet's Sunnah of breaking the Saum in the early moments of the prescribed time.

1234. Aboo Atiyyah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: Masruq and I visited `Aishah (radhiallaahu` anha) and said: "O Mother of the Believers! There are two Companions of Muhammad Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam and neither of them holds back from doing good acts; but one of them hastens to break Saum (fasting) and hastens to perform the Maghrib prayer, while the other delays breaking Saum and delays performing Salaat (prayer).'' She asked, "Who is the one who hastens to break Saum and perform the Maghrib prayer?'' Masruq said, "It is `Abdullah (meaning `Abdullah bin Mas`ood).'' She said, "The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam used to do so.'' [Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadeeth points out the practice of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam of breaking the Saum and performing the Maghrib prayer in the early moments of the prescribed time.

1235. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Allaah the Most High says: `From amongst my slaves, the quicker the one is in breaking the Saum (fasting), the dearer is he to me.''' [At-Tirmidhi] .

Commentary: The person who breaks the Saum in its early time is best loved by Allaah because he is a true follower of the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam.

1236. `Umar bin Al-Khattab (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said: "When the night approaches from this side (i.e., the east) and the day retreats from that side (i.e., west) and the sun sets, then it is time for a person observing Saum (fasting) to break his fast.'' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The words "break his fast'' can be interpreted in two ways. First, it is time to break the Saum . Second, the Saum has reached its end. Whether one eats or not the Saum is over because it comes to a close with sunset. Thus, the time for Saum has been determined that it begins with the daybreak and ends at sunset. Any increase in this time is exaggeration which is disliked by Allaah.

1237. Aboo Ibrahim`Abdullah bin Aboo Aufa (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: We were with the Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam on a journey and he was observing Saum (fasting). When the sun set, he Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said to a person, "Dismount and prepare the ground roasted barley drink for us.'' Upon this he replied, "O Messenger of Allaah, there is daylight still.'' The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "Get down and prepare barley drink for us.'' He said, "But it is still daytime.'' The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam again said to him, "Get down and prepare barely drink for us.'' So he got down and prepared a barley liquid meal for him. The Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam drank that and then said, "When you perceive the night approaching from that side, a person observing Saum (fasting) should break the fast.'' And he Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam pointed towards the east with his hand. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
Commentary: This Hadeeth stresses that Saum must be broken soon after sunset and without delay.

1238. Salman bin`Amir (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: I heard the Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam saying, "When one of you breaks his Saum (fasting), let him break it on dates; if he does not have any, break his fast with water for it is pure.'' [Aboo Dawood].

1239. Anas (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam used to break his Saum (fasting) before performing Maghrib prayer with three fresh date-fruits; if there were no fresh date-fruits, he will eat three dry dates; and if there were no dry date-fruits; he would take three draughts of water. [At-Tirmidhi] .

Commentary: It is well to keep the priorities of things mentioned in the Hadeeth as one gets the reward of following the Sunnah in breaking his Saum.

Chapter 223: Safeguarding As-Saum (The Fast)

1240. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Messenger of Allaah Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "When any one of you is observing Saum (fasting) on a day, he should neither indulge in obscene language nor should he raise the voice; and if anyone reviles him or tries to quarrel with him he should say: ’I am observing fast.''' [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadeeth has already been mentioned and is repeated here for its being relevant to this chapter. We learn from it that during Saum not only food, drink and sex are prohibited but the improper use of the tongue and the other organs of the body as well. When one is observing Saum, he should neither use Aboosive language nor talk foolishly nor tell lies nor make obscene conversation nor indulge in backbiting nor quarrel with anyone. If someone provokes him, he should keep himself quiet and remember that he is observing Saum and he has to abstain from such things. As far as possible, he should keep his tongue engaged in the remembrance of Allaah and recitation of the Qur`aan.

1241. Aboo Hurayrah (radhiallaahu` anhu) reported: The Prophet Sall Allaahu`alayhi wa sallam said, "If one does not eschew lies and false conduct, Allaah has no need that he should abstain from his food and his drink.'' [Al-Bukhari] .

Commentary: This Hadeeth exhorts those observing Saum to fulfill all the requirements of fasting. One should not conduct himself in such a manner that on the one side he observes Saum and on the other he is fearless of Allaah. To save himself from Allaah's Wrath and to get the reward of the fasts, one must abstain from all sorts of vices, such as cheating, lying, backbiting, and using obscene language. The threat held against such people in this Hadeeth should make them fear that their Saum will go waste and they would be deprived of its reward. It does not mean that such people should start eating and drinking during Saum but what is intended is that they should save themselves from all kinds of sins so that they may earn the reward of Saum.

:w: :)

Najiullah
09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
JazakAllah excellent
thanks for sharing

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ferrari1981
09-23-2006, 05:59 AM
RAMADHAN MUBARAK peeps

Our first Sehri of the day is today... Inshallah you will all be in my dua in the name of "myislamweb Forums"

This is an important thread please do read and stay on the right path Inshallah...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.