/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Sunnah clothes'?

Fishman
10-02-2006, 03:28 PM
:sl:
Does anybody know whether it is forbidden, disliked, allowed, liked or obligatory to wear 'sunnah clothes' (thobe, sirwal, cap etc)? If it is liked or obligatory, can some people give me some advice on following the recommendations. My parents have expressed 'dislike' for the idea anyway(they don't want me 'wearing a dress'), so I don't know how much help it's going to be.

Links:
http://www.zawaj.com/articles/sunna_clothes.html
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sum-Muslim-Gal
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM

theres is nothing bad about wearing sunnah clothing because you are dressing the way our prophet(saw) would dress.the reason why it may be disliked bcause of what is shown in the media..wearing a turban a dress,sadar etc... is all terrorist clothing astagfiruallah.

i say take it step by step bro eventually u will feel the love of fullfilling the sunah clothing,:)
sorry if i wasnt much help but all i wanted to say was theres nothing wrong with wearing it:)

Dawud_uk
10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
assalaamu alaykum little bro,

scholars are agreed it is at least mustahaab (recommended) to wear clothing simular to that of the prophet Muhammad (saws) and some go as far as to declare it wajib (obligatory but less than fard) so we differ from the disbelievers.

but it is also a fard (compulsory) to please your parents so you are in a pickle as you cannot leave a fard to complete something that is less strongly stressed in islam? you understand?

why not try telling them it is more modest, wear modest western clothing also for now and wear islamic head gear when you leave the house. insha'allah they will understand that at least.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

Fishman
10-02-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum little bro,

scholars are agreed it is at least mustahaab (recommended) to wear clothing simular to that of the prophet Muhammad (saws) and some go as far as to declare it wajib (obligatory but less than fard) so we differ from the disbelievers.

but it is also a fard (compulsory) to please your parents so you are in a pickle as you cannot leave a fard to complete something that is less strongly stressed in islam? you understand?

why not try telling them it is more modest, wear modest western clothing also for now and wear islamic head gear when you leave the house. insha'allah they will understand that at least.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Currently I normally wear loose, light-coloured Western clothes (three-quarter length shorts and a white tee-shirt, planning on starting to wear a long-sleeved one), and an Islamic cap. Except for at school. I think normal trousers like that are too tight.

why not try telling them it is more modest
I doubt it would work. I think it's better to do your second idea of wearing modest Western clothing for now.

islamic head gear when you leave the house
Do you mean when I've left home or when I'm just outside?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
10-02-2006, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sum-Muslim-Gal

theres is nothing bad about wearing sunnah clothing because you are dressing the way our prophet(saw) would dress.the reason why it may be disliked bcause of what is shown in the media..wearing a turban a dress,sadar etc... is all terrorist clothing astagfiruallah.

i say take it step by step bro eventually u will feel the love of fullfilling the sunah clothing,:)
sorry if i wasnt much help but all i wanted to say was theres nothing wrong with wearing it:)

I'm not that worried about racism, I know the people who do it are just fascists who deserve to have done to them what was done to the Nazis at the end of WWII.

DigitalStorm82
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

I hope you're well and in good state of Imaan, Inshallah.

Your question is a good indication of whats in your heart. Keep striving in the path of Allah. Nothing shall go in vain... Inshallah.

As others have said, it is recommended that you follow the sunnah of the prophet (sws) and try your best to be close to Allah. I have looked at the link you provide, it has mentioned some really good stuff...

Lets face it, you can't walk around in your everyday life with a thobe withouth making your life filled with obstacles... I'm somewhat familiar with your parents views on Islam... I'm not suggesting you don't wear it... but to find a balance.

So, what I suggest is that you buy a lose thobe that will fit over your clothes... that is what most of the people I know did... so, its easy to put it over your clothes when ur at the masjid and then take it off and go back to work or school or home...

As far as the cap is concerend... the prophet (sws) did both... he wore a hat and he didn't wear a hat... so either of them is ok.

Lastly, it is a sunnah, it is not obligatory upon you to complete it... but it is recommended because it brings you closer to Islam and softens your heart.

May Allah bless you and guide you through life. Ameen.

W'salaamz,
Hamid

Fishman
10-02-2006, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
Asalamu Alaikum Bro,

I hope you're well and in good state of Imaan, Inshallah.

Your question is a good indication of whats in your heart. Keep striving in the path of Allah. Nothing shall go in vain... Inshallah.

As others have said, it is recommended that you follow the sunnah of the prophet (sws) and try your best to be close to Allah. I have looked at the link you provide, it has mentioned some really good stuff...

Lets face it, you can't walk around in your everyday life with a thobe withouth making your life filled with obstacles... I'm somewhat familiar with your parents views on Islam... I'm not suggesting you don't wear it... but to find a balance.

So, what I suggest is that you buy a lose thobe that will fit over your clothes... that is what most of the people I know did... so, its easy to put it over your clothes when ur at the masjid and then take it off and go back to work or school or home...

As far as the cap is concerend... the prophet (sws) did both... he wore a hat and he didn't wear a hat... so either of them is ok.

Lastly, it is a sunnah, it is not obligatory upon you to complete it... but it is recommended because it brings you closer to Islam and softens your heart.

May Allah bless you and guide you through life. Ameen.

W'salaamz,
Hamid
Thankyou for posting brother, you're one of my favourite posters here because of your wonderful advice you give!
About the iman issue, it went back down after I last posted in my topic I made about it, but after a talk with a scholar friend I know (who is notoriously difficult to contact, but when you do it's definitely worth it!), it went straight back up! I still have to safeguard it against distactions and school though, which is difficult.

The Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) forbade a man from praying in his trousers (saaraweel) unless he had a wrapper (rida) on him. [Abu Dawud, al-Haakim and the hadeeth is Hasan]
What does everybody think about this hadith?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.