/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A CLOSER LOOK: Muslims gather to honor Ramadan

sonz
10-05-2006, 12:30 AM
By Udeitha Srimushnam
DAILY BRUIN CONTRIBUTOR

With the sun setting on their backs, more than 100 Muslim students gathered at the loading dock behind Kerckhoff on Monday to break their fast, but before they could take their first sip of water since sunrise, they prayed.

As a fellow student led them in prayer, Shehab Ahmed, a third-year biology student, knelt with his forehead against the stone floor. He said he is thankful for this chance to be humble before God and reflect on Ramadan, the month of fasting from sunrise to sunset for Muslims to better themselves and bring themselves closer to God.

It is not an easy endeavor. He tries to get up each day before sunrise to eat and pray. He admits there are days he doesn't quite wake up for that morning prayer, and while he can make up for his missed prayer later, the opportunity to start his day with a meal is lost. He said he still goes to class and goes about business as usual.

For Ahmed, truly participating in Ramadan means living life day to day and changing small things about himself. He sees it as a way to keep something meaningful from this month with him all year.

During Ramadan, Muslims are required not only to fast but to improve themselves. They are encouraged to be more charitable and productive in addition to following the teachings of the Koran more closely.

"I try to be nice, practice generic goodness. Oh and I try to study more," Ahmed said.

Ahmed concedes it is difficult. He said he has not been successful at giving up cursing, and given his sarcastic sense of humor, he has not been able to keep himself from making fun of those around him, especially his roommates.

BRENDA VAZQUEZ/daily bruin
Muslim students join together in prayer on campus at sunset breaking fast Monday.

But he said the important thing is trying.

"I believe God will understand if I try," he said.

Ahmed's roommate, third-year biology student Abbas Anwar, expressed a similar sentiment. Anwar said he sees other Muslim students who do not fast or try to make changes in themselves, but he is quick to point out that it is not for him to judge others.

"It's about doing what we can," Anwar said.

Both Ahmed and Anwar, as well as their roommate, Muhibb Khan, a third-year economics student and advertising director for MSA, agree that observing Ramadan here at UCLA is not quite the same as being at home.

Ahmed's meals after breaking fast at home usually consisted of elaborate meals and family gatherings. For his family, like many Muslim families, Ramadan is a time to be together.

"It's like our Christmas," he said.

At UCLA, their meals aren't quite as exciting. The other day, Ahmed and Anwar broke their fast with defrosted chicken curry sent by Ahmed's mother. Ahmed said the chicken was still half frozen in the middle but since it was the only food in the apartment, it made for an interesting meal.

The three of them, however, said having each other makes Ramadan easier.

They said they have formed, in a sense, a family of their own to celebrate this month.

"It's good to have someone to go through the same thing," Ahmed said.

They said they have also found that being away from home has helped them better understand the significance of Ramadan. Ahmed points out that living with friends means there is no one to check up on him. No one would know if he had broken his fast or acted in a way he is trying to avoid.

"I could cheat easily, it's not about other people. This is my way to show myself that I believe," Ahmed said.

In fact, Anwar, Khan and Ahmed said they see this month as a gift, an opportunity to better themselves and affirm their faith.

But that is not to say it is without challenges. Even outside of the self control it takes for the three of them to avoid eating and drinking during the day, they have seen other effects to observing Ramadan.

Khan remembers not being able to eat lunch with his floormates or having enough energy to play sports with other freshmen. He said he saw a definite change in his social life.

Anwar noticed many of the same changes as a freshman but was not greatly concerned about them.

"Our faith is a way of life, it's not that much of a sacrifice," he said.

Charity is encouraged during the month of Ramadan but as students, many Muslims on campus have no income to be with charitable with. To fill that gap, MSA has organized a fast-a-thon to encourage local businesses to donate money to charity for every non-Muslim student who pledges to fast for a day.

"We want to take on the responsibility of promoting a moderate view of Islam," Khan said.

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/...s.asp?id=38208

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.