/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Palestinian churches ...

glo
09-21-2006, 05:51 PM
This may seem controversial to some:
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has called on Muslims in America and around the world to help repair Palestinian churches damaged following recent controversial remarks by Pope Benedict XVI.

CAIR is urging Muslims to help repair the churches in the West Bank and Gaza by sending a donation to the Catholic Near East Welfare Association.

CAIR's Florida office will hold a news conference today (Thursday) at the Roman Catholic Diocese of St. Petersburg to deliver some initial money to repair the churches.

[...]

"Our campaign is designed to send the message that attacks on any houses of worship are not acceptable and will not be tolerated," said CAIR-Tampa Executive Director Ahmed Bedier.

[...]

CAIR has 32 offices and chapters across the US and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.

[...]
Full article here:
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/ne...slimspal.shtml

Peace :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Stranger~
09-21-2006, 06:53 PM
:sl:
(most-i think)muslims dont even donate to their own brothers.... pffft....

:w:

Ghazi
09-21-2006, 06:55 PM

I won't help rebuild something a place were people are gonna commit shirk, no offense glo that was not my intention sorry if I offended you.

glo
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi

I won't help rebuild something a place were people are gonna commit shirk, no offense glo that was not my intention sorry if I offended you.
No offense taken, Ghazi. :)

I just wondered what people thought about it.

At least some people here felt that damaging churches was an un-Islamic response to the Pope's message - no matter how wrong his words were perceived to be!
I suppose giving money towards repairing them would be a public statement in support of that opinion ...

I guess if something happened to our local mosque I would want to help rebuild it - even if I am not a Muslim and I don't believe Islam to be the true religion.
I most certainly would, if it was Christians who had caused the damage - just as a way to express my sorrow, make amends and build new bridges ...

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Joe98
09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Glo is the only person in this thread showing the Christian spirit :)

Abdul Fattah
09-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Well obviously; she's also the only christian in this tread. :p
(no offence Glo ;) )

Btw, I 'm inclined to agree, helping rebuild would set a good statement. Afterall, muslims did destroy them even though that is not alowed for muslims. So it's only right to compensate. However, I'm not certain. I would be afraid to that by rebuilding it one would be partially responsible for the unislamic rituals that are performed in it.

Skillganon
09-21-2006, 11:24 PM
I think recompensation is needed, we are not allowed to destroy churches. So it is imeprative we rebuild it.

Also recompensation of all the damage in the middle east/ africa wrought by the western countries and their goons.

north_malaysian
09-22-2006, 03:24 AM
I think it's not "shirk" to repair the churches .... because Muslims damaged it so ... fairly enough ... we should compensate the Christians.....

glo
09-22-2006, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
Well obviously; she's also the only christian in this tread. :p
(no offence Glo ;) )

Btw, I 'm inclined to agree, helping rebuild would set a good statement. Afterall, muslims did destroy them even though that is not alowed for muslims. So it's only right to compensate. However, I'm not certain. I would be afraid to that by rebuilding it one would be partially responsible for the unislamic rituals that are performed in it.
I'm not that easily offended, Steve! :D

I'm glad you think it's appropriate to compensate for the damage done.

I have highlighted your last sentence, because it intrigues me.
I understand where you are coming from. From an Islamic point of view Christian worship is wrong, even sinful - and by rebuilding churches you indirectly 'encourage' Christian worship.
But how does this fit in with the tolerant view of Islam that there is not compulsion in following Islam, and each person should be allowed to choose their own religion and be free to follow it??

Can you say 'You are free to follow your Christian faith, but we will allow you churches to be destroyed, and not rebuild them ...'? :?

Peace

Ghazi
09-22-2006, 12:29 PM

But how does this fit in with the tolerant view of Islam that there is not compulsion in following Islam, and each person should be allowed to choose their own religion and be free to follow it??

Can you say 'You are free to follow your Christian faith, but we will allow you churches to be destroyed, and not rebuild them ...'?

You have freedom in religion, but the thing is islam wasn't responsable for the damaged done to the church it was angry indiviuals who did none of it were from islam so I'm not compelled to pay towards rebuilding it, I would have gave a donation if it was a center of some sorts but since it's a church I'd be aiding unislamic actions, It's haraam for someone to aid someone else in sin, If anything those guys who done the damges should be arrested and fined and that should go towards the rebuilding since they were directly responsable.

glo
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi
You have freedom in religion, but the thing is islam wasn't responsable for the damaged done to the church it was angry indiviuals who did none of it were from islam so I'm not compelled to pay towards rebuilding it, I would have gave a donation if it was a center of some sorts but since it's a church I'd be aiding unislamic actions, It's haraam for someone to aid someone else in sin, If anything those guys who done the damges should be arrested and fined and that should go towards the rebuilding since they were directly responsable.
:(
Peace

Obi-Wan
09-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Didn't Sultan Suleiman renovate the Wailing Wall and make it accessible to the Jews? Or have I misheard?

Abdul Fattah
09-22-2006, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I'm not that easily offended, Steve! :D

I'm glad you think it's appropriate to compensate for the damage done.

I have highlighted your last sentence, because it intrigues me.
I understand where you are coming from. From an Islamic point of view Christian worship is wrong, even sinful - and by rebuilding churches you indirectly 'encourage' Christian worship.

Can you say 'You are free to follow your Christian faith, but we will allow you churches to be destroyed, and not rebuild them ...'? :?

Peace
Well there's a big difrince between no compulsion/ alowing on one hand and encouraging, assisting on the other.

Muezzin
09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I think it's a good idea for Muslims, in addition to donating to Islamic charities, to also contribute to this particular initiative.

Woodrow
09-22-2006, 05:27 PM
If you do not own something and you destroy it, that is wrong. It does not matter what the destroyed property was or will be used for.

If it is not ours we have no right to damage it and should be accountable for replacing it.

With that said, I believe it would be a good faith gesture to donate for the repair. There is no reason to consider it an obligation or as supporting another religion. It is to help repair wrongfully damaged property.

~Stranger~
09-22-2006, 05:44 PM

damage churches? NO!

build churches? NO!

glo
09-22-2006, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

damage churches? NO!

build churches? NO!

rebuild damaged churches?

Muezzin
09-23-2006, 11:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
rebuild damaged churches?
Can we fix it?

Yes we can!

...I apologise to any preschoolers reading.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.