/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ~~Today In Jewish History~~

therebbe
09-27-2006, 07:35 PM
3880 [119] - Rabbi Akiva - Arrested by the Romans

Rabbi Akiva (Mishnaic Sage) was arrested by the Romans for "unlawfully" teaching Torah in public. Five days later (on Yom Kippur), he died the death of a martyr as the Romans removed his skin with iron combs. He smiled while being tortured to death, when asked for an explanation he exclaimed: "All my life I have wondered 'when would I get the opportunity to die for the sanctification of G-d's Holy Name', now that this opportunity has come, should I not rejoice?" Shortly thereafter his soul departed with the words Shma Yisrael ("Hear oh Israel...") on his lips. This event is recalled in the Yom Kippur prayers.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
09-28-2006, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe

Rabbi Akiva (Mishnaic Sage) was arrested by the Romans for "unlawfully" teaching Torah in public. Five days later (on Yom Kippur), he died the death of a martyr as the Romans removed his skin with iron combs. He smiled while being tortured to death, when asked for an explanation he exclaimed: "All my life I have wondered 'when would I get the opportunity to die for the sanctification of G-d's Holy Name', now that this opportunity has come, should I not rejoice?" Shortly thereafter his soul departed with the words Shma Yisrael ("Hear oh Israel...") on his lips. This event is recalled in the Yom Kippur prayers.
In accordance to Islamic, he might be awarded paradise

therebbe
09-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Rabbi Akiva is a very famous Rabbi, who had a lot of commentary and wise words about Torah.

north_malaysian
09-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Did he teach the torah to Jews or gentiles (eg. Romans)?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
therebbe
09-29-2006, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Did he teach the torah to Jews or gentiles (eg. Romans)?
He taught and interpreted Torah, mostly with Jews, but would sometimes do public teaching sessions. The Talmud calls him: "Rosh LaChachomim" or Head of all sages.

therebbe
10-03-2006, 08:25 PM
5702 [September 30, 1941] - Babi Yar: Kiev's Jewish Community Murdered by Nazis
At least 33,771 of Kiev's 175,000 Jews were killed at Babi Yar (a suburban ravine near the Jewish Cemetery). The Jewish community assembled at Babi Yar, assuming they would be loaded onto trains. They were asked to undress and were beaten if they resisted. They were then systematically shot by machine gun fire. Later, another 60,000 people were shot at Babi Yar, (including some Russian POW).

جوري
10-04-2006, 12:16 AM
I never understood why people force others to undress before they shoot or torture them? It is as if they wish to humiliate their very soul ... it is unforgivable... In Islam we are told those people (the ones who torture others) will never smell heaven whose scent can be appreciated up to 200 years distance.......them and the women who dress in see through clothes..... (alkasiat al3aryat)
wallah a3lam

north_malaysian
10-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Stupid Nazis.... they humiliated other people by asking them to be naked and then kill them......:cry:

InToTheRain
10-07-2006, 05:04 PM

Correct me if I wrong...But I heard the Jews aren't allowed to preach in public and have to let an individual find out about judaism through their own efforts.

I have never seen anyone publicly preach about Judaism to convert others to Judasm...therefore i thought what I heard was correct, maybe I am wrong :?

therebbe
10-08-2006, 12:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
Correct me if I wrong...But I heard the Jews aren't allowed to preach in public and have to let an individual find out about judaism through their own efforts.

I have never seen anyone publicly preach about Judaism to convert others to Judasm...therefore i thought what I heard was correct, maybe I am wrong :?
Hahaha, I don't think you understand what "public" means. It means, teaching Torah to Jews while not hiding it from others, in a basement.

Lets say Me and the Rabbi went to Starbucks and started studying Torah. That would be in Public, and therefore, we would be guilty in many countrys during the Middle Ages.

InToTheRain
10-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Hahaha, I don't think you understand what "public" means. It means, teaching Torah to Jews while not hiding it from others, in a basement.

Lets say Me and the Rabbi went to Starbucks and started studying Torah. That would be in Public, and therefore, we would be guilty in many countrys during the Middle Ages.
HAHAHAHAHAHA....Silly me...

So I was right about Jews keeping their religion to themselves and not wanting to preach to others outside their faith.
Its a good thing Moses didn't follow this rule otherwise Judaism as you know it would've died with him :hiding: :D

therebbe
10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Its a good thing Moses didn't follow this rule otherwise Judaism as you know it would've died with him
Not really. It was obligation to preach to his people. The Hebrews. They were the people that would inevitabley make a covanent with G-d. It is different when it is people outside, because the Torah has laws for them to follow. Laws similar to Islam, which why many believe that Islam was willed to creation for the purpose of following the Torahs laws for Non-Jews. Yet many Muslims hate Jews and some preach killing Jews even though this is a minoirty so they end up not following them.

جوري
10-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Not really. It was obligation to preach to his people. The Hebrews. They were the people that would inevitabley make a covanent with G-d. It is different when it is people outside, because the Torah has laws for them to follow. Laws similar to Islam, which why many believe that Islam was willed to creation for the purpose of following the Torahs laws for Non-Jews. Yet many Muslims hate Jews and some preach killing Jews even though this is a minoirty so they end up not following them.
Muslims don't hate Jews... I can't speak for every Muslim... people don't go on hating other people for their religion it makes no sense even Islamically speaking as Jews are considered people of the book!... HOWEVER, muslims do despise the colonial settler state of Israel and its criminal acts.... I personally have lots of Jewish friends... my lab partner in under grad was Hasidic, during my peds rotation which conincded with Ramadan the jewish girl who was rotating with me used to bring me kosher bread and cheese. and we'd have it together. I don't understand the things you come up with sometimes?... political anymosity is different than the day to day living........

InToTheRain
10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Not really. It was obligation to preach to his people. The Hebrews. They were the people that would inevitabley make a covanent with G-d. It is different when it is people outside, because the Torah has laws for them to follow. Laws similar to Islam, which why many believe that Islam was willed to creation for the purpose of following the Torahs laws for Non-Jews.
Why is it diffrent for people outside? I also get the feeling your saying Judaism was made only for the children of Israel (and their decendants of course) at the time of Pharoah. And diffrent laws/religions were sent by G-d for Non-Jews. So you saying G-d is racist? please clarify.

By the way I personnaly have no problems with Jews/Judaism but Zionists are a different story altogether.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2006, 11:12 PM
In accordance to Islamic, he might be awarded paradise

Those who reject (Truth), among the People of the Book and among the Polytheists, will be in Hell-Fire, to dwell therein (for aye). They are the worst of creatures.

If only he was a muslim...

therebbe
10-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Why is it diffrent for people outside? I also get the feeling your saying Judaism was made only for the children of Israel (and their decendants of course) at the time of Pharoah. And diffrent laws/religions were sent by G-d for Non-Jews. So you saying G-d is racist? please clarify.
I don't think you understand. Jews are commanded to follow the 613 laws of G-d. Non-Jews were commanded to follow 7 laws of G-d. Anytime a Non-Jew wants to convert he can. It will take about a year and an interview to make sure you are doing it for the right reasons, and then you can convert. Jews do not go looking for converts, because we believe that it is worthless to convert to Judaism if you do not follow all the laws. You can go to heaven as a righteous gentile. We do not threaten people with "Hellfire" if they do not become Jews.

We want to make sure that if you accept to be a part of the Covanent with G-d and follow Hashem's laws, then you must be dedicated and the kind of person who is willing to be patient and wait a year, and seek out Judaism.

north_malaysian
10-09-2006, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed
If only he was a muslim...
He was dead hundred years before Prophet Muhammad was born.... he might be a righteous person...

InToTheRain
10-09-2006, 11:40 AM
He was dead hundred years before Prophet Muhammad was born.... he might be a righteous person...
He was a muslim, it is clear from the story he was selfless and willing to sacrifice his life for the sake of Allah(SWT)

Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 58, Number 191:
Narrated Khabbaba:

I came to the Prophet while he was leaning against his sheet cloak in the shade of the Ka'ba. We were suffering greatly from the pagans in those days. i said (to him). "Will you invoke Allah (to help us)?" He sat down with a red face and said, "(A believer among) those who were before you used to be combed with iron combs so that nothing of his flesh or nerves would remain on his bones; yet that would never make him desert his religion.

Zulkiflim
10-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Salaam,

A muslim is one who surrenders.

Who worship the ONE GOD,and take no partner othr than Allah.

All Prophets are muslim,for they all worship ONE GOD and surrender to ALLAH.

The Jew mentioned may or may not be muslim,he may teach the Torah that is corrupted and follow corrupt practises.Thus he is propogating misocnetion and deviating from Divine truth.

that is why the Quran is sent to manking,to right the worng done in the other holy books.

So i would say refrain from saying olden people as muslim.

Let it rest in Allah hands.

therebbe
10-10-2006, 02:47 AM
I know he went to heaven. Because those who follow the word of G-d. The Torah will go to heaven. Back then, and today. It has not changed. G-d is all knowing. He got it on the first try.

Zulkiflim
10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I know he went to heaven. Because those who follow the word of G-d. The Torah will go to heaven. Back then, and today. It has not changed. G-d is all knowing. He got it on the first try.
Salaam,

Wow so you have knowledge of the unseen.

that this man will surely go to heaven.

And we already know the torah has been chaged but no one know to waht extent in the different times.

that is why the Quran was sent down as the Criterion to right what was wrong.

Did you know that Allah challenged those who siad their entry to heaven is assured.

Allah challenged those who say to prove they will SURELY enter heaven.Show the proof.
But they could not

Then another challenge..

If you say you will enter heaven then SEEK YE DEATH..

But they wont.

For in the silence of their hearts they know their owrds are but words,empty air.

Only Allah decides whom enter Heaven or Hell.

therebbe
10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow so you have knowledge of the unseen.
You claim to also, in many of your posts. G-d is unseen, how do you know G-d exists? Belief.

And we already know the torah has been chaged but no one know to waht extent in the different times.
So the hypocrite tells me off because I claim to see the unseen, and then claims the Torah is changed when he never saw it changed.

If you say you will enter heaven then SEEK YE DEATH..
Jews cherish life. G-d tells us we must be focused on this world and helping our fellow man. Not focus on death like other religions.

Zulkiflim
10-11-2006, 03:44 AM
You claim to also, in many of your posts. G-d is unseen, how do you know G-d exists? Belief.

So the hypocrite tells me off because I claim to see the unseen, and then claims the Torah is changed when he never saw it changed.

Jews cherish life. G-d tells us we must be focused on this world and helping our fellow man. Not focus on death like other religions.

Salaam,

Umm i did,,can you post the word where i say upon my authority that a person will enter heaven.thanks

So you did claim to the unseen,did you not,are you retracting your word? If you are then Alhamdulilah,for it is arrogance for a man to use his own authority to say he will enter heaven or soe one else.
We need not claim the Torah is chaged,it is changed.

Rashi’s first mention of the this concept is found in Genesis, when God visited Abraham. God came to visit after Abraham circumcised himself. However, this visit was interrupted by the appearance of the three angels (who appeared like men to Abraham). After they left God came back as it was, however, it was viewed inappropriate to say that God came and stood or waited before Abraham. Therefore, the verse was altered to say that Abraham still stood before God. Rashi explains this change is one of the Tikkun Soferim. The simple way to understand this concept is just the Rabbis came and explained that although there should have been a different reading, this one was chosen so not appear offensive to God. But, importantly, the Rabbis did not actually make the change, rather they came to explain it.
http://seforim.blogspot.com/2006/09/...ations-to.html

In some editions[3] of Rashi, there are a few additional words which offer a very different insight into the Tikkun Soferim process. These are “שהפכוהו רבותינו לכתוב זה” or “The Rabbis altered it to state thus.”[4] This means that after the Torah was written, some later Rabbis came and altered to the text.
The simple answer is that the Rambam wrote in a responsum (Pe'er Hador, 9) that, for the purposes of synagogue use, even an invalid Torah scroll may be used.
http://www.aishdas.org/toratemet/en_pamphlet9.html

There are at least 4 Hebrew-letter versions of the Torah:

Samaritan - mixture of Babylonian-Jewish traditions,
preserving the narrative story but not paying
particular attention to the exact letter sequence;

Ashkenazi - Northern and Eastern Jewish tradition,
paying attention to the exact letter sequence;

Sephardi - Latin and North African Jewish tradition,
paying attention to the exact letter sequence; and

Yemenite - Muslim and African Jewish tradition,
paying attention to the exact letter sequence.

In the entire 304,805 letter Torah sequence,
there are only 9 letter variations among
the Ashkenazi, Sephardi, and Yemenite versions.

Between those versions and the Samaritan version,
there are about 6,000 letter variations,
even though the narrative stories are virtually identical.
http://www.valdostamuseum.org/hamsmith/Torah.html

north_malaysian
10-11-2006, 05:03 AM
He was a muslim, it is clear from the story he was selfless and willing to sacrifice his life for the sake of Allah(SWT)

Narrated Khabbaba:

I came to the Prophet while he was leaning against his sheet cloak in the shade of the Ka'ba. We were suffering greatly from the pagans in those days. i said (to him). "Will you invoke Allah (to help us)?" He sat down with a red face and said, "(A believer among) those who were before you used to be combed with iron combs so that nothing of his flesh or nerves would remain on his bones; yet that would never make him desert his religion.
Is the Prophet referring to Rabbi Akiva? MAshallah..... I'm hoping to have a very firm faith in God as him....

therebbe
10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
He prayed 3 times a day, observed Jewish law, and gave his life as a martyr for the Jews G-d and Torah as his last words were the Shema, the call/battle cry of all jews that G-d is one, and his torah is law.

he did not follow Islamic law, therefore. he isnt muslim.

Woodrow
10-16-2006, 02:10 AM
May we all now return to the topic of the thread.

north_malaysian
10-16-2006, 03:07 AM

Narrated Khabbaba:

But this hadith is a proof that he's considered a Muslim....

ManchesterFolk
10-16-2006, 10:30 AM
But this hadith is a proof that he's considered a Muslim....
The story was well known throught the world though. The Jews hold him as a great Martyr. This could very well have been recorded in a Hadith because it was such a well known story.

But who knows what the truth is. I believe your thoughts are genuine that this man was definitly a Muslim. What Jews believe is that he is a Jew because his vast commenttary on Jewish law.

north_malaysian
10-17-2006, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
The story was well known throught the world though. The Jews hold him as a great Martyr. This could very well have been recorded in a Hadith because it was such a well known story.

But who knows what the truth is. I believe your thoughts are genuine that this man was definitly a Muslim. What Jews believe is that he is a Jew because his vast commenttary on Jewish law.
At least two religious groups declared him as a martyr. He must be very proud of himself!!!:happy:

Goku
10-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Narrated Khabbaba:

That Hadith describes almost exactly what happened to people like the righteous Rabbi.

InToTheRain
10-17-2006, 02:37 PM
He prayed 3 times a day, observed Jewish law, and gave his life as a martyr for the Jews G-d and Torah as his last words were the Shema, the call/battle cry of all jews that G-d is one, and his torah is law.

he did not follow Islamic law, therefore. he isnt muslim.
A Muslim is someone who submits his will sincerely to the obedience and worship of the the one true God which is Allah(SWT). Its a misconception that Muslims existed from the time of Mohammad(SAW), they have existed since the 1st creature made to worship Allah(SWT).

Further more we know in Judaism there are 71 sects and only 1 sect are muslims (True believers), and from the story you have told it's obvious the rabbi is part of that sect Insha'Allah and not of those who have deviated from the original message Moses(AS) bought.

ManchesterFolk
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Further more we know in Judaism there are 71 sects
71 sects?

I highly disagree. The only sects that are recongnized by mainstream Judaism and the councils of North America and Holy Land are the Reform movement, Consercative movement, Orthodox movement and reconstructionist movement.

Orthododx Judaism is the only source on the strict interpretations of the Torah which they follow called the "613 mitzvot"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.