/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Koran in toilet: 3rd Pace bias shocker

sonz
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
A paperback copy of the Koran was tossed into a toilet on the lower Manhattan campus of Pace University - the latest in a spate of bias incidents upsetting students and administrators at the college, officials said yesterday.

The NYPD Hate Crime Task Force is investigating the vandalism of the Koran, and the university's private security also is probing the incident, sources said.

"A Koran thrown into the toilet? I am hurt, not just as a Muslim but as a human being," said Zeina Berjaoui, 20, president of Pace's Muslim Student Association.

In the past two weeks, vandals also scrawled a swastika and .anti-black slurs on the same bathroom wall at Pace's campus near City Hall. Someone also sprayed the N-word onto a car parked at the school's Westchester County campus, cops and university sources said.

"One of our university's greatest strengths is its diversity," Pace President David Caputo wrote in a letter describing the incidents. "When speech is hurtful towards a class of people or incites violence, we must condemn it and take measures to stop it."

The copy of the Koran had been taken from the university .library before being defaced Sept. 21. It turned up in the toilet approximately two weeks ago. Today, cops will quiz the student who last withdrew the book, police sources said.

Unfortunately, university clean.ers scrubbed the repulsive scrawls off the bathroom wall before cops got a chance to view them. It's unclear if the defiled Koran was accidental, a sick prank or actually aimed at Muslims, police sources said.

Pace administrators, teachers and students met yesterday to discuss the recent incidents, which officials said do not appear to be connected.

"They're part of a larger pattern of intolerance that crops up in all society," said Pace spokesman Chris Cory.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-385542c.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
10-04-2006, 08:55 PM
This is fairly strange behavior for an institution of higher education. I would expect this sort of behavior in some isolated high school in Arkansas, but not a college campus.

wilberhum
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
This is fairly strange behavior for an institution of higher education. I would expect this sort of behavior in some isolated high school in Arkansas, but not a college campus.
Do you think hate is uniue to the uneducated? :grumbling
Do you think Arkansas is a hate center? :grumbling :grumbling

rania2820
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
i really think the islamaphobia is really getting out of hand now.what purpose does throwing a koran down the tiolet serve?nothing nothing at all.its sad to see a people acting this ignorant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Do you think hate is uniue to the uneducated? :grumbling
Do you think Arkansas is a hate center? :grumbling :grumbling
lol, no, I don't think hate is unique to the uneducated or that Arkansas is a hate center. Being from Oklahoma I don't consider my state that different from Arkansas culturally, except for the large Native American influence on the state. I was being semi-sarcastic about the Arkansas comment.

On a more serious note, while hate isn't unique to the uneducated, the college campus is now more liberal than ever. I don't know the dynamics of Pace, but the majority of colleges in the U.S. aren't know for "hate"...well, expect hatred for George W. Bush.

wilberhum
10-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Oh, you'r from Oklahoma. Now I understand. :giggling:

ishkabab
10-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Pretty pathetic i should say to whoever threw the Quran in the toilet....its pure hate...i think its just Islamaphobia ....its just pretty sad to hear people have nothing better to do than discriminate.....what a pity

Keltoi
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Oh, you'r from Oklahoma. Now I understand. :giggling:
Hey...are you picking on my state now?:uuh:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.