/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is my fast valid?

bint_muhammed
09-29-2006, 08:38 PM
i was involved in a traffic accident today, and had head injuries, where i was sick. does this make my fast invalid if i vomitted and lost a lot of blood!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~Stranger~
09-29-2006, 09:05 PM
:sl:
i hope this helps
Question:
Does vomiting in small quantity invalidates fasting? It was something between spitting / hawk ans vomiting. I am disposed that it was either very little vomitting /i.e. aI was not able to keep my water down/ or some spitting. Please provide with right Islamic enterpretation of this issue.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Vomiting refers to when food etc is expelled from the stomach outside the body.

With regard to whether this breaks the fast or not, the ruling depends on whether it was done deliberately or not. If a person vomits deliberately, this breaks the fast and he has to make up that day. If he cannot help vomiting and vomits involuntarily, then his fast is still valid and he does not have to do anything else. We have already discussed this in question no. 38023.

If a person needs to vomit because he is sick and vomiting will help him to recover, then it is permissible for him to do that, but he has to make up that day after Ramadaan, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

According to the correct scholarly view, it makes no difference whether the amount of vomit is great or small. If a person vomits deliberately and only a small amount comes out, the fast is broken. It says in al-Furoo’: If a person makes himself vomit and vomits anything, then his fast is broken, because of the report of Abu Hurayrah: “Whoever cannot help vomiting does not have to do anything but whoever makes himself vomit deliberately has to make up that day.” Al-Furoo’, 3/49. This hadeeth was narrated by Abu Dawood, 2380; al-Tirmidhi, 720 – he said the scholars follow this. It was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani.

But there is a difference between spitting and vomiting. Spitting and hawking etc do not come from the stomach, so there is nothing wrong with expelling that matter. But vomiting comes from the stomach as explained above.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
:w:

DigitalStorm82
09-29-2006, 09:25 PM
Inshallah everything is ok... your health?

broth3r Ali
09-29-2006, 09:43 PM
salaam

hey hope ur recovering ok? take it easy. As for if ur fast is valid or not, well from my knowledge ur fast is still valid as long as bringing up the vomit was unintentional (as in ur case) and also that the vomit did not return down the throat.

jazaks for the useful info @ stranger!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
09-29-2006, 09:57 PM
salam.
i hope your in the best health of Iman Ukthi, well am not very sure if your fast is valid or not but Allah Hu A3lim!
w.salam

zash2
09-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Inshallah sister ur health is beter and that u recover wel :)

glo
09-30-2006, 08:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
i was involved in a traffic accident today, and had head injuries, where i was sick. does this make my fast invalid if i vomitted and lost a lot of blood!
That must be strangest post I have read here in a long while!
You have a head injury and you worry about whether you have consequently broken your fast??? :?

I will never understand what kind of God you guys think you worship!
:heated:

Sister, God wants you to rest yourself whilst you are recuperating!
He wants you to take care of your body!
He wants you to be well and able to live for him and serve him!

Please look after yourself.
Have you seen a doctor? Head injuries can be serious and need medical attention. You should also look out for any symptoms which may occur later. Vomiting, headaches, visual problems, co-ordination problems being just a few.

Please take care. :)

manaal
09-30-2006, 08:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
That must be strangest post I have read here in a long while!
You have a head injury and you worry about whether you have consequently broken your fast??? :?

I will never understand what kind of God you guys think you worship! :heated:

Sister, God wants you to rest yourself whilst you are recuperating!
He wants you to be well and able to live for him and serve him!

Please look after yourself.
Have you seen a doctor? Head injuries can be serious and need medical attention. You should also look out for any symptoms which may occur later. Vomiting, headaches, visual problems, co-ordination problems being just a few.

Please take care. :)
Glo,
you must understand that this sister is worried if her fast was invalidated because if it is she is obligated to fast on an extra day to make up for the lost day. Its a worry we all have.
I mean after fasting for nearly 30 days, its going to a blow when someone comes and tell you that you have to fat extra days because some of your fasts were invalid.
Please understand this. This has nothing to do with whether ir not Alaah wants us to rest when we meet with an accident. Its about whether or not she has to fast on an extra day.

Malaikah
09-30-2006, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney

sis if you lost a lot of blood that will invalidate your fast, because you need to eat to regain that strenght! the vomit wouldnt matter because its unintentional

i hope youre ok and that you get better soon!!!!! ameen

aamirsaab
09-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Following Islam isn't supposed to be difficult or impossible (infact, pretty much everything muslims are supposed to do for Allah are very quite simple and easy tasks) you know.

As such, I'm under the impression that car accidents (that cause head injuries) would be a perfectly valid excuse not to fast.

With regards to the bleeding: if it is severe bleeding (i.e head injury) it'd break one's fast.

As Glo pointed out a few posts back: "Sister, God wants you to rest yourself whilst you are recuperating!
He wants you to be well and able to live for him and serve him!"

Remember, one can always make up fasts outside of ramadhan.

bint_muhammed
09-30-2006, 10:32 AM
salam guys, no i'm fine now. however i've got a permanent scar near my right eyebrow. i think i was unconciouse for a while, the docs offered me paracetamol and i refused, (is that extreme). mashallah i'm fine, people were quite suprised because it was pretty dangerouse. loving the attension though lol. my mums fussing over me, i also obtained many choc boxes! my nephews are really into my scar associating it with Harry Potter, at the moment i' their fave aunty!

hello Glo
i'm just wondering if i have to hold another fast to make up for it afterwards.

Malaikah
09-30-2006, 10:34 AM
LOL!!! sis youre funny ;) im glad your ok alhamdulillah..

how blood did you actually loose?

DigitalStorm82
09-30-2006, 10:38 AM
lol

Alhumdulillah all is well...

I think its better to question the fast.... despite the condition your in...
that shows ur faith in Allah.. worried more about pleasing Allah than taking care of your own calamity... Mashallah sis.. May Allah keep you close.

~Stranger~
09-30-2006, 11:49 AM

jazaks for the useful info @ stranger!!
waiyyakum brother

alhamdulillah sister u r fine.

a harry potter scar? :giggling: how cute masha'allah- how old r they?

I will never understand what kind of God you guys think you worship!
that was not a good thing to say

as the brothers and sisters explained, the sister is just worried she would not eat the whole day and find out eventually her fast was invalid and she has to make it up

glo
09-30-2006, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Glo,
you must understand that this sister is worried if her fast was invalidated because if it is she is obligated to fast on an extra day to make up for the lost day. Its a worry we all have.
I mean after fasting for nearly 30 days, its going to a blow when someone comes and tell you that you have to fat extra days because some of your fasts were invalid.
Please understand this. This has nothing to do with whether ir not Alaah wants us to rest when we meet with an accident. Its about whether or not she has to fast on an extra day.
Thanks, manaal

Believe me, I am trying to understand that kind of thinking and attitude ... but I just can't! I just don't get it at all ... :?

Thanks for your patience though. I appreciate it! :)

peace.

glo
09-30-2006, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

that was not a good thing to say

as the brothers and sisters explained, the sister is just worried she would not eat the whole day and find out eventually her fast was invalid and she has to make it up

Please don't be offended, Stranger! I meant no offence! :embarrass

I am just trying to express how incomprehensible I find some aspects of your faith.
I believe God to be loving, caring and forgiving ... and not condemning of people who fall short in their fasting through no fault of their own!
I equally don't believe God would want women to push themselves to fast during their pregnancy, nor to give up breast-feeding their very young babies for the sake of fasting ...

I have read the explanations people have given, and I apologize to manaal for hijacking her thread. :hiding:

Peace

- Qatada -
09-30-2006, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Please don't be offended, Stranger! I meant no offence! :embarrass

I am just trying to express how incomprehensible I find some aspects of your faith.
I believe God to be loving, caring and forgiving ... and not condemning of people who fall short in their fasting through no fault of their own!
I equally don't believe God would want women to push themselves to fast during their pregnancy, nor to give up breast-feeding their very young babies for the sake of fasting ...

I have read the explanations people have given, and I apologize to manaal for hijacking her thread. :hiding:

Peace

The muslim's will alway's seem odd to the non muslims because they have submitted themselves to Allaah Almighty. The believer's love their Creator, and He love's them.

They love him, so they obey Him. Allaah love's them, so He make's the religion easy to the one's who choose to submit to Him, the Most Wise.

Does this seem odd to you?

“and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days”

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

Is this the God who's forcing us to fast through hardship? Or is He the same God who is giving us an excuse to fast on a later date, to make our journey's/illnesses easy for us?

Islaam is submission, and it take's dedication to reach paradise. Anyone can believe, but it take's an effort to prove that you really believe, by showing one's dedication outwardly, which then prove's one's belief's inwardly insha'Allaah.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Curaezipirid
09-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Was it only a vomit of accepting that an accident is an accident?

glo
09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Thank you, Fi_Sabilillah :)

You are quite right. I fear I shall never understand the way of Islam.
The best I can hope to achieve is to learn what Muslims believe and to respect that to be their religion.

Peace, brother

DigitalStorm82
09-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Islam entered this world as something strange, and it will leave as something strange.

We remember our Lord much as possible... watchful of every step... every glance when walking outside.. watching what we eat... making duah to leave the house... enter the house... duah to eat, duah to enter bathroom, duah to leave the bathroom, duah before and after wudu...etc.

so when some calamity befalls us... we think our Lord... trying to please ourselves by pleasing Allah. We find HAPINESS in pleasing our lord, we find comfort and compassion in pleasing our Lord with everything we do...

As the prophet (sws) said, non-believers will always see islam as a strange thing.

Islam is easy and hard... its easy for those who love Allah but hard for those who dont...

Those who trully love Allah will not say "uff" to any of the commands of Allah or the sunnah of the prophet, or consider putting themselves before Allah.

For example, if I want a nice sports car to please myself... I'll be displeasing Allah by wasting my wealth on a sports car instead of getting a reliable car that will get me from point A to B. So, for someone who loves Allah will not spend that money on a sports car because he wants to please his creater and be able to see His face in paradise. That is the ultimate blessing.

salaamz

Durrah
09-30-2006, 10:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident sis. Inshallah you're alright. Make sure you go back to the doctor to check your head injuries sis. Take plenty of rest and if you feel light headed, any pain, dizzyness or like you might pass out in the coming days: go and check it out staight away.

Fi'ameen allah x

al Amaanah
09-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Assalaamu 'alaykum sis

May Allah heal you with His Rahma!
Ameen

Wassalaamu 'alaykum

syilla
10-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Allah subhanahuwata'ala...is so forgiving....

and the muslims know it....but all we want is to impress Allah subhanahuwataala...

We will try to sacrifice for him as much as we can...as long our body, energy and imaan...permit us.

bint_muhammed
10-02-2006, 03:24 PM
i'm sooo bored, i aint going collij for a week, my whole body aches, and i'm praying on a chair, coz my left knee is swollen. anyways jazakallah for you duas, at times like these you remeber all those people around the world less fortunate than ourseles who have lost legs or arm, and family members, in bombs terrorist acts comitted by others! i hope they all find peace ameen!

DigitalStorm82
10-02-2006, 05:08 PM
When I was in an accident, I had theraphy for 3 months... I suggest you go through some form of therapy... you may think you don't need it.. but I don't think I would have recovered much as I did...with herniated disks and all..

I underwent chiropractor, accupuncture, and massage therapy for 3 months... The cost was covered from the isurance company so it was totally free.. I suggest you talk to your lawer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.