/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Usury (Interest) in Judaism

Mezier
10-17-2006, 06:24 AM
:sl:

I was reading those 613 laws of Judaism. One topic that really fascinates me is economics and business, so I scrolled down to that part and found this:

171. Not to make a loan to an Israelite on interest (Lev. 25:37) (CCN54).
172. Not to borrow on interest (Deut. 23:20) (because this would cause the lender to sin) (CCN55).
173. Not to take part in any usurious transaction between borrower and lender, neither as a surety, nor as a witness, nor as a writer of the bond for them (Ex. 22:24) (CCN53).

This is a subject I am probably ignorant in and would like someone to share their knowledge with me.

First (I dont want to sound racist, or offend anyone), but I hear alot of people saying things like "The Jews practise usury" and make it sound like it is permissible under Jewish law...is this just a giant misconception?

Second, as a business student, I keep my eyes open for different firms in consulting, real-estate and especially investment management. Something that I have noticed is that a lot of these Investment Management firms (at least the ones I have seen) are partnerships where the partners are most likely to be Jews. Now, we all know that in the West, Interest (usury) is a central pillar in the economic system...which undoubtly means that these Jewish owned Investment firms are practising Usury. Is this permissible? Why, or why not? And if it isn't permissible, do these Jews do it out of ignorance or do they base their actions on different laws/opinions/interpretations?

Anyone that could answer these for me will have my Thanks! And sorry again if I sound ignorant, but I genuinely would like to know.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ManchesterFolk
10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Observant Judaism teaches to follow the Torah's laws.

I will research those laws and if there are any oral traditions of them or not. I took comparative religion but did not ever remember studying that aspect of it, (buissness)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.