/* */

PDA

View Full Version : killing spiders?

I R Paki
10-07-2006, 12:02 PM
there are many spiders that keep coming into the house and into my room, esp daddy long legs, little flies and moths. They scare the hell out of me, i dont want to be in a room with all these insects and sometimes they come near me. they cause nuisance and build webs in my room. Am I allowed to destroy them.
whats the overall rule on killing them? theres a spider on my monitor right now.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
united
10-07-2006, 12:22 PM
How about putting them in the garden? or letting them fly out of the window?
btw i think daddy long legs are so cute.

Fishman
10-07-2006, 12:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by I R Paki
there are many spiders that keep coming into the house and into my room, esp daddy long legs, little flies and moths. They scare the hell out of me, i dont want to be in a room with all these insects and sometimes they come near me. they cause nuisance and build webs in my room. Am I allowed to destroy them.
whats the overall rule on killing them? theres a spider on my monitor right now.
:sl:
The daddy longlegs were killed off by the hurricane. Won't be many more until next year...
:w:

Snowflake
10-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Never kill spiders. By the will of Allah, they provided protection when the prophet (PBUH) took refuge in a cave when being hounded by his enemies - by weaving a web over the mouth of the cave. When the enemy saw the web they thought nobody could possibly have gone in the cave without breaking the web..so they turned away. SubhanAllah.

Sorry I don't have the source.. but it's a well known hadith.

And in any case.. spiders actually eat flies and other little blighters.. so they are useful to have around. You can just ignore them, or trap them in a jar and chuck them outside - gently.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
10-07-2006, 12:59 PM
found it as told....

Only after several months did Allah grant the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) permission to leave Makkah. Shortly before his departure, Jibreel (Angel Gabriel) told Muhammad that the Quraysh had devised a plot to stab him while he was sleeping. On the night of the planned assassination, his cousin `Ali ibn Abi Talib slept in Muhammad’s bed while the latter escaped with his friend Abu Bakr As-Siddiq to a cave south of Makkah, opposite the direction to Madinah. Fortunately for `Ali, the assassins looked at his face before stabbing him and left him alone when they realized they had been outwitted.

Muhammad and Abu Bakr hid in the cave for three days while the Quraysh searched all around Makkah. At one point, their enemies were only a few feet away outside the cave, but Allah protected them by simple everyday “miracles.” A spider spun its web across the mouth of the cave, pigeons nested and laid eggs in front of it, and the branches of a small tree blocked it. Thus the pursuers assumed no one had entered the cave recently and did not search it.
SubhanAllah :wub:

AhlaamBella
10-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I think the best thing to do is to let them outside. :\

Keltoi
10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, since we have some poisonous spiders where I live, primarily the Brown Recluse or "Fiddleback" spider. I kill these minions of the Dark Lord wherever they appear. I'm joking about the "Dark Lord", but I do kill spiders quite often. The thought of being bitten and watching my appendage rot off isn't on my life agenda.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
daddy long lgz r cute? oooomggggggg.. plz..!!!

Fishman
10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
I think they are mostly dead now.

united
10-07-2006, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
dnt u think that the way they move is so amazing? they are so "lanky" yet move so gracefully. subhanallah. same with spiders.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 07:31 PM
:-\ bro/sis u crazy serious.. da way dey move datz da mst scariest! dey fly abt n *shivers*

united
10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
im not going to dispute the crazy part. but they probably think that we move wierd, so robotic and boring.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 07:34 PM
i didnt mean crazy literally ^o)

nah dont think they bothered. they just like to scare us!

united
10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
i dnt agree with that. they just go along their way and if we're in the way than it may help to move. they wont bother you. after all, the earth belongs to all of us. you could just have been a spider had Allah willed it.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
i know but im not.

it still freaks me out..! hope i can get over that as that wud have been gd 4 me, but i dnt think dats gona happen!

united
10-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Inshallah you will get over your phobia. It may help to understand that these creatures also have feelings and feel pain just like you and me. Next time you see one of these wonderful creatures try to watch them, they also have families etc.

I R Paki
10-07-2006, 08:08 PM
For those, Im a guy. If a see a tarantula im not likely to burst out, WOW THATS SO COOL, Id rather kill it. Are there any refrences from the Quran which show or suggest we cannot kill spiders if they are causing a nuisance, anything specific?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 08:24 PM
loool ^ umm same.. i wudnt go wow, check that insect out ^o) i wudnt hav time 2 observe them il b 2 busy screamin!

united
10-07-2006, 08:25 PM
but why kill?
loads of people annoy me. i dont go around killing them all :p

MusLiM 4 LiFe
10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
i dont kill them. because i wud stay like 5metres away n never enter dat room until i kno its gonE!

united
10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
has a spider ever done anything to you?

Snowflake
10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
For those, Im a guy. If a see a tarantula im not likely to burst out, WOW THATS SO COOL, Id rather kill it. Are there any refrences from the Quran which show or suggest we cannot kill spiders if they are causing a nuisance, anything specific?
Why would you even want to kill something that's not going to hurt you? :?
They are entitled to life as much as we are.

No creature wants to die... even the ants try to protect themselves, as told in the Quran:

An ant exclaimed: 'O ants: Enter your dwellings lest Sulayman and his troops crush you because they do not understand.' 'And he (Sulayman) smiled laughing at her speech. (Surah an-Naml, 27:17-19)
so sweet subhanAllah :)

snakelegs
10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
how can you worship god and think nothing of killing his creations, even if they are no danger to you, simply because you don't like them or think they are creepy or walk funny? how do you justify this point of view?
i am really curious.
i agree 100% with Muslimah_Sis and united.

Ummah
10-07-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I think they are mostly dead now.
dude im sure that depends where u are. there's LOADS where i am (UK North), ive seen one nearly everyday this summer.. and saw one yesterday and its autmunn now!

i dont mean to kill them, and i do feel guilty straight after. but when i dont have my spider catcher to hand and there is a rlly big one coming towards me (one was in my hair once).. i have serious panic attacks and just end up killin em =(

Snowflake
10-07-2006, 08:48 PM
SubhanAllah! That's a very good question Snakelegs.

snakelegs
10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
SubhanAllah! That's a very good question Snakelegs.
:)
i would appreciate it if some people would address this issue. it puzzles me everytime it comes up.
how can you worship god and kill his creatures simply because you don't like them?
for people with specific phobias about animals, i would suggest you go to the library and read some books on the ones you don't like. the more you learn about various creatures and their adaptations, the more in awe of god you will be - so it will do 2 things - help you overcome your fears and strengthen your faith.
the vast majority of animals are completely harmless and i don't know of any creatures that want to do you harm, just for the fun of it.

afriend
10-07-2006, 11:13 PM
ah....Such wisdom :) Nicely put snakey :p [Nice/funny avatar btw ;D LOL]

*Hana*
10-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, for me, I am beyond terrified of spiders. I dread going outside in the summer, I can't enjoy my deck or sit at the patio table for fear I will see a spider. If it's a big spider, I run and then call the boy next door to come move it. If it's in a web, away from me, it's ok. As long as I know it will stay there, I'm fine. Unless you have that kind of fear, which some of you don't, then you can't possibly understand the panic that sets in. The first reaction is to get rid of it, and that normally means using the end of my shoe or bug spray.

I don't go out of my way to kill any critters, but when one suddenly appears, which spiders have a tendancy to do...it's a first reaction. By the way, it's not only the spider that scares me....I'm afraid of the webs too.

I have no fear of snakes, ants, grasshoppers, mice, bees, wasps, etc., my fear is namely with spiders and june bugs. It may seem silly to some of you but for those of us with the phobia, it's beyond terrifying. And for some of us, as I've already mentioned, it gets to the point where it interfers with our daily activities. I can't mow the lawn, or turn on the water hose, hang clothes on the line, open the shed, weed my garden, etc., etc., etc.

There's no way to explain that to someone who doesn't have the fear. You have to relate it to something you fear. Personally, I don't know how someone could kill a snake or a little mouse, but if their fear is anything like mine with spiders, I understand.

Hana

Muezzin
10-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Man invented paper, cups and open doors to aid the removal of tiny creatures he dislikes.

Fishman
10-08-2006, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
dude im sure that depends where u are. there's LOADS where i am (UK North), ive seen one nearly everyday this summer.. and saw one yesterday and its autmunn now!

i dont mean to kill them, and i do feel guilty straight after. but when i dont have my spider catcher to hand and there is a rlly big one coming towards me (one was in my hair once).. i have serious panic attacks and just end up killin em =(
Oh. Down in Nottingham there was a hurricane, which killed most of them. I still saw one quite recently, but no swarms.

united
10-08-2006, 11:01 AM
i agree with you snakelegs.
it is true that ignorance breeds fear.

I R Paki
10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
When did I ever mention I wanted to kill a spider? If you had bothered to read my first post and other posts it said, how do we handle these? Most people got the idea, then I asked where does it say that we cant? Or can? Its not really a hard question. Its the question of whether we are ALLOWED to kill a spider, where it says we cant/can or any suggestions from our holy book. None of you have even answered my question of what to do if they are becoming a nuisance. If theres are 10s or 100s of spiders in my room? What If I dont have enough paper to remove them all? Its not a phobia, I just dont like creepy crawly things and I dont think I could be in a room of 100s of spiders. Wouldnt be able to use the conviential method of destroying them or using insecticides. How hard can it be to answer that? The whole purpose of this topic was to investigate the whole idea, and you called me ignorant.

limitless
10-08-2006, 09:05 PM

If you get many spiders more than five frequently, then by all means use whatever you want to. It does not state in Qur-an to kill or not to kill spiders, it's just that people (muslims) read the hadith of the cave and interpreted that we should not kill them. If it is necessary, then by all means, if it is not necessary, then don't; which comes down to your moral belief of life of how a creature should be handled.

Personally, I am scared of spiders as well. But not a phobia, just get startled when I see them, but not too frequently I see them.

Suggestion, you should clean your room, spray the bug spray to keep the spiders from entering your room, maintain your room and do not leave any sweets, or food that may attract spiders.

DigitalStorm82
10-08-2006, 09:31 PM
You guys will not do well on fear factor lol :D

*Hana*
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
You guys will not do well on fear factor lol :D
omg, when they show the people in plastic boxes and dump spiders on them.....I have to turn the channel. I can't watch that, I wouldn't sleep for a month. :uuh:

afriend
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
lol^

It is wrong to do so!

Allah has named a surah by 'al ankabut' which means a spider :)

And another ayah has been presented which talks about the ant....The Quran....Is something that can have either no effect on you, or can effect you so much that all you ever think about is the Quran

*noor
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
what do i do if im scared of a spider and its about to bite me???

afriend
10-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Do what I do, trap it, and then once u can transport it by keeping urself safe, let it out.

Unless it's going to harm you, do not harm it.

*noor
10-08-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Do what I do, trap it, and then once u can transport it by keeping urself safe, let it out.
good method. saves feeling guilty after killing a spider.

I R Paki
10-08-2006, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

If you get many spiders more than five frequently, then by all means use whatever you want to. It does not state in Qur-an to kill or not to kill spiders, it's just that people (muslims) read the hadith of the cave and interpreted that we should not kill them. If it is necessary, then by all means, if it is not necessary, then don't; which comes down to your moral belief of life of how a creature should be handled.

Personally, I am scared of spiders as well. But not a phobia, just get startled when I see them, but not too frequently I see them.

Suggestion, you should clean your room, spray the bug spray to keep the spiders from entering your room, maintain your room and do not leave any sweets, or food that may attract spiders.

thats the best explanation..

rania2820
10-09-2006, 08:47 AM
if there are a overwhelming amount of spiders and they are starting to get into your food and drawers and sofa's.then its halah to kill them.but if its just one or two then no.unless they are poisonous as well then kill them.but spiders don't usually harm you.they actually kill off other insects like those annoying flies and roaches.

I R Paki
10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
When did I ever mention I wanted to kill a spider? If you had bothered to read my first post and other posts it said, how do we handle these? Most people got the idea, then I asked where does it say that we cant? Or can? Its not really a hard question. Its the question of whether we are ALLOWED to kill a spider, where it says we cant/can or any suggestions from our holy book. None of you have even answered my question of what to do if they are becoming a nuisance. If theres are 10s or 100s of spiders in my room? What If I dont have enough paper to remove them all? Its not a phobia, I just dont like creepy crawly things and I dont think I could be in a room of 100s of spiders. Wouldnt be able to use the conviential method of destroying them or using insecticides. How hard can it be to answer that? The whole purpose of this topic was to investigate the whole idea, and you called me ignorant.
Can you provide me the surat and spaaraa where it says this?

Snowflake
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

You're wrong about people not killing spiders because they've misinterpreted the hadith. It's out of respect not just for their right to life but out of fondness due to their role in helping to protect the Prophet (PBUH).

The Quran forbids taking a life without just cause.. fear isn't a just cause for killing any living being. Lastly, all animals are muslim and worship Allah swt just as we do. No one has the right to take that away from them.

format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
what do i do if im scared of a spider and its about to bite me???
Move out of it's way? :? :p

And unless it shouts a warning, how do you know if it is coming to bite you anyway?

DigitalStorm82
10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Chickens!! lol jk

IceQueen~
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
i'm scared of spiders but i feel really bad killing em...
i try and get someone to throw it outside for me if i find one (the only prob is my sister likes teasing me with them *shudders*)

I R Paki
10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
i like limitless's version. I want to know where he got it from though.

Fishman
10-09-2006, 07:20 PM
i like limitless's version. I want to know where he got it from though.
Bug spray is bad for the environment.

I R Paki
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Bug spray is bad for the environment.
I dont know whats worse. Destroying the environment and the world Allah gave us to live in, or killing an innocent creature Allah has created, that He has wrote in the Quran to treasure these small miracles Allah has created.

P.S - I go to your school.

Numaan
10-10-2006, 02:41 PM
scare the hell outa me azwell:grumbling

*KB*
10-10-2006, 03:36 PM
salam
brother i have the same problem and i feel guilty to say this but i kill BIG spiders and let the little spiders live is that permittable?
wasalam
*KB*
:rose:
:coolious:

Muslimah81
10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Salaams

I’m sure you’re all bored with the spider debate by now – but let me share my spider related experiences with you. I am the official ‘spider catcher’ in my household. When my brothers see a spider they start jumping around and panicking (they almost end up behaving like spiders themselves long arms and legs flailing around everywhere – oh yes and they’re in their early twenties) – I am duly commissioned whereby I get my handy jar (needs to have a big mouth) and a stiff piece of cardboard and I gently scoop the spider into the jar. I cannot bear to kill these creatures – in England the average household spider doesn’t bite. We’re just conditioned to think that they are harmful. I think the spiders are grateful for being let out safely rather than watch my brothers panic!! And I’d like to think that maybe just maybe these spiders make a dua for me when theyre 'rescued'. :wub:

Salmaan
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Do they cause you any harm? No. Then why fear them?......let them live with you in your room. :)

I R Paki
10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
The overall idea was. CAN we kill them? I dont have a problem with them, it was just a debate with my freind to see who could gather more evidence to prove his idea. Neither won, we came to the conclusion it does not state in the Quran whether you can kill spiders or not, it depends on how you interpret the Quran and the Hadith.

Salmaan
10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
I think we Muslims cannot kill them. We should not cause harm to living animals and plants.

united
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
The overall idea was. CAN we kill them? I dont have a problem with them, it was just a debate with my freind to see who could gather more evidence to prove his idea. Neither won, we came to the conclusion it does not state in the Quran whether you can kill spiders or not, it depends on how you interpret the Quran and the Hadith.
is it ok to kill another person?
what does the quran say?
the same goes for other living creatures.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.