/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Date dilemma!

Fishman
09-30-2006, 05:34 PM
:sl:
For food I often go to this takeaway down the road, which sells halal food. It's run by Muslims, who are really nice, and have offered to share some of their iftar food with me. I tried pakoras and dates, and next time I might try samosas. But when I tried the date for the first time ever, I really didn't like it, it almost made me throw up. I don't want to eat one again, but I don't want to offend my friends by refusing their food.
I know that the prophet (pbuh) used to eat dates to break his fast, but from what I've read, it is not obligatory to have the same favourite food as the Prophet (pbuh) or favourite colour or things like that. I told this scholar I know about not liking dates, and he said that they were an aqquired taste, and didn't criticise me or anything.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Fishman
09-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Nobody homeshfvay?

Al-Zaara
09-30-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
For food I often go to this takeaway down the road, which sells halal food. It's run by Muslims, who are really nice, and have offered to share some of their iftar food with me. I tried pakoras and dates, and next time I might try samosas. But when I tried the date for the first time ever, I really didn't like it, it almost made me throw up. I don't want to eat one again, but I don't want to offend my friends by refusing their food.
I know that the prophet (pbuh) used to eat dates to break his fast, but from what I've read, it is not obligatory to have the same favourite food as the Prophet (pbuh) or favourite colour or things like that. I told this scholar I know about not liking dates, and he said that they were an aqquired taste, and didn't criticise me or anything.

Well bro, just try to eat one date when they offer to you and politely say to these Muslims you are not so fond of dates if they try to make you eat more... :) They'll inshallah understand.

My youngest sister doesn't like dates, so you are not alone. ;D

- Qatada -
09-30-2006, 05:50 PM
:salamext:

"The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to break the fast with fresh dates before he prayed, and if there were no fresh dates, then with small dry dates. If there were no dry dates, then with a few sips of water." [Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi]

Salman ibn 'Amir ad-Dabi the Companion reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When one of you breaks his fast, he should break it with dates. If he cannot find any. then he should break it with water. It is pure." [Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah, the Mighty and Majestic said, 'The most beloved of My slaves to Me is the quickest to break the fast." [at-Tirmidhi]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

"The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to break the fast with fresh dates before he prayed, and if there were no fresh dates, then with small dry dates. If there were no dry dates, then with a few sips of water." [Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi]

Salman ibn 'Amir ad-Dabi the Companion reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "When one of you breaks his fast, he should break it with dates. If he cannot find any. then he should break it with water. It is pure." [Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi]

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Allah, the Mighty and Majestic said, 'The most beloved of My slaves to Me is the quickest to break the fast." [at-Tirmidhi]
JazakAllah khair brother... But does this mean you have to break the fast with dates if there are some? Even though you don't like them... Like really can't stand to eat them? :?

glo
09-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Fishman, a neighbour gave us fresh dates the other day - and I didn't like them either. They made me feel quite sick ... in fact, they were so bad that I assumed they weren't quite ripe or something ... +o(

Perhaps it's just a acquired taste ...

Fishman
09-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, they didn't offer me the iftar food again today, but at least I ordered a chapati, which I always wanted to try!

~Stranger~
09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
well u could at least try another type of dates, me personally have always disliked dates but these were the really dry ones. now i like it coz they're not so dry....

glo
09-30-2006, 06:41 PM
How many types of dates are there, Stranger?
The ones I tried were very dry - not fruity or juicy at all, as I had imagined. They were little orangy-yellow ones.

Helena
09-30-2006, 06:49 PM
wallahi i thought this thread was about date...as in DATE DILEMMA.....man.....

isnt it suppose to be dates?:? :? :?

Fishman
09-30-2006, 06:51 PM
The dates were very juicy. But I thought that the juice tasted nasty.

~Stranger~
09-30-2006, 06:52 PM
How many types of dates are there, Stranger?
The ones I tried were very dry - not fruity or juicy at all, as I had imagined. They were little orangy-yellow ones.
i dont know how many types there r but i dont like the dry ones
and the ones u talked about- these r the ones i cant stand. they were very dry- weren't they?? i cant even look at them,:vomit: they make ur teeth go ...... i dont know how to explain it

Helena
09-30-2006, 06:55 PM
moi love dates......i love da dry dates that has nut or almond in it...hmmm....

u shud try that?

glo
09-30-2006, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~
i dont know how many types there r but i dont like the dry ones
and the ones u talked about- these r the ones i cant stand. they were very dry- weren't they?? i cant even look at them,:vomit: they make ur teeth go ...... i dont know how to explain it
LOL
Yes, those were the ones!!! +o(
They were so dry, they tasted almost nutty.

So which ones should I look out for?
Or what are they called? (I could ask Miriam, the lady in the shop, for them)

Perhaps I will give dates another chance, then ... ;D

Thanks, Stranger! :)

Nawal89
09-30-2006, 08:34 PM
theres this one type of dates we got in Yemen, i dont know anyone who didnt like it yet..I think they baked them, or something, or dried them in the sun...Because it was sort of like a chewy candy. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I loved them.

Other than that kind, i wont eat dates unless there's nothing else to eat. I really dont like them.
Fishman i dont think they'll really be offended, if you say you dont like dates, because its not like something they prepared. Or you could just overlook the dates. Most of the time the people dont even notice.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-30-2006, 08:37 PM
mmmmmmmm i lurve dates.. how cn u not? dey sooo nice, esp. da juicy ones..

da dry ones r aite but i stil prefer da juicy ones.. try da dry ones bro

Abdul Fattah
09-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Lol, when I read the treadname I thought: "oh no, brother fishman's having fitnah problems" Astagfirallah. Don't worry brother, remember some food take some time to get accustomed to. There are many things that I didn't like the first few times I tried, but later came to love. And if you really don't like 'm then just say you don't, inshallah people will understand.

Fishman
09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steve
Lol, when I read the treadname I thought: "oh no, brother fishman's having fitnah problems"
LoFL!
Don't worry brother, I wouldn't do such a thing!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-30-2006, 09:11 PM
lol datz wot i thought haha :p

Abdul Fattah
09-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I guess I should take my mind out of teh gutter

:embarrass

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-30-2006, 09:15 PM

You need to try Date Milkshakes..theyre awesome :p

bint_muhammed
09-30-2006, 10:11 PM
i'm not keen on dates, i only have one to break the fast. early this year my mum went to Hajj and she brought some back, it was the dates the Prophet pbuh planted himself, and honestly they were deliciouse. the ones in the corner shop arent tasty. you're not obliged to have them though.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
yh wen ma dad went 2 hajj.. da dates he brought bak i kept eatn dem 1 afta 1.. serious dey wer so yummmmmmmmmmm

Helena
09-30-2006, 10:21 PM
def saudis dates are the best man....wallahi....i had everysingle dates....love da nutty dates, wots it called the one like.....ambar i think....and and my fav was....cant remember

Durrah
09-30-2006, 10:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed

You need to try Date Milkshakes..theyre awesome :p

I'm crazy about my dates (very specific on how i like them and what country they're from), but thats just nasty :vomit:

Date cake bars are nice though! :happy:

To me, its a bit like Marmite, your either love it or hate it. And i love it (i hate marmite though! yuck!)

*charisma*
09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Just a reminder, we shouldn't complain about food. What is provided for us is a ni3mah (blessing) from Allah. If you don't like a certain food, then please don't complain about it. Like bro Fi has already posted, you can have water instead to break your fast inshallah. With everyone complaining about how they taste, it will discourage others from trying them, and some do like dates, so you will be limiting one less person from possibly trying it and enjoying it.

There are different types of dates. Some are really dry, and some are sweet, some are juicy, some are from other countries. It all depends on one's taste.

Barak Allahu Feekum

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

DigitalStorm82
09-30-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know much about types of dates...

All I know is... the beat-up, squishy, and mushy dates are awesome lol :-D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-30-2006, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Durrah

I'm crazy about my dates (very specific on how i like them and what country they're from), but thats just nasty :vomit:

Youve never drunk any have you? Its awesome..its like a blend of..choclate and toffee..mixed with some caramel.. its unbelievable how sweet it gets without any sugar or honey.. Or maybe its just cause I like ice cream alot. Try some someday..if you havent.

Mezier
10-01-2006, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
def saudis dates are the best man....wallahi....i had everysingle dates....love da nutty dates, wots it called the one like.....ambar i think....and and my fav was....cant remember
Yup yup, taste a Saudi date first then make up your mind. i just tasted some from Iran...they were also amazing.

I love them so much, i could probably have a whole iftar with only dates. :D

- Qatada -
10-01-2006, 08:10 AM

Narrated Urwa (ra): Aisha (radhiAllaahu anha) said to me, "O my nephew! We used to see the crescent, and then the crescent and then the crescent in this way we saw three crescents in two months and no fire (for cooking) used to be made in the houses of Allah's Apostle. I said, "O my aunt! Then what use to sustain you?" 'Aisha said, "The two black things: dates and water, our neighbors from Ansar had some Manarh and they used to present Allah's Apostle some of their milk and he used to make us drink."

[Sahih Bukhari]

http://www.searchtruth.com/book_disp...7&translator=1

syilla
10-02-2006, 10:23 AM
they are so many types of dates...

coz i sell them :D :D :D hhehe...(but only for ramadhan)

btw...there is ajmal, rotab, mariami, emir, and....erm...erm....i have to check again...

why don't you try the dates that has nuts in them....i think that tastes better....

i think the juicer dates....are the rotab type....

and glo...the fresh dates...when is not yet ripe...it will taste a little bit bitter.

H4RUN
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
lolll goooood thread lol, the world needs to know more about all the different dates lol eveb though that aint ur issue lolll....well ive always liked the big fat juicy ones that get stuck to your teeth......and the ones from Madinah, Ajwah or sumin....along with Zam Zam watr that's sumin else u shud have from der....

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
salam.
not to be rude or anything but i can't stand eating Date's because there too sweet
w.salam

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:07 PM
The dates were brown, with white goo inside.

Nawal89
10-04-2006, 04:08 PM
^you sure they were dates? :X white gooo? :X:X

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
salam.
whats "goo":? do you mean poo:? :heated:
w.salam

Mawaddah
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Were they stuffed maybe?

That can explain it I guess......

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Were they stuffed maybe?

That can explain it I guess......
The goo wasn't exactly white, but it was opaque, which made it look white. They can't have been stuffed, since the stones were still in there.

Mawaddah
10-04-2006, 05:08 PM
You know what? I think that date that you ate was spoiled, I really do, because if it wasnt' stuffed I dont see how that goo could have gotten there.

If you open up a date you will see that there is a light opaque/whitish looking lining on the flesh, but not so much that you could call it goo....ewww.

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 06:20 PM
salam.
is it some kinda white which looks like white dried skin?? because i once opened a date && it had that in && i just put it down, because you know they be in dry places like the ountry is warm && thats why they turn like that, but wash them before you eat && also look inside once you eat it
w.salam

~Stranger~
10-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I think that date that you ate was spoiled
this thread is making me laugh :D ;D

*noor
10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
i love most kinds of dates, especially the juicy medjool dates from california that come in a huge box

Protected_Diamond
10-04-2006, 07:30 PM

I don't know which dates you ate coz the ones we eat are soo good!!

*noor
10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
ill send u some from here maybe the uk doesnt have good dates i dunno man but dates are awesome and the best i have at least 3 to break my fast

Pk_#2
10-05-2006, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HAJI_HELENA
moi love dates......i love da dry dates that has nut or almond in it...hmmm....

u shud try that?
AsalamuAlaykum,

Yup i was just about to say, the dry ones aint nice, the juicy ones are well sweet so they better :)

Pick your fav fishman :giggling:

syilla
10-10-2006, 01:27 AM
yeah dates are awesome...

my aunty bought some from dubai......MashaAllah..it tastes so different from the one here....and it is delicious...

it was wrapped in decorative wrappers like the sweets...and it tastes almost like choclate...erm...i think...or maybe it just my taste buds.... :X

BlissfullyJaded
10-10-2006, 03:00 AM

Lol...this thread is really funny, not to take the mick out of you brother.

I don't know what type of dates you ate, but I suggest if you ever can, try to get Madeenah dates. They really do taste the best. (Provided they're not rotten...lol!) :)

If all else fails, just drink water and eat other stuff. It doesn't matter, some people like it, some people don't. It doesn't make your imaan any lower because it, so don't stress out. There are many Arabs who don't even really like dates..lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.