/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Mosques Attract Children

sonz
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
ISTANBUL — Many children who used to prefer playtime to praytime are increasingly being attracted to mosques, especially during the holy fasting month of Ramadan, thanks to comprehensive programs being prepared for them, including prizes.

Fatih Yalmez, 11, does not miss a single prayer at the Yeni Sahir mosque in the eastern city of Şanlıurfa.

He competes with grown-ups in coming early to the mosque to secure a place in the first row behind the imam, said to have special rewards from God.

"I love coming all the way to this mosque five times a day, though it's not very close to home" says a visibly excited Yalmez.

The 11-year-old is not only keen on performing the five congregational prayers but also tuning in to pos-prayer sermons and brief lectures.

"I really like the imam and his nice style is music-to-the-ear."

Creative

Iimam Yazar's daily sermons draw up to 150 children and youths.

Yalmez is not the only kid excited about going to the mosque.

Many children who used to lay near the mosque at the time of prayers or used to miss on some prayers are coming in droves.

"We have outlined a comprehensive program to draw children and youngsters to the house of God," said Mohamet Yazar, the imam of Yeni Sahir mosque.

"The young generation will be tomorrow's leaders and we want to link them to the mosque," he added.

Like many mosques across the country, Yeni Sahir mosque encourages youths and children to attend and contest in Qur'anic and hadith contests.

Yazar, whose daily sermons draw up to 150 children and youths, said they had to come up with some creative ways to attract children and fill their leisure time.

"We give some gifts to those who come for the five congregational prayers and those who have memorized some parts of the Qur'an and hadith."

This creativity is winning the hearts and minds of many.

"May room is now full of gifts like wrest watches, wallets and valuable religious books," boasts 11-year-old Yalmez.

"I share them with my brothers and my friends."

Wakeup

But it s not only children who are increasing attracted to mosque in secular Turkey young Turks are also tuning in.

"I'm always keen to perform my five daily prayers at mosques," said Mohamet Yasar, 20.

"When I pray at mosques, I feel an overwhelming sense of self-satisfaction and re-charge my battery," added an enthusiastic Yasar.

"I really found the peace of heart when I became a practicing Muslim."

The Ministry of Religious Affairs has dispatched hundreds of preachers and imams to mosques nationwide to cope with the growing number of the faithful who attend sermons following the Tarawih prayer.

"Youths are coming in droves to the mosques to attend post-prayer sermons and lessons," preacher Otman Unlu said.

"I'm approached by a growing number of curious youths who want to learn more about their religion."

Approximately 99 percent of Turkey's population are Muslim, the majority of whom are Sunni.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2006-10/09/03.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
habiibti
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Assalamu aleikum

masha Allah.I think that idea might work in our community masjid.

InToTheRain
10-10-2006, 12:11 AM
:sl:

Masha'allah, we need more Imams like Mohamet Yaser. Giving gifts etc to get them to study unlike some who wack the hand when you get something wrong.

The brothers and sisters are experiencing the sweetness of faith, Mash'Allah.

Skillganon
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Well, it is nice to know out of 99% some are making better efforts. Maybe dropping the English alphabet will be a start.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rania2820
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
mashallah.turkey needs youth like them.because there are so many so-called muslims in turkey who want the goverment to stop having the athan called out loud.and they always want ot remove masjids in some parks!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.