/* */

PDA

View Full Version : should US muslims vote?

nishom
10-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Salaam,

The US elections are coming up in November.

Should Muslims vote, especially what happened last time when the majoruty of muslims voted Bush, and look what he did?

Is voting a non islamic state which oppresses and kills Muslims permissible?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Obi-Wan
10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Why wouldn't voting be allowed?
If Muslims can't be bothered to vote then they will get ignored. Not voting is a form of silence... and silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.

The instant politicians feel their jobs are at stake... They will switch policy. So tell them what their jobs depend on.

KAding
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
To quote Harry Truman while he was addressing arab ambassadors in 1948: "I am sorry, gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious for the success of Zionism. I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs among my constituents."

Times have changed. If there are as many Muslims in the US as is claimed than they can certainly influence policy.

Fishman
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
:sl:
If you don't vote the fascists will get in.
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nishom
The same reply as in the "Voting" thread, which was started by a British muslim - of course they should vote. If US muslims don't vote they are giving tacit consent both to the election of whoever wins, and whatever they may do when they gain office. Which may, or may not, involve "oppressing and killing" muslims. If you don't vote, you are in no position to complain.

Vote for the person who most represents what you want, and has the most policies you support. If nobody fits the bill, there is nothing to stop muslims fielding their own candidates. Sure, they won't win, but if they get enough votes it will make the point to both Democrats and Republicans that those votes are there for the taking next time if they adopt ideas those muslim voters will support.

Torquemada
10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
What fascists?

Torquemada
10-02-2006, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
The same reply as in the "Voting" thread, which was started by a British muslim - of course they should vote. If US muslims don't vote they are giving tacit consent both to the election of whoever wins, and whatever they may do when they gain office. Which may, or may not, involve "oppressing and killing" muslims. If you don't vote, you are in no position to complain.

Vote for the person who most represents what you want, and has the most policies you support. If nobody fits the bill, there is nothing to stop muslims fielding their own candidates. Sure, they won't win, but if they get enough votes it will make the point to both Democrats and Republicans that those votes are there for the taking next time if they adopt ideas those muslim voters will support.
Why won't they win? A muslim is running for congress under the democrat ticket and I believe he's leading in the polls.

wilberhum
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Torquemada
Why won't they win? A muslim is running for congress under the democrat ticket and I believe he's leading in the polls.
Who? Where?

Torquemada
10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Who? Where?
Keith Ellison. He's a revert running for the House of Representatives in Minnesota.

Numaan
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
true;D

wilberhum
10-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Keith Ellison. He's a revert running for the House of Representatives in Minnesota.
Cool!

In the November election, Ellison will face Republican Alan Fine, Tammy Lee of the Independence Party, and the Green Party's Jay Pond. Ellison is an overwhelming favorite to win in November. The Minneapolis-based 5th has long been considered very safe for the DFL, which has held it since 1963. If he wins, Ellison will become the first non-Caucasian elected to federal office from Minnesota and the first Muslim to serve in Congress. He will also be only the fourth person to represent the district since 1943.

Trumble
10-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean that no candidate who is a muslim can win, I meant it was extremely unlikely a muslim candidate standing as a 'protest' alternative to both Democrat and Republican candidates would win.

Fishman
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
What fascists?
Ever heard of the BNP? Nazis by any other name...
They are Islamophobic, anti-immigrant (and against their decendants too), and secretly anti-semetic. They only pretend to support Israel because they will get votes that way.

Torquemada
10-02-2006, 07:46 PM
They are Islamophobic, anti-immigrant (and against their decendants too), and secretly anti-semetic. They only pretend to support Israel because they will get votes that way.
oh ok I agree. I didn't know what system you were talking about.

Muezzin
10-03-2006, 08:08 AM
A rose of a different colour would smell as sweet.

Um, rewind. REALLY bad analogy, sorry. I apologise.

And oh yes, don't give in to these people who say 'voting is haraam!' If you want to vote, do so, and if you wish to abstain, abstain. It's your choice, not anybody else's.

Obi-Wan
10-03-2006, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
To quote Harry Truman while he was addressing arab ambassadors in 1948: "I am sorry, gentlemen, but I have to answer to hundreds of thousands who are anxious for the success of Zionism. I do not have hundreds of thousands of Arabs among my constituents."

Times have changed. If there are as many Muslims in the US as is claimed than they can certainly influence policy.
That Truman quote is an excellent way to make the point. I may copy you! :)

Woodrow
10-03-2006, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding

Quite true, and in 1948 the only generaly known Muslims in the US were Arabs. There were probably no more then several thousand in the US at that time and they had virtualy no political voice. Today Muslims do make up a very significant minority in some voting districts. Enough to be able to carry an election in one direction or another, if they vote.

Elections in America do not bring about immediate changes, changes come about by a series of successive progressions. Each election getting closer to the desired end.

rania2820
10-03-2006, 11:58 PM
i read somewhere that Muslims are only allowed to vote for Muslim leaders.because if we vote for non-muslims leaders that means that we support their ways of spreading immoral actions i.e abortion rights, gay marriage rights. which these laws are clearly against Islam(and all major religions like Judaism and Christianity).

Woodrow
10-04-2006, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rania2820
i read somewhere that Muslims are only allowed to vote for Muslim leaders.because if we vote for non-muslims leaders that means that we support their ways of spreading immoral actions i.e abortion rights, gay marriage rights. which these laws are clearly against Islam(and all major religions like Judaism and Christianity).
It is a question of who does the no vote support if we don't vote. Keep in mind not voting is a vote, except we automatically vote for the winner by not casting a ballot.

Changes are brought about by a series of elections, each time voting for the candidate closest to our views. It is not just a method of selecting, it is also a means of eliminating.

al-muslimah
12-06-2007, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nishom
Salaam,

The US elections are coming up in November.

Should Muslims vote, especially what happened last time when the majoruty of muslims voted Bush, and look what he did?

No VOTING IN A NON MUSLIM COUNTRY FOR A NON MUSLIM GOVERNMENT IS SOO HARAM!!! You are voting in a haram gov which doesn't rule with sharia and the ulamah have declared voting in a kufr state is unlawful.ONly the moderates say its allowed..:heated:

IbnAbdulHakim
12-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Assalamu alaikum wa Rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh

Sheikh Haitham Al-Haddad

Muslims are recommended or even obliged to vote for the party who will be of most benefit on a national and international level, who will increase upon that which is good, or at the least, lessen the extent of the current evil prevalent in the world today.

Sheikh ul Islaam Ibn Taymeeyah

[Sheikh Al-lslam Ibn Taymia, May Allah grant him forgiveness, was asked about a man, who assumed public offices and undertook responsibility for certain fiefs whose inhabitants were required to pay the State - imposed taxes levied as per the practice of all governments. That man chose to lift all the injustice off people's shoulders, seeking to do so with all his effort, knowing that if he resigned his office the injustice would remain as it was, if it did not become worse. The man could alleviate the tax burdens of his subjects, dropping half the taxes but collecting the other half because that half should be collected as repayment for public expenses. Was that man to remain in his office, his intentions and efforts for lifting as much injustice as possible having been known, or should he resign his office and leave the fief for someone else to run, while he knew that his resignation would lift no injustice but could leave the injustice to proliferate? Would he be sinning if he remained in office? If not, would it be right to ask him to remain? Which would be better for him: to stay in office and try to alleviate the injustice as much as he could, or resign his office and let the injustice stay and increase? If the subjects in his fief chose to have him remain in office due to the benefit they gained from his stay through his lifting of injustice, should he stay?]

[/I][/INDENT]

http://austmet.org/index.php?option=...d=14&Itemid=27

NoName55
12-06-2007, 12:51 AM
should US muslims vote?
yes

Woodrow
12-06-2007, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al-muslimah
No VOTING IN A NON MUSLIM COUNTRY FOR A NON MUSLIM GOVERNMENT IS SOO HARAM!!! You are voting in a haram gov which doesn't rule with sharia and the ulamah have declared voting in a kufr state is unlawful.ONly the moderates say its allowed..:heated:
If you are living in a democracy. Not voting is a vote. It is even a stronger vote than going to the polls. At least at the polls you can vote against those that oppose Islam. Not voting is a vote in support of the majority of the voters, as it is acknowledgment that you are not disagreeing with them.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-06-2007, 01:17 AM
im wondering when is it becomes haraam to vote in elections, because i have heard that it is...

al-muslimah
12-06-2007, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
If you are living in a democracy. Not voting is a vote. It is even a stronger vote than going to the polls. At least at the polls you can vote against those that oppose Islam. Not voting is a vote in support of the majority of the voters, as it is acknowledgment that you are not disagreeing with them.
Not voting is not a vote.^o)I don't see me voting for another candidate in the elections do u?? U know what I mean woodrow.

al-muslimah
12-06-2007, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
im wondering when is it becomes haraam to vote in elections, because i have heard that it is...
When?? It is haram!! sister it is haram when you vote for a non muslim which obviously doesn't apply the book of Allah. Thats why the scholars such as Shaykh Abu Muhammad Al-Maqdisi has written in his books democracy is kufr and its haram. Thus when a person votes in such asgoverment they have committed kufr.

NoName55
12-06-2007, 02:52 AM
^^ you would be hillarious were it not so tragic for Muslim kids who may be misled by your posts

al-muslimah
12-06-2007, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55
^^ you would be hillarious were it not so tragic for Muslim kids who may be misled by your posts
I can see you are already misled.Long time ago huh.^o)Tell me are you a secularist or a moderate or something??

salaam2all
12-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Yes we should vote.:D

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-06-2007, 03:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11

You'll want to avoid reading the opinions of some of these kids who've read a book or two and think they're 'supporting the religion' when they are doing the opposite in their ignorance. If you want a proper fatwa from a scholar, you'll find it here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/507348-post2.html

Whatever you do, don't take your religion by these zealous youth who don't know how to properly make wudu, let alone know the ABC's of shariah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.