/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question for someone who knows egyptian arabic

Ann
09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Ok im still on my quest to learn modern standard arabic as well as egyptian arabic.. so someone pls tell me if these two things are correct

In egyptian arabic.. "tonight".. inaharda bilil ????
and ......"tell me".... ooleelee or is it ooleehee???

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yaso
09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Asalamu aalekum sis,
Ya, what u wrote was correct
Well done, keep the good job:D

back_to_faith
03-31-2007, 01:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ann
Ok im still on my quest to learn modern standard arabic as well as egyptian arabic.. so someone pls tell me if these two things are correct

Greetings,

Being Egyptian,so think better to answer you in details to help you learn something in Egyptian accent .

1- innaharda billil means (today at night) ....
2- tonight means (billil) it consists of two parts (bi) which means here (at)
and (lil) which means (night).

3- Tell me means (olly) for if you talk to a masculin ,and (oleely) if you talk to a female.

note: the double consonants i wrote means you should stress the consonant like (billil) you should put stress on L....

hope it helps

ژاله
04-01-2007, 05:29 PM
^jazakallah
brother isقاف pronounced as الف in egyptian arabic?
is egyptian arabic quite different from classical arabic?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
04-01-2007, 05:33 PM
:sl:

innaharda billil means (today at night) ....
and also, what would that bit in bold mean?

Is it from An-Nahaar?

.. and deh? meaning as in Haadhaa/ This?

back_to_faith
04-01-2007, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
^jazakallah
brother isقاف pronounced as الف in egyptian arabic?
is egyptian arabic quite different from classical arabic?

Yes sister It is right and this is one of the basic differences between Arabic-Egyptian accent and standard Arabic.

Actually it is said that the Egyptian accent is the softest accent of Arabic in the Arabic world and I agree totally with that...you ask why?
1-If we compare Egyptian accent with other accents we will find out that the Egyptian accent avoid the hard Arabic consonants which requires more efforts from the organs of speech than the other simple consonants!!! that is due to To be sure, Classical/Standard Arabic tends to be more conservative in its vocabulary and grammar, while Egyptian Arabic has been more open to influence by other languages, including Egyptian/Coptic (in the main), Greek, Turkish, Persian, Italian and French.

the following is from the wikipedia encyclopedia:

examples:
Egyptian/Coptic: ادي /ɪdi/ "give"
Italian: جمبري /gam'bari/ "shrimp" (IT gamberi)
Greek: برتقان /burtu'ʔaan/ "orange" (GK πορτοκαλί)
Turkish: أوضة /'ʔooḍɑ/ "room" (TK oda)
French: چیبة /'ʒiiba/ "skirt" (FR jupe)
English: يفاول - فاول /'faawil/ - /yi'faawil/ "to foul (in football)"

[edit] Vowels
The Egyptian Arabic vocalic system has changed relatively little from the Classical system:

4 short vowels: /a/, /i/, /u/ and /ɑ/

6 long vowels: /aː/, /iː/, /uː/, /ɑː/, /eː/ and /oː/ from the former Classical diphthongs */ai/ and */au/

Where Egyptian Arabic differs considerably is in vowel reduction due to changes in syllable shape. The distinction between short and long vowels is still phonemic, but only stressed vowels can remain long. Unstressed long vowels are shortened, and stressed short vowels lengthened.

Long vowels in closed syllables are reduced to their short version:

/ʔaːl/ "he said" + -/li/ "to me" (*/ʔaːlli/) > /ʔalli/ "he said to me"
Short vowels (especially /i/ and /u/), if unstressed in certain situations, are reduced to nothing (i.e. epenthesis):

/fiː/ "in" + /kiˈtaːb/ "a book" > /fi-ktaːb/ "in a book"
Both of these tendencies can work simultaneously:

/ˈsˁɑːħib/ (friend m.) + -/a/ "fem." (*/ˈsˁɑːħiba/) > /ˈsˁɑħbɑ/ (compare with Classical Arabic */sˁɑːħiba/)

[edit] Consonants
The Classical Arabic (CA) letter jīm ج (/dʒ/) denotes /g/ in most Lower Egyptian (i.e. northern) dialects, including the dominant Cairene dialect: e.g. /gabal/ for /dʒabal/ (mountain), /gamiːl/ for /dʒamiːl/ (beautiful), and so forth. To speakers of other varieties of Arabic, the pronunciation of this one sound is considered the quintessential marker of Egyptian Arabic. However, this pronuncation also occurs in certain varieties of Yemeni Arabic, namely the Yafi'i and Adeni dialects. The sound is also attested in ancient Egyptian and is thought to have been the original proto-Semitic pronunciation of the sound - e.g. corresponding to the letter gimel in Hebrew and Aramaic. Some therefore consider the sound in Egyptian Arabic to be a direct retention from ancient Egyptian or proto-Semitic, or it may be a secondary development from a palatal or palatalized /g/ ([ɟ] or [gʲ]), which is the Sa'idi pronunciation of the consonant south of Cairo in the Sa'id, or Upper Egypt.
The letter qāf ق (CA /q/ denotes a glottal stop /ʔ/ in Cairo and the eastern Delta. However, it denotes /q/ in the western Delta outside of Alexandria, and /g/ in Upper Egypt (the Sa'id), i.e. the consonant /g/ is represented by two separate original Arabic letters in Cairene and Sa'idi Arabic.
The letter θāʔ ث (CA /θ/) denotes either /t/ in ordinary words (e.g. tāni "second") or /s/ in classicisms (e.g. sanawiyya "secondary (school)")
The letter ðāl ذ (CA /ð/) denotes /d/ in ordinary words (e.g. danab "tail") or /z/ in classicisms (e.g. /ʔizaːʕa/ "broadcasting")
The letter ð̣āʔ ظ (CA emphatic /ðˤ/) denotes /dˤ/ in ordinary words (e.g. ḍuhr "noon" ) or /zˤ/ in classicisms (e.g. ẓāhira "phenomenon")
Egyptian Arabic maintains in all positions the early post-Classical distinctions between short /i/ and /u/ which become ktāb, jmāl, and xtār in several other dialects.:
kitāb "book"
gumāl "beautiful" (pl.) versus gimāl "camels"
ʔixtār "he chose", which is actually a contextual realization and the i may not phonemically be part of the word.

Negation
One characteristic of Egyptian syntax in which it differs from many other Arabic dialects is in the double negation of verbs: /ma-...-ʃ(i)/

Past: /katab/ "he wrote" /ma-katab-ʃ(i)/ "he didn't write"
Present: /ji-ktib/ "he writes" /ma-ji-ktib-ʃ(i)/ "he doesn't write"
This double negation is similar to French.

(Exception: Future: /ħa-ji-ktib/ "he will write" /miʃ ħa-ji-ktib/ "he won't write")

The double negation surrounds the entire verbal composite including direct and indirect objects:

/ma-katab-hum-liː-ʃ/ "'he didn't write them to me"

Characteristic words and sentences in Egyptian Arabicإزيك - ʔizzayyak? ("How are you [m.]")
إزيك - ʔizzayyik? ("How are you [f.]")
إزيكو - ʔizzayyuku? ("How are you [pl.]")
إيه ده - ʔeeh da? ("What's all this?", "What's the point", "What's this?" - expression of annoyance)
Ex.: (ʔinta) bitʔulluhum ʕalayya kida leeh, ʔeeh da? "Why are you telling them such things about me, what's all this?"
خلاص - xɑlɑɑṣ: several meanings, often adverbial
"Stop it!" Ex.: zihiʔt, xɑlɑɑṣ! "I'm annoyed, stop it!"
"It's over!", "finally, eventually" Ex.: ʔummi kaanit ʕayyaana wi-maatit, xɑlɑɑṣ. "My mother was ill and died finally." [or "...and it's over now."]
"Ok, then!" Ex.: "خلاص، أشوفك بكرة" "xɑlɑɑṣ, ʔaʃuufak bukrɑ" meaning "I'll see you tomorrow then"
خالص - xɑɑliṣ "at all"
maʕandinaʃ ħaaga nakulha xɑɑliṣ "We have nothing at all to eat."
كفاية - kifaaya! ("It's enough!" or "That's enough")
يعني - yaʕni ("that's to say" or "meaning" or "y'know")
As answer to إنت عامل إيه؟ ʔinta ʕaamil ʔeeh? ("How do you do [m.]?") (as an answer: "I am so so" or "half half" = "not perfect"): يعني إيه؟ yaʕni ʔeeh? ("What does that mean?")
إمتى هتخلص يعني؟** ʔimta hatxɑllɑṣ yaʕni? ("When are you finishing exactly, then?)
بقى - baʔa (particle of enforcement --> "just" in imperative clauses and "well,...then?" in questions)
.هاته بقى haatu baʔa! "Just give it to me!"
عمل إيه بقى؟ ʕamal ʔeeh baʔa? "Well, what did he do then?"

Hope it helps and I can give you more and more things regarding Arabic Egyptian If you like.

Peace

back_to_faith
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

and also, what would that bit in bold mean?

Is it from An-Nahaar?

.. and deh? meaning as in Haadhaa/ This?

Greetings:
You are right sister,
(innaharda billeil ) is 4 parts phrase !!!

1-Innahar means (the day) opposite of (Elleil) which means (the night).

2-(Da) means (this or that), It is the short,simple form of the original Arabic classical word (Haza) which means (this).

3- (billeil) has two parts: 1- (bi) which means lots of meaning in Egyptian accent among them (with,to have,at) here (bi) means AT. the other part is (leil) means evening. and (leila) means one night.

ژاله
04-02-2007, 06:48 AM
Jazakallah brother very informative,
well i heard a word from egyptian arabic"isma3een ya 3ad/t"or something like this(dunno whether i m writing it properly or not)
plz tell me what does the 2nd part of the sentence mean?
:w:

back_to_faith
04-02-2007, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
Jazakallah brother very informative,
well i heard a word from egyptian arabic"isma3een ya 3ad/t"or something like this(dunno whether i m writing it properly or not)
plz tell me what does the 2nd part of the sentence mean?

Greetings,
To guess the 2nd part of it we should know what is the 1st part means exactly:

1- isma3een is a name of a male ,it means (ismail) in standard arabic but in Egyptian accent it is isma3een, the reason for changing the L with N ,is the nature of the Egyptian soft accent,
because (اسماعين) is easier for the organs of speech than (اسماعيل) you ask why?

because the the last vowel in the word(ee) is followed by N (noon) and both of them close together in the mouth point of utterance while the standard Arabic (اسماعيل) the last vowel (ee) is followed by L which is not as close as the N inside the mouth and you need to press the tip of the tongue against the front of the roof of the mouth in order to produce L ,and that means much effort for the organs of speech.....
this interesting point ,you will find usually when you compare standard Arabic and Egyptian accent ......

2-ya 3ad/t is hard to know what exactly means it could be:

ye3di يعدى
(pass)
yasen ياسين
(name)

Did you hear it from TV or from real Egyptians?

peace

amirah_87
04-02-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by back_to_faith
Greetings:
You are right sister,
(innaharda billeil ) is 4 parts phrase !!!

1-Innahar means (the day) opposite of (Elleil) which means (the night).

2-(Da) means (this or that), It is the short,simple form of the original Arabic classical word (Haza) which means (this).

3- (billeil) has two parts: 1- (bi) which means lots of meaning in Egyptian accent among them (with,to have,at) here (bi) means AT. the other part is (leil) means evening. and (leila) means one night.

Thanx for clearing that up.

Allah Yubaarik feek.

Skywalker
04-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Eshta! An Egyptian Arabic thread!! :D

I've been living in Egypt for about 9 years now, but I still have trouble with a lot of words because I mostly talk English with my friends...
I know people who have lived here for only a year or so and know better Arabic than me :(

Anyways, there are some things that pop up in my head once in a while that get me confused and I always forget to ask people what they mean or how to say certain things, so I was hoping you guys can help me out with that.

My question for today is:

What is the difference between kallem and ekkallem? I've heard both of these given as commands, but I'm not sure which one is right or if both of them are right but in different situations.

Secondly, what's difference the between aabil (to meet) and etaabil?

I have a lot more questions where those came from...

Jazaakum Allah khayran

back_to_faith
04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skywalker

Eshta! An Egyptian Arabic thread!! :D

I've been living in Egypt for about 9 years now, but I still have trouble with a lot of words because I mostly talk English with my friends...
I know people who have lived here for only a year or so and know better Arabic than me :(

Anyways, there are some things that pop up in my head once in a while that get me confused and I always forget to ask people what they mean or how to say certain things, so I was hoping you guys can help me out with that.

My question for today is:

What is the difference between kallem and ekkallem? I've heard both of these given as commands, but I'm not sure which one is right or if both of them are right but in different situations.

Secondly, what's difference the between aabil (to meet) and etaabil?

I have a lot more questions where those came from...

Jazaakum Allah khayran

Greetings,

Skywalker

Nice to read your post

kallem
means (talk to) which usually followed by (name or prounoun)

example:
kallem akhook (talk to your brother) kallem el ragel (talk to the man)
kallemoh (talk to him) ,kallemha(talk to her),kallemhom (talk to them), Ahmed kallemak(ahmed talked to you).

ekkallem or sometimes(etkallem) means: (talk) a command usually followed by nothing.... when you hear someone tell you (ekallem) means just (talk, or tell him anything).
sometimes we the command (ekkallem) in a rough situation when someone doesn't want to respond to you and you shout at him ekkallem (talk to me,let me hear ya....)
other situation ,when you home and someone responded to the phone not you and someone wants to talk to you on phone ,so the person who responded will give you the phone and tell you (khod ekallem) means (take the phone to talk to someone)

in sum ,the most case for the use of ekallem is a command from someone feels that you hide something and don't want to tell so he urges you to talk.... either in the form of encouragment or in angry way.

2-

(aabil)
is the past of (yeaabel) which means (to meet)

you can see the difference if you read the following:

(Mohamed aabil Ahmed) .

means Mohamed met Ahmed

(Mohamed etaabil maa Ahmed )

means Mohamed had a meeting with Ahmed.

they both similar meaning
you can use any ,and both right.

but
aabel should be followed by name or pronuon ,etaabil can never be followed by name or pronoun.

for example:

Ali aabil abooh (Ali met his father).
Ali abloh (Ali met him).
Ali abilha (Ali met her)
Ali abbilhom (Ali met them)
Ali ablak (Ali met you)
Ali aabelkom (Ali met you (plural))

some useful phrases for aabil:

awez aabloh (I want to meet him).

awez aablak (I want to meet you)

aablak fen? (Where can I meet you?)

abelto embareh.(I met him yesterday)

abelto elnahardah (i met him today)

haabolh bokra (I will meet him tomorrow)

haablak = (aablak) bokra (I will meet you tomorrow)

etaabil

usually used as follows:

Ali etaabil maa Ahmed. (Ali met Ahmed)

El gammah etablo ma Ahmed (the group of people met Ahmed).

netaabil ezay? (How can we meet?)

fe essekka yetablo (on their way they gonna meet)

netaabi bokra(we will meet each others tomorrow)

the last 2 examples are oftenly used in discussion.

Hope I helped

Allah yekhaleek

salam

Skywalker
04-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Mashaa Allah, jazaak Allah khayran bro. That helped a lot. :) Now there's a less chance of people thinking that I'm a khawaaga when they meet me insha-Allah ;)

Ok I have another couple of questions if u don't mind:

1) How do you say "her (female) friends"? For example, my sister's friends.
Is it as7aab ukhti or as7aabha -- this sounds like men. What's the right way of saying it?

2) Just a little follow-up on the "kallem" "etkallem" issue, how would you say, "he called this morning?" Is it "howa kallem el sob7", or "howa etkallem el sob7"?

3) Lastly, I have a LOT of trouble with masculine and feminine nouns. In english it's just "it", but in Arabic, everything is a "he" or a "she". So here are a few that I always get confused with:
-my stomach (batni) -- is it beyoug3ani, or betoug3ani?
-what about wag3a itself (pain) is it m/f?
-waraa (paper) some say haat el waraa da, and some say haat el waraa di. Which one is it?

Jazaak Allah khayr bro

back_to_faith
04-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Mashaa Allah, jazaak Allah khayran bro. That helped a lot. :) Now there's a less chance of people thinking that I'm a khawaaga when they meet me insha-Allah ;)

Ok I have another couple of questions if u don't mind:

1) How do you say "her (female) friends"? For example, my sister's friends.
Is it as7aab ukhti or as7aabha -- this sounds like men. What's the right way of saying it?

2) Just a little follow-up on the "kallem" "etkallem" issue, how would you say, "he called this morning?" Is it "howa kallem el sob7", or "howa etkallem el sob7"?

3) Lastly, I have a LOT of trouble with masculine and feminine nouns. In english it's just "it", but in Arabic, everything is a "he" or a "she". So here are a few that I always get confused with:
-my stomach (batni) -- is it beyoug3ani, or betoug3ani?
-what about wag3a itself (pain) is it m/f?
-waraa (paper) some say haat el waraa da, and some say haat el waraa di. Which one is it?

Jazaak Allah khayr bro

Salamoalikom

1-as7aabha means (her friends)

sahebha means (her friend(a masculine one)

sahbetha means (her friend (a female one)

2-"he called this morning? means "howa etkallem el sob7" and not howa kallem el sob7

why?

because (kallem) followed usually by (object) pronoun or noun

and oftenly by pronoun

example: kallemoh,kallemha,kallemhom

notice:

another thing came to my mind is to show a difference between :

(kallemoh) and (kallemtoh)

kallemoh means (he talked to him)
and is used if we talk about (he) who is not usually present.

(kallemtoh) means either:

1- I talked to him

example: (kallemt Ali)Did you talk to Ali?
(Ah kallemto) yes, I talked to him.

or
2-Did you talk to him?

example:
(Kallemtoh walla lessah)Have you talked to him or not yet?

ah kallemtoh. yes, I talked to him.

the following is the rule of the object pronouns with the verbs:

subject object

I me

ana ni or yah

examples:

(ana) as a subject:

I went to school

Ana roht elmadrasa

(ana) as object turns to ni which usually attached to the end of the verb:

Ahmed Kallemni embareh.(Ahmed talked to me yesterday)
you see that kallem (the verb) together with (ni) the object of (ana).

other examples:

Ahmed aabelni felbeit (ahmed met me at home).
ahmed erefni lamma shafni (Ahmed recognized me when he saw me)
Ahmed zarni embareh (Ahmed visited me yesterday)
Ahmed arafni geddan. (Ahmed made me so upset)
Ahmed gabli hedyah gameela.(Ahmed brought me a beautiful present)
Ahmed ghaddani ghadwa tamaam (Ahmed served me a good lunch)
Ahmed saaedni fi mehnety (Ahmed helped me in my bad trouble)
Ahmed darabni berregl we geri (Ahmed hit me with his foot and ran away)
Ahmed amelni ahsan moamlah (Ahmed treated me the best treatment)

but there some other exceptions depends on the kind of the verb

for example:

Ahmed leib maayah (Ahmed played with me)

Ahmed zaker maayah (Ahmed studied with me)

Ahmed safer maayah (Ahmed travelled with me)

taala maayah (come with me)

3) actually most the languages all over the world have 2 genders ,and you are lucky not to study German or Dutch which have 3 genders !!!!:D

my stomach (batni) -- is it beyoug3ani, or betoug3ani?

both are two right existed accents
1-betoug3ani is the common usuall accent to hear especially in north Egypt,cairo etc....
2-beyoug3ani is southern accent and may be some people in north use it,,,anyway it is rare and usually you hear betoug3ani.....

betoug3ani is grammatical correct because (Batn) means (abdomen or stomach) is a feminin noun in Egypt.

one nice rule i noticed in lots of female nouns is that the names which have the meaning of something is used to keep something in or put something in, or to rest in etc usually feminin nouns..

for example:

ezazah (bottle)

tallagah (fridge)

oodah (room)

elbah (packet)

hallah (pan for cooking)

shantah (a bag)

gazmah (shoes)

shasha (monitor)

and other feminin nouns etc...

Take care

barak Allah feek

Skywalker
04-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Whoa! Very cool bro... you should be an Arabic teacher if ur not one already.

Again, that helped a great deal and I'm very thankful :)

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I know I still have A LOT of questions, so I'm sure it won't be long until something else pops up in my mind.

Oh yeah, here's one...why do they call Egypt MASR? lol

Skywalker
04-22-2007, 05:58 PM
I just remembered one:

"You (female) tell her." I personally have no idea how to say this. Uleelha? That doesn't sound right...

back_to_faith
04-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I just remembered one:

"You (female) tell her." I personally have no idea how to say this. Uleelha? That doesn't sound right...

Salam alaikom

Mesr or (Masr) means in standard Arabic :(The place where you find the requirments for a living water,agriculture etc...)

so Egypt as a whole called Mesr ,,and Cairo due to the huge amount of population(about 20 Millions) sometimes people call it (Masr) not Alkahera.
because they consider it as a country itself!!!

you are right

"You (female) tell her) means

(olelha)

"You (male) tell her) means

(ollaha)

You (female) tell him) means

(oleelo)

"You (male) tell him) means

(ollo)

you will understand better such forms when I post you grammatical rules....

but don't you see how simple the Egyptian accent?

You (male) tell him (a phrase)
is uttered in one word (ollo):D

barak Allah feek

mohammed essa
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
salam alikom
1st i want to say thax for this interesting topic
I am an egyptian guy and it is good to read that about our arabic dialect and other people who are interesting in learning it

and i can help you if you are confused in any thing

2nd and i want to thx my brother ( back_to_faith ) for this effort and for his explanations it was really great and i want to ask him how did you learn the egyptian dialect ?

finally anout the question of my bro skywalker why egypt is called masr ?
you should say why msar is called egypt ? as it was masr before it to be egypt haha
masr is its name in the arabic lang. but egypt is its name in english
really i dont know but
when a foreign person visits egypt the egyptian people ask him EGYPT ?
so we find that egypt can be classified in to
E+gypt ايه +جبت
ايه what
جبت brought
which means what did you bring with you to us from out side from gifts and presents ?

haha just for fun
thx again and salam

Hemoo
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
nice thread

موضوع جميل

back_to_faith
04-25-2007, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed essa
salam alikom
2nd and i want to thx my brother ( back_to_faith ) for this effort and for his explanations it was really great and i want to ask him how did you learn the egyptian dialect ?

when a foreign person visits egypt the egyptian people ask him EGYPT ?
so we find that egypt can be classified in to
E+gypt ايه +جبت
ايه what
جبت brought
which means what did you bring with you to us from out side from gifts and presents ?

haha just for fun
thx again and salam

Salam,

I'm originally from Egypt,and studied high course in standard Arabic as well...

Thank you for your funny post...:D

Skywalker
04-25-2007, 06:46 PM

eih jebt? lol! hahaha good one! But yeah I know that it was originally Misr, but I don't know why they call it Masr... I guess it just evolved that way.

Anyways, another thanks to bro back-in-faith for the lesson! May Allah reward you ya akhi.

I can't think of anything right now, but as usual, I'll think of something soon enough insha-Allah.

BTW, did anybody catch the Ahly vs. Barcelona match? It was a disaster...

Mawaddah
04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
:lol: I find that eih jibt idea so funny! I've never even thought of it that way before....how creative...perhaps it's true? lol

back_to_faith
04-25-2007, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
:lol: I find that eih jibt idea so funny! I've never even thought of it that way before....how creative...perhaps it's true? lol
Greetings

We can have a clue regarding the name Egypt if we read what the wikipedia says:

One of the ancient Egyptian names of the country, km.t, or "black land", is derived from the fertile black soils deposited by the Nile floods, distinct from the 'red land' (dSr.t) of the desert. The name is realized as kīmi and kīmə in the Coptic stage of the Egyptian language, and appeared in early Greek as Kymeía.

Miṣr, the Arabic and official name for modern Egypt (Egyptian Arabic: Maṣr), is of Semitic origin directly cognate with the Hebrew מִצְרַיִם (Mitzráyim), meaning "the two straits" (a reference to the dynastic separation of upper and lower Egypt), and possibly means "a country" or "a state".[5] Miṣr in Arabic also means "a country" or "a state" or "frontier-land".

The English name "Egypt" came via the Latin word Aegyptus derived from the ancient Greek word Αίγυπτος (Aigyptos). The term was adopted into Coptic as gyptios, and from there into Arabic as qubt (whence again English Copt). It has been suggested that the word is a corruption of the ancient Egyptian phrase ḥwt-k3-ptḥ meaning "home of the Ka (Soul) of Ptah", the name of a temple of the god Ptah at Memphis. According to Strabo, Αίγυπτος (Aigyptos), in ancient Greek meant "below the Aegean" (Aἰγαίου ὑπτίως, Aegaeon uptiōs").

peace to you

mohammed essa
04-27-2007, 07:40 AM

BTW, did anybody catch the Ahly vs. Barcelona match? It was a disaster...
you shouldnt remind me about that :enough!:
ya i watched it and i wished not to watch it lol
it was the centenary celebration of establishing el-ahly club
al-ahly is the champion of Africa

but after watching the match i will not say anything :omg: :X

lol whats your review about the match

Skywalker
04-27-2007, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed essa
lol whats your review about the match
The first thing I thought was "how did these guys beat Real Madrid???" It was obvious from the start that it was a match between a bunch of amateurs and a team of real professionals. It would've been nice if Barcelona was playing for real -- they weren't. They were just playing around with them. The first goal was a header, the second was by a 16 year old KID who had his mom and dad come with him to the match, and the last goal was at the end of the stoppage time!! It's the worst combination possible. LOL!

I hope they learned their lesson though.

north_malaysian
04-30-2007, 08:15 AM
I know that this is "UnIslamic" question, but why Egyptian pop songs always use the term "habibey" (my male lover) to address the lover regardless whether the singer is male or female. :?

mohammed essa
04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I know that this is "UnIslamic" question, but why Egyptian pop songs always use the term "habibey" (my male lover) to address the lover regardless whether the singer is male or female. :?

thx my bro. for ur question and i can answer you
a male singer should say habibty rather than habibey as an arabic lang. but
in the real life here in egypt u can hear that the man says to his wife habibey or a boy to say to his girlfriend enta hayaty rather than enty hayaty (you are my life ) so it is a usual here in egypt and the nature of the egyptians

but this formula you can hear or see and USE it commonly in case of FLIRTATION and LOVE ONLY
you cant use it with a woman in your work or a colleague

hope u are not confused :statisfie

Skywalker
04-30-2007, 06:29 PM
I had a big probem with that when I first came here. For a while I thought that Amr Diab was a homosexual, which didn't make sense to me because of what I used to see in his videos. But someone set me straight rather quickly... lol

north_malaysian
05-03-2007, 06:41 AM
I had a big probem with that when I first came here. For a while I thought that Amr Diab was a homosexual, which didn't make sense to me because of what I used to see in his videos. But someone set me straight rather quickly... lol
The first Amr Diab's vid clip I've watched was "Nour El Ain" .... lots of "Habibey" in it. :okay:

Skywalker
05-12-2007, 09:12 PM
:sl: Where is everybody?

Anyways, one sentence just came up:

"My sister has a (female) friend."

How would I say this?

mohammed essa
05-13-2007, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ann

salam my sis.

ok i can help u
the 1st is right it is inaharda bilil
and the second is ooleelee but if u are talking to a female
if u r talking with male it will be olli

and about ooleehee it doesnt exist in the egyptian dialect

mohammed essa
05-13-2007, 07:32 AM
:sl: Where is everybody?

Anyways, one sentence just came up:

"My sister has a (female) friend."

How would I say this?

ok with egyptian it will be
أختى عندها صديقة
okhti a'andaha sadeka

u can ask for more :)

Skywalker
05-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Isn't "sadeeqa" kind of formal? Is there a more casual phrase?

Like "My sister has a (female) friend who goes to school."

How would you say that?

mohammed essa
05-13-2007, 11:32 AM
ok if you want to say
my sister's friend (female) goes to school by egyptian so u can say
صاحبة اختى بتروح المدرسة
sahbet okhti betrooh el-madrasa
if u want to say it formally u can say
صديقة اختى تذهب الى المدرسة
sadekat okhti tazhab ela el-madrasa

and also u can say
زميلة instead of صاحبة
which means colleague = zamela

is it clear now ???

Skywalker
05-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I guess, but how do you say "female friend" casually? Sadeeqa is formal...is there such thing as sahba??? I never heard it...

mohammed essa
05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
yes in the egyptian arabic we use saheb instead of sadeek

for male
formal محمد صديقى mohamed sadeky
egyptian محمد صاحبى mohamed sahby
for female
formal فاطمة صديقتى fatema sadekaty
egyptian فاطمة صاحبتى fatema sahbety

what else ?? :)

north_malaysian
05-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Is "Ma3alesh" stands for "Ma 3alayka Syai'in" ?

mohammed essa
05-14-2007, 07:04 AM
sorry i cant understand ur question

what do u mean by Syai'in" ? my brother

Skywalker
05-14-2007, 07:47 AM
yes in the egyptian arabic we use saheb instead of sadeek

for male
formal محمد صديقى mohamed sadeky
egyptian محمد صاحبى mohamed sahby
for female
formal فاطمة صديقتى fatema sadekaty
egyptian فاطمة صاحبتى fatema sahbety

what else ??
Ok, for a male it's saheb (صاحب), but what about female friend?

Also, ma3lesh is like "I feel sorry for you because of that", or just "sorry".

mohammed essa
05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
yes for male it will be saheb or as u did sa7eb
and for female it will be sahba sa7ba
and to say my female friend it will be sahbety
and my male friend it will be sahby

is it clear ??

and for ma3lesh ya i know it
but i dont know what does he mean by
Syai'in" ?
i cant even read it
and thx

back_to_faith
05-14-2007, 09:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Is "Ma3alesh" stands for "Ma 3alayka Syai'in" ?

Salam

amazing question !!!!

actually "Ma3alesh" could stand for "Ma 3alayka She'A" or Ma 3alaya She'A"

ماعلى شئ
ماعليك شئ
"Ma 3alayka She'A" here means (there is nothing against you,to be blamed for)

Ma 3alaya She'A means (there is nothing against me to be blamed)

It is always used to mean I feel(sorry,sad) for soething wrong I did or someone else did something bad for someone ,and I try to ease him with

"Ma3alesh"

Skywalker
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
and for female it will be sahba sa7ba
That's what I was looking for! Jazaak Allah khayran.

actually "Ma3alesh" could stand for "Ma 3alayka She'A" or Ma 3alaya She'A
LOL, now I get it! I too was confused by "ma 3alayka say3aeen"...which translates to "there are no punks on you!" lol! Ma 3alayka shei makes perfect sense...

Skywalker
05-25-2007, 08:22 AM

Where is everybody?

Q: Eih 3aks zamaan?
A: Zawoman

Haha, my little sister told me that one!

Q: Eih 3aks talmizaat? (female students)
A: Don't talmizaat.

lol!

Salaam!

Mawaddah
05-25-2007, 11:49 AM

Where is everybody?

lol!

Salaam!

:lol: That's just brilliant!!

I've got to tell that to my friends ;D

back_to_faith
05-27-2007, 04:18 PM

Where is everybody?

lol!

Salaam!

:D :D :D :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Next post I will post some grammatical rules in Arabic ,Egyptian accent inshaAllah

back_to_faith
05-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Arabic Egyptian Grammar

1-Definite , Indefinite Article

Just as standard Arabic ,there is no Indefinite Article

Definite Article

(El) (ال )
is the difinite article ,both the (E) and (L) sometimes pronounced and sometimes not ... examples:

Fen Mehammad? فين محمد؟ (Where is Mohammed?)
Felmadrasa. فيلمدرسه (In the school)
notice : Fi (in) El (the) Madrasa(school) فى المدرسه

as the word (fi) ends with a vowel and (El) begins with a vowel ,so one is used for both (e) ,Fel = fiel...

another example:
Fen ettaba? (where is the plate,dish?)
originally :fen el taba ? the (L)of (El) is skipped
attarabeza (on the table) عتارابيزه
originally: Ala el tarabeza!! على الترابيزه

sometimes the (El) pronounced
but in lesser cases than the (El) not fully pronounced
Fen elalam? (Where is the pen?) فين الالم
other words:

ad A el masafah?(How long is the distance?)اد ايه المسافه؟
meen elly faaz belgaayzah?(Who won the prize?)مين اللى فاز بالجايزه؟
originally :Meen(who) el(the) lazy(that person) faaz(won) be(with) el(the) gaayzah(prize)?

A elmawdoo? (what is the matter,subject?)ايه الموضوع؟
originally :Eh el mawdoo?
to sum up :
the (L) in (El) is skipped and not pronounced in most cases,and sometimes the (E) is not pronounced too ,in the middle of sentences.

to be continued

back_to_faith
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Pronouns

1-possessive pronouns

Just as Standard Arabic

to add letter(s) to the end of the noun to make the possessive form

1-

I My
Ana (I)

to add (I) to the noun

Book (ketaab) my book (ketaabi)

2-

He his

Howwa (oh)

His book (ketaboh)

3-

She her

heyya (ha)

her book (ketabha)

4-

you your

Enta (ak)

your book (ketaabak)

5-

we our

Ehna (na)

our book (ketabna)

6-

they their

Homma (hom)

their book (ketabhom)

7-

It (oh) or (ha) depends on the gender (male or female)

because there is no pronoun (It) in Arabic ...everything is either male or female ....

object pronouns

1-
to change the subject pronoun (I) to object ,just add (ni) to the verb

example:

Ahmed visited me. Ahmed zar(ni).

the (ni) is added to the verb , Zar (visited).

other examples:

abelni (met me) past tense

yeabelni (will meet me) future tense

fakkarni (he reminded me) past tense

yesaedni (will help me ) future tense

2- He

add (oh) to the verb
examples:

Ahmed visited him. Ahmad zar(oh).

abloh (met him)

yeabloh (will meet him)

fakkaroh (he reminded him)

yesadoh (is,will helping him)

3-she

add (ha) to the verb

Ahmed visited her. Ahmed zarha.

abelha (met her)

yeabelah (will mett her)

fakkarha (reminded her)

yesaedha (will help her)

4- you

ad (ak) to the verb

Ahmed visited you. Ahmed zarak

ablak (met you)

fakkarak (reminded you)

yeablak (will meet you)

yesadak (wil help you)

5- We

ad (na) to the verb

Ahmed visited us. Ahmed zarna

fakkarna (reminded us)

yefakkarna (will remind us)

yeabelna (will meet us)

yesaedna (will help us)

6-They

add (hom) to the verb

Ahmed visited them. Ahmed zarhom

fakkarhom (reminded them)

yefakkarhom (will remind them)

yeabelhom (will meet them)

yesaedhom (will help them)

To be continued

peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.