/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taraweeh

mehnaz
09-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Assalamoalaikum,

i've got quite a few confusions regarding taraweeh prayer.....first of all...is taraweeh sunnat e mokada??or fard??...are there any hadith relating to this matter??....next question is that if there is no place i can go and pray taraweeh as our local masjid doesnot have a seperate section for ladies..then is there any way i can pray taraweeh at home considering that i am not a hafiz...

JazakAllah khair...

W'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
09-22-2006, 03:28 PM
:salamext:

He replied:

You are not sinning by missing taraaweeh because taraaweeh is Sunnah; if a person does it he will be rewarded for it but if he does not do it there is no sin on him.

Allaah knows your intention and that if it were not for the fact that you are occupied with something that you must do, which is earning a living from this job, then you would have prayed taraaweeh. The bounty of Allaah is immense and He will reward you according to your intention.

Fataawa Islamiyyah
, 2/255.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...&txt=taraaweeh

Imams Bukhari and Muslim have reported that A’eeshah (RadhiAllaahu anha) said that the prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) prayed once in the Masjid in one of the night of Ramadan. People joined him, and then more people joined him in the next night. Then more people waited for the prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) in the third and the fourth (night), but the prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) did not come out to them. In the next morning, the prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said: "I have seen what you did, nothing had prevented me from coming out to you except that I feared that it may become obligatory upon you."

mehnaz
09-22-2006, 03:51 PM
JazakAllah khair bro...

- Qatada -
09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
:salamext:

Try this link aswell insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...light=taraweeh

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
^..sTr!vEr..^
09-22-2006, 04:21 PM
hai sis..ofcorse u can read it at home...we all do it..atleast my frds n relatives usually read taraweeehzz at home.. :)
so no worries..
bEsT 0F lUcKkk!~

Daffodil
09-22-2006, 09:54 PM
sister mehnaz, its better for women to pray at home.

the Prophet SAWS (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said: "A woman's prayer in her house is better than her prayer in her courtyard, and her prayer in her bedroom is better than her prayer in her house." (Reported by Abu Dawud in al-Sunan, Baab maa jaa'a fee khurooj al-nisaa' ilaa'l-masjid. See also Saheeh al-Jaami', no. 3833).

Umm Humayd, the wife of Abu Humayd al-Saa'idi reported that she came to the Prophet SAWS (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) and said: "O Messenger of Allaah, I love to pray with you." He said: "I know that you love to pray with me, but praying in your house is better for you than praying in your courtyard, and praying in your courtyard is better for you than praying in the mosque of your people, and praying in the mosque of your people is better for you than praying in my mosque." So she ordered that a prayer-place be built for her in the furthest and darkest part of her house, and she always prayed there until she met Allaah (i.e., until she died). (Reported by Imaam Ahmad; the men of its isnaad are thiqaat (trustworthy) ).

But the fact that praying at home is preferable does not mean that that women are not permitted to go to the mosque, as is clear from the following hadeeth:
From 'Abdullah ibn 'Umar, who said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) say: 'Do not prevent your women from going to the mosque if they ask your permission.'" Bilaal ibn 'Abdullah said, "By Allaah, we will prevent them." (Ibn 'Umar) turned to him and told him off in an unprecedented fashion, saying: "I tell you what the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon Him) said, and you say 'By Allaah, we will prevent them'!!" (reported by Muslim, 667).

But there are conditions attached to the permission for women to go to the mosque, as follows:
(1) She should wear complete hijaab.
(2) She should not go out wearing perfume.
(3) She should have the permission of her husband.

Her going out should not involve any other kind of prohibited acts, such as being alone in a car with a non-mahram driver. If a woman does something wrong like that, her husband or guardian has the right to stop her; in fact it is his duty to do so.

I asked our shaykh, Shaykh 'Abd al-'Azeez, about Taraaweeh prayer in particular, and whether it is better for a woman to perform this prayer in the mosque. He replied in the negative and said that the ahaadeeth that state that it is preferable for a woman to pray in her house apply to all prayers, and this includes Taraaweeh as well as others. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

and no u dnt need to be a hafidh to read taraweeh, just read any surahs that u do know.

bro fi sab, i was checkin that site out today about taraweeh and in one fatwah they sed its sunnah e mukedda, so yea u shud pray it if u cant, but if u dnt then there is no sin on u providing u have a valid reason.

this is quite a long answer, but its a very informative read.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

We do not think that the Muslims should be so sensitive with regard to issues that are the matter of scholarly differences or make them the cause of division and fitnah among the Muslims.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, when speaking about the matter of one who prays ten rak’ahs with the imam, then sits down and waits for Witr and does not complete the Taraaweeh prayers with the imam:

It grieves us deeply that we find in the Muslim ummah a group which differs concerning matters in which differences of opinion are acceptable, and they take these differences as a means to cause division. Differences within the ummah existed at the time of the Sahaabah, yet they remained united. The youth in particular and to all those who are committed to Islam must remain united, because they have enemies who are laying in wait.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/225

Two groups have gone to extremes with regard to this matter. The first group denounced everyone who prays more than eleven rak’ahs and said that doing so was bid’ah. The second group denounced those who do only eleven rak’ahs and said that they are going against scholarly consensus (ijmaa’).

Let us listen to what Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Here we say that we should not go to extremes or be negligent. Some people go to extremes in adhering to the number mentioned in the Sunnah, and say that it is not permissible to do more than the number mentioned in the Sunnah, and they aggressively denounce those who do more than that, saying that they are sinners.

This is undoubtedly wrong. How can they be sinners, when the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), upon being asked about night prayers, said that they are to be done two by two, and he did not specify any particular number? Of course the one who asked him about the night prayer did not know the number, because if he did not know how to do it, it is even more likely that he did not know the number. And he was not one of those who served the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) so that we might say that he knew what happened inside his house. Since the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told him how to do it but did not say how many times, it may be understood that the matter is broad in scope, and that a person may pray one hundred rak’ahs then pray Witr with one rak’ah.

With regard to the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Pray as you have seen me praying”, this does not apply in absolute terms even for these people. Hence they do not say that a person should pray Witr with five rak’ahs sometimes and with seven rak’ahs sometimes and with nine rak’ahs sometimes. If we understand it in absolute terms, then we would have to pray Witr with five rak’ahs sometimes and with seven rak’ahs sometimes and with nine rak’ahs sometimes. But what is meant by the hadeeth is pray as you have seen me praying with regard to how to pray not how many rak’ahs, unless there is a text to state what the number is.

Whatever the case, a person should not be strict with people with regard to a matter that is broad in scope. We have even seen some brothers who are strict on this matter accusing the imams who pray more than eleven rak’ahs of following bid’ah, and they leave the mosque, thus missing out on the reward of which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever stands with the imam until he finishes (the prayer), the reward of qiyaam al-layl will be recorded for him.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 806; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 646). Some of them even sit down after completing ten rak’ahs, thus breaking up the rows of worshippers by sitting there, and sometimes they start talking and disturb the people who are praying.

We have no doubt that their intentions are good and they are doing their best to come to the right conclusion, but that does not mean that they are correct.

The other group does the opposite. They sternly denounce those who pray only eleven rak’ahs and say that they have gone against scholarly consensus. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever contradicts and opposes the Messenger (Muhammad) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers’ way, We shall keep him in the path he has chosen, and burn him in Hell — what an evil destination!”

[al-Nisa’ 4:115]

All the generations who came before you only knew the number as twenty-three rak’ahs, and they denounce anyone who says anything different.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/73-75

With regard to the evidence quoted by those who say that it is not permissible to do more than eight rak’ahs in Taraaweeh, they quote the hadeeth of Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, who asked ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “How did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pray during Ramadaan?” She said: “He did not pray more than eleven rak’ahs in Ramadaan or at other times. He would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray three. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, will you sleep before you pray Witr?’ He said, ‘O ‘Aa’ishah, my eyes sleep but my heart does not.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1909; Muslim, 738

They said: This hadeeth indicates that the Messenger of Allaah was consistent in his prayers at night in Ramadaan and at other times.

The scholars refuted this use of the hadeeth as evidence by saying that this is what the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, but the fact that he did something does not imply that it is obligatory.

The evidence that there is no set number for prayers at night – which include Taraaweeh – is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar according to which a man asked the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about prayer at night. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Prayers at night are to be offered two by two (two rak’ahs at a time). If any of you fears that the time of dawn is approaching then let him pray one rak’ah as Witr.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 846; Muslim, 749)

If we look at what the scholars of the prominent schools of thought said, you will clearly see that this matter is broad in scope and that there is nothing wrong with doing more than eleven rak’ahs.

Al-Sarkhasi, who is one of the imams of the Hanafi school, said:

It is twenty rak’ahs, apart from Witr, in our view.

Al-Mabsoot, 2/145

Ibn Qudaamah said:

The favoured view according to Abu ‘Abd-Allaah (i.e., Imam Ahmad, may Allaah have mercy on him), is that it is twenty rak’ahs. This was the view of al-Thawri, Abu Hanfeefah and al-Shaafa’i. Maalik said it is thirty-six.

Al-Mughni, 1/457

Al-Nawawi said:

Taraaweeh prayer is Sunnah according to scholarly consensus. Our view is that it is twenty rak’ahs with ten tasleems, and it is permissible to pray it individually or in congregation.

Al-Majmoo’, 4/31

These are the views of the four imams concerning the number of rak’ahs of Taraaweeh prayer. All of them said something more than eleven rak’ahs. Perhaps the reasons why they said something more than eleven rak’ahs include the following:

1- They thought that the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah did not mean that this was the specific number.

2- A greater number was narrated from many of the salaf.

See al-Mughni, 2/604; al-Majmoo’, 4/32

3- The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray eleven rak’ahs and make them very lengthy, so much so that it used to take him most of the night. Indeed, one night in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) led his companions in praying Taraaweeh, he did not end his prayer until just before dawn, and the Sahaabah feared that they would miss suhoor. The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) loved to pray behind the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and they did not feel that it was too long. The scholars thought that if the imam made the prayer so long, this would be too difficult for the members of the congregation and that might put them off. So they thought that the imam should make the recitation shorter and increase the number of rak’ahs.

The point is that the one who prays eleven rak’ahs in the manner narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is doing well and is following the Sunnah. Whoever makes the recitation shorter and increases the number of rak’ahs is also doing well. A person who does either of these two things is not to be denounced. Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

If a person prays Taraaweeh according to the madhhabs of Abu Haneefah, al-Shaafa’i and Ahmad, with twenty rak’ahs, or according to the madhhab of Maalik, with thirty-six rak’ahs, or with thirteen or eleven rak’ahs, he has done well, as Imam Ahmad said, because there is nothing to specify the number. So the greater or lesser number of rak’ahs depends on how long or short the qiyaam (standing in the prayer) is.

Al-Ikhtiyaaraat, p. 64

Al-Suyooti said:

What is narrated in the saheeh and hasan ahaadeeth is the command to observe night prayers during Ramadaan, which is encouraged without specifying a particular number. It is not proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed twenty rak’ahs of Taraaweeh, rather that he prayed at night, with an unspecified number of rak’ahs. Then he delayed it on the fourth night lest it become obligatory for them and they might not be able to do it. Ibn Hajar al-Haythami said: There is no saheeh report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed twenty rak’ahs of Taraaweeh. The narration which suggests that he “used to pray twenty rak’ahs” is extremely weak (da’eef).

Al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, 27/142-145

So you should not be surprised that people pray Taraaweeh as twenty rak’ahs. There have been generation after generation of those imams (who used to pray twenty rak’ahs), and all of them are good.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
http://www.islamqa.com/special/index...ite=184&ln=eng

doodlebug
09-22-2006, 11:48 PM
What is a taaraweeh?

Muhammad
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
:sl: doodlebug,

format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
What is a taaraweeh?
It's an extra night prayer performed during the nights of Ramadhaan. It's prayed straight after Isha, and occurs in all Mosques around the world. They even have live coverage on TV/internet from the holy Mosques in Makkah and Madinah. Much of the Qur'an is recited in these prayers, and many people try to complete the whole Qur'an over the period of the month.

UmmSqueakster
09-23-2006, 12:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl: doodlebug,
They even have live coverage on TV/internet from the holy Mosques in Makkah and Madinah.
:sl:

On the internet on some Saudi websites here.

And, recordings from past years as well :D Also can be found here.

mehnaz
09-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Assalamoalaikum,

JazakAllah khair for all the answers!!...

Walekumsalaam

ahamed_sharif
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Assalamu alaykum

Thanks for that informative reply Sister Dafodil (nafeesa)

For your post what I understand is that one group which says that there is no specific prayer in Ramadhan and say that 8 rakats can be prayed any night of the year.

Second group says that there is a separate prayer for Ramadhan which was started in single congregation at masjid-e-nabvi by Omar RA (before this, it was prayed individually or in small groups). This has continued till now in harmain. This is history of 20 rakat.

But this century the concept of 8 rakats has suddently apeared. This has no history before this century.

Now it is upto us to follow what was followed by our pious predecessors and try to research new things and practice it.

shukran

Muhammad
09-23-2006, 12:04 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by ahamed_sharif
But this century the concept of 8 rakats has suddently apeared. This has no history before this century.
Praying 8 rak'ahs and adding on the witr makes it eleven, so I think that is what the answer above is referring to.

Mohsin
09-23-2006, 12:27 PM
I always thought that the reason you have to read 20 is because 'Um,ar Bin khattab made one congregational prayer of traweeh for 20 ra'kah, and there was an ijmaa' of all the sahaabah, none of them disagreed, and if they came to a concensus, we have to follow what they say.

Daffodil
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
the prophet saw used to pray 11, and omar ra prayed 20, the prophet saw sed to follow his sunnah and the sunnah of the four kalifs, so there is no right or rong amound of praying, pray as many as u want.

sis doodle bug, taraweeh is basically tahajud salah, tahajud salah is the one u pray during the night but is only optional. tarweeh salah is prayed in ramadhan mainly after isha if ppl fear taht they wnt be able to get up during the night to pray it.

Musalmaan
10-14-2006, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
the prophet saw used to pray 11, and omar ra prayed 20, the prophet saw sed to follow his sunnah and the sunnah of the four kalifs, so there is no right or rong amound of praying, pray as many as u want.
This is total ignorance to say that "the prophet saw used to pray 11, and omar ra prayed 20",
If prophet Muhammad Sallalahu Alayhi wa sallam used to pray 11 rakaah of taraweeh in the month of ramadhan, then the companion of prophet Muhammad :arabic5:, the true lover and followers of sunnah, would have followed exactly this sunnah and it remain dominant in all the previous generation, especially the first three best generation. but it is very well-known truth and fact the practice of the pious predecessors from the era of Umar (Radiallâhu anhu) till about the middle of the third century in the main centres of learning such as Makkah, Madinah, Kufa, Basrah, Baghdad, Khurasân, etc. All the authentic books of the four mazhabs amongst others are unanimous on the practice of twenty raka´ât.
I pray Allah to make it beneficial for everybody in this forum:

Consider the following Report:

It has been reported on the authority of Abdullah ibn Abbas (radiallahu anhu):

"Verily, the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) in the month of Ramadan, used to perform 20 rak'ahs and the witr (afterwards) without congregation."

(This narration has been collected by Bayhaqi in al-Sunan al-Kubra (2/496),
Ibn Abi Shaiba in al-Musannaf (2/394), Ibn Adi in al-Kamil (1/2), Tabarani in
al-Kabeer (3/148), Ibn Manda in al-Muntakhab min al-fawaid (2/268),
Baghawi in Majmu as-Sahaba, Musnad Abd ibn Humaid and others.)

Ibn Shihâb narrated that Nabi (Sallallâhu alaihi wasallam) passed away and the people continued observing salât (tarâwîh) individually and this continued in the era of Abu Bakr (Radiallâhu anhu) and the early stages of the khilâfah of Umar (Radiallâhu anhu).

Abdur Rahmân Ibn Abdil Qârrî narrates that
he went out with Umar (Radiallâhu anhu) during one night of Ramadân to the musjid. The people were performing salât in different groups. Some people were praying alone or a person was performing salât with a small group behind him. Umar (Radiallâhu anhu) expressed his desire of gathering all the people behind one reciter (Qârî) and letting them perform salât in congregation. He felt this would be much better than people performing salât in different groups or individually. After he made a firm resolve to implement this desire of his, he gathered the people behind Ubayy Ibn Ka’b (Radiallâhu anhu).(Bukhari vol.1 pg.269)

The Sahâba (Radiallâhu anhum) have made consensus (Ijmâ) on the practice of twenty rakaât.(Mirqat vol.3 pg.194)

Had twenty raka!ât not been a sunnah, who was a greater enemy of bid’ah (innovation) than Umar (Radiallâhu anhu)? And if he had erred, the Sahaba (Radiallâhu anhum) would not have accepted it. They most certainly knew of a statement or action of Nabi (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) whether it has reached us with a correct chain of narrators or not. Imâm Abu Yusuf states that he asked Imâm Abu Hanifa about tarâwîh and the practice of Umar (Radiallâhu anhu). Imâm Abu Hanifa replied that tarâwîh is sunnat muakkadah (an emphasised sunnah) and Umar (Radiallâhu anhu) did not invent it himself nor was he an innovator. He initiated it due to a practice which he learnt from Nabi (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam). (Maraqil Falah pg.8)

Not any jurist or muhaddith has rejected twenty raka!ât of tarâwîh from the era of Umar till the era of the British Empire in India.

Lastly,

A hadîth of Nabî (Sallallâhu alaihi wasallam) wherein he said,

"Hold firmly on to my sunnah and the sunnah of the Khulafâ Râshidîn (the four rightly-guided caliphs)."(Abu Dawood vol2 pg 635, Tirmidhi vol.2 pg.108, Sunan Darimi vol.1 pg.43 and Ibn Majah pg.5)

This hadîth clearly indicates that the Muslim ummah should bring into practice the sayings and practices of the Khulafâ also.

Sheikh Badrudîn Aini (855 A.H.) writes in his commentary on Hidayah:

"There is no doubt that reward is obtained in following Abu Bakr and Umar (Radiallâhu anhumâ) and one will be punished if they are not followed because we have been commanded to obey them. Nabî (Sallallâhu alaihi wasallam) said, ‘Follow the two after me i.e. Abu Bakr and Umar’. Thus adopting their way is essential and to discard such a compulsion necessitates reproach and punishment."(Majmuatul Fataawa, vol.1 pg.215)

may Allah make it beneficial and guide us to the straight path.

:w:

cool_jannah
10-18-2006, 05:23 AM

sis doodle bug, taraweeh is basically tahajud salah, tahajud salah is the one u pray during the night but is only optional. tarweeh salah is prayed in ramadhan mainly after isha if ppl fear taht they wnt be able to get up during the night to pray it.
? ? ?
Praying 8 raka'a was never practiced for 1300 years...it is an innovation..kind of.. only few people pray 8 raka'a ..Allahu'alam where they got the fatwa from.

www.madania.org
HOW MANY RAKA'AT DID THE PROPHET (saw) PERFORM FOR SALAT AL-TARAWEEH DURING THE REMAINDER OF THE NIGHTS?
عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يصلي في رمضان عشرين ركعة والوتر - مصنف ابن أبى شيبة صـ394/2 باب كم يصلي في رمضان من ركعة و منتخب مسند عبد بن حميد ح653 و المعجم الأوسط ح802
Ibn Abbas (ra) narrated that the Prophet (saw) used to pray twenty raka'at followed by Witr in the month of Ramadan (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaibah, v2, p394; Muntakhab Musnad ‘Abd bin Humaid, h653; Al-Mua'jam Al-Ausat, h802)
عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنه أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يصلي في شهر رمضان في غير جماعة عشرين ركعة والوتر - سنن البيهقي ح12102

Furthermore, Ibn Abbas (ra) narrated that the Prophet (saw) used to pray twenty raka'at by himself followed by Witr (every night) in the month of Ramadan (Sunan Al-Baihaqi, h12102)
These ahadith clearly prove that although the Prophet (saw) did not continue to perform Salat Al-Taraweeh in congregation (due to the fear that it might become Fard on the Ummah), he regularly performed twenty raka'at of Salat Al-Taraweeh every night during the month of Ramadan. We find that the Sahabah (ra) also followed this practice in small congregations all the way until the reign of ‘Umar (ra).

CONSENSUS (IJMA') OF SAHABAH (ra) ON TWENTY RAKA'AT
During his reign, ‘Umar (ra) noticed as he went to the masjid in the month of Ramadan that people were performing Salat (Al-Taraweeh) in small congregations. He said to the Sahabah (ra), "Now that we do not have the fear that Salat Al-Taraweeh will become Fard on us, we can start performing it in congregation." He then asked Ubaiyy Ibn Ka'ab (ra) to lead Salat Al-Taraweeh with twenty raka'at followed by three for Witr.
The Sahabah (ra) welcomed ‘Umar's (ra) request as none of them objected to this move. From then on, they would perform twenty-three raka'at Salat Al-Taraweeh (including their Witr) every night in congregation. All of the Sahabah (ra) along with Uthman (ra), ‘Ali (ra), and the Ummahatul Mu'mineen ‘Aisha radhiallahu anha, Umm Salmah radhiallahu anha, and Safiyyah radhiallahu anha consented with ‘Umar (ra). They all used to perform these twenty-three raka'at every night, during the month of Ramadan, in the masjid of the Prophet (saw). This proves, without a doubt, that this is indeed the sunnah of the Prophet (saw); otherwise, the Sahabah (ra) would have objected.
وذكر في الاختيار أن أبا يوسف سأل أبا حنيفة عنها وما فعله عمر فقال التراويح سنة مؤكدة ولم يتخرجه عمر من تلقاء نفسه ولم يكن فيه مبتدعا ولم يأمر به إلا عن أصل لديه وعهد من رسول الله . - البحر الرائق ج: 2 ص: 71
It is mentioned in Al-Ikhtiar that Imam Abu Yusuf rahmatullahi alyah asked Imam Abu Hanifah rahmatullahi alyah, "What did Omar (ra) do?" He replied, "Taraweeh is Sunnah Mu'akkadah and Omar (ra) did not interpolate anything of his own desire, nor was he an innovator; he ordered that which was of the deen and which he had observed from the Blessed Prophet (saw).
It is narrated in Kanz Al-‘Ummal, a well-known book of hadith:
عن أبي بن كعب أن عمر بن الخطاب أمره أن يصلي بالليل في رمضان فصلى بهم عشرين ركعة - كنـز العمال ص284/2
Ubaiy bin Ka'ab (ra) narrated that Umar (ra) ordered him to lead Salat (Al-Taraweeh) during the nights of Ramadan; so, he led people (Sahabah and Tabi'een) in praying twenty raka'at (Kanz Al-‘Ummal, v2, p284)

عن السائب بن يزيد قال كنا نقوم في زمن عمر بن الخطاب بعشرين ركعة والوتر (سنن البيهقي ص296/1) - قال النووي إسناده صحيح شرح المهذب ص32/4 وصححه السبكي والسيوطي وعلي القاري
Al-Saaib bin Yazeed (ra) narrated that we used to offer twenty raka'at followed by Witr in the reign of ‘Umar (ra) (Sunan Al-Baihaqi, v1, p296, Imam Nawawi rahmatullahi alyah has confirmed this hadith to be authentic in his book Sharh Al-Muhazzab, v4, p32, and so have Imam Subki, Imam Suyuti, and Imam ‘Ali Qari rahmatullahi alyahum)
عن السائب بن يزيد قال كانوا يقومون على عهد عمر بن الخطاب في شهر رمضان بعشرين ركعة وفي عهد عثمان - سنن البيهقي ص496/2
Also, Al-Saaib bin Yazeed (ra) narrated that we used to offer twenty raka'at followed by Witr in the reign of ‘Umar (ra) and ‘Uthman (ra) (Sunan Al-Baihaqi, v2, p496)
Is it even remotely imaginable that all of the Sahabah (ra) including ‘Uthman (ra), ‘Ali (ra), and even the "Mothers of the Believers", ‘Aishah, Umm Salmah, and Safiyyah radhiallahu anhunna could have all participated in performing a bid‘ah? Na‘uzu Billah! If they did not object to ‘Umar (ra), how are we to object now 1400 years later and on what grounds?

Read more http://madania.org/english/articles/news.php?newsid=8

Musalmaan
10-26-2006, 05:07 AM
jazak Allah khairhi brother. very well presented.
Only those can understand in this world whom Allah wills to guide.

Daffodil
10-26-2006, 07:47 PM
if u bothered to read the fatwa i posted u will see the hadiths narrated by aisha ra relating to the number of rakah he prayed.

Musalmaan
10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
if u bothered to read the fatwa i posted u will see the hadiths narrated by aisha ra relating to the number of rakah he prayed.
the basic answer for your claim would not be to proof you difference of tahajjud and taraweeh salaah, but it is that you should bring trust and confidence in Sahabah Tabaien and Taba Tabaien who fore-most understood Quran and Sunnah of prophet Muhammad Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam than any later generation.

Nobody can never reach that level.

anyhow, try reading this.

http://www.jamiat.co.za/library/is_t...ah_20_raka.htm

inhsa'Allah, it helps to learn alot of other things too.
may Allah keep us on straight path.

Musalmaan
10-28-2006, 09:03 AM
also/or this

http://www.geocities.com/mutmainaa3/...awih_8_20.html

Daffodil
10-28-2006, 10:37 PM
i was talking about the number of rakah read in taraweeh as u sed praying 8 is an innovation. any ways im done debating this issue, u already have my dalil asalamulaikum

SirZubair
10-29-2006, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah
? ? ?
Praying 8 raka'a was never practiced for 1300 years...it is an innovation..kind of.. only few people pray 8 raka'a ..Allahu'alam where they got the fatwa from.
Al-Albani Unveiled

TARAWEEH PRAYER
8 OR 20 rakats?

by Ahmed ibn Muhammad
Visit :

h t t p : / / w w w . s u n n a h . o r g / f i q h / 8 o r 2 0 . h t m

Remove all the SPACES and you should be fine :)

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

Daffodil
10-29-2006, 01:01 PM
if ppl have a prblem with the 8 rakah issue then take it up with aisha ra as those hadith were nararted by her,

Muhammad
10-29-2006, 01:23 PM

We do not think that the Muslims should be so sensitive with regard to issues that are the matter of scholarly differences or make them the cause of division and fitnah among the Muslims.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, when speaking about the matter of one who prays ten rak’ahs with the imam, then sits down and waits for Witr and does not complete the Taraaweeh prayers with the imam:

It grieves us deeply that we find in the Muslim ummah a group which differs concerning matters in which differences of opinion are acceptable, and they take these differences as a means to cause division. Differences within the ummah existed at the time of the Sahaabah, yet they remained united. The youth in particular and to all those who are committed to Islam must remain united, because they have enemies who are laying in wait.

Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/225

Two groups have gone to extremes with regard to this matter. The first group denounced everyone who prays more than eleven rak’ahs and said that doing so was bid’ah. The second group denounced those who do only eleven rak’ahs and said that they are going against scholarly consensus (ijmaa’).
As the previously posted fatwa states, it does not matter whichever you do; simply follow whatever you think is most correct and leave it at that.

#12. This is not a Fiqh discussion board. Prolonged threads arguing over Fatwas and the details of Islamic law will be closed. Avoid asking questions that require a Scholar or Shaykh, as there is no one on the board qualified to answer your questions. Please use other knowledgeable means such as a scholar, Imam or knowledgeable person in your area or provide sources.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.