/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why Haram?

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Why is Masjid Haram called Haram? Kinda weird the most holly place called Haram. lol

Perhaps.. its "Hurum" ?? Can someone tell me why its called that anyway? and what does it mean?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Stranger~
09-29-2006, 10:29 AM
:sl:
the haram in masjid haram (and shahr haram) is different than the other haram. its driven from the word hurma
:w:

S_87
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM

its ha- raam

الْمَسْجِدَ الْحَرَامَ

haraam means sacred or forbidden. in this case it means sacred :?

- Qatada -
09-29-2006, 10:37 AM
:salamext:

I heard yasir qadhi say that it's also forbidden to do certain thing's there, which might be more permissible outside. For example, cutting down trees? (can someone agree or disagree with me on that?) jazak Allaahu khayr. wa Allaahu a'lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zone Maker
09-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I heard it's called Masjid Al-Haram because its forbidden for non-Muslims to go there.
:w:

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Interesting...

was it always called Masjid Al-Haram?

I think its mentioned in the Quran as Haram too...

I don't know maybe I'll look it up.. perhaps there is a book or something on it... perhaps tafseer in Quran.

S_87
09-29-2006, 12:34 PM

aah look what is found

Al Masjid Al Haram- the sacred mosque

Q376 :In Islam, forbidden things are called "haram", but the holiest place in Makkah is also called Masjidul Haram. What is the real meaning of the term "haram"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A376 : Arabic dictionaries define haram as the opposite of halal; which [i.e. halal] means permissible. Hence, haram means not allowed, prohibited or forbidden. The Holy Mosque in Makkah is called Al-Masjid Al-Haram, because it is forbidden for non-Muslims to enter. It is a sanctuary where people may have refuge. When they are inside it, they enjoy the safety associated with the fact that Allah has forbidden the use of force or violence against anyone in it. Allah states in the Qur'an: "Whoever enters it enjoys security." The fact that certain restrictions apply in the mosque and its surrounding area makes the name "Al-Haram" or Al-Masjid Al-Haram, most appropriate. It is a place where Allah's authority is inviolable. No one may violate it without being punished.

http://www.islamicity.com/dialogue/Q376.HTM

Mawaddah
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
^ Yes that's what I know also, However some people also say that it comes from the word " Hurmah " Which means sacred.

Allahu A'lam.

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Is the Arabic text the same? Is there no difference in the arabic text for masjid al-haram and forbidden haram.

I guess if it has two meanings... it makes more sense to call makkah "sacred."

Jazakallah Khair

S_87
09-29-2006, 07:27 PM

yes the arabic is the same ...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.