/* */

PDA

View Full Version : patience- whats it mean?

AnonymousPoster
10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
And bear with patience whatever befalls you.
(31:17)

:sl:

Allah swt tests us, and we must be patient to recieve reward. I wanted to know, exaclty what does it mean to be patient? Is it a sign of low patience if a person becomes saddened due to a calamity that befalls him? Yes? No?

Please reply with detail and examples if possible :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DigitalStorm82
10-14-2006, 05:28 PM
well i'll give you an example...

I recently graduated from a really good university... so now I have applied for a job.. and they have "hired" me.. but im waiting on background check and stuff to complete and they said they would call me..

so, now, I can leave home and go out of state again to look for a job.. will probably be easier to go back to my uni and look for jobs around there.. but parents want me to stay home and be around them.. so I'm kind of obligated to stay here as well..

So.. I've been waiting for quite some time... Im guess that is patience... because I'm trying to please Allah swt while pleasing my parents.. at the same time waiting patiently for a job...

So, Inshallah Allah will provide me with a good job soon... Inshallah.

But, thats my definition of patience.

W'salamz...

PS. Do make duahs for me plz :)

Mawaddah
10-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Well I guess it can also be defined as accepting whatever happens as for the best. Allah says " And those who when calamity befalls them they say Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raaji'oon (To Allah we Belong and To Allah we will return) "

And the in the Hadeeth of Abi Hurairah Rasulullah said " And if anything bad befalls you then do not say 'If only I had done this then it would have been like this and like that ' but rather say 'Qaddarallahu wa Ma Shaa'a Fa'al (It is Allahs will and he does as he pleases) For verily the word 'If' unleashes the tricks of Shaitaan"

So Patience is accepting whatever happens with an open heart and acknowledgement that this has all been written down and destined for you.

Wallahu A'lam..I hope someone can come with a better definition :)

amirah_87
10-14-2006, 06:23 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

The Definition of Patience

by Imâm Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

Sabr is an Arabic word which comes from a root meaning to detain, refrain and stop. There is an expression in Arabic, "so-and-so was killed sabran," which means that he was captured and detained until he died. In the spiritual sense, patience means to stop ourselves from despairing and panicking, to stop our tongues from complaining, and to stop our hands from striking our faces and tearing our clothes at times of grief and stress.

What scholars have said about patience :

Some scholars have defined patience as a good human characteristic or a positive psychological attitude, by virtue of which we refrain from doing that which is not good. Human beings cannot live a proper, healthy life without patience.

-Abu 'Uthman said: "the one who has patience is the one who has trained himself to handle difficulties."

-'Amr ibn 'Uthman al-Makki said: "Patience means to keep close to Allah and to accept calmly the trials He sends, without complaining or feeling sad."

-Al-Khawwas said: "Patience means to adhere to the rules of the Qur'an and Sunnah."

-Another scholar said: "Patience means to refrain from complaining."

-Ali ibn Abi Talib said: "Patience means to seek Allah's help."

The article is very beneficial InshaAllah, read on here if you find it Interesting ...

http://www.islaam.net/main/display.p...28&category=12

Hope it helps InshaAllah Allah Ma3ak! :peace:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
10-14-2006, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Tester
Is it a sign of low patience if a person becomes saddened due to a calamity that befalls him? Yes? No?

:salamext:

I think that it's okay to be sad at the time of calamity, but one shouldn't be angry at the decree of Allaah, but instead - they should stay patient because Allaah know's the future, while we don't. So by being patient at Allaah's decree, Allaah will bring something good for us through that calamity insha'Allaah.

A really good example of this is:

Ibrahim [the son of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him] was about to die, the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam), it is reported, picked him up, kissed him while tears were coming out of his eyes. One of his companions asked: O Prophet of Allah (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam), do you cry also?

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) replied - this crying was a blessing and then while weeping remarked: The eyes shed tears and the heart is aggrieved but we shall only say that with which the Lord is pleased, and we are sad at being separated from you O Ibrahim!

(Narrated in Bukhari)

We should follow that example insha'Allaah, and Allaah Almighty know's best. :)

Zone Maker
10-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Can anybody tell me the difference between being patient and being humiliated?
Some people may fail to differ between these two:heated: and thanks.
:w:

- Qatada -
10-14-2006, 11:08 PM

Brother Abu Skakeen, it depend's on the circumstances. Being patient can be done at any time - so when something bad happen's to someone, they stay calm and put their trust in Allaah Almighty, and someone can humiliate another person by harming them (eg. verbally, physically etc.) - so it's another way of belittling them, making them feel low etc. wa Allaahu a'lam.

AnonymousPoster
10-15-2006, 12:18 AM

JK! That all helped very much! :happy:

anonymous
10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen
Can anybody tell me the difference between being patient and being humiliated?
Some people may fail to differ between these two:heated: and thanks.
And there's an important point that some scholars pointed out.

Patience when you're humiliated when you're in a position of weakness is not admired compared to beign patient when you're wronged and in a position of strength.

Some of the scholars said that "patience" when you're in a position of weakness smetiems is called cowardness not patience.

Hence why the prophet, when the man was about to kill him, he gave him a firm answer, but when the (to be assassin) he dropped the sword, the prophet swiftly picked it up and told him "And NOW, who's going to protect you from ME?" and the other person became Muslim and the prophet let him off.

anonymous
10-15-2006, 12:33 AM
And bear with patience whatever befalls you.

(31:17)

Allah swt tests us, and we must be patient to recieve reward. I wanted to know, exaclty what does it mean to be patient? Is it a sign of low patience if a person becomes saddened due to a calamity that befalls him? Yes? No?

Please reply with detail and examples if possible :)
As the prophet said when his son Ibrahim died "The eye produces tears, and the heart is sad, and we are, with your departing us, O Ibrahim, very sad". That was the prophets reply when they asked him 'why are you weeping, (isnt that a sign of impatience).

So it's part of human's nature to be sad, the challenge isn't to avoid being sad, it's to be patient, i.e. not flip upside down n become abusive or lose iman over it.

^^ OOOOPS I MADE ERROR, PLEASE RE READ LAST SENTENCE

Malaikah
10-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Hence why the prophet, when the man was about to kill him, he gave him a firm answer, but when the (to be assassin) he dropped the sword, the prophet swiftly picked it up and told him "And NOW, who's going to protect you from ME?" and the other person became Muslim and the prophet let him off.

I dont get this..?

anonymous
10-15-2006, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

I dont get this..?
umm basically after one of the battles, the prophet walked off on his own and went n took a nap under a tree.. and he left his sword hanging from it. And one of the kafirs noticed he was all alone, so he secretly followed him up and when the prophet was sleeping he took out the sword and screamed at teh prophet "Muhammad, now, who's going to protect you from me!"

The prophet said "Allaah!" (he didnt start giving the crook smiles and fake 'patience' behaviour), and the other person hesitated n he dropped the sword by accident, and so the prohet picked it up n told him "Now, who's going to protect you from ME?" and the person freaked out at wat happened n became Muslim.

also.... notice in makkah, the prophet showed true patience by not beign a chicken when he was there for 13 years, he was doing full dawah and facing allt he punishment even though they where weak... they wehrent submissive under the pretence of "patience". (They had correct understandin of patience)

yet when he conquered makkah, even though he was in position of power, he told the people of Makkah "You are free", and the people of makkah where in shock coz they knew how much trouble they put the prophet thru when he was with them in the beginnin........

salam

Malaikah
10-15-2006, 12:48 AM
wow! thats amazing, thanks for explaining

anonymous
10-15-2006, 12:55 AM
wa iyakum :D

AnonymousPoster
12-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Is it considered Impatience if I shout to myself or mumble words of despair or feel hopeless? even though i'm convinced Allah will make a way out?

lolwatever
12-17-2006, 10:16 AM
edit... nvr mind. sorry dunno.

Malaikah
12-17-2006, 10:17 AM

^Since when were cartoons a source of Islamic knowledge?:uuh:

- Qatada -
12-17-2006, 10:20 AM

^^

http://kalamullah.com/cartoons.html

http://www.islamicvideos.net/compone...136/Itemid,30/

Malaikah
12-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Is it considered Impatience if I shout to myself or mumble words of despair or feel hopeless? even though i'm convinced Allah will make a way out?

I dont really know but what kind of things are you mumbling about? Refer to this hadith inshaallah:

format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
[INDENT]Ibrahim [the son of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him] was about to die, the Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam), it is reported, picked him up, kissed him while tears were coming out of his eyes. One of his companions asked: O Prophet of Allah (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam), do you cry also?

The Prophet (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) replied - this crying was a blessing and then while weeping remarked: The eyes shed tears and the heart is aggrieved but we shall only say that with which the Lord is pleased, and we are sad at being separated from you O Ibrahim!

(Narrated in Bukhari)

Al-Zaara
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Think about it, would you really begin to shout, mumble words of despair, if you actually were convinced Allah would help you? This means you're still impatient and you are not fully convinced that help will come.

As sister amirah_87 quoted some scholars and an article:

-'Amr ibn 'Uthman al-Makki said: "Patience means to keep close to Allah and to accept calmly the trials He sends, without complaining or feeling sad."

-Another scholar said: "Patience means to refrain from complaining."

In the spiritual sense, patience means to stop ourselves from despairing and panicking, to stop our tongues from complaining, and to stop our hands from striking our faces and tearing our clothes at times of grief and stress.

- Qatada -
12-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Oh yeah, i heard in tearful moments

Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 391:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar :

Sad bin 'Ubada became sick and the Prophet along with 'Abdur Rahman bin 'Auf, Sad bin Abi Waqqas and 'Abdullah bin Masud visited him to enquire about his health. When he came to him, he found him surrounded by his household and he asked, "Has he died?" They said, "No, O Allah's Apostle." The Prophet wept and when the people saw the weeping of Allah's Apostle (p.b.u.h) they all wept. He said, "Will you listen? Allah does not punish for shedding tears, nor for the grief of the heart but he punishes or bestows His Mercy because of this." He pointed to his tongueand added, "The deceased is punished for the wailing of his relatives over him." 'Umar used to beat with a stick and throw stones and put dust over the faces (of those who used to wail over the dead).

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...i/023.sbt.html

And remember to say when the calamity hits you:

And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

Who, when disaster strikes them, say, "Indeed we belong to Allah , and indeed to Him we will return."

إِنَّا لِلّهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ

[Qur'an: 2 (surah baqarah) 155-6]

Those are the ones upon whom are blessings from their Lord and mercy. And it is those who are the [rightly] guided. [2:157]

Snowflake
12-17-2006, 03:27 PM
It depends what you are shouting or mumbling. Anything that implies that you are angry with Allah, indicates that you do not believe it was Allah's will for this to happen and that is a sin. But I don't see why you can't punch a pillow or something to let your anger out. Just don't lose you imaan.

If you're going to mumble, then let it be good words asking Allah to help you in your affairs.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.