/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam's appeal spans many cultures

sonz
10-08-2006, 01:46 PM
By Mark Petix Staff Writer

CHINO - When the sun finally sets and the fast of Ramadan ends for the day, Luqman Malik joins the faithful at the Baitul Hameed Mosque for a feast of chicken, rice, potatoes.

And Mexican food.

Islam is a tapestry, Imam Shamshad A. Nasir says, a religion that attracts men and women of many cultures.

More Latinos are embracing the faith, said Hussam Ayloush, a Corona man who is spokesman for the Southern California chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations. While he has has no exact numbers, he said the shift is clear.

"Go to the mosque in downtown L.A. and you'll see a large number of Latinos," he said. "People are seeking a place where they feel the spirit of peace."

He said they are willing to make sacrifices to find that peace.

That includes Latinos like Malik, a Catholic by birth, who found solace in Islam in the days after Sept. 11, 2001.

He was in college, and didn't like the way his Muslim friends were being treated.

"People were saying they were not good people," he said. "That's not true."

It made him want to learn more about Islam, and he found himself drawn to its teachings and traditions. After much study and thought, the 26-year-old

Chino man decided to convert.

Malik comes from a traditional Catholic family.

"When I told my mom, she was like, `I don't see it,"' he said. "I actually had to move out of the house. My brothers and sisters were not pleased. I left home to make it easier."

After about a year, his family accepted his conversion.

"They saw a transformation in my life," he said. "I married just the past year, to a very traditional Muslim lady."

Malik has embraced his new religion, including the monthlong fast of Ramadan, when all but the young, sick, pregnant, nursing or those on a journey are expected to abstain from food and water from sunrise to sunset.

Malik said it isn't easy. An inspector for an aerospace company, Malik says he likes to work out and usually drinks plenty of water each day.

"My first year, it was pretty rough," he said. "Now I accept it."

Nasir said it is not supposed to be easy.

"This is called sacrifice," he said.

Nasir said Ramadan is a time of reflection.

"The idea is to spend as much time at the mosque as possible - to pray and to learn," he said. "To study and be peaceful, because this is the purpose of the Ramadan."

During Ramadan, the mosque is the focus of the faithful. Every evening they gather for the prayer that breaks the fast.

Then as many as 300 men and women will gather in separate areas of the Chino mosque to eat the meal prepared by a different family each night.

There will be more prayers later and a talk given by Nasir on a different religious topic each night.

But for about 40 minutes, the faithful fill empty bellies and rejoice at the simple goodness of hot meal.

Nasir said it is a joyous time.

"We feel happy we have done something for God," he said. "We are obeying the command of God, so it makes me happy."

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_4454856

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zulkiflim
10-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Salaam,

Saw a video on You tube shot in Ireland about Islam and the west.

there was a debate where an apostate explained why he covnerted to chrisitanity form Islam,while another white woman said she covnerted for Islam is peace.

the apostate said,he covnerted for Islama dn muslim carry out terrible acts like suicide bombing and war .

When asked,the woman said these are not taught in Islam,an Imam tell her that your knowledge of Islam is short.

The Prophet Muhammad pbuh went to war and fought for Peace,if he did not fight peace would have never been for the Quraishy would have decimated the muslim then.

The order to fight comes,muslim must fight in defence.The white convert was taken aback,not realiszing this.

The Imam tell her,Islam is life,we have rules for war and times of peace,in every facet of life we have rules.

Now the moderate muslim,will not fight when they see the Ummah ebign bombed and killed,but stay their hands,and say this is not Islam.

while the extremist muslim fight and murder wihout thought and say it is Islam.

Both forget Peace is is the end,fighting is the mean.

As Allah say,DO NOT FIGHT THEM IF THEY STOP,BUT FIGHT THEM EVEN IN THE HOLY PLACES IF THEY TRANGRESS.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.