/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

robyn
09-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi everyone,

firstly thank you for letting me join the forum! I am an Australian Aboriginal woman from NSW I am also a Mother, Teacher, writer, Wife, Friend and many other things depending on an individuals need.

I live my culture daily and also teach it to those who wish to learn, when doing this all I ask is that those wanting to learn do so with an open mind and be respectful and accept the differences between us. So if anyone has any questions please asked, I'll try to answer as best I can.

I have been called Elder by some, a title that has a fair amount of meaning and also brings with it a certain amount of responsibility, so I don't take this lightly.

I work with people from many cultures and have brought my children up to acknowledge the differences between cultures and also to be respectful of them.

I will sit back for a bit and read posts, so I can get a feel for everyone, I don't want to intrude or push myself or my views, as I feel this would be inappropriate and down right rude.

Robyn

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend2
09-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Salaam and greetings,

Welcome to LI robyn, hope you will benefit from this site inshAllah!

Wassalam :peace:

Kittygyal
09-27-2006, 03:56 PM
salam && hi.

welcome have fun && stay active inshallah, if you have any questiones then feel free to ask :)

w.salam

The Ruler
09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
hiya :D:D:D:D:D:D

:welcome: hope u v a gr8 tym :D:D:D:D:D

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maimunah
09-27-2006, 05:38 PM
salaam n welcome to the forums
hope u have a beneficial stay
wasalaam:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the forums.
God willing, your stay will be very beneficial.
Peace :)

Curaezipirid
09-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Alaikumassalam robyn!

I am a Rebekah and also Australian and an Aborigine. But I am not often enabled to express my Aboriginality outside of Muslim contexts because of being one of the supposedly "hidden generation". Hidden not by any other cause except that of the invaders. I am glad to see you in this forum. I am from Armidale NSW. But I have only been called an elder twice and in both contexts there were persons I could not trust the motives of involved, so I have never stepped up into that role. I guess us hiddenies might just have to stay hidden a little longer in new south after reading today's Koori Mail.

However, regardless of my own status in the Aboriginal community, I wish you a heart felt welcome into the world of modern Islam and Islamic enquiry. My experience is that other Muslims very highly value Australian Aborigines scientific knowledge of flora and fauna as an emminent contribution to the worth of Humanity in Allah.

It is good to plod slowly through the various Muslim internet forums, and gradually get the flavour an ettiquette in each one. This one is usually my favourite.

Often there are Arabic words in use that can be frustrating until you find out what they mean, and then it makes total sense why an Arabic speaker can not translate such.

For example: The Ummah is similar to the use of the anthropological English term that Aborigines have adopted of "Kinship"; but it also translates simply as Unity in Allah. I learned a new word this evening meaning the men that a woman may not marry; but I can't yet recall it well.

It is actually usually a bit of hard work to get the Arabic words. But there is one that you might like to learn about: Taqleed; since it fits well with a very specific Aboriginal comprehension that has no English equivalence.

It could be good if you are able to participate in the thread I opened about the beliefs of Aboriginal Australians. I would be happy to not be the only person expressing.

But that is enough of me here, and Peace with (wasalam)

robyn
09-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Thank you all for such a warm welcome I hope to learn more about your cultural beliefs. If I say something wrong or ask what something means too often, please bear with me as I in now way wish to offend, just want to learn and understand.

Robyn

amatu
09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
welcome to the forum

robyn
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Rebekah,

I'm a little confused, you say you are an Australian Aborigine and yet you sound more like a Muslim? I have read your post regarding Aboriginal people and to be completely honest I was not happy with what you had to say.

I come from a proud people, a Matriarchial people and I can not understant why you would write in such an inappropriate way about a culture you declare you are part of. If you truly believe what you have written then you should explain where you learn this, give proof as to your statements.

My culture is one of the most researched cultures in the world, so many people get it wrong as they see through ethnocentric eyes. I also note that you called yourself an Elder. If this is so you would not have written in such a derogatory way about our culture.

I don't want to put you done Rebekah, but if you are what you say you are then as an 'Elder' you should realise that you can not live in two cultures. How can you guide others within Aboriginal culture if you also live with your Muslim beliefs????

I would be interested to know what your Country is and who your people are, I have contacts in many communities and perhaps we could make contact through yours.

I look forward to your response.

Robyn

*love4isl@m*
09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
:) Welcome Robyn,

I hope u hav a very good beneficial stay and hopefully u will enjoy it with us...
Dont hesitate 2 ask any Q's and feel free!! :)

WELCOME 2 DA FORUM!!!

snakelegs
09-28-2006, 03:20 AM
[MOUSE]welcome![/MOUSE]
you might want to check out this thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...borigines.html

robyn
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
[MOUSE]welcome![/MOUSE]
you might want to check out this thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...borigines.html
It was this post I was refering to as well.

Robyn

- Qatada -
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Hi robyn.

I don't want to intervene, but i just want to point out that islaam is a whole way of life. so for instance, if a person is asian - they follow islaam over their culture, or if their australian, they follow islaam over their culture etc.

Obviously culture is allowed, so long as it doesn't go against the ruling's of islaam.

Allaah (God) has made us into different colors and tribe's so that we can get to know each other etc. But this does not mean that it should contradict our submission to Allaah Almighty. Therefore if a commandment is given by Allaah, then we prefer this over the norm of one's culture etc. Because we believe that this life is only temporary, and after death - every soul will return to it's Creator - Allaah.

Therefore we obey Allaah, and the real life is the afterlife - where the believer's will be rewarded [in paradise] and the disbeliever's will be punished [in hellfire] for rejecting the messengers of Allaah, who all brought the Message of Allaah, to worship Allaah alone.

Allaah Almighty know's best. and if you ever have any question's - please don't hesitate to ask.

Peace.

Najiullah
09-30-2006, 12:52 AM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

akulion
10-03-2006, 04:10 PM

S A L A M A L A I K U M
P E A C E B E U P O N Y O U

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I Pray you find it benefical and helpful ameen

Feel at home and if you need any help, feel free to ask

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.