/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Homosexual and 'passionate about Islam'

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-16-2006, 03:02 AM
I can't believe this. All I can say is..Astaghfirullah

Homosexual and 'passionate about Islam'

Britain's gay Muslims struggle with sexuality, religion, and discrimination

LONDON — "Oh my god, I'm a sinner," Ubaid said he once thought of himself.

"I kept praying and wishing I weren't gay, hoping it was a phase, and that if I kept praying I'd be saved," he said.

Ubaid, who asked that his last name not be used, was born in London to a close-knit and devoutly Muslim Pakistani family.

"I have always been passionate about Islam," the 30-year-old said, explaining how he struggled to resolve his religion with his sexuality.

Several years after deciding not to enter into a marriage arranged by his parents, he is now secretary of Imaan, the United Kingdom's only gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender Muslim group.

Imaan's members feel like they are targets of both a wider society that discriminates against Muslims, and a Muslim community that sees homosexuality as a Western disease.

"Now we're dealing with Islamaphobia within the gay community, and Muslims who say gays can't be Muslims," Ubaid said.

Despite discrimination, Ubaid has found away to forge his own path and has reconciled his attraction to men with his love of Islam.

'Not acceptable'

Imaan, which means faith in Arabic, has around 300 members, most of whom have not told their families that they are gay.

While members vary in how rigidly they keep to Islamic practices like praying five times a day and eating halal food, Ubaid said Imaan is for people who believe that they can be gay and Muslim. If they were raised in a Muslim family but have renounced the religion, Imaan probably would not appeal to them.

The group was started in 1998 as a branch of the U.S. gay Muslim group, Al-Fatiha, after its American members visited London. It serves as a support network, and is a meeting place for people to pray together and celebrate Islamic holidays.

Imaan hosts conferences that deal with such topics as culture, Islamaphobia, non-Muslim partners, HIV and Islam, relatives of gay Muslims, and trans-sexual Muslims. And some members take part in gay pride events.

On July 1, around 25 Imaan members rode atop a float in the EuroPride 06 parade in London. With banners reading "Gay Muslims unveiled" and flags of the United Kingdom and from across the Islamic world, they waved cheerfully at the crowd.

While they didn't hide themselves in rainbow burkhas as they did the previous year, most were still reluctant to give their names or be photographed for fear of reprisals.

Although the group's membership is on the rise, gay Muslims are not accepted by the wider Islamic communities of any country.

In fact, Iqbal Sacranie, who served as the Muslim Council of Britain’s general secretary until this June, told the BBC in January that homosexuality is “not acceptable,” and that Britain’s introduction of Civil Partnerships did “not augur well” for building the foundations of society.

In 2001, a fatwa was issued against Al-Fatiha, the U.S. gay Muslim umbrella group by al-Muhajiroun, an international organization that seeks the establishment of an Islamic caliphate.

Marriage plans

"I tried not to be a sinner all my life, and then I thought, here I am, I'm going to go to hell," Ubaid said of when he came to terms with his homosexuality.

"Looking back, I've always been gay, but I didn't realize it until my mid or late teens.

"I'd never had a girlfriend or been attracted to the opposite sex. But, as sex is never talked about (in Muslim circles), it never really occurred to me until I got out of high school."

Ubaid, who has always prayed regularly at the mosque, fasts for Ramadan, and does not drink alcohol, began dating men.

"But, the prospect of marriage kept coming up and my family wanted me to get married," he said.

"I decided that I would get married for their sake," he said, adding that he considered dating men on the side.

"However, when Al-Fatiha (the American Muslim group) came along and I met gay Muslims who'd been married, I realized I just couldn't do it.

"Up to that time, I'd only been thinking of myself, my family, my culture. But, then I started taking into consideration that I'd be destroying someone else's life, making a wife miserable, and possibly the children miserable if I did that," he said.

Coming out

Ubaid began rejecting his parents’ overtures for him to get married. They couldn't understand his resistance and he failed to give them a reason.

If they found out he was gay, "I thought they might lose it, might kick me out of the house, and although my parents have never physically hurt me I thought they might, or I'd be sent to Pakistan and forced into marriage."

After hiding his homosexuality for so long, it came to the surface in an instant.

"They found a (gay) magazine in my bag in my room and they questioned me about it," he said.

"And I came out. I didn't bother to hide it. I said, 'I am gay and this is who I am.'"

Ubaid said his family do not accept his homosexuality and continue to ask him about marriage, but "they still keep me under their wing, and still love and nurture me as they always did before."

'Educating both sides'

Ubaid insisted that his words not be misused to slander Islam as a repressive or hostile religion as he feels very strongly about most aspects of the faith. However, he said he hoped that the Islamic world would become more open to discussions on sexuality and more accepting of those who are not heterosexual.

"Judaism and Christianity have moved on over the years and allow dialogue to take place, but sex isn't talked about full stop (in the Islamic world)," he said, adding that non-Muslim gay men often ask him why he'd be part of a religion that doesn't accept him, and noting a rise in Islamaphobia within the gay community.

"It's a case of educating both sides," he said.

"If the Quran teaches you that everything God created is beautiful, then why would he create a type of person who's always oppressed?"

"We're all equal in the eyes of God."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
AsalamuAlaykum,

that's bizzare

Astaghfirullah!

Jazakhala khair for article.

~Stranger~
10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
:sl:

is it this article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13712248/
I'd never had a girlfriend
Ubaid, who has always prayed regularly at the mosque, fasts for Ramadan, and does not drink alcohol, began dating men.
praticing huh??
what islam (whom u r passionate about) allows u to "date" or have girlfriends??

Al-Fatiha
Imaan
astagfirullah why do they use these names?

"We're all equal in the eyes of God."
whats ur explaination of the Prophet's (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saying: "Whoever you find committing the sin of the people of Lut (Lot), kill them, both the one who does it and the one to whom it is done" - i.e. if it is done with consent.

:w:

~Stranger~
10-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Refutation of those who excuse homosexuals on the grounds that this is the way they were created

Question:
Salaam. I'm not gay but I'm just wondering from a moral standpoint that since homosexuality is forbidden under Islam, what would happen to gay or lesbian individuals? A lot of gay and lesbians say that their sexual orientation is natural and they are born gay. Assuming that they are correct since straight people don't know, if homosexuality is outlawed in Islam then why would Allah make them that way so that their existence is a tortured and sexually frustrated way?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not agree with their claim that their sexual orientation is natural; rather it is a distortion of nature. Allaah counted their deed as wrongdoing and immoral, and He sent upon the people of Lut a punishment the like of which no other nation had seen. He also tells us that this punishment is not ever far from the wrongdoers.

Their claim that their orientation is natural serves only to propagate and spread immorality, and it is just an excuse for them. Many of them change their appearance so as to look odd, so how can we say that this is how they were created?

Allaah does not create anyone just to punish or torture them. He created mankind to worship Him, but He may try His slaves with hardship as a test of their faith, to expiate for their sins and to raise their status. Allaah is too Just to force a person to commit sin and then punish him. On the contrary, people commit sins by their own free choice – like these perverted people – and it is for this that they deserve to be punished. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and your Lord treats no one with injustice” [al-Kahf 18:49]

And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Nay, Allaah never commands Fahshaa’ (evil deeds, unlawful sexual intercourse). Do you say of Allaah what you know not?” [al-A’raaf 7:28]

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
~Stranger~
10-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Muslim attitude towards the sin of homosexuality

Question:
Dear sir,

How are you? I am currently researching issues related to Homosexual persecution In Asia, especially Malaysia. I hope that you could kindly help answer a few of my questions.

1)How are homosexuals (Muslim & non-muslim) being treated in Malaysia?
2)How severe will the punishment be?
3)How does society perceive homosexuals?
4)Is homosexuality legal?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not have any information about homosexuality in Malaysia, but we assume that the Muslims there feel total abhorrence towards this shameful act, because their religion, Islam, emphatically forbids this deed and prescribes a severe punishment for it, in this world and the next. How could it be otherwise, when the Prophet of Islam (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever you find committing the sin of the people of Lut (Lot), kill them, both the one who does it and the one to whom it is done" - i.e. if it is done with consent. (This hadeeth was narrated by al-Tirmidhi in his Sunan, 1376)

The scholars of Islam, such as Maalik, al-Shaafi'i, Ahmad and Ishaaq said that (the person guilty of this crime) should be stoned, whether he is married or unmarried.

There is no doubt that this act, which goes against the pure human nature created by Allaah, by making men content with men and women with women, destroying families, adversely affecting the birth rate, causing the spread of killer diseases, harming the innocent when children are raped, and generally spreading corruption on earth, should be uprooted and stamped out.

Perhaps your research will lead you to find out much more about this religion with its great laws and accurate rules and the wisdom of the One Who revealed it.

I ask Allaah to grant you help and success, for Allaah is the One Who guides to the Straight Path.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
im really confused what islam does he practice

I advice him to read:
Why does Islam forbid lesbianism and homosexuality?
The punishment for homosexuality

Pk_#2
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
AsalamuAlaykum, jazakhala for the quote

And refutations :)

nishom
10-16-2006, 10:07 AM
If someone is homosexual but does not practise this due to fear of Allah, surely this is the biggest struggle that one can face.

Surley its not the persons fault that their homosexual-they didnt wake up one day and say, 'o.k, from today, ill disobey Allah, so...erm...whats the most shameful act...ah...i know...ill be gay!'

We shouldnt criticise such people who have homosexual inclinations-only those who practice this act. Theres nothing in the article that suggests the person is in homosexual relations NOW.

Malaikah
10-16-2006, 11:45 AM

^but it does suggest that the person is proud of being homosexual, and lets say the person doesnt have control over his feelings, why make it public in the first place??

- Qatada -
10-16-2006, 11:48 AM
:salamext:

I think you should delete it, there's lot's of secular islamic site's being opened which promote stuff like this alot. If we can't try to remove them, we shouldn't promote it insha'Allaah.

:wasalamex

muzna
10-16-2006, 11:49 AM
three words....ew...ew....eww...

Rabi'ya
10-16-2006, 11:50 AM

as far as i know, therei sn othing within Islam which says homosexuality does not exist. in fact there are numerous ayats wchich address the problem.

Yes, it is forbidden, but it is a test from Allah. He sends different tests to everyone....its up to us how we deal with it.

Rabi'ya:rose:

Malaikah
10-16-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
I think you should delete it, there's lot's of secular islamic site's being opened which promote stuff like this alot. If we can't try to remove them, we shouldn't promote it insha'Allaah.

Can you please explain what you are saying? Remove what exaclty? :?

S_87
10-16-2006, 11:52 AM

got a few names for the likes of them :rant:

how could they be so SICK though :grumbling:

- Qatada -
10-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I meant that there's loads of secular islamic sites, and they have stories like this. If we can't disable or get rid of the site, we shouldn't post their material on the forums insha'Allaah.

:salamext:

muzna
10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
i agree...i used to do stupid things like that when i didnt know better

Musaafirah
10-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Astaghfirullah..
I still hold by the reasoning of..how can a muslim be a muslim..and gay? It just doesn't go..

Woodrow
10-16-2006, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
Astaghfirullah..
I still hold by the reasoning of..how can a muslim be a muslim..and gay? It just doesn't go..
Perhaps that can be better said as "I still hold by the reasoning of..how can a muslim be a muslim..and be actively gay? It just doesn't go.."

The same statement holds true for those of us who are unmarried heterosexual.

"I still hold by the reasoning of..how can an unmarried muslim be a muslim..and be heterosexually active? It just doesn't go.."

I do not think it is a person's orientation that is the problem, it is how the orientation is handled that can cause problems.

starfortress
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM

This is the time where the Muslim psychiatrist should play their part,maybe some think like to create a more effective therapists procedure.There is nothing to call it normal,when relationship in gay result,ending up with no breed and discendents,no family institutions,Hope there is no third gender in human history,and scared to imagine a crowd of gay marching on the street asking for their right.

gay Muslims are not accepted by the wider Islamic communities of any country.
It should remain like that.Its better to included in - Homosexual behaviour as a Psychology disorders etc.However a proper research must be done in order to get a perfect result and decision.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
sorry! i always forget! i thought i put it...=\

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13712248/?GT1=8307
i know i shouldnt have posted but....i still did =\
Forgive me! lol

Zulkiflim
10-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Salaam,

A great moderate muslim loved by the west.

The man will one day say Why not remove storied of Prophet Lut and any refernce towards Sodom and Gommorah be removed.

The muslim the west are trully at risk,and because of them the Islamic world is in jeapordy.

Their acceptance in the Isalmic community will set a precedent and will be used by western power to force other islamic coutnris to change.

Zulkiflim
10-16-2006, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Perhaps that can be better said as "I still hold by the reasoning of..how can a muslim be a muslim..and be actively gay? It just doesn't go.."

The same statement holds true for those of us who are unmarried heterosexual.

"I still hold by the reasoning of..how can an unmarried muslim be a muslim..and be heterosexually active? It just doesn't go.."

I do not think it is a person's orientation that is the problem, it is how the orientation is handled that can cause problems.
Salaam,

The Propeht said,marriage is part of the deen.
But if you dont it is not a sin,but abstain from doing harmful and unIslamic action.

But same sex copultaion is Haraam.

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
The issue of homosexuality has already been discussed ad nauseum in the following thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...being-gay.html

Please see the following posts:

General comments
http://www.islamicboard.com/97335-post198.html (Being Gay)

Islamic Verdict
http://www.islamicboard.com/98510-post206.html (Being Gay)

From an empirical perspective:
http://www.islamicboard.com/98939-post213.html (Being Gay)
http://www.islamicboard.com/174648-post20.html (Prove that the Qur'an is NOT the word of God.)

How it relates to Islamic Penal Law
http://www.islamicboard.com/183927-post281.html (Being Gay)
http://www.islamicboard.com/184171-post284.html (Being Gay)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.