/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Global warming- the end of the world as we know it?

Fishman
09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
:sl:
Why do we concentrate on the illegal US wars? llegal US oil firms may cause many more Muslims to die or have their lives destroyed. Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Egypt, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Bahrain and the Maldives will all be severly affected by global warming, but where are all the Islamic protests?

http://www.globalwarm.com/
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
09-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I guess nobody here cares about how we are destroying Allaah (swt)'s world then. Or how my generation will probably have to live as impoverished asylum seekers in the US.

Muezzin
09-22-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't think a lot of people understand the severity of the danger global warming poses, to be honest. I think they might get mental images of some sort of global radiator and just start giggling.

Keltoi
09-22-2006, 05:48 PM
The main danger is an increase in natural disasters. I'm sure human interference has affected the chemical makeup of the Earth's atmosphere, but I'm still not totally convinced this phenomenon is totally man made. I think we are also seeing a natural change in Earth environment.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
09-22-2006, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The main danger is an increase in natural disasters. I'm sure human interference has affected the chemical makeup of the Earth's atmosphere, but I'm still not totally convinced this phenomenon is totally man made. I think we are also seeing a natural change in Earth environment.
The geological history indicates that this is nothing new and is part of a normal cycle. true we may have sped the process up a bit, but so far there is no indication of anything that has not occured in the past.

Ninth_Scribe
09-22-2006, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The geological history indicates that this is nothing new and is part of a normal cycle. true we may have sped the process up a bit, but so far there is no indication of anything that has not occured in the past.
I've been keeping on top of this research, from the satellite imagery of the collapse of the Larsen ice shelf (antarctic) to the magnetic shifts in the northern pole. Alaska will lose their beloved "Northern Lights" which are now on route to Siberia. Archealogical evidence from research teams in the arctic territory indicate that the region used to be tropical at one time.

Call it a growing pain, and the changes will be radical, but it's just the nature of the world. No need to go all doomsday over it. Just put your seat-belts on and be sure your trays are locked in the upright position. We're going to go for a wild ride.

Some interesting links that discuss these subjects are:

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofn...ole_shift.html

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2005/s2384.htm

http://nsidc.org/iceshelves/larsenb2002/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5034026.stm

Ninth Scribe

Fishman
09-22-2006, 06:17 PM
When were these massive temperature changes in the past? Natural climate change takes much longer than 50 years.

That rise at the end is much larger than the natural ups and downs at the other.

IbnAbdulHakim
09-22-2006, 06:27 PM
its all part of Allahs decree, who knows mayb the whole sky cracking and day of judgement cud come about when global warming takes its full toll :?

^^ THATS A VERY DODGY GESS BTW, i DONT REALLY BELIEVE IN THAT AT ALL !!!

The Ruler
09-22-2006, 06:32 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by fishdude
Why do we concentrate on the illegal US wars? llegal US oil firms may cause many more Muslims to die or have their lives destroyed. Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Egypt, the UAE, Kuwait, Iraq, Bahrain and the Maldives will all be severly affected by global warming, but where are all the Islamic protests?
we v already caused a lot o 'mayhem' protestin against certain fings...do u fink it wud b appropriate to protest against dat too??...der r much mor bigger fings dan global warming...de ummahs lakin trus n blief...in dis case wt do u fink wud b much mor appropriate?...tryin ta xtinguish de borders o fire between de muslim ummah or to protest against global warming :?

Ninth_Scribe
09-22-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
When were these massive temperature changes in the past? Natural climate change takes much longer than 50 years.
To quote the experts (and this is verbatum):

"Basically, it looks like the Earth released a gigantic fart of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere - and globally the Earth warmed by about 5C (9F). This event is already widely studied over the whole planet - but the one big exception was the Arctic Ocean." The core revealed that before 55 million years ago, the surface waters of the Arctic Ocean were ice-free and as warm as 18C (64F). But the sudden increase in greenhouse gases boosted them to a balmy 24C (75F) and the waters suddenly filled with a tropical algae, Apectodinium."

And there you have it. The report continues to say that it was the introduction of this algae that cooled the temps down. The link to the full report is on my post above this one.

Ninth Scribe

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
To quote the experts (and this is verbatum):

"This event is already widely studied over the whole planet - but the one big exception was the Arctic Ocean."

The core revealed that before 55 million years ago, the surface waters of the Arctic Ocean were ice-free and as warm as 18C (64F).

But the sudden increase in greenhouse gases boosted them to a balmy 24C (75F) and the waters suddenly filled with a tropical algae, Apectodinium."
[/i]

And there you have it. The link to the full report is on my post above this one.

Ninth Scribe
Basically, it looks like the Earth released a gigantic fart of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere - and globally the Earth warmed by about 5C (9F).
There has been no 'methane fart' recently. what there has been a huge release of is CO2.

The core revealed that before 55 million years ago, the surface waters of the Arctic Ocean were ice-free and as warm as 18C (64F).
That changed slowly, in matters of thousands of years.

Ninth_Scribe
09-22-2006, 07:21 PM
There has been no 'methane fart' recently. what there has been a huge release of is CO2.
Not true. I take a sincere interest in the affairs of this world and am always on watch:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13969811/

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/09/20/story277612.html

Ninth Scribe

glo
09-22-2006, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed
its all part of Allahs decree, who knows mayb the whole sky cracking and day of judgement cud come about when global warming takes its full toll :?
I have heard Christians make similar statements:
God will provide for us, and if this world comes to an end (even if due to human ignorance and selfishness), it is all His will.
A very simplistic view, if you ask me, and very handy if you want to absolve yourself from any responsibility for the planet and all of God's creation! :uuh:

We are appointed as stewards to care for and protect the world God has given us! To ignore that responsibility would be terribly wrong and sinful!

It's why I was asking recently if there are Muslim groups involved in environmental issues. There are some Christian ones, although not as many as there should be!
Christians, Muslims and Jews should be at the forefront of lobbying and fighting for environmental concerns. I quite agree with Fishman on this!

Peace

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Not true. I take a sincere interest in the affairs of this world and am always on watch:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/09/20/story277612.html

Ninth Scribe
That's not excactly a catastrophic release. A catastropic release would be like huge chunks of methane hydrates on the sea floor melting, or the Siberian permafrost thawing. A little leak in a coal mine is nothing compared to Clathrate gun hypothesis!

Ninth_Scribe
09-22-2006, 07:36 PM
That's not excactly a catastrophic release. A catastropic release would be like huge chunks of methane hydrates on the sea floor melting, or the Siberian permafrost thawing. A little leak in a coal mine is nothing compared to Clathrate gun hypothesis!
Yes, I know that. I added the link to the sea floor report too, but not in time for your response. Sorry.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13969811/

Ninth Scribe

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes, I know that. I added the link to the sea floor report too, but not in time for your response. Sorry.

Ninth Scribe
The methane hydrates has not melted in large quantities in recent history anyway. It's a possible danger of global warming though, the largest ever mass extinction may have been caused by it!

Woodrow
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
There is what we are responsable for and that is the burning of hydrocarbons. Oil does belong in the ground and not in the air. That is something we do need to find an alternative for. Myself I favor solar energy.

Nuclear energy is a possibility but it does not seem to be very feasible with todays technology. I think we sort of jumped the gun on that and began promoting it, before we understood it. The current reactors are disasters looking for a place to happen.

glo
09-22-2006, 07:43 PM
There is what we are responsable for and that is the burning of hydrocarbons. Oil does belong in the ground and not in the air. That is something we do need to find an alternative for. Myself I favor solar energy.

Nuclear energy is a possibility but it does not seem to be very feasible with todays technology. I think we sort of jumped the gun on that and began promoting it, before we understood it. The current reactors are disasters looking for a place to happen.
My husband works for the National Energy Foundation here is the UK. He is a great supporter of renewable energies, especially solar and wind energy :)

I agree with your views on nuclear energy. Too risky, too much can go wrong - and go badly wrong!

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
I think biomass is probably the best thing to burn. Something like switchgrass, as suggested by Tim Flannery.

I think we need to build safe, working Jules Verne Launchers to bast the waste into space. But it's very risky though, if it fails there would be radioactive materials scattered all over the pace.
One problem with nuclear power is that whenever the word is mentioned people think of bombs, which puts them off.

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
My husband works for the National Energy Foundation here is the UK. He is a great supporter of renewable energies, especially solar and wind energy :)
According to my father who is a professor of geochemistry at BGS, wind power is not very useful as it generates much less energy than conventional power stations. A turbine being turned by wind is a lot slower than one being turned by hot steam.

glo
09-22-2006, 07:51 PM
According to my father who is a professor of geochemistry at BGS, wind power is not very useful as it generates much less energy than conventional power stations. A turbine being turned by wind is a lot slower than one being turned by hot steam.
Interesting.

What does your father think about solar and water energy? And what about nuclear energy?

Woodrow
09-22-2006, 07:53 PM
The renewable resources especialy solar and wind are great for humanity.

But, they are poor business investments as nobody has figured out how to charge for wind and solar usage. For them to be fully developed it will take people dedicated to investing in the good of the earth and with no profit motivation.

The people of this planet are going to have to develope the attitude that it is OK to help people even those we do not like or agree with. The best thing for all of us is that which can be freely given with no expectation of return.

glo
09-22-2006, 07:55 PM
The renewable resources especialy solar and wind are great for humanity.

The people of this planet are going to have to develope the attitude that it is OK to help people even those we do not like or agree with. The best thing for all of us is that which can be freely given with no expectation of return.
Good post, Woodrow. I very much agree. (I've run out of reps, so I thought I'd say it here!) :D

Fishman
09-22-2006, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Interesting.

What does your father think about solar and water energy? And what about nuclear energy?
I'm not sure of his views on solar and water power, but I know he is pro-nuclear. I too think that once the saftey issues are conquered, nuclear power would probably be the best thing to do. And of course cold nuclear fusion is everybody's dream. Safe clean power forever. But unfortunately it probably won't happen.

I think biomass fuel is the ideal fuel for cars, since hydrogen is rather impractical.

Ninth_Scribe
09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
The methane hydrates has not melted in large quantities in recent history anyway. It's a possible danger of global warming though, the largest ever mass extinction may have been caused by it!
My thought exactly. If the ocean gets too warm and one of these does get released, well... the report says methane is 20 times more powerful. That's what I call speeding up the process, or as we say here, flooring it (as in pedal to the metal).

Ninth Scribe

Woodrow
09-22-2006, 08:03 PM
For most of the world that is true. However in areas where there is a constant prevailing wind, it is effective. True it may take 4 or 5 wind turbines to produce the energy of one steam turbine, but that only results in a higher initial cost which will be compensated by the overall production and no fuel costs. True this is not a "cure" world wide. But I belive it would be practical for areas like the Siberian steppes, Tierra d'el Fuego in the tip of South America, Parts of the Sahara and a few other places. It would bring cheap electricity into areas where it is now the costliest and highly polluting to produce.

KAding
09-22-2006, 11:15 PM

http://www.globalwarm.com/
Ehm. Why are you singling out US oil firms? And isn't it ironic that most of those Muslims countries are themselves producers of oil?

Fishman
09-23-2006, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Ehm. Why are you singling out US oil firms? And isn't it ironic that most of those Muslims countries are themselves producers of oil?
No more oil firms=no more oil production by Saudi.

KAding
09-23-2006, 11:31 AM
No more oil firms=no more oil production by Saudi.
And you are afraid global warming will damage the Saudi's? What about a complete collapse of the economy and widespread poverty?

Fishman
09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
And you are afraid global warming will damage the Saudi's? What about a complete collapse of the economy and widespread poverty?
They should find something new to export. I don't know what, but there must be something else there. Electronics prehaps. Japan did it.

Durrah
09-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Interesting thread :)

Fishman: Sorry to spell it out to you bro, but most muslims (along with alot of other people) dont give a hoots about global warming, or dont think about it that much anyways. Thats why you dont get many muslims out protesting/lobbying in such matters. Its too 'abstract' in their minds. Like you said though, its just not as paramount as the wars going on.

Its a shame. I agree with your thoughts on the matter.

glo
09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Durrah

If you and Fishman and possibly others feel that environmental issues are important enough, then why not try to motivate your Muslim brothers and sisters?

Anyway, I asked the Imam about this matter ... and I will let you know when I receive a reply. :D

peace :)

Keltoi
09-23-2006, 07:20 PM
The sad thing is that environmental issues have become a partisan battle. I care about the environment and I want better regulation of polluting companies, but the Democrats who are championing environmental issues are also championing things that I don't want anything to do with. So I'm forced to focus on "bigger" issues or vote for a person I can't imagine being president of my country because they support environmental reform. The American two-party system has just about ran its course. IMO

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.