/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Attacked for "anti-semitism"

InToTheRain
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
A Liberal democrat peer is to be asked to explain her apparent anti-semitist comments at the party's conference in Brighton.

Baroness Jenny Tonge is alleged to have said pro-israel lobby had "got a grip" on the party at a fringe meeting on Tuesday night.
She will be summoned to discuss her comments with party leader Sir Menzies Campbell and Leb dems leader Tom Mcnally.

Angry Jewish groups prompted the high-level Lib Dem probe.
The baroness is alegged to have told her audience "the pro-israeli lobby has got its grips on the western world, its financial grips. And i think they have probably got a grip on our party"
The former MP was sacked from the Lib Dems front bench in 2004 after she told in a rally by the Palestinian solidarity campaign that she understood what provoked people to become suicide bombers. She said she might have done the same if she lived in the occupied territories.

Last night Sir Menzies chief of staff Norman Lamb MP said the leadership was "deeply disturbed" at reports of her speech and will be taking action.
'we will be seeking a meeting between Jenny, Ming Cambell and Tom Mcnally at the earliest opportunity,' he added.

Jon Benjamin, Chief executive of the board of British Jews, said 'I find it despicable that she believed it was appropriate to make comments such as these.'

My Thoughts on this:
It can be seen that the limits to freedom of speech are as follows:

There is no limit to how much people degrade Islam or Muslims and there will be consequences for showing sympathy towards Muslims. And look at the response she got for simply stating facts about her party and affairs of the world just because her comments are not promoting "semitism"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Source, please.

InToTheRain
09-21-2006, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Source, please.

And I'm not talking about the tomato variety. :playing:
Metro news paper

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.