/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fake silk

Fishman
10-04-2006, 03:52 PM
:sl:
I know silk is haram for men to wear. But my school blazer has a fake silk lining. It has the same texture as silk, just not made of the same material. Is it haram to wear, and if it is, what do I do?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I know silk is haram for men to wear. But my school blazer has a fake silk lining. It has the same texture as silk, just not made of the same material. Is it haram to wear, and if it is, what do I do?
salam.
whats a blazer:?
w.salam

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
whats a blazer:?
w.salam
Blazer
Blazar
Blazor

akulion
10-04-2006, 04:05 PM
If its not silk then it cant be haram :)

Just like soy based meats being sold in the UK - they are vegetarian but taste just like meat...so they are 100% halal and dont need to be zabiha since its vegetable based.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:09 PM
salam.
okay i get ya, but Akhi if thats "fake" then am sure you can but than again Allah Hu A3lim!

here read this inshallah

Question:
I would like to know why men aren't allowed to wear silk, but in paradise they will?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: It should be known that Allaah, may He be exalted and glorified, is Wise in His commands and prohibitions. He does not command anything except that which is in people’s best interests and He does not forbid anything except that which is harmful. People may or may not come to understand the reasons behind these commands and prohibitions, although Allaah has His Wisdom in any given issue. Having said that, it is still not right to make following a command or prohibition dependent upon knowing the wisdom behind it; rather we should hasten to carry out the commands of sharee’ah, regardless of whether the wisdom behind it is clear to us or not. If it is clear, then praise be to Allaah, and if it is not, then the Muslim should not let the fact that he does not know it prevent him from acting in accordance with the ruling of sharee’ah. This is true submission to the command of Allaah, and Islam means submission to Allaah, may He be exalted, and obeying Him. If a person makes his actions dependent on understanding matters which may or may not convince him, he is in effect following his own thoughts and desires, not his Lord and Master.

The above does not mean that it is not important to look for the wisdom behind the rules of sharee’ah, or that doing so is forbidden, but we should not make knowing the reasons a condition for acting upon the ruling.

Secondly: there is no connection between things that are prohibited in this world and those that are allowed in the Hereafter. It is not correct to think of the Hereafter as being like this world; each realm has its own rules and laws. It is not correct to suggest that something is permitted in this world on the basis that it is permitted in Paradise or in the Hereafter, otherwise we would end up allowing things that we know from the basics of Islam are forbidden, such as drinking wine, taking more than four wives, singing etc. On this basis, the confusion reflected in the question about silk being forbidden in this world although it is permitted in Paradise should be cleared up.

Thirdly: The scholars have discussed the reasons for silk being forbidden for men in this world. For example, al-‘Allaamah Ibn al-Qayyim suggested in his brilliant work Zaad al-Ma’aad that

“Among those who believe that there is reason and wisdom (behind the rulings of Islam) – and they are the majority – are some who answer that Islam has forbidden it so that people will keep away from it and give it up for the sake of Allaah, so they will be rewarded for that. Others reply that it was basically created for women, as is the case with gold jewellery, so it was forbidden for men because it can corrupt them by making them resemble women. Some of them said that it was forbidden because of what it may lead to in the way of pride, showing off and self-admiration. Some of them said that it was forbidden because when it touches the body, it makes a man effeminate and goes against his masculinity and manliness, so if he wears it his heart gains the characteristics of femininity and softness, as is obvious, even if he was the most masculine and chivalrous of men. There is no doubt that wearing silk will diminish these manly characteristics, if not take them away altogether. Whoever is too dense to understand this should just submit to the Wise Lawmaker.”

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 4/80). And Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

The beloved prophet Mouhammad salla-llâhou ^alayhi wasallam says what means
Each one of you is a trustee (shepherd) and is accountable for that which is entrusted to him. A ruler is trustee and is accountable for his trust, a man is a trustee in respect of his family, a woman is a trustee in respect of her husband's house and children.». Narrated by alBoukhâriyy (2594). Ahmad (5287), atTirmithiyy (1806), and many others.
w,salam

P.S THIS MIGHT NOT HELP YOU BUT READ IT YOUR A MAN :D

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by akulion
If its not silk then it cant be haram :)

Just like soy based meats being sold in the UK - they are vegetarian but taste just like meat...so they are 100% halal and dont need to be zabiha since its vegetable based.
But isn't the reason why silk is prohibited because it's something that's reserved for girls? Isn't having something that's exactly the same but is just not made of the same material like drinking beer, and then saying it's halal because it's not wine?

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:13 PM
But isn't the reason why silk is prohibited because it's something that's reserved for girls? Isn't having something that's exactly the same but is just not made of the same material like drinking beer, and then saying it's halal because it's not wine?
salam.
Akhi thats what Allah has told us && we follow his commands so if that is for gyals be so && also Akhi gyals have different things to boys so yeah it doesn't mean if it's allowed for gyals its going to allowed for boys too, also put it this way gyals have different aspects to boys were not same, && about "wine" thats different to this, we as muslims are NOT allowed to drink that as it is not acceptable && also the ingredients is not allowed
w.salam

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:21 PM
salam.
Akhi thats what Allah has told us && we follow his commands so if that is for gyals be so && also Akhi gyals have different things to boys so yeah it doesn't mean if it's allowed for gyals its going to allowed for boys too, also put it this way gyals have different aspects to boys were not same, && about "wine" thats different to this, we as muslims are NOT allowed to drink that as it is not acceptable && also the ingredients is not allowed
w.salam
You posted before I had finished posting, which probably caused some confusion.

I wasn't saying that I wanted to wear silk, I was against the idea. I was saying that if something is exactly the same as a haram thing, but silghtly different, it seems strange to call that thing halal. According to that, then taking weed is halal, because it's not alcohol.

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
You posted before I had finished posting, which probably caused some confusion.

I wasn't saying that I wanted to wear silk, I was against the idea. I was saying that if something is exactly the same as a haram thing, but silghtly different, it seems strange to call that thing halal. According to that, then taking weed is halal, because it's not alcohol.

salam.
oh sowiee my bad akhi :hiding:
well humm am not sure but all i can say if it's not allowed for men then it aint Allah Hu A3lim, also is it true that men aint to wear Gold:?
w.salam

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
salam.
oh sowiee my bad akhi :hiding:
well humm am not sure but all i can say if it's not allowed for men then it aint Allah Hu A3lim, also is it true that men aint to wear Gold:?
w.salam
Yup, no gold.

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Yup, no gold.
salam.
okay Akhi shukran for letting me know, to your question just liked to say as it is fake then no it is NOT haram because

1. it is fake

2. if the lining is very silky then thats not allowed to wear

w.salam

Fishman
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
salam.
okay Akhi shukran for letting me know, to your question just liked to say as it is fake then no it is NOT haram because

1. it is fake

2. if the lining is very silky then thats not allowed to wear

w.salam
How would you define 'very silky', without using subjective terms?

Kittygyal
10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
How would you define 'very silky', without using subjective terms?
salam.
well i mean if it "real" silk which is "silky" && is not allowed for mens to wear then it's okay also as you said it's "fake" then am sure it's allowed as it is fake why would it br haram if it fake:?
w.salam

Mawaddah
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM

Silk is haram for men if the width of it exceeds the span of four fingers.

However if it's just imitation silk then there is no prohibition for that because what was prohibited is the pure and original silk.
And as long as there is nothing that comes in the Qur'an and Sunnah which makes it haram then it's not haram Insha'allah.

Mawaddah
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Here read this :

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref...n=eng&txt=silk

~Stranger~
10-04-2006, 06:54 PM
salam.
whats a blazer
w.salam

:? is that it?

F.Y.
10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
^Its like a jacket - a very smart one that is part of a uniform. Its a bit bulky too and they tend to be a little bit long. Go to yahoo/google images.

Snowflake
10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes silk is prohibited for men. But the lining of your blazer isn't silk and is not worn against your skin. You are not able to feel it's 'silkiness'. One of the reasons it's forbidden is that it can bring out the feminine side in men. (Ask male cross-dressers who love the feeling of sheer fabrics next to their skin and how it makes them feel.)

I'm sure the lining of your blazer would have no such effects on you inshaAllah. But it is a good thing that you asked about it. :thumbs_up

Rabi'ya
10-10-2006, 06:53 AM

brother, with all respect why are you trying to turn something into something else in order to prove its haraam?

your comment about drinking beer doesnt really apply here. its not relavent. actually its like drinking coke and saying because people drink coke in pubs you might as well not drink coke either ^o)

or not eating halaal chicken, because it could have been slaughtered in a non-halaal way(even tho it wasnt)

You need to ask yourself

Is the actual product silk?

If yes, then you shud refrain from wearing it.

If no, then go ahead. ive never seen evidence to say "if u think something might, or perhaps could be classed as something else then stay away from it"

However, if the material was say 50% silk and 50% something else, then it would be a different story.

Rabi'ya:rose:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.