/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Australian woman describes Mirrabooka mosque attack

sonz
10-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Ahdielah Edries, president of the Islamic Council of Western Australia, describes how terrorized she felt when a bullet whizzed past her ear in a drive-by shooting at a mosque in Western Australia where about 400 people were praying.

The police as well as Australia’s top spy agency are investigating the incident which took place last night.

"We were in the middle of praying ... I was in front of the window. I heard what seemed like a massive explosion and felt something go past my ear," said Ms Edries, who was on the second storey of the Mirrabooka mosque, north of Perth, when an unidentified gunman fired a shot through the window about 8.45pm last night.

“This action is totally unacceptable and we’ll put all our resources into trying to resolve the issue,” acting police commissioner George Loverock told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

"If I stood a little bit to the left I would be dead," said Edries, 38, adding that the bullet sounded like a jet when it hit the wall.

"I am so grateful nobody died."

Nobody was injured in the incident.

"Kids were screaming, mothers were running. People wanted to protect their children," Ms Edie said, adding that some 100 women and children were on the second floor of the mosque and about 300 men on the ground floor at the time of the attack.

"At this stage we don't know. We hope it is just a stupid person. It was a callous act," she said.

Ameer Ali, who heads the government's Islamic advisory committee, stated that people were ransacked and worshippers' cars were vandalised while the mosque was under attack.

"This is a criminal act, but my question is: where do the criminals get the courage to do this?" Mr Ali told the Associated Press.

Islam is the third most common religion in Australia after Christianity and Buddhism. There are about 281,600 Muslims in Australia; 1.5% of the country’s population, according to the 2001 census.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Curaezipirid
10-01-2006, 03:18 AM
281,600 Muslims is not counting any Traditional Aborigines whose belief is still today structured by first contact with the Empire of Islam. There are only 2%of the total population of now approximately 20 million whom are identifiably Aboriginal, but that figure might be more like 10% when inclusive of other Australians now thoroughly integrated with invaders. Of that 10% perhaps one third are still utilising Shari'ra accountiblity. So therefore in theory there are almost three times that number of persons whom must be caused to begin to identify together if there becomes any violent threat to Muslims in Australia.

wasalam

F.Y.
10-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Wow- I used to go to that mosque when i was in Perth for 5 years. I even know Ms Eedris! Hehehe. She's a Principal at an Islamic school in Perth - where i did my practical expereince for a while! Ah, it's a small world.

It mustve been quite shocking. But that mosque always got targetted - windows were continually smashed. That gun shot is another step up I guess.
Scary.

Curaezipirid
10-01-2006, 04:09 AM
If it is a place that has commonly been under criminal attacks that would explain why there is no immediate outcry here; but all the same a gun shot! I would have expected to learn of the matter through an Australian internet service first!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
10-01-2006, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by F.Y.
Wow- I used to go to that mosque when i was in Perth for 5 years. I even know Ms Eedris! Hehehe. She's a Principal at an Islamic school in Perth - where i did my practical expereince for a while! Ah, it's a small world.

It mustve been quite shocking. But that mosque always got targetted - windows were continually smashed. That gun shot is another step up I guess.
Scary.
:sl:

WOW! now thats a little to close to home! :uuh:

Alhamdulilah, at least no one was hurt.

Curaezipirid
10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
I believe that the difficulty is in respect of the general Australian population having been very much misinformed about Islam; but that within that general picture there is a real and substantial fear by cause of Australians noticing that among Muslims there are three very distinct positions in their du'a.

The population of Australian indigenous persons, of either a black skin and indentifying in the Tradition, or without either black skin or an overt identification, and many different positions between those two extremes, yet have a kindred pattern in making du'a that is engendered by the biological basis of Aboriginality as a genetic. We are sort of forced by ancestry that our du'a is known and so can guarantee being accounted. This is a system that I am trying to step out of by entering the Ummah of Islam. But I am finding repeatedly that it is not possible to move away from the Aboriginal system without bringing with me a large porportion of the Aboriginal population. This is in part why I made the thread about the belief of the Australian Aborigines. It is a hard read but potentially worth it for any Muslim with a vested interest in Islam in Australia and the relative safety of Muslims here.

Now within that picture of the very broad scale du'a of Aboriginal Australia; which is yet today inclusive of the fact that Aborigines committed to causing that we accept du'a for every person on our land back when the invasion began; and many recommitted that during the Sydney Olympics as is evident to the trained observer in the Sydney Olympics opening ceremony that was an Aboriginal managed event; what the present difficulty we are finding is, that our own management of du'a is not aligning with that of some among the Muslims in Australia. There are other Muslims here with whom our du'a readily align, but they are under obligation to align first with other Muslims.

That is why I have been making a strong case for sustaining belief in the fact that our cutlural tradition long ago accepted Shari'a and that in the tradition that is maintained by enough of the Aboriginal population to include us within the Ummah of Islam. There are Muslims here however whom want to refute me in this until the cows come home. But it is also for an explicable reason. Aboriginal Australians simply will not undermine our belief in the Animist Faith. But we are different to other Animists in that rather than according that a bad person gets turned into an animal hereafter, and a good person is saved in Human form; we believe that we all must equitably undertake a passage through animal form to where ever we will be hereafter. Our belief structure instills this, and we have long ago all become inclined to re-instill the fact of this belief at the slightest whiff of any wrong. For most Muslims that seems wrong; but our argument is simply that it is not wrong among us for us, those of us with an Aborigines genetic heritage.

Now in the broader scale of things it is that, of course, all organised crime here is very much under the impact of the Aboriginal method. This includes heroin users whom try to connect their du'a wrongly to opium growers in Afganistan.

Also there are Aboriginal Muslims whom converted to Islam in prison; but whom Aborigines number among the worst in our own community. In fact it sort of is that the general population had a perception that the dangerous folk whom are likely to disrupt Aboriginal systems of du'a need to connect with another community with a strong system of du'a; so they almost got herded in the direction of the Mosque. Therein it is also that we can only have our selves to blame for being misinterpreted by Muslims in Australian generally. That is the nature of the genetic though, obviously we knew this negative repercussion would be ours to accept.

However, I am in great hope that there are enough Muslims whom will understand this general picture, and therein become better able to protect themselves from the criminals. Criminals in Australian tend to have far too much knowledge.

But I need add that while this is a general outlook; I am not in any way familiar with that specific Mosque. Yet the evening in which the gun shot was fired coincided with an event else where which accorded that most of the Kinship among Aboriginal Australians is suddenly readily accepting the inevitability of adopting a Muslim face. The event I perceived was in a Bengali Muslim restaurant in Brisbane: but it was one of those sort of mass consciousness awareness things that will be resounding through all Aboriginal Kinship units.

"Kinship" is a term adopted from anthropologists to describe the Ummah of persons within any Aboriginal group.

This may help but it also could be only more frightening. Perhaps it is that many Muslims came to Australia supposing this is a place with a lesser strength of Imam in du'a because Aboriginal method sustains a semblence of being the opposite; but I will not make that an allegation. The case most certainly is that because of the work of a very small number of actual believing traditional Aborigines among Muslims and in learning about Islam in the modern context: many Australian criminals might now be figuring that all Muslims are equitably to be faulted with causing them to know certain facts.

This is the first post I have ever made in which I myself can be certain that no matter what words I put this situation into; I can not make it be conceived in any better light than the scary fact of a gun being fired into a Mosque in which women and children were Praying.

Yet one part of me wants to express that surely it is that Australians need face the fact that Muslims in the Middle East have been coping in such situations while Australian criminals blamed only themselves, and that now there is further substantiating evidence that in fact it is those whom try to blame Muslims for terrorism whom are the real cause of the terror.

wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.