/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is cracking your joints bad for you??

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
10-09-2006, 11:44 PM
I got a habbit of cracking my fingers and by back and neck when it feels stiff.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
habiibti
10-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Assalamu aleikum

I crack ma fingers and neck too,and ma mum hates it wen i do.

she always says it is bad for u but i nevercame around to ask how.so i am gald u asked this,maybe i mght know too.

InToTheRain
10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
:sl:

I heard it increases your chances of suffering from artheritis, combined with repetetive strain injury due to typing in LI = :heated:

azim
10-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

Medically speaking (from what I've been told by doctors btw, I'm not a med student at all) its fine. Popping is just pockets of air escaping from your cartilage. IT DOES NOT CAUSE ATHRITIS (sp?).

Beyond that, I don't know. I've some says its the 'dhikr of the devil'...although I was like 5 when I told this so I'm not sure how true it is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-09-2006, 11:52 PM
lol yea i heard it causes artheritis. But i cant help it >.< lol

InToTheRain
10-09-2006, 11:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
lol yea i heard it causes artheritis. But i cant help it >.< lol
Jihad un nafs sis, jihad un nafs...

akulion
10-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Does 'cracking' your joints cause or accelerate arthritis?

No.

The cracking sound comes from the release of gas in the lubricating fluid in the joints.

Arthritis is the deterioration of the cartilage and the eventual fusing of the bones.

-------------------------------

What causes joints to crack?

Joints crack when the small air bubbles that forms a sac between your joints pop. These sacs act as cushions in the space between your bones. They also help to keep them lubricated.

Asked if persistently cracking your joints causes arthritis, Marshall says, "No. This is one of those cases where your mom isn't right. There is no medical evidence that proves cracking your knuckles will lead to arthritis."

CBS
Answerbag.com

Woodrow
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
It is like all things. If done to excesse it can become an addictive habit. That would be considered bad.

As far as any physical damage, I have never found any evidence to indicate it causes any physical harm, unless you want to count being whacked with a book by Miss Zatkis (My 5th Grade teacher), any time you do it when she is talking. (that was in 1949, she made quite an impact on me and I still have the bruises to prove it)

Hijrah
10-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I heard it's good for you!

kraze
10-20-2006, 10:45 PM
sallam-a-laycome,

what is between our fingers is muscle, when you crack your fingers or knees or anby other bones over a long period of time then the natural lubrication of these joints disappears which causes distress aka a feeling of heavyness in ones joints. This can be uncomfortable and it does make you feel less flexible. I am 22 yrs old and have been cracking my fingers, back, big-toes, neck, knees and hips for a long time and its showing now lol I feel a heavy feeling in my joints, but I can't help it . .i have to crack them to relieve the strain! eventually what will happen is the natural lubrication will disappear and I will end up grinding the bones i.e. without the lubrication which will result in arthiris.

hope this helps

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
10-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Nah man don't worry bro...you making sound as if all your bodyparts are going to fall apart lol...

But I know what you mean about the strain *Crack crack click*

Woodrow
10-21-2006, 04:19 AM
I just found a health hazard to your cracking. The noise is hurting my ears. I had to post something to get my sig here.

MahmoodShariff
10-22-2006, 02:40 AM
aswrwb,

JK the information was helpful.

Mawaddah
10-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Poor Woodrow is bothered by various sounds of clicking for some reason :giggling:

There was this boy I knew once, he claimed that cracking fingers is what made a boy strong enough to be a man :rollseyes

I used to crack my fingers and toes before, but then due to my moms incessant yelling, I tried to stop, and I experienced that same 'heaviness' but alhamdulillah now I hardly do it :)

And yes it's bad for you :p

Dhulqarnaeen
11-07-2006, 07:30 AM
I have a bad habit, I use to crack my neck, and fingers till it sound "crack" :heated: . I know its bad but I dont have a strong hujjah why is this bad. Does anyone have information about this?!? Jazakumullah khair.

north_malaysian
11-07-2006, 07:39 AM
it is bad?:rollseyes

When I was in primary school, my Chinese teacher warned us not to 'crack' our fingers or in future we cant wear wedding rings. (This is Chinese superstitious belief).

I dont know that Islam is against this.

Dhulqarnaeen
11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
it is bad?:rollseyes

When I was in primary school, my Chinese teacher warned us not to 'crack' our fingers or in future we cant wear wedding rings. (This is Chinese superstitious belief).

I dont know that Islam is against this.
:D Its bad bro, and not according chines supertitious, but scientifically I heard its bad. But I want to have a clear explanation about this, insha Allah.
Jike antum tak bisa pakai wedding ring then just beri ajee seperangkat alat sholat ;D

Firdaus
11-07-2006, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dhulqarnaeen
I have a bad habit, I use to crack my neck, and fingers till it sound "crack" :heated: . I know its bad but I dont have a strong hujjah why is this bad. Does anyone have information about this?!? Jazakumullah khair.

Even i've that bad habit of cracking fingers:uuh: . But it's not good, i've heard and it's true that by cracking thy fingers, it gives shaitwaan great pleasure.... Hence we should stop.

:w:

north_malaysian
11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
:D Its bad bro, and not according chines supertitious, but scientifically I heard its bad. But I want to have a clear explanation about this, insha Allah.
Jike antum tak bisa pakai wedding ring then just beri ajee seperangkat alat sholat ;D
We can alter our wedding rings!!! But seriously... never heard about its bad effect scientifically ... care to provide links?

Umar001
11-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Well there was a thread saying it was good scientifically, a thread on here, aparently it is good to do it. search for it!

Assalamu Aleykum.

Dhulqarnaeen
11-07-2006, 08:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
We can alter our wedding rings!!! But seriously... never heard about its bad effect scientifically ... care to provide links?
If I have the link then I dont have to make this thread yaa akhi! :uhwhat

Dhulqarnaeen
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Firdaus
Even i've that bad habit of cracking fingers:uuh: . But it's not good, i've heard and it's true that by cracking thy fingers, it gives shaitwaan great pleasure.... Hence we should stop.

:w:
Really sis? Well...we need daleel then sis, maybe you can provide daleel from hadith insha Allah

Dhulqarnaeen
11-07-2006, 08:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Well there was a thread saying it was good scientifically, a thread on here, aparently it is good to do it. search for it!

Assalamu Aleykum.
Really...it really against what I know after all this time. Maybe the mod can show me the thread, insha Allah.

Umar001
11-07-2006, 08:55 AM
I use to think ti was bad too i dont know now.

Pk_#2
11-07-2006, 09:13 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...acking+fingers

^^

Mawaddah
11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Cracking your joints ?

I cannot stand people who crack their joints :mad:
I have a friend who cracks her neck and back everytime she stands up, and I give her a pinch for each one :D

Too much of it is bad Akhi, just as too much of anything is bad.....you can't really take this scientific stuff (I think) because they are always differing :rollseyes

But just to be on the safe side, stop cracking your joints :)

IbnAbdulHakim
11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
i use to hear that it causes arthiritis cause the ligaments blah blah or somethin neway, jus dont do it :D

i also heard a myth that the shaytaan enters through the cracks when you crack your fingers ;D still havent seen proof for that :rant:

Firdaus
11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Really sis? Well...we need daleel then sis, maybe you can provide daleel from hadith insha Allah

In a "khudbah" my brother had told me that shaitwaan is happy when we crack fingers. And another thing by cracking fingers, it's bad effect will be that our fingers will grown bigger (if fingers stay slim it's more good:) )

Snowflake
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, my dad used to crack his fingers and it never did him any harm. Unfortunately I picked up his habit and when I got married my husband would slap my hand every time I cracked my fingers lol. I soon stopped. :giggling:

Mawaddah
11-09-2006, 06:59 PM
^ lol at your husband slapping your fingers :giggling:

with me it would be the opposite I think, I'd be the one slapping my husbands fingers:p (if he cracks them of course)

My father used to crack his fingers ever since he was an itsy bitsy little kid and now his finger joints ache really badly all the time and the joints are swollen like......I wonder whether it's because of all that cracking? :?

amirah_87
11-13-2006, 12:10 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

I heard that Cracking your finger-joints Leads you to have Shakey Hands!! :uuh:

I crack my toes (:p), does that^ still apply to me? :?

Mawaddah
11-13-2006, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Lol Khablah!!! ;D ;D

You know what I meant.. ;D ;D

Hahahaaa :lol:

Wallah kayf tu'ayyibnee, wa tu-quotenee wa taktubuhuu bi-bold Wa Tukabbirhuu!!.. wacth mon!! ;D
That's a really small recompense for what you did to me innit ;D ;D Oh yeah, and it's bad to crack your feet fingers ;D ;D

amirah_87
11-13-2006, 02:18 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Yeah Yeah, Haar-De-Haar-Haar!!!;D ;D

.....& it's bad? how? :?

Waysh Fa'altu bik? :D

Muslim Knight
11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm very fond of wearing rings and I've discovered why it is a bad habit to crack one's fingers. Over time instead of being straight the joints can become a little bit crooked and it will be difficult to slip on a ring. For example a straight finger would appear like this;

| |
| |
| |
| |

While the finger with crooked joint will appear like this;

| |
| |
< >
| |
| |

Just speaking from my experience. Other than that I've known no other bad consequence of cracking fingers. Just look at my avatar and you'll see why it will become difficult to slip on a ring when you have a slightly crooked joint.

Snowflake
11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
^LOL@before an after diagram :haha:

here's one I made earlier lol

...| |
...| |
..(.. )
...| |

with me it would be the opposite I think, I'd be the one slapping my husbands fingers (if he cracks them of course)
:D :thumbs_up

LUVAR
11-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Allahu Alim

Dhulqarnaeen
11-14-2006, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ lol at your husband slapping your fingers :giggling:

with me it would be the opposite I think, I'd be the one slapping my husbands fingers:p (if he cracks them of course)

My father used to crack his fingers ever since he was an itsy bitsy little kid and now his finger joints ache really badly all the time and the joints are swollen like......I wonder whether it's because of all that cracking? :?
Lol....maybe your husband will hit your finngers back yaa ukhty :D :happy:
And your father had that...?? WOW...I sometimes feel hurt too in my fingers wallahi, and few weeks ago I felt it and its dissapeared. But from I read from our guys post, ITS BAD Im sure, I think its ijma' of this thread yee? :D
Or maybe theres another opinion? Im very interested in daleel that said the shaytan happy if we cracked the fingers?
And Im wondering wether cracking the fingers in jumuah prayers included bad activity?...you know ... its bad playing with stone right when jumuah ?

Dhulqarnaeen
11-14-2006, 02:09 AM
:D
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
I'm very fond of wearing rings and I've discovered why it is a bad habit to crack one's fingers. Over time instead of being straight the joints can become a little bit crooked and it will be difficult to slip on a ring. For example a straight finger would appear like this;

| |
| |
| |
| |

While the finger with crooked joint will appear like this;

| |
| |
< >
| |
| |

Just speaking from my experience. Other than that I've known no other bad consequence of cracking fingers. Just look at my avatar and you'll see why it will become difficult to slip on a ring when you have a slightly crooked joint.
The fingers can be like that?!?!? :cry: Ooh...I am not wearing rings :D
How about cracking the necks yaa akhi? How the neck will look like?

Dhulqarnaeen
11-14-2006, 02:16 AM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

I heard that Cracking your finger-joints Leads you to have Shakey Hands!! :uuh:

I crack my toes (:p), does that^ still apply to me? :?
Do U mean like Muhammad Ali? Do U mean like someone who have parkinson?
And I also crack my feet fingers (Im sorry, what do we call feet fingers? Is it have specific names too? ...lol silly me. I really dont know), and I dont have to use my fingers (I mean hand fingers) to crack it. I can crack it with my foot

Muslim Knight
11-14-2006, 05:27 AM
:D

The fingers can be like that?!?!? :cry: Ooh...I am not wearing rings :D
How about cracking the necks yaa akhi? How the neck will look like?
Cracking neck can be pleasureable, but don't do it too hard. You might kill yourself commando-style.

On second thoughts, don't do it frequently either. My friend got this thing and it hurts for years. I don't know what it is.

amirah_87
11-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Do U mean like Muhammad Ali? Do U mean like someone who have parkinson?
And I also crack my feet fingers (Im sorry, what do we call feet fingers? Is it have specific names too? ...lol silly me. I really dont know), and I dont have to use my fingers (I mean hand fingers) to crack it. I can crack it with my foot
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Lol, Same here Akhee!! :eek: :lol:

and feet-fingers are called toes according to Mawaddah!! :mmokay:

I don't know what it's actually called (that condition).. but it's abit like that (parkinsons).. Trembly, shakey.. etc! :)
only that's the nervous sytsem, I don't think that's this one's case!

Mawaddah
11-14-2006, 09:17 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

Lol, Same here Akhee!! :eek: :lol:

and feet-fingers are called toes according to Mawaddah!! :mmokay:

I don't know what it's actually called (that condition).. but it's abit like that (parkinsons).. Trembly, shakey.. etc! :)
only that's the nervous sytsem, I don't think that's this one's case!
Oh? It's only according to me now? ;D ;D Jokerrrrrrrrrr :p

Well......I can't stand the sound of people cracking their joints, but sometimes when I sit for too long and then stand up, my knees and hipbones crack realllllllly loud :offended:

And sometimes my toes crack too........all by themselves imsad

No No.....I mean my feet fingers crack all bythemselves ;D

Latey
11-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey
I work on a othopedic hospital and the reasen for the crackin sound is when the jointsurfaces are being pulled from eachother and the space between are incresed to 1-4 mm, a subpressure will turn up in the joint in apr. 2½ atmosphere. The subpressure creates a cavity in the jointfluid and the sound comes when the fluid fills up this cavity. Much like the sound of lightning - this is because the electricty pushes a hole in the air and then the air "slaps" together again.

Latey
11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Ther are no documnetation yet in sience that any longterm ore acut damages acures because of this

Mawaddah
11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
^ So it's basically bad for you right? :?

Latey
11-14-2006, 09:25 PM
i meen - no longterm damage to the actual joint - the damage from getting slapped from people around because of irritation, I do not know anything abaot !1

:)

amirah_87
11-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Latey,

That's Really Interesting... :eek:

Thanks for sharing that with Us!! :)

Mawaddah
11-14-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Latey
i meen - no longterm damage to the actual joint - the damage from getting slapped from people around because of irritation, I do not know anything abaot !1

:)
So how do we explain it when people who have been cracking their joints for a long time complain of aching joints, swelling joints, stiff joints etc? :?

Abu Ibraheem
11-14-2006, 09:29 PM
here's one I made earlier lol

...| |
...| |
..(.. )
...| |
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I tend to crack my fingers - maybe its not permissable in Salah - whoever made the claim has the burden of proof of finding this hadith and kindly showing us. I would certainly try to stop once shown the daleel.

Latey
11-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Could be a number of things
- maybe they would have jointtroubles anyway, a lot of people (young and old) have this because of their workhabbit, diets or other things.
- maybe they hurt the small veins around the joint when streching the fingers.
- maybe they do hurt the joints with the cracking, there are just no evidence in sience, yet.

Mawaddah
11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
^ Ah, see, just because there is no scientific evidence doesn't mean that we can't say that cracking the joints doesnt actually hurt it right? :D

I mean, usually scientific findings contradict each other anyway!! :giggling:

So I stick with the old saying that cracking the joints is bad for you :mmokay:

Latey
11-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Mawaddah
I tend to agree with you on that one, just because I did not yet have seen proof for the harming in cracking - I really don't believ that overbeding a joint can be healthy !

(And it is more than irritating to listening to) :-(

Dhulqarnaeen
11-15-2006, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Oh? It's only according to me now? ;D ;D Jokerrrrrrrrrr :p

Well......I can't stand the sound of people cracking their joints, but sometimes when I sit for too long and then stand up, my knees and hipbones crack realllllllly loud :offended:

And sometimes my toes crack too........all by themselves imsad

No No.....I mean my feet fingers crack all bythemselves ;D
:D Me too...knees and...waist. But my waist only cracking if I swing it and not by it self. And if I dont swing it, it will feel "ngilu". What do U call ngilu in english yee? :rollseyes

Al-Zaara
12-26-2006, 11:27 AM

**Off topic posts deleted and threads merged**

Jayda
01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I got a habbit of cracking my fingers and by back and neck when it feels stiff.
hola DaNgErOuS MiNdS,

cracking your joints will not give you arthritis... but it can misplace synovial fluid (it can also get inflamed), stretch ligaments and other bad things so you should not do it... deliberately, if you feel pressure on the joint and you feel like it is out of place it is not unhealthy to pop it back into place... but still not recommended. i think if you are having stiffness issues with your back and neck you should talk to a chiropractor... your body tries to compensate for out of place joints (by changing your gait for example) and generally it does not do it well and will lead to other problems and pains, it might be that your back pain is because of your neck pain...

Dios te bendiga

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.