/* */

PDA

View Full Version : U.S army kills civillian by targeting their vehicles in Iraq

InToTheRain
10-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Lloyd video shown for first time

Veteran war reporter Terry Lloyd died in Iraq in March 2003
Video of the aftermath of an attack in which ITN reporter Terry Lloyd died has been shown in public for the first time at an inquest into his death.
The US video shows American tanks and soldiers inspecting the wreckage of Mr Lloyd's 4x4.

But the inquest, in Oxford, was told by the coroner that the footage appeared "to have been edited".

Mr Lloyd, 50, died from an American bullet near Basra in southern Iraq on 22 March 2003, the inquest heard.

The footage shown to the court was taken by a cameraman attached to the tank unit alleged to have fired on Mr Lloyd's convoy and was given to the Royal Military Police by American authorities some months after the incident.

A forensic video expert who looked at a tape estimated that 15 minutes of film may have been cut from the beginning.

Major Kay Roberts, of the Royal Military Police, said she was told by the Americans that the footage they handed over was "everything that they had".

Vehicle 'shot at'

Earlier, the inquest heard colleagues of Mr Lloyd were put into an Iraqi truck just before it was hit by gunfire from US tanks.

Lebanese interpreter Hussein Osman was killed and the remains of French cameraman Fred Nerac were never found.

Mr Nerac and Mr Osman were driving behind Mr Lloyd and cameraman Daniel Demoustier when they came across an Iraqi convoy at the Shatt Al Basra bridge. They turned around, but the Iraqi soldiers caught them up and forced Mr Osman to pull over.

Maj Roberts told the inquest that witnesses said Mr Nerac and Mr Osman were taken out of their marked TV car and put into the back of a pick-up truck.

Mr Lloyd and Mr Demoustier waited in the car in front.

She was told the vehicle was part of a convoy carrying Saddam Hussein's Baath Party leader to Iraq's second city, Basra.

Witnesses said the pick-up truck was shot at and exploded, said the major.

"Both were blown out and away from the vehicle and sustained serious lower limb injuries," she said.

Maj Roberts said Mr Nerac was "unlikely to have survived" if witnesses were to be believed.

Derby-born Mr Lloyd was hit by an Iraqi bullet then an American bullet hit him in the head and killed him outright as he was being evacuated by minibus to hospital, the inquest has been told.

His body was returned to his family in Cuddington, Buckinghamshire. Mr Demoustier survived the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6037171.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Joe98
10-10-2006, 10:37 PM
This purpose of this post is to make the US look bad. But you failed.

During the war, the Iraqi army was moving a convoy and it was attacked by the US. End of stroy.

InToTheRain
10-10-2006, 10:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
During the war, the Iraqi army was moving a convoy and it was attacked by the US. End of troy.
Naah, watch the movie again you got it all wrong. The greek use a wooden horse filled with its army to invade troy at the end.

Muezzin
10-13-2006, 02:24 PM
US forces unlawfully killed a British television journalist in the opening days of the Iraq war, a coroner ruled on Friday.

Deputy Coroner Andrew Walker said he would ask the attorney-general to take steps to bring to justice those responsible for the death of Terry Lloyd, 50, a veteran reporter for the British television network ITN.

"Terry Lloyd died following a gunshot wound to the head. The evidence this bullet was fired by the Americans is overwhelming," Walker said.

Witnesses testified during the weeklong inquest that Lloyd - who was driving with fellow ITN reporters from Kuwait toward Basra, Iraq - was shot in the back by Iraqi troops who overtook his car, then died when US fire hit an ambulance and struck him in the head.

"There is no doubt that the minibus presented no threat to the American forces. There is no doubt it was an unlawful act of fire upon the minibus," Walker said.

The US Embassy in London said it had no immediate reaction to the ruling.

Lloyd and three other ITN crew members were some of the few Western reporters who covered the fighting on their own, while most others were embedded with US or British forces.

Lloyd's widow, Lynn, in a statement read by her lawyer, said US forces "allowed their soldiers to behave like trigger happy cowboys in an area in which there were civilians travelling".

She called the killing a war crime - "a despicable, deliberate, vengeful act".
Lebanese interpreter Hussein Osman also was killed in the ITN crew, and cameraman Fred Nerac remains missing and presumed dead. Only ITN cameraman Daniel Demoustier survived.

"In my opinion, the US forces involved should be prosecuted for war crimes," Demoustier said following the ruling.

He said the inquest did not make clear whether the bullet that killed Lloyd was fired by a US tank or helicopter. He said the forces in a tank would have been able to see they were firing at a civilian vehicle, but a helicopter would not.

Demoustier, a Belgian, had told the inquest that ITN's two four-wheel drive vehicles were overtaken by a truck carrying Iraqi forces and that gunfire erupted.

"The hell broke loose completely. I was absolutely sure I was going to die," Demoustier told the inquest. Driving blindly in smoke, Demoustier said he realised the passenger door was open and Lloyd was gone.

Petrol cans they were carrying on the roof of the vehicle ignited, and Demoustier said he leaped from the car just before it exploded.

He lay in the sand, waiting for the shooting to stop. Demoustier said he tried to stand to signal US tanks in the area, but that they resumed firing at the clearly marked ITN vehicles.

Demoustier said he saw a Red Crescent ambulance arrive and pick up people. He was later rescued in the car of a British newspaper reporter.

US authorities did not allow servicemen to testify at the inquest. Several submitted statements the coroner ruled inadmissible.

The court watched a video on Tuesday, filmed by a US serviceman attached to one of the tanks accused of firing at the reporters' cars. The tape opens with images of Lloyd's vehicle and the Iraqi truck burning amid gunfire. The tanks drive to the cars and inspect them. A minivan - which may have served as the ambulance - appears and more shots are fired.

At the end of the tape, a US soldier shouts, "It's some media personnel! That's media down there!"

A forensic examiner said the first 15 minutes of the tape may have been erased.

In Britain, inquests take place when a person dies violently, unexpectedly, or of unknown causes. In the case of an overseas death, the inquest is held in the first British jurisdiction where the body is returned.
Source

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
10-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I was once watching this video clip made by some soldiers of the US Army.....It was horrid....It was a lot like a scene taken from the PS2 Game: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas....Sickenning......

Keltoi
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
I was once watching this video clip made by some soldiers of the US Army.....It was horrid....It was a lot like a scene taken from the PS2 Game: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas....Sickenning......
I think I saw this video. If it is the same one it showed somebody shooting at vehicles while blasting a Johnny Cash song. I'm not convinced these were actually U.S. soldiers because the weapons they were using were the more urban assault type, usually used by civilian security contractors. Plus, the vehicle appeared to be some sort of civilian vehicle, not a humvee. If I had to guess I would say these guys were civilians "bodyguards" or security contractors. U.S. soldiers who fired on civilian vehicles in this manner would be in a world of...curse word for feces. So perhaps it was U.S. soldiers, but from what I saw it didn't appear to be.

Muezzin
10-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Nobody has anything to say about the fact that the coroner found the death to have resulted from an unlawful act on the part of the US military?

wilberhum
10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I assume that there will be atrocities commited by all sides in any war.
Nothing here suprisses me.
Shall we discuss which individuals commit the worst crimes?
Or just leave it as a fact it happens.
Of course I hope every person that commits a crime receives proper punishment.

Keltoi
10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
There isn't much to discuss here. We have one account or theory about what occurred, but none of us on this forum know for sure what happened in that particular case. If it is found that an American committed outright murder in this case he will be punished like all other U.S. servicemen who break R.O.E.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.