/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pet help

alphatrizzle
10-03-2006, 06:29 AM
:sl:
I was talking to my parents after coming back from my friend's house, about getting a snake. The truth is, most pet snakes are harmless, and I was wondering: Is it islamically permissible to keep a snake?

Thanks
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alphatrizzle
:sl:
I was talking to my parents after coming back from my friend's house, about getting a snake. The truth is, most pet snakes are harmless, and I was wondering: Is it islamically permissible to keep a snake?

Thanks
:w:
i can't answer your islamic question, but i have quite a bit of experience with snakes. some things for you to think about:
have you done any research about snakes?
what kind of a snake do you want?
are you prepared to feed your snake? (this is often a major stumbling block).
do you know how to keep a snake and can you provide the necessary things that a snake requires (cage, heat source, water bowl).
yes, most snakes are indeed harmless.
feel free to ask me anything about snakes - if i know the answer, i'll be more than happy to tell you. i love snakes!

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Snakelegs-how many snakes you got?

AsalamuAlaykum sorry bro duno

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
especially slimy when they get rid of their old skin.... arghhh

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
10-03-2006, 07:41 PM
snakes are not slimey! not at all. not even right after they shed. it can actually be quite beautiful (i know you won't understand this, lol) to watch a snake crawl out of its old skin. right when they are getting close to shedding, they usually stop eating and their eyes cloud over (the eye caps get replaced too) and if you're not familiar with this process, they look like they may be sick or dying. this is probably why it has become a symbol for re-birth, etc.
right now i am down to 11 snakes. i have had up to 300 (when i was breeding them). i have no venemous snakes (people always ask) - though i do like rattlesnakes and see them fairly often in the desert.
alphatrizzle,
i would also urge you to contact a herpetological (reptles and amphibians) group in your area. preferably, buy from a breeder rather than a pet store.
get as much info as you can before you buy.

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Down to 11 wow

post some pics if possible,

i like some of their patterns on their skin.

but i wouldn't keep one as a pet,

where you get em from?

Buy em?

so are they allowed in Islam?

snakelegs
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mouse
lool @ u snakelegs :D

haha...

n trizzle, what do u like about snakes ? :uuh:

theyr slimey +o(
well, with a name like yours i don't blame you for not liking snakes!
it's hard to say what i like about them. i enjoy watching them, i like the way they feel, i like their "vibes". just about all the snakes i've had, were very gentle.
i really love seeing them in the wild out in the desert. there is something about watching a snake move in the moonlight that is grace itself.
it is interesting to keep a pet that seems to be very different from you (as opposed to a dog or cat). when it comes down to it, they are really not all that different. they want what you want - a safe place to live, food and water and not to come to harm. another thing that's cool about animals that are very different is that you can't even pretend to yourself that they care about you - unlike a dog or cat!
believe it or not, most snakes do not lie around planning to bite people and will almost invariably try to get away first.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-03-2006, 08:08 PM
snakes *faints* eww.. im scared of spiders 4get snakes!

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Awww luckily you don't find many snakes around your kitchen floor LOL

eww got a bee hive in ma garden *argh* to snakes eat bees? If yes may i borrow your snake bro? just the one not all 11 lol

Kittygyal
10-03-2006, 08:11 PM
salam.
well they are harmless Snakes but depends what snake you want && also if you have knwledge on them then why not keep them
w.salam

P.S Tasmiya_B Snakelegs is a Ukthi

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

sincerly apologise ukhti :$

Don't take offence lol

snakelegs
10-03-2006, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mouse
lol nah man, i understand :D

i think they r quite beautiful too. so are tarantulas..

iv always thot a snake to be slimey.
not coz iv felt them - no surree -but its coz they have really glossy skins.
quite frankly, i would never go near a snake. they remind me of lizards. :offended:
but snakes are better than lizards. coz lizards
have baggy, bumpy skins. [ dont ask how i know tht +o( ]
n scurrying wiv their skinny, green legs. urgh..

btw i love ur avatar. tooooo appropriate :p
i like lizards too, but not as much as snakes. i have several geckos that i caught out in the desert. they eat crickets and meal worms. when they are hunting the hold their tails up and move them side to side very slowly. if you want to see a picture: http://www.gekkota.com/html/c__variegatus.html
yes, some of my tarantullas are quite pretty.
actually, for a mouse you are very liberal!

snakelegs
10-03-2006, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
Awww luckily you don't find many snakes around your kitchen floor LOL

eww got a bee hive in ma garden *argh* to snakes eat bees? If yes may i borrow your snake bro? just the one not all 11 lol
no, they don't eat bees. i've had a wasp nest right above my front door. they have never bothered me. again, most animals do not want to hurt you.
there are a few snakes who will eat insects tho - but no bees. sorry!

Pk_#2
10-03-2006, 08:34 PM
I need to open up a thread duno how to do it :S

snakelegs
10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Down to 11 wow

post some pics if possible,

i like some of their patterns on their skin.

but i wouldn't keep one as a pet,

where you get em from?

Buy em?

so are they allowed in Islam?
i don't have a scanner or pictures of most of my snakes and if i did, i don't know how to post them. you can "google" pix
sorry.
some of my snakes i have bred myself, some come from breeders, some from pet stores and the rest i have caught myself out in the desert.
as for islam, i don't know. i know dogs are frowned upon but i've never read if there is an islamic position on snakes.

snakelegs
10-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I need to open up a thread duno how to do it :S
you mean you want to start a thread? it's easy. go to the section you want - like "cyber counselling" - above on the left you will see a blue thing called "new thread". just click that and post away.

bint_muhammed
10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
i'm not into all the pet stuff, i feel its best if you leave them in their natural environment. i like animals but they have to be at least 10 yards away from lol! i wouldnt kill animals ( not even a fly i feel guilty) but i really am a chicken when it comes to them, i cant kack being close to them. snakes i dont personally have a problem with the way i do with birds aaagggggggghhhhh! oh god i'm getting goosebump typing this.
ask a scholar bout snakes!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!