/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giant Camel discovered? could it be Thamud???

sonz
10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
DAMASCUS, Oct 6 (Reuters) - Swiss researchers have discovered the 100,000-year-old remains of a previously unknown giant camel species in central Syria.

"This is a big discovery, a revolution in science,". Professor Jean-Marie Le Tensorer of the University of Basel told Reuters. "It was not known that the dromedary was present in the Middle East more than 10,000 years ago."

"Can you imagine? The camel's shoulders stood three metres (yards) high and it was around four metres tall, as big as a giraffe or an elephant. Nobody knew that such a species had existed."

Tensorer, who has been excavating at the desert site in Kowm since 1999, said the first large bones were found some years ago but were only confirmed as belonging to a camel after more bones from several parts of the same animal were recently discovered.

"We found the first traces of a big animal in 2003, but we were not sure it was a giant camel," he said.

A group of humans apparently killed the camel while it was drinking from a spring, said Tensorer, adding that 100,000-year-old human remains were discovered nearby at the once water-rich site in the desert steppe.

The human bones were transported to Switzerland, where they underwent anthropological analysis.

NEANDERTHAL OR HOMO SAPIENS?

"The bone is that of a homo sapiens, or modern man, but the tooth is extremely archaic, similar to that of a Neanderthal. We don't know yet what it is exactly. Do we have a very old homo sapiens or a Neanderthal?" said Tensorer.

"We expect to find more bones that would help determine what kind of man it was."

Man has been present in what is now modern Syria for 1.5 million years. The area played a key role in the migration of the first human beings towards Asia and Europe, he said.

Kowm, the site where the remains were discovered along with flint and stone weapons, is a 20-km (14 mile) wide gap between two mountain ranges that had a number of springs.

The site, which was first surveyed in the 1960s and where evidence of a 1 million-year-old human settlement has been found, is considered a "reference for early prehistory in the Near East", Basel University said in a recent research paper.

It attracted migrating herds, such as antelope, and man. Archaeological layers covering a period of several hundreds of thousands of years were discovered, which is unusual for such an open site, he said.

"It was a savannah more or less," Tensorer said. "The camels then ate probably what they eat today."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L06915082.htm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
:sl:

A group of humans apparently killed the camel while it was drinking from a spring, said Tensorer, adding that 100,000-year-old human remains were discovered nearby at the once water-rich site in the desert steppe.
That seems plausible because that is how I think the she-camel was killed. But the people of Thamud were not where they seem to be on that map because the Prophet on his expedition to Tabuk encamped there at Al-Hijr which is the location of Thamud. Tabuk is much more to the south from where this was discovered.

Muslim :: Book 42 : Hadith 7104

Ibn Shihab reported, and he had been talking about the stony abodes of Thamud, and he said: Salim b. 'Abdullah reported that 'Abdullah b. Umar said: We were passing along with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) through the habitations of Hijr, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Do not enter but weepingly the habitations of these persons who committed tyranny among themselves, lest the same calamity should fall upon you as it fell upon them. He then urged his mount to proceed quickly and pass through that valley hurriedly.

Muslim :: Book 42 : Hadith 7105

Abdullah b. 'Umar reported that the people encamped along with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) in the valley of Hijr, the habitations of Thamud, and they quenched their thirst from the wells thereof and kneaded the flour with it. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) commanded that the water collected for drinking should be spilt and the flour should be given to the camels and commanded them that the water for drinking should be taken from that well where the she-camel (of Hadrat Salih) used to come.

Zulkiflim
10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Salaam,

If i remember correctly,the camel was white right?

Was there any mention of weight or height?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
:salamext:

To The Non-Muslims

We have sent down to thee Manifest Signs (ayat); and none reject them but those who are perverse.

Surah Al-Baqarah Verse Ninety-Nine
Can they be (like) those who accept a Clear (Sign) from their Lord, and whom a witness from Himself doth teach, as did the Book of Moses before it,- a guide and a mercy? They believe therein; but those of the Sects that reject it,- the Fire will be their promised meeting-place. Be not then in doubt thereon: for it is the truth from thy Lord: yet many among men do not believe!

Surah Hud Verse Seventeen

Nay, here are Signs self-evident in the hearts of those endowed with knowledge: and none but the unjust reject Our Signs.

Surah Al-Ankaboot Verse Forty-Nine

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
10-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I thought the people were big, not the camels.
:w:

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I thought the people were big, not the camels.
well they needed some sort of transport in those days, and i feel sry for those tiny camels gettin sat on by 50 foot people lol, logically the camels must have been bigger BUT accordin to the story of Saleh (AS) that camel was a miracle bestowed to the people of Saleh but the perverted people decided to kill it thus leading to there destruction. So the camel was much larger then the actual camels of those times... which must have been HUGE !!!

Malaikah
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM

were the ppl of thamud big... i mean did they exist that long ago..?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-08-2006, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

were the ppl of thamud big... i mean did they exist that long ago..?
even if the people werent that big the camel was a miracle to the people so the camel was huge.

and the people were definitly much bigger then us, maybe not that big but still big... around 20 feet mayb :eek:

think bout it coz Adam AS was 60 ft :eek:

AvarAllahNoor
10-08-2006, 12:38 PM
What is the thamud?

Malaikah
10-08-2006, 12:46 PM
^The strongest opinion is that it is in Jordon.

P.s., incase u didnt realise, thamud was the name of the place.

Zulkiflim
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Salaam,

I thing people are going overboard,this camel may not be the sign,it just may be any ordinary camel,

So dont rpesume it is,.

according to the stories,there was no refence to the size of the camel except that is is unblemished and white(not sure,is that right)

And the size of mankind then was supposedly HUGE,so everything else likewise was huge too right?

Man-dinosaur LOL

AvarAllahNoor
10-08-2006, 02:16 PM
^The strongest opinion is that it is in Jordon.

It says 'could it be the Thamud???' so that to me appears to be the name of the discovery, no? perhaps it's mentioned in the Quran?

Malaikah
10-09-2006, 11:31 AM
I think what the person who made the title meant, "could this be the camel that was sent as a sign to the people of thamud"

because its pretty clear, and is mentioned in the Quran heaps of times, that thamud is a place, and the 'people of thamud' were tested and the destroyed cos they were evil etc... theres no doubt about it, i think you just misinterpreted the title

AvarAllahNoor
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I think what the person who made the title meant, "could this be the camel that was sent as a sign to the people of thamud"

because its pretty clear, and is mentioned in the Quran heaps of times, that thamud is a place, and the 'people of thamud' were tested and the destroyed cos they were evil etc... theres no doubt about it, i think you just misinterpreted the title
Sowwie! - So is this some form of sign of something to come in the future according to the Quran? Sorry i'm not familar with the Quran.

Salmaan
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM

thamud was the name of a tribe.

rania2820
10-09-2006, 12:23 PM
its possible.the early people(people of adam) were giants.and its says in islam the closer the time of jugdement day comes.people will shrink.so can you image people thousand of years ago people were much bigger than they were today.

IceQueen~
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
wooow!!! subhanallah that's so interesting...

i wish they'd give up the stupid evolution thingy...:rollseyes

sameer
10-09-2006, 02:02 PM
but they didnt say if the human bones that they found around the camel were giant sized. So then from that alone we can see that it ins't thamud.

Duhaa
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm not too good with Geography but I've heard that Thamud people were descendants of 'Aad who lived in South Arabia.

So my question is that is Syria in South Arabia or near it?
Don't laugh, I told you I'm not good at Geography.....

Salmaan
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Syria is a different country. It is to the north of Saudi Arabia.

IceQueen~
10-09-2006, 02:19 PM
just because the people weren't giant-size doesn't mean they are not Thamud- because in the story isn't the camel supposed to have been extra big? (a large pregnant camel who used to drink from their springs/wells or something...)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.