/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Obligation of a Woman Obeying her Husband

madeenahsh
06-17-2005, 08:58 PM
The Obligation of a Woman Obeying her Husband

Author: Shaikh Saalih bin Fawzaan Al-Fawzaan

Source: His book “Tanbeehaat ‘alaa Ahkaam takhtassu bil-Mu’minaat” (pg. 97-99)
Translator: abu maryam
Produced by: al-manhaj.com

It is obligatory on you O Muslim woman to obey your husband in matters of good. Abu Hurairah reported that Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “If a woman prays her five (daily) prayers and keeps her private parts chaste and obeys her husband, she will enter Paradise from any of the doors of Paradise she wishes.” [Reported by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh]

From Abu Hurairah (radyAllaahu ‘anhu), Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “It is not lawful for a woman to fast while her husband is present unless she has his permission. And she must not allow anyone in his home except with his permission.” [Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Also from Abu Hurairah (radyAllaahu ‘anhu), Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “When a man calls his wife to bed and she does not come to him, and he spends the night angry with her, the angels curse her until the morning arrives.” [Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

And in the report of Al-Bukhari and Muslim, the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “By the One in whose Hand my soul is, there is no man that calls his wife to bed and she refuses him, except that the One who is above the heavens is displeased with her until he (the husband) becomes content with her.”

From the rights the husband possesses over his wife is that she fulfills the duty of tending to his household and not coming out from it except with his permission. The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “The woman is the caretaker of her husband’s household and she will be questioned as to her responsibility.” [Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Another right he possesses over her is that she fulfills the duties of the household and that she does not make him hire a female servant, which will cause harm and due to which there will be a risk of danger for himself and his children.

Shaikh-ul-Islaam Ibn Taimiyyah (rahimahullaah) said commenting on Allaah’s saying: “Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband’s absence what Allaah orders them to guard (i.e. their chastity).” [Surah An-Nisaa: 34]: “This mandates the unrestricted obligation of a woman obeying her husband, in all affairs, such as serving him, traveling with him, assisting him and other matters, as is indicated in the Sunnah of Allaah’s Messenger.” [1]

The great scholar, Ibn Al-Qayyim, said: “Those who say that it is obligatory for the woman to serve the husband use (this ayah) as proof in that those who Allaah directed His Speech to (on this occasion) considered this to be from al-ma’roof (good). But as for the woman relaxing and having the husband serve her, sweep, grind the flour, knead the bread, wash the clothes, fix the bed, and serve the household, then that is from al-munkar (evil).

And Allaah says: ‘And they (women) have rights (over their husbands) similar to those (of their husbands) over them.’ [Surah Al-Baqarah: 228]

And Allaah says: ‘Men are the protectors and maintainers over women.’ [Surah An-Nisaa: 34]

So if a woman doesn’t serve her husband, but instead he acts like a servant to her, then this means that she is the protector and maintainer over him.”

He further said: “For indeed Allaah obligated him to spend on her, to clothe her and to provide her with a place of dwelling in exchange for his enjoying her and her serving him, as well as what the habits of the spouses call for.

Likewise, the binding marriage agreements require that the spouses live in kindness. And kindness means a woman’s serving (her husband) and taking care of the inner affairs of the household.”

And he said: “And there is no difference as to whether the woman is prestigious or lowly, or if she is poor or rich. Just look at this woman who was the most prestigious of women in the world…” [2]

He is referring to Faatimah (radyAllaahu ‘anhaa) for she would serve her husband and come to the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) complaining to him, but he would not complain about her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Footnotes:

[1] Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa (32/260-261)
[2] al-Hadee (5/188-189)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
06-17-2005, 09:07 PM
:sl:

MashAllah our own scholar on LI (lol) hehe mashAllah may Allah reward you for such a wonderful reminder

madeenahsh
06-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Asalaam alykum warahmatullahi wabarakhatuh

Akhii Fee deen SubhanAllah I am merely a miskeen , knowledge seeker
SubhanaAllah leave alone Scholar or Student of Ilm
Jazakhallah kheir for your kindness
May Allah subhanawatallah preserve you and your family and Make You be among the most beloved Servants
Barakahtuhllahi feekh

Wasallamu alykum

Arwa
06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
wa alaikum assalam wa rahamtullahi wa barakatu

ameen! ^ :sister:

Another right he possesses over her is that she fulfills the duties of the household and that she does not make him hire a female servant, which will cause harm and due to which there will be a risk of danger for himself and his children.
Why would the female servant be a danger for the children?

Jazakallah khair sharing! :applaud:

Shaikh Saalih bin Fawzaan Al-Fawzaan
Masha'Allah ^ he is top sheikh ^ :thumbs_up :applaud:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nakisai
06-17-2005, 10:04 PM
what about that of a man to his wife.

Brother_Mujahid
06-17-2005, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nakisai
then hes a chadoo *errr no i never said that*

Nakisai
06-17-2005, 10:17 PM
well to me too many people are always sayong that sister need to do this and do that what about the man what is he free to go about doing what ever they plz. well in my book they are as one.

Arwa
06-20-2005, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Arwa
wa alaikum assalam wa rahamtullahi wa barakatu

Why would the female servant be a danger for the children?

Anyone?

S_87
06-20-2005, 09:08 PM
:sl:
^^
havent a clue :S she may be of different views etc? :S

anyhow JazakAllah for the article :thumbs_up

Nakisai
06-21-2005, 01:29 AM
why is it that the brothers are the only ones posting in here.

madeenahsh
06-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Asalaam alykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

The Question Sisters is tough am not a scholar Nor Taalib Ilm.maybe its best A daèe or a Someone with more ilm to answer this .

""Another right he possesses over her is that she fulfills the duties of the household and that she does not make him hire a female servant, which will cause harm and due to which there will be a risk of danger for himself and his children"".

MY miskeen Ilm Tells me,when he hires a female servant .The Bro /Husband Man might be in danger and his kids , she might seduce him and break the hermony with his wife and might endup liking this new servant, she might not like the children or some unhealthy reasons Allah Yallam!..Obviously If the servant girl works harder then the wife he might, think she is more hardworking and his likness to his wife might be in danger. Or she might be more attractive and younger maybe ,or older and wiser ..de list in endless sisters but this is just my miskeen ilm am not scholar , Best is to Ask Scholar , Talib Ilm ,Daèe .And ppl who have more Islamic Authentic Knowledge.

I hope this helps little?
Barakatulahi feekh
Wasallama alykum
Allah knows best

Abubakar
06-22-2005, 09:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nakisai
:sl: Sister

I agree with you there is too much emphasis on a wife obeying her husband and not enough on how a husband should behve towards his wife.

I think this is a new thread.

:wa:

Umm Yoosuf
06-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Jazakallahu Khayraan for the piece of information. Something which all sisters SHOULD take into account insha Allah.

Arwa
06-22-2005, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by madeenahsh
Asalaam alykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

The Question Sisters is tough am not a scholar Nor Taalib Ilm.maybe its best A daèe or a Someone with more ilm to answer this .

""Another right he possesses over her is that she fulfills the duties of the household and that she does not make him hire a female servant, which will cause harm and due to which there will be a risk of danger for himself and his children"".

MY miskeen Ilm Tells me,when he hires a female servant .The Bro /Husband Man might be in danger and his kids , she might seduce him and break the hermony with his wife and might endup liking this new servant, she might not like the children or some unhealthy reasons Allah Yallam!..Obviously If the servant girl works harder then the wife he might, think she is more hardworking and his likness to his wife might be in danger. Or she might be more attractive and younger maybe ,or older and wiser ..de list in endless sisters but this is just my miskeen ilm am not scholar , Best is to Ask Scholar , Talib Ilm ,Daèe .And ppl who have more Islamic Authentic Knowledge.

I hope this helps little?
Barakatulahi feekh
Wasallama alykum
Allah knows best

wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

jazakallahu khairan! :D

I was thinking about this another could be she maybe a bad influence to the kids?? ? maybe? ?? *unsure*

:D

aminahshijabs
06-24-2005, 04:36 AM
I don't know if my reply didn't get added because of computer error or was deleted. I think it was computer though, so here it is.

Looking for a husband should not be taken lightly. You must be able to communicate. I don't consider the quran as saying obey your husband, the same as obeying your parents. Translation lose some meaning. If you said, "Listen to you husband, and listen to your parents". You are basically saying the same thing, but it doesn't sound so rough. So if you choose a husband that will also takes your opinion in to account it is much easier to listen to your husband.

When I am in Kuwait my opinions aren't as valid, because I am from the US. I am from Mid-West USA, there I could go up to a guy and ask directions(In a safe neighborhood) without having the guy think that I am hitting on him. While in Kuwait my husband has had to retrain me on how to act. For example, don't do this, don't to that, don't talk to anyone you don't know, don't call women by their first name call them "Mother of ...". So many rules. So I listen very carefully to what my husband tells me, and I do what he says. He still listens to be, but my reasons for not agreeing at first are not valid, because of the different culture.

Don't get me wrong, just like any place, Kuwait and the US has its good and bad points. What is good for one is not always good for another.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.