/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hell and Paradise in other religions

*charisma*
10-15-2006, 02:55 AM
Assalamu Alaikum and Greetings,

How is hell and paradise described in the teachings of other faiths??

I'm looking for specific examples, such as Paradise in Islam has rivers of wine, hooratul 'ayn, everyone is young, etc.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
10-15-2006, 04:26 AM
I don't think any other religion really gets into it as much as Islam.....

Keltoi
10-15-2006, 07:00 AM
The Bible doesn't get into that many details of Heaven as a place.

AvarAllahNoor
10-15-2006, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum and Greetings,

I'm looking for specific examples, such as Paradise in Islam has rivers of wine, hooratul 'ayn, everyone is young, etc.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Off topic i know, but i thought wine wsn'y permitted in Islam, yet you have 'rivers of wine'?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-15-2006, 10:10 AM
i think the wine in Jannah(heaven) is not intoxicating? Am I right? This life is but a test for everyone. The real happiness is in Jannah. There u will have everything.

Malaikah
10-15-2006, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Off topic i know, but i thought wine wsn'y permitted in Islam, yet you have 'rivers of wine'?
When Allah mentioned that we shall have wine in paradise, he said immediatly afterwards that this wine does not intoxicate and doesnt have the bad effect that wine of this world has.

In gardens of pleasure

On thrones facing one another.

There will be circulated among them a cup [of wine] from a flowing spring,

White and delicious to the drinkers;

Neither they will have Ghoul (any kind of hurt, abdominal pain, headache, a sin, etc.) from that, nor will they suffer intoxication therefrom.

And with them will be chaste females, restraining their glances (desiring none except their husbands), with wide and beautiful eyes.

[Qur'an Surah Saffat 37: 43-48]

ManchesterFolk
10-15-2006, 01:05 PM
The thing about other religions is that many of them tell there followers to do good in this world and does not give them images of heaven, while Islam trys to put an amazing image of heaven in its followers heads.

What is wrong with that in my belief is that Muslims may very well be focused to much on heaven and might only do deeds because they can have paradise, not because they want to be good people.

But that is a generalization and I'm sorry if I offended anyone because I am sure there are a lot of Muslims that do good deeds because it is the right thing.

duskiness
10-15-2006, 02:17 PM

the only thing that came to my mind is dicription on "New Jerusalem"

The Ruler
10-15-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
What is wrong with that in my belief is that Muslims may very well be focused to much on heaven and might only do deeds because they can have paradise, not because they want to be good people.
if you want to have paradise, you do good deeds, you are a good person...whats the difference...your a godd person thats all that matters right :?...no onw would be saying that your not a good person because you do your deeds to enter paradise...it doesnt make any difference...not to you peepz since intention doesnt matter to you relly...bu in islam intention is very much important :)

:w:

starfortress
10-15-2006, 02:57 PM
The thing about other religions is that many of them tell there followers to do good in this world and does not give them images of heaven, while Islam trys to put an amazing image of heaven in its followers heads.

But that is a generalization and I'm sorry if I offended anyone because I am sure there are a lot of Muslims that do good deeds because it is the right thing.
Hi

I think i understand it,but in Islam beleiving both heaven and earth as a real thing or physical reality is apart of our Iman/faith.

The Quran tells people about Paradise, which God offers to them, describes its great blessings, and proclaims its beauties to everyone.It also informs people that Paradise is one of two ways of life prepared for them in the afterworld, and that every good thing will be theirs in Paradise to a degree that surpasses our present ability to imagine.

As a Muslim

belief in life after death gives meaning to our life,it tells us that this life is only a test and preparation for an eternal life.Furthermore, we know that in the afterlife we will receive justice for all the wrongs we suffer here.It may seem that the sinful and corrupt are often happier or wealthier than the righteous, but that is only for a short time.In the afterlife they will get their due.
Afterlife

جوري
10-15-2006, 04:28 PM

We are told repeatedly that "inma Al'Amal benyat" literally means your deeds count through your intentions ... that is what God would look at YOUR HEART ... do you think that God with all his sophistication, which anyone with a keen discerning eye can see through his tiniest of creations...... from the biochemical processes that go on in your body, on their own volition ... to the complexity of the universe around you ... to the beauty that exists in the most remote corners of this earth...... that he that same God, wouldn't be able to tell what your intentions are? that he'd be deceived into letting us into heaven, through some superficial exterior? truly most of us know that if we spent our entire life time in gratitude, it wouldn't equate with the blessings bestowed upon us... And again God does mention that in the Quran.......

إِنَّ رَبَّكَ يَعْلَمُ أَنَّكَ تَقُومُ أَدْنَى مِن ثُلُثَيِ اللَّيْلِ وَنِصْفَهُ وَثُلُثَهُ وَطَائِفَةٌ مِّنَ الَّذِينَ مَعَكَ وَاللَّهُ يُقَدِّرُ اللَّيْلَ وَالنَّهَارَ عَلِمَ أَن لَّن تُحْصُوهُ فَتَابَ عَلَيْكُمْ فَاقْرَؤُوا مَا تَيَسَّرَ مِنَ الْقُرْآنِ عَلِمَ أَن سَيَكُونُ مِنكُم مَّرْضَى وَآخَرُونَ يَضْرِبُونَ فِي الْأَرْضِ يَبْتَغُونَ مِن فَضْلِ اللَّهِ وَآخَرُونَ يُقَاتِلُونَ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ فَاقْرَؤُوا مَا تَيَسَّرَ مِنْهُ وَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَأَقْرِضُوا اللَّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا وَمَا تُقَدِّمُوا لِأَنفُسِكُم مِّنْ خَيْرٍ تَجِدُوهُ عِندَ اللَّهِ هُوَ خَيْرًا وَأَعْظَمَ أَجْرًا وَاسْتَغْفِرُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ {20}
[Pickthal 73:20] Lo! thy Lord knoweth how thou keepest vigil sometimes nearly two-thirds of the night, or (sometimes) half or a third thereof, as do a party of those with thee. Allah measureth the night and the day. He knoweth that ye count it not, and turneth unto you in mercy. Recite, then, of the Qur'an that which is easy for you. He knoweth that there are sick folk among you, while others travel in the land in search of Allah's bounty, and others (still) are fighting for the cause of Allah. So recite of it that which is easy (for you), and establish worship and pay the poor-due, and (so) lend unto Allah a goodly loan. Whatsoever good ye send before you for your souls, ye will find it with Allah, better and greater in the recompense. And seek forgiveness of Allah. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Though I certainly can't speak for every Muslim... We are told to seek knowledge,from the cradle to the grave... and in that knowledge we will learn of others, of ourseleves, and of God..... in spite of what they display on TV, the majority of Muslims, if not all, as I rarely see anything positive now, a bunch of uncivilized hooligans dancing on the streets celebrating the misery of other folk, our women all opressed ... the majority in fact are decent, who try to seek God in their daily life, through how they deal with others, seeking God's forgiveness in every aspect..... I can't recall a chapter in the Quran where charity and good will and humility isn't emphasized... ..... The attainment of paradise, can ultimately be achieved through God's mercy ... not our deeds....

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-15-2006, 05:16 PM
nicely put! :)

*charisma*
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Greetings,

There are many reasons why this is. As muslims we have to believe in both paradise and hell, because we are taught that this earth, this world, is basically worthless so we shouldn't put all of our desires into it for it isn't our permanent home. If we had nothing to look forward to in the afterlife, aren’t we more prone to sinning and less repenting? Wouldn't the time on this earth be completely worthless?? Even those who commit suicide do so (among other reasons) because they beleive there is nothing too great to look forward to after death. Besides it’s proven that rewards work better in getting someone to conform to something instead of punishments. The descriptions of hell provide a warning to the living transgressors, and a punishment after death. It wouldn’t be fair or just if God didn’t tell us what to expect after we died. How many would claim to Allah on the day of judgment that they had not been warned of the punishment?

Another reason is because it provides some unity between the believers of Islam. Paradise is where all of the believers will end up in the end. Just as we all should dress somewhat alike, and turn towards the ka'aaba during prayers, Paradise is the place we all believe in and strive to reach. Its a part of our religious goal.

Now you are speaking more about the intention of doing a good deed.

The intention is between the believer and Allah. As long as the action demonstrates a good deed, then it doesn't matter what the intention is to the rest of the world. They are oblivious to it and very well would think of it being a good intention, right? So they would only be able to judge it through the action. Our intentions are for Allah, and Allah only. Because of this, we cannot discriminate between different types of races, ethnicities, gender, age or religion; a deed is a deed to whomever it is inflicted upon. It keeps our minds open to treat everyone fairly and just. Our deeds are not to enter into Jannah, firstly they should be centered upon pleasing Allah, afterwards it is Allah that will judge us accordingly to the rewards we will receive.

regards,

*charisma*
10-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Greetings,

so you guys really don't look forward to anything special in the afterlife??

or do you have some expectations?

regards,

duskiness
10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Greetings,
so you guys really don't look forward to anything special in the afterlife??
or do you have some expectations?
no, it's hard to expect anything: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him".
And do you believe that there are "real" 'rivers of wine' or is it a metaphor?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
umm there is i think...just not intoxicating, cuz thatd be harmful.

*charisma*
10-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Greetings,

no, it's hard to expect anything: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him".
Yea, that's also a description of paradise for us as well:

Abu Hurairah (RA) reported that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said that Allah SWT said: “I have prepared for My righteous servants what no eye has seen and no ear has heard, nor has it occurred to the human heart. Thus, recite if you wish, ‘And no soul knows what joy has been kept hidden for them.”’ (Al-Bukhari, Muslim, At-Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah, Surah Al Sajdah 32:17).

Sahl bin Sa’d (RA) narrated Allah’s Apostle (SAW) said: “A place in Paradise equal to the size of a lash is better than the whole world and whatever is in it.” (Bukhari).

Paradise is described in the quran and in many ahadith, but still there's so much more about it that we won't ever be able to imagine without seeing it. So Allah describes some of the things that we will be allowed that were forbidden on earth, some that we've seen before, and He is also telling us there will be even things we've never seen or imagined. So everything we have here in this world that people get attached to, will also be available in paradise.

And do you believe that there are "real" 'rivers of wine' or is it a metaphor?
Yea, they are real rivers of wine but without all the bad side effects and harm that alcohol would cause.

regards,

syilla
10-20-2006, 01:19 AM
:sl:

i watched a tv drama yesterday....

there was one question a muslim asking a christian guy...

he asked : Lets put aside of what will be the god's judgment on us... If we really think hard...of all our actions and doings...do you think we have the qualifications to go to heaven?

what do you think?

IbnAbdulHakim
10-20-2006, 09:40 AM
hmm this is the beauty of islam, Allah describes with the most eloquent speech the imagery of heaven and hell. Obviously not concievable by our minds but im pretty sure no other religion will ever come close to such descriptions such as:

And when they are cast bound together into a constricted place
therein they will plead for destruction there and then!
Is that the better entertainment or the Tree of Zaqqum? 63. For we have truly made it (as) a trial for the wrong-doers. 64. For it is a
tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-fire 65. The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils 66. Truly they will eat thereof
and fill their bellies therewith 67. Then on top of that they will be given a mixture made of boiling water. 68. Then shall their return be to the
(Blazing) Fire.

:uuh: u just cant compare :uuh:
you just cant !!

sameer
10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
^ thats the greatness of Allah in his revelation and y no-one can write anything ot compare to the Quran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.