/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yusuf Islam/ Cat Stevens

glo
10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, is releasing a new album - after retiring form the secular music business two years after his conversion to Islam in 1977. The only exception he made was early in 2005, when he wrote the song "Indian Ocean", the proceeds of which went to help Tsunami victims in the Indian Ocean.

I wonder what made him return to secular music?

I heard one of his new songs on the radio just now. "Heaven/Where True Love Goes", which has a clear religious/spiritual content ... and is not dissimilar to some Christian worship music I have heard.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003118148

I have always liked Cat Stevens' music. He has a wonderful voice - so I am looking forward to hearing his new material.

Peace :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BlissfullyJaded
10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
I have no idea why he returned to secular music... I guess thats what ultimately appeals to his heart. :)

Out of curiousity, will it be using musical instruments?

glo
10-08-2006, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
I have no idea why he returned to secular music... I guess thats what ultimately appeals to his heart. :)

I don't know.
I think he used to play the guitar.

~Stranger~
10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
:sl:

i heard him saying he wants to release a new album for dawah and promote islam and stuff

i really hope he doesnt use musical instruemnts but i think he does, saddly

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
10-08-2006, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

i heard him saying he wants to release a new album for dawah and promote islam and stuff

i really hope he doesnt use musical instruemnts but i think he does, saddly

So singing would be alright? But playing an instrument would not?

I cannot honestly say what, if any instruments were played in the song I heard, but the music had a pretty 'Western' feel to it - not unlike his old music from 30 years ago ...

Peace

akulion
10-08-2006, 06:00 PM
well i doubt it will be like that

or else he will lose his status as a sheikh within seconds

BlissfullyJaded
10-08-2006, 06:06 PM
glo, although some of the scholars nowadays believe that instruments are permitted, the correct view is that it is not permitted. There is no prohobition on singing, unless the content of the song is innappropriate. lol

Yusuf Islam has used a guitar in the past, when singing Taala al Badru Alayna to a UAE crowd. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he is now of the view that it is halal..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...am/5375714.stm

Arwa
10-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah, apparently it was in the Saudi newspapers that he had returned to music .. hmm

azim
10-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Asalaamu alaykum.

I believe that in his new album - Yusuf Islam is using instruments. He was originally very strongly attached to the view that musical instruments were forbidden, but after some time he has accepted the view that it is permissable depending on content and aim of the song.

Regardless of whether we agree with the point of view of musical instruments or not, we should respect him and be careful of what we say (things can easily lead to backbiting). The brother has worked extremely hard for the cause of Islam in the UK.

Regarding his return to 'secular' music - I don't beleive it is so much 'secular'. I was watching a show on tv about him, he said his new album is about Islam, but explores different and more broad facets of it.

Pk_#2
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
AsalamuAlaykum,

i thought guitars were allowed, i like his songs they are cool, as the brother above has said he has done a lot to promote Islam, so s all good :)

...InshaAllah.

DigitalStorm82
10-09-2006, 01:23 AM
only duff (type of drum) is allowed.

snakelegs
10-09-2006, 10:19 PM
from what i've read yes, he does use musical instruments.
quick! [MOUSE]call the takfir brigade![/MOUSE]

~Stranger~
10-09-2006, 10:22 PM

i wish but ppl would still argue music isnt haraam.... may Allah guide him if he does use it

look at u snakeleg- u know some islamic words

azim
10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~Stranger~

i wish but ppl would still argue music isnt haraam.... may Allah guide him if he does use it

look at u snakeleg- u know some islamic words

Asalaamu alaykum.

Brother, on the issue of music I've found just not debating it be the best option. It causes fitnah and disunity and ill feelings between brothers in religion.

There is a story about two students of Abu Hanifa who were arguing about the nature of the Quran (uncreated or created). When Abu Hanifa found them arguing, instead of correcting the incorrect student - he admonished them both to stop arguing and leave the debate.

Also, remember the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and hadith where Gibrael (as) came to the Prophet and informed him that all Muslims will eventually go heaven. The Prophet (pbuh) astonished enquired - even the adulterer? even the liar? (and one other I forgot audhubilla). The judgement of our brothers is left to Allah, we should seek unity and love between ourselves and leave issues of fiqh to the scholars.

DigitalStorm82
10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Here is a link for you guys... its all videos...

Here is an interview regarding his new album...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...uf+islam&hl=en

How Cat Steven reverted to Islam
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20

another interview
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17

snakelegs
10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
The judgement of our brothers is left to Allah, we should seek unity and love between ourselves and leave issues of fiqh to the scholars.
i agree with this.
i do not want to start a debate - it seems silly and those threads always get closed anyway.
i assume his intention is just to reach more people with his music.

DigitalStorm82
10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I think if you watch the video interview I posted... you'll understand his "music" is Halaal...

syilla
10-10-2006, 01:06 AM
i love yusuf islam's song...especially for the kids... :X

glo
10-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Which song is that, Syilla?

I really liked "Heaven/Where True Love Goes" - it was like a love song dedicated to God. Neither advocating the Muslim or Christian faith, nor any other ... but just expressing a love for God! :)

Peace

Hijrah
10-26-2006, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah

Even his songs about Islam contain Musical Instruments!

Umar001
11-05-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
I think if you watch the video interview I posted... you'll understand his "music" is Halaal...
Assalamu Aleykum.

Explain it to me, I watched one, and it seemed like it was just his life and so on, please help.

The Ruler
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM

i heard about that in school and was wondering...:hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.