/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Queen grants Muslim prayer room

Lina
10-02-2006, 09:41 PM
:sl:

The Queen has given permission for a room in Windsor Castle to be used as an area for Muslims to pray.
The move came after 19-year-old Nagina Chaudhry who works at the visitors' shop in Berkshire, asked for somewhere to pray during Ramadan.

A spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said an office had been set aside for Miss Chaudhry to use as a lunchtime prayer chamber.

A similar facility for Muslims already exists at Buckingham Palace.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/5395298.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
10-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Wow.....

Pretty_najm
10-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Double wow! But Alhumdullilah!

north_malaysian
10-03-2006, 03:18 AM
I wonder if they have such prayer room in the White House...:rollseyes

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
10-03-2006, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I wonder if they have such prayer room in the White House...:rollseyes
Highly doubtful. There hasn't been a practicing Muslim in any presidential adminstration that I'm aware of. The chances of one actually being built or converted are slim in any case.

north_malaysian
10-03-2006, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Highly doubtful. There hasn't been a practicing Muslim in any presidential adminstration that I'm aware of. The chances of one actually being built or converted are slim in any case.
Hmmm.... in that case...so no need to have one.... but as the President host Ramadan iftar in the White House ... I think he might have one room for Muslim delegations to pray......

Curaezipirid
10-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Cool and cudos to the Queen; but that don't mean we can get into any speculation about anybody else being wrong for not providing such a space.

Kamilah
10-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Masha'Allah...may Allah give the Queen Hidayaah..may Allah show her the light of Islam...Ameen

Fishman
10-03-2006, 08:39 PM
It was a nice thing to do, but that doesn't make much of an impact on my stance on the monachy...
:w:

Ninth_Scribe
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

The Queen has given permission for a room in Windsor Castle to be used as an area for Muslims to pray.
The move came after 19-year-old Nagina Chaudhry who works at the visitors' shop in Berkshire, asked for somewhere to pray during Ramadan.

A spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said an office had been set aside for Miss Chaudhry to use as a lunchtime prayer chamber.

A similar facility for Muslims already exists at Buckingham Palace.
That's my girl! Seriously, you men should allow us women more authority. We do know how to clean up most household messes :okay:

Ninth Scribe

Bittersteel
10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
It shouldn't have been given.This will anger the Christians.Already the UK are sending ambassadors to Bangladesh,calling every Islamic peopel terrorists,equating Islam with terrorism....

Muezzin
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
It shouldn't have been given.This will anger the Christians.
How so? Surely there's already a chapel in Buckingham Palace?

afriend
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM
lol forgive him......It's the country he resides in....

But, on topic....I think that was an appsolutely marvellous thing to confer....Good ol' king..I mean queen :D

Fishman
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Britain should be a republic!

wilberhum
10-04-2006, 08:21 PM
I wonder if Saudi Arabia will open a Christian prayer room in Al-Yamamh Palace

IceQueen~
10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
which Queen...? :hiding: oh that one! ;D

north_malaysian
10-05-2006, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
I wonder if Saudi Arabia will open a Christian prayer room in Al-Yamamh Palace
Christians have to pray 5 times per day during their working days?

Abdulwaheed
10-05-2006, 02:47 AM
LOL i doubt they would be able to pray 5 times a day. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about fasting and praying and He reckons Islam is too hard for him to follow.
He thinks fasting is impossible!

butterfly+
10-05-2006, 02:54 AM
that is actually quite cool. go queen! lol

Woodrow
10-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Actually if Christians did follow the times of prayer established by the early Christian Church it would be at least 5 prayer times per day. The morning prayer upon awakening, The prayer before each meal and the bed time prayers. Seems like there are a few other non-obligatory ones throughout the day, plus there would be the 40 day fast for lent. I believe the Catholics and Eastern Orthodox were the only ones that observed them for any length of time and they have now dwindled away from them.

The Queen has taken quite a big step foreward. I think she should be commended for her decision.

north_malaysian
10-05-2006, 04:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The Queen has taken quite a big step foreward. I think she should be commended for her decision.
Her 'EMPIRE' had the largest Muslim population in the world (....once upon a time, when she's younger)

Long live the monarchy... long live the Commonwealth...:okay:

Fishman
10-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Her 'EMPIRE' had the largest Muslim population in the world (....once upon a time, when she's younger)
That was a different Queen, mate!

Trumble
10-07-2006, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Britain should be a republic!
Dunno. I used to think that once, but having a head of state with essentially no real power has huge diplomatic advantages, not to mention that the Royals bring far more money in from tourists than it costs to keep them.

The other thing is that a republic would require some sort of President.. at that point I just have a screaming fit whenever anybody lists the possible candidates for the job.. :grumbling

Fishman
10-07-2006, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Dunno. I used to think that once, but having a head of state with essentially no real power has huge diplomatic advantages, not to mention that the Royals bring far more money in from tourists than it costs to keep them.

The other thing is that a republic would require some sort of President.. at that point I just have a screaming fit whenever anybody lists the possible candidates for the job.. :grumbling
They take our taxes...

Trumble
10-07-2006, 09:37 AM
They take our taxes...
Any system of government takes taxes. Most of the costs associated with the Royals would stay the same in a republic, anyway - they would just be 're-branded' (paint out "HM the Queen" and paint on "President of the United Kingdom of Great Britain"). And as I said, unlike a political President, the Royals bring an awful lot more into the economy just from American and Japanese tourists than it costs to keep them.

north_malaysian
10-09-2006, 04:30 AM
That was a different Queen, mate!

"Elizabeth became Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan and Ceylon upon the death of her father, George VI, on 6 February 1952."

taken from wikipedia... and I think during that time Pakistan also includes Bangladesh?

Fishman
10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
"Elizabeth became Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan and Ceylon upon the death of her father, George VI, on 6 February 1952."

taken from wikipedia... and I think during that time Pakistan also includes Bangladesh?
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Victoria. Today's 'Empire' isn't really an empire at all. All of these countries are indipendent states.

Muezzin
10-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Victoria. Today's 'Empire' isn't really an empire at all. All of these countries are indipendent states.
Those countries are/were part of the Commonwealth. Except Pakistan got kicked out when Musharraf came to power via military coup. And now he's an ally to democracy. :rollseyes

north_malaysian
10-11-2006, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Those countries are/were part of the Commonwealth. Except Pakistan got kicked out when Musharraf came to power via military coup. And now he's an ally to democracy. :rollseyes

Some Muslim countries belong to the British Commonwealth which is lead by her such as Malaysia, Brunei, Bangladesh, MAldives, Pakistan.

During 1998's Commonwealth Games in Malaysia, she attended it as she is the patron of the Commonwealth...

And Malaysia is so supportive in the Commonwealth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.