/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim bias hits all-time high

sonz
10-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Despite educational outreach programs, sensitivity training and cross-cultural soul searching in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, a recent report has found anti-Muslim bias attacks are at an all-time high.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, a nationwide nonprofit Islamic civil liberties organization, showed a nearly 30 percent increase in anti-Muslim bias incidents between 2004 and 2005, the highest number of complaints since the group started compiling statistics more than a decade ago.

The report, released in late September, found 80 percent of the complaints concentrated in just eight states and the District of Columbia -- with 4 percent of cases in New Jersey.

Arsalan Iftikhar, CAIR's national legal director, said the fact that CAIR now has offices in 32 states and that a lot more people are coming forward to report bias incidents have contributed to the increased numbers, but not enough to skew the bottom line.

"The primary reason is there is still rising anti-Muslim sentiment, and Islamaphobia is becoming more institutionalized," Iftikhar said. "You hear a lot more anti-Muslim rhetoric in media outlets, and Muslim-bashing has sort of become the acceptable racism in this country now."

New Jersey has the fifth-largest Arab-American population in the United States, with an estimated 240,000 Arab-Americans, according to a census analysis by the Washington D.C.-based Arab American Institute. New Jersey's Arab-American Diaspora includes people of many different religions, and the state is also home to several non-Arab populations of Muslim faith.

Amal Elrafei, who works at the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee in Clifton, said the recent CAIR findings reflected her own experience with racial profiling this summer.

Elrafei, an American citizen, was returning from her native Egypt with her three children in August when she said she was detained with more than 200 other passengers at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

The group was held for more than four hours, with no information as to why they were being detained and no access to phones to contact worried family members waiting outside, according to Elrafei. Elrafei said it was the offensive way she and others were treated by airport security officials who prompted her to file a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security's Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties.

"There were two components to my complaint," she said. "The first one is the actual regulations that would require us to be stopped and profiled, and the other is what those officers did with the power that they had. They were very disrespectful. They were insolent. They didn't even give us our basic rights as human beings."

The Department of Homeland Security did not return a call by deadline seeking comment.

For Mehmet Ibis, a Turkish national whose brother, Zuhtu Ibis, was killed in the World Trade Center attacks, the pain of losing a loved one has been compounded by the anti-Muslim backlash his family has suffered in the wake of Sept. 11.

Mehmet Ibis, who is Muslim, said he is still angry about the way he was treated by police officers who handcuffed and threatened him on Sept. 11, calling him a suspicious terrorist as he paced the Hoboken waterfront, desperate to get to Manhattan to search for his missing brother. He said customers at his Edison gas station constantly subject him to anti-Muslim diatribes, and his elderly parents were verbally accosted outside a Clifton grocery store by a man yelling anti-Muslim remarks at his mother, who wears a head scarf.

"Before people start blaming the Muslim world, and before they start blaming Islam, people should find out about Islam more," he said.

Reach Samantha Henry at 973-569-7172 or henrys@northjersey.com.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...ZxZWVFRXl5Mg==

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Re.TiReD
10-04-2006, 12:49 PM
:sl:

ahhh! the age old issue, i think the situations gona get worse before it improves, :( Allahu Aalim :w:

Zulkiflim
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Salaam,

I think for muslim in the western world it will get worse and worse.

For their spkeperson will be moderate muslim will will toe the US line.
If the west were to ahve their way,Imams will not learn the commands of Allah about Jihad,about the Unique community of the Ummah,and to place coutnry and dollars above Humanity.

The Us loves to use proxies for it s war,and in this war of Islam it uses Moderate Muslim,sho speak about acrhaic pratises like Hijab,bannign gay and lesbian,women not allowed to be Imams,,,and so on..

they will create proxies for muslim against muslim.

tho i do not know how one can be a muslim and say Not tow ear the Hijab or toe change the quran...

as the Prophet said,many sect will come and only one is true,and that one will suffer greatly but their rewards will be great.

Torquemada
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

I think for muslim in the western world it will get worse and worse.

For their spkeperson will be moderate muslim will will toe the US line.
If the west were to ahve their way,Imams will not learn the commands of Allah about Jihad,about the Unique community of the Ummah,and to place coutnry and dollars above Humanity.

The Us loves to use proxies for it s war,and in this war of Islam it uses Moderate Muslim,sho speak about acrhaic pratises like Hijab,bannign gay and lesbian,women not allowed to be Imams,,,and so on..

they will create proxies for muslim against muslim.

tho i do not know how one can be a muslim and say Not tow ear the Hijab or toe change the quran...

as the Prophet said,many sect will come and only one is true,and that one will suffer greatly but their rewards will be great.
If the West is so evil why live here?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rania2820
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
its getting worse because of the media.the media only shows the radical muslims and never shows the moderate ones. they only show people like Saddam and bin laden.the media has them brainwashed to think that all Muslims are killers and evil. but if people just researched Islam they would see that it's a peaceful religion

wilberhum
10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rania2820
its getting worse because of the media.the media only shows the radical muslims and never shows the moderate ones. they only show people like Saddam and bin laden.the media has them brainwashed to think that all Muslims are killers and evil. but if people just researched Islam they would see that it's a peaceful religion
It is always the media's fault? It isn't the radical Muslims fault?
I find it discusting to blame the reporter and not the doer.

sonz
10-05-2006, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
It is always the media's fault? It isn't the radical Muslims fault?
I find it discusting to blame the reporter and not the doer.
wilberhum why do u ignore what i have said earlier on. ITS LARGELY THE MEDIA'S FAULT. read my post about the evidence and the news sites that mention it.

wilberhum
10-07-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
wilberhum why do u ignore what i have said earlier on. ITS LARGELY THE MEDIA'S FAULT. read my post about the evidence and the news sites that mention it.
Of course it is all the media’s fault. :hiding:
Terrorists have nothing to do with it. ;D

justahumane
10-08-2006, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rania2820

What u mean by moderate muslims sister? I hope moderate muslims are not supposed to disobey ALLAH. And show me some media reports which brands all muslims as killers and evil? Its time that U get out of ur media and west bias to get a clear picture. Its irony that while muslims always claim that non-muslims are biased, they fail drastically to notice their own bias. BTW plz let me know what a non-muslim like myself is supposed to think after reading these verses of Holy Quran.

003.028. Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from God: except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them. But God cautions you (To remember) Himself; for the final goal is to God.

004.139. Yea, to those who take for friends unbelievers rather than believers: is it honour they seek among them? Nay,- all honour is with God.
004.144. O ye who believe! Take not for friends unbelievers rather than believers: Do ye wish to offer God an open proof against yourselves?
005.051. O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust.
Do U notice any bias sister? Plz lets know.

thanks

Fishman
10-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Of course it is all the media’s fault. :hiding:
Terrorists have nothing to do with it. ;D
The media could chose to portray the good Muslims as well as the terrorists, but nope, they have to focus on the bad guys because they get more ratings that way!
:w:

Muezzin
10-08-2006, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The media could chose to portray the good Muslims as well as the terrorists, but nope, they have to focus on the bad guys because they get more ratings that way!
The media always focus on the negative. Same with the counter-terrorist stuff. They only show the failures. Negativity in general sells papers as it caters to everyone. Don't like Muslims? The paper's got some rioting ones for your pleasure!

Don't like a single thing the Government does, ever? The paper's got some great stuff about botched counter-terror efforts and prison guards beating seven shades out of people - in and out of Britain!

wilberhum
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The media has never covered the good.
Breaking news:
47 Seattle Banks have not been robbed

:giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Fishman
10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Breaking news:

I mean, there should be more things like 'Muslim scholars condemn terrorism' and stuff like that. Breaking news usually covers big events, but I think that's different to the normal news.

Muezzin
10-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Breaking news:

Breaking News:

Get Back to the Topic

justahumane
10-12-2006, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Breaking News:

Get Back to the Topic

Breaking news or bone breaking stick?;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.