/* */

PDA

View Full Version : no coffee....

doodlebug
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Assalamu aleiykum

Ok so I start fasting tomorrow insha Allah and was wondering how you all go a full working day (until sunset that is) without coffee????:uuh:

I tried this morning just for kicks and here I am at 10am with a MASSIVE headache and sipping my first cup now along with a few tylenol to kill the pain insha Allah.

Should I limit myself today to prepare for the kill or what?:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
09-28-2006, 02:09 PM
lol!!! just for the record...i hate coffee!! :D but when you're fasting you'll proball be so caught up with praying the Quran, Salah and stuff that you wont even notice...it'll take your mind off coffee and food! :D :w:

Mawaddah
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
^ I guess it must be because you are addicted to coffee sis? :? I dont drink coffee and I'm fine alhamdulillah :D I mean yes I do get massive headaches sometimes during mid-day, but I just bear with it. It's just something that always comes with my fasting. You get used to it :)

doodlebug
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer
lol!!! just for the record...i hate coffee!! :D but when you're fasting you'll proball be so caught up with praying the Quran, Salah and stuff that you wont even notice...it'll take your mind off coffee and food! :D :w:
Not really. For the bulk of the day my mind will be trying to be focused on work so I definitely will notice,...as I just did for two hours unfortunately. :cry:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
coffee ruins the delicate balance . seems to me like ti messes up your whole routine and forces your body which is unhealthy. i say get use to a routine... btw i neva sleep without drinking horlicks... is that the same :?

doodlebug
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ I guess it must be because you are addicted to coffee sis? :? I dont drink coffee and I'm fine alhamdulillah :D I mean yes I do get massive headaches sometimes during mid-day, but I just bear with it. It's just something that always comes with my fasting. You get used to it :)
I never thought I was addicted since I drink only one cup in the morning and then one diet Coke in the afternoon but I guess those two caffeinated beverages are key to me!

doodlebug
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mazed
coffee ruins the delicate balance . seems to me like ti messes up your whole routine and forces your body which is unhealthy. i say get use to a routine... btw i neva sleep without drinking horlicks... is that the same :?
Actually medical studies have proven that coffee, in moderate amounts daily, is a good antioxident that prevents certain forms of cancer.

Re.TiReD
09-28-2006, 02:14 PM
:sl: aww!! not to worry, you'll get used to it Insha'Allah...coz if its not coffee withdrawal symptoms :D it'll usually be something else like tiredness (nearly falling asleep on your first driving lesson) :D or moodiness (snapping at everyone) :D lol its bound to feel difficult :w:

Muezzin
09-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, where there's a will there's a way. Also, you could just drink a black coffee at sunrise - maybe it would last? :)

format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
Actually medical studies have proven that coffee, in moderate amounts daily, is a good antioxident that prevents certain forms of cancer.
Cool. Pity all it does to me is make me want to go to the toilet.

doodlebug
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Ok I'm going to have to look up when fajr is and figure out a way to run the coffee machine without waking my kids, who are NOT morning people, up. :)

UmmSqueakster
09-28-2006, 02:58 PM
:sl:

Well, lessons are always learned. Next year, inshaAllah, start weaning yourself off coffee and soda prior to fasting. Drink 3/4 a cup in the morning, 3/4 a can in the afternoon, then half, then 1/4, etc etc etc, down to nothing.

I understand the caffine addiction. In college, I was up to 6 cans of diet pepsi a day. If I didn't have them, I couldn't keep going. Now, partially due to the horrors it has ravaged on my teeth, I've cut out soda completely, alhamdulilah! I've gone 2 weeks now without any soda. Wooo!

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Ok, I couldn't help but notice...

Did you break your fast to drink coffee?

doodlebug
09-29-2006, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
Ok, I couldn't help but notice...

Did you break your fast to drink coffee?

No I was doing a test run. I'm not able to fast yet unfortunately. Hopefully tomorrow.

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Ok, I dunno your situation.

But it seems a bit strange to do test run in middle of Ramadan.

May Allah grant you the ability and willpower to fast. Ameen.

Woodrow
09-29-2006, 11:50 AM
I am basicaly addicted to coffee. In fact normaly it is the only liquid I drink. I usually drink 6 to 8 cups daily. I am one of those people who is not kept awake by coffee, so now I find I can drink 4 cups before going to bed and one cup as soon as I wake up in the morning. Then I have no cravings or problems going without it all day.

I should have added in, brecause of other problems I don't sleep normal hours. I usually just lay down for 15 to 20 minutes at a time about once an hour throughout the day and night.

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm glad I stayed away from all sorts of things which cause addiction...

doodlebug
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
Ok, I dunno your situation.

But it seems a bit strange to do test run in middle of Ramadan.

May Allah grant you the ability and willpower to fast. Ameen.
Well not so strange since I just reverted a couple of weeks before Ramadan started and spent that time trying to learn how to pray correctly. Couple that with my being a woman and I haven't fasted yet. I won't get more into it because this is not the sisters section. :rollseyes

flower of dusk
09-29-2006, 12:41 PM
lol.. i guess i shud raise my hand to say i'm another coffee addict :D
... wait.. thas not a gd thing is it? .. talk bout cravings and headaches during daylight hours :cry:
...but at the end of the day, i'm proud of myself, and so shud u:)

rubiesand
09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
:sl: Sis I can soooo sympathise about the headaches etc. For me, it's tea withdrawal, rather than coffee. It is something that gets better after a few days of fasting. Definitely the first day or two of not getting tea/coffee as per your normal routine are the worst. It is a very good idea to get your coffee at sehri before the fast begins. But, the good news is - the headaches do stop after a couple of days once your body adjusts.:happy:

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Welcome in that case...

Welcome to Islam :)

Let this holy month be a jump start for you in the right direction and your path to Allah (swt). Ameen.

flower of dusk
09-30-2006, 02:34 PM
It is a very good idea to get your coffee at sehri before the fast begins. But, the good news is - the headaches do stop after a couple of days once your body adjusts.
i aint tried having coffee at sehri bcoz i'm afraid that if i do it'll keep me awake the whole night/morning. :giggling:
and i've realised the headache's are stoppin and i fink i'm coping now lol....i just need my coffee after iftar, :) ...looks lyk i have a new timetable after ramadan for having coffee :D

glo
09-30-2006, 06:49 PM
How are you managing without coffee, doodlebug?

The caffeine withdrawal headaches should be gone by now - mine usually don't last longer than 48 hours.
I always wonder what coffee does to our bodies, that cutting it out causes such terrible headaches ... :?

Hope you are okay. :)

Peace.

doodlebug
10-01-2006, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How are you managing without coffee, doodlebug?

The caffeine withdrawal headaches should be gone by now - mine usually don't last longer than 48 hours.
I always wonder what coffee does to our bodies, that cutting it out causes such terrible headaches ... :?

Hope you are okay. :)

Peace.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.................I'm having my coffee. lol. I wake up before Fajr (the first morning prayer and the time that we have to stop officially eating) and have some cereal and a BIG cup of coffee, then I pray Fajr and go back to bed. I'm a little jazzed still though from the coffee BUT when it is time to wake up for the day I feel grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat and no headache. Then once it is time to break fast after I pray Maghrib I have my diet coke.

so I'm doing my fast right but I'm getting my caffeine in there before and after so I don't get the headaches. :happy:

Snowflake
10-01-2006, 12:54 PM
aww doodlebug.. I have the same problem with tea. So I drink two strong cups at sehri and take 2 paracetamol for good measure. No headache all day! :)

Malaikah
10-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Doodlebug, you know that coffee is a diuretic right? i.e. it drains the water out of your body, and dehydrates you. are you sure thats the best thing to be having before fajr? :uuh:

I think maybe you should have a big cup of water on the side as well to make up for the water lose!

:)

doodlebug
10-02-2006, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese
Doodlebug, you know that coffee is a diuretic right? i.e. it drains the water out of your body, and dehydrates you. are you sure thats the best thing to be having before fajr? :uuh:

I think maybe you should have a big cup of water on the side as well to make up for the water lose!

:)
I switched to tea this morning since my tummy seems to be a wee bit sensitive at 5am. lol.

Anyways, I'm not thirsty at all all day and in addition I also take a diuretic every other day because I have Lupus which makes me retain a LOT of water. I do drink one cup of water with my tea though to take all my medicines with.

Aisha20
10-02-2006, 07:05 PM

auch... i dont like coffee nor tea :X :D

:w:

Sal3ma 7
10-03-2006, 04:05 AM
Sis it must be because u r addicted to coffee..btw i hate coffe n tea also..:D

flower of dusk
10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
lol... those that hate coffe AND tea...are lucky.. so does that mean u not addicted to chocolate either?..
i heard coffee and tea addicts are also in love with chocolate lol...is this true?:?
bcoz THIS person says yes to coffee AND chocolate :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.