/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Dual Purpose of the Quran

starfortress
10-15-2006, 09:05 PM
The Dual Purpose of the Quran

By Imam Tammam Adi Ph.D., Director of the Islamic Cultural Center of Eugene, Oregon.

I think using the term "Islam" is misleading. It basically means "true faith." It is defined as believing that there is no god but God (principle of liberty) and that Muhammad is one more messenger of God (scripture-based pluralistic justice). The Quran insists that true believers (Arabic: mu'min, muslim) believe in all scriptures and make no distinction between messengers.

But the way Muslims present this final scripture makes it sound "different," "foreign," "distinct," or "unique." "Not for everybody." Or worse, "you need followers of Islam to understand it." These suggestions are contrary to the Quran which constantly declares itself as self-explaining, says it confirms previous scripture, and states that all scriptures are "the Book."

Roughly speaking, the Quran tells us that God sent one messenger after the other because their followers kept dropping the ball. Jesus was sent because the Israelites dropped the ball. Muhammad was sent because the followers of Jesus dropped the ball.

And finally, chapter (surah) 47 ends with a clear prophecy and a warning to Muslims:

"... and if you turn away, He will replace you with a people other than you. And then they will never be the likes of you."

We find more details in Quran 6:89-90. These two verses come after several verses mentioning all prophets except Muhammad: "Those are the ones to whom we have given the scripture, judgment and governance (hukm), and prophethood. It does not matter if these people (Muhammad's people) reject these things, we have already entrusted them (scripture, governance and prophethood) to a people that will never reject them. These are the ones whom God has truly guided, so follow their guidance as a model."

I believe the Quran was written for two peoples: 1) For the Muslims who have already dropped the ball. And 2) for the "other, very different people" (many hadiths refer to them as "strangers" or "immigrants") who will take a fresh look at the Quran and understand it in new ways.

I believe September 11 declared the Quran open for reading by all its new people, the Americans, despite Muslims and Islam. Muslims have nothing to do with this new reading. It is like a new revelation without new prophet. The Quran has meanings and prophecies that only non-Muslim Americans will understand. When they accept the Quran, we'd better not call them Muslims. It's very confusing. Maybe "neo-Muslims," if we have to use this term.

Abraham's leadership test was just a threat to kill his son. Muhammad's test was being told in advance that his sons will die young. America's leadership test was the unannounced murder of thousands of sons and daughters.

Americans who are now positively studying the Quran and who have not lost their fairness, have accepted the leadership test and will hopefully lead the world to peace and justice. It looks like they will do it, gradually, in due time.

As an old-style believer in the Quran, I will just watch in respect and try to learn from the new believers. I can teach Arabic, but I don't think I am as qualified to interpret the Quran as somebody with a fresh mind.

I tried to teach my Midwestern wife about the Quran. I think I confused her a bit. She taught me a lot about liberty. But I am still partly confused by the unliberated old world understanding of the Quran.

I am waiting for neo-Muslim teachers to unconfuse me.

Tammam Adi Ph.D is the Director of the Islamic Cultural Center of Eugene, Oregon, USA. Originally from Syria, he is a computational linguist specializing in Arabic.

Link
This is make sense to me:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
10-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Asalaamu alaykum.

I don't completely agree with him - 'neo-Muslims'!?

He also contradicts himself by saying the Quran is open to reading by all, and then says it contains verses and prophecies that only "American non-Muslims will understand".

Asalaamu alaykum.

starfortress
10-16-2006, 05:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
Asalaamu alaykum.

I don't completely agree with him - 'neo-Muslims'!?

He also contradicts himself by saying the Quran is open to reading by all, and then says it contains verses and prophecies that only "American non-Muslims will understand".

Asalaamu alaykum.
:sl:

Yes maybe me too.

I believe the Quran was written for two peoples: 1) For the Muslims who have already dropped the ball. And 2) for the "other, very different people" (many hadiths refer to them as "strangers" or "immigrants") who will take a fresh look at the Quran and understand it in new ways.
Wheter we like it or not, it is true.

It is like a new revelation without new prophet. The Quran has meanings and prophecies that only non-Muslim Americans will understand. When they accept the Quran, we'd better not call them Muslims. It's very confusing. Maybe "neo-Muslims," if we have to use this term.
Im not sure about this,honestly i wont say anything beyond my knowledge, but id like to see it from the bright side.

azim
10-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Asalaamu alaykum.

The more I read the article, the more I disagree with it.

Saying "muslims have dropped the ball" brings to mind a hadith where the Prophet (pbuh) has said "the one who calls the people ruined is the most ruined among them".

Of course there are Muslims who have gone astray, in many different ways. There are also Muslims on the straight path, and there are those who struggled to follow the correct patch but falter often. To class them all into one group and say they have dropped the ball and are about to be replaced seems to be assuming too much.

Yes, of course Western converts to Islam are becoming a larger proportion of our Ummah, but they are Muslims, not 'neo-Muslims'. It brings to mind an incident when the armies of Khalid bin Al Waleed met the Romans, and one Roman approached them and asked Khalid questions about Islam. The final question was "If I accept the dean of Islam - what will my position be?", Khalid replied "an equal". The roman then accepted Islam and fought and died in the battle.

The author also seems slightly confused, to claim that Americans will hopefully lead the world to peace, and says "it looks like they will do it, gradually, in due time." I'm not sure what he's referring to, but by the looks of things America is out to slaughter as many as it can. What peace has America brought since the days of 9/11?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
10-07-2012, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azim
What peace has America brought since the days of 9/11?
They've brought many to pieces ...

:w:

YusufNoor
10-08-2012, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress
The Dual Purpose of the Quran

By Imam Tammam Adi Ph.D., Director of the Islamic Cultural Center of Eugene, Oregon.

I think using the term "Islam" is misleading. It basically means "true faith." It is defined as believing that there is no god but God (principle of liberty) and that Muhammad is one more messenger of God (scripture-based pluralistic justice). The Quran insists that true believers (Arabic: mu'min, muslim) believe in all scriptures and make no distinction between messengers.

that whole "liberty" thing is a Scottish-Freemasony-"Christiany" propaganda, like Amerikkka's founding fathers used. we are "free" to be "slaves of Allah!" and we DO make a distinction between Prophets, we follow only 1!

But the way Muslims present this final scripture makes it sound "different," "foreign," "distinct," or "unique." "Not for everybody." Or worse, "you need followers of Islam to understand it." These suggestions are contrary to the Quran which constantly declares itself as self-explaining, says it confirms previous scripture, and states that all scriptures are "the Book."

all "original" scriptures were to be followed, they don't exist in that form any more.

Roughly speaking, the Quran tells us that God sent one messenger after the other because their followers kept dropping the ball. Jesus was sent because the Israelites dropped the ball. Muhammad was sent because the followers of Jesus dropped the ball.

Muhammad pbuh, was sent because Allah decreed it before He created the world; likewise with Isa ibn Mirriam!

And finally, chapter (surah) 47 ends with a clear prophecy and a warning to Muslims:

"... and if you turn away, He will replace you with a people other than you. And then they will never be the likes of you."

that's a warning not to turn away...

We find more details in Quran 6:89-90. These two verses come after several verses mentioning all prophets except Muhammad: "Those are the ones to whom we have given the scripture, judgment and governance (hukm), and prophethood. It does not matter if these people (Muhammad's people) reject these things, we have already entrusted them (scripture, governance and prophethood) to a people that will never reject them. These are the ones whom God has truly guided, so follow their guidance as a model."

Muhsin Khan
They are those whom We gave the Book, Al-Hukm (understanding of the religious laws), and Prophethood. But if these disbelieve therein (the Book, Al-Hukm and Prophethood), then, indeed We have entrusted it to a people (such as the Companions of Prophet Muhammad SAW) who are not disbelievers therein.

They are those whom Allah had guided. So follow their guidance. Say: "No reward I ask of you for this (the Quran). It is only a reminder for the 'Alamin (mankind and jinns)."

that clarifies those ayats a bit

we are to understand the Qur'an as it was taught to the Sahabah by the Prophet, pbuh; not according to the Imam from Oregon.

I believe September 11 declared the Quran open for reading by all its new people, the Americans, despite Muslims and Islam. Muslims have nothing to do with this new reading. It is like a new revelation without new prophet. The Quran has meanings and prophecies that only non-Muslim Americans will understand. When they accept the Quran, we'd better not call them Muslims. It's very confusing. Maybe "neo-Muslims," if we have to use this term.

dude, put the hukka down! you are making yourself a "partner" with Allah!

Abraham's leadership test was just a threat to kill his son. Muhammad's test was being told in advance that his sons will die young. America's leadership test was the unannounced murder of thousands of sons and daughters.

"America's leadership" DID the attack!

Americans who are now positively studying the Quran and who have not lost their fairness, have accepted the leadership test and will hopefully lead the world to peace and justice. It looks like they will do it, gradually, in due time.

wow! "got crack?"

As an old-style believer in the Quran, I will just watch in respect and try to learn from the new believers. I can teach Arabic, but I don't think I am as qualified to interpret the Quran as somebody with a fresh mind.

we might agree that you are not qualified...

I tried to teach my Midwestern wife about the Quran. I think I confused her a bit. She taught me a lot about liberty. But I am still partly confused by the unliberated old world understanding of the Quran.

"got confusion?"

I am waiting for neo-Muslim teachers to unconfuse me.

i'd recommend a Scholar!

Tammam Adi Ph.D is the Director of the Islamic Cultural Center of Eugene, Oregon, USA. Originally from Syria, he is a computational linguist specializing in Arabic.
:sl:

somebody got a hold of a hukka? too much fluoride and GMOs, i guess!

May Allah guide us all to the straight path!

:wa:

جوري
10-08-2012, 10:31 AM
People strut around their degrees and bury within all sorts of nonsense - I see it everyday - I have heard some pretty inane comments from so called neuro surgeons and no it wasn't because they're so genius that it was lost to the rest of us lol stories that make you chuckle for days when you're down :))))
Meh funny and strange world - got to admit the older posts were more intriguing than the current trends though

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.