/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Weird news stories

Muezzin
06-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Send in all the strange goings on covered by the news. And there are loads :brother:

Crucified 'exorcism' nun buried

A trainee nun who was crucified in an exorcism at a monastery in eastern Romania and left to die has been buried in a religious ceremony.

The novice, Maricica Irina Cornici, died last week after being tied to a cross, gagged and starved.

Principal monk Daniel Petru Corogeanu, who said the novice was possessed by the devil, has been charged with false imprisonment leading to death.

The Orthodox Church has condemned the incident and suspended him.

Father Daniel has so far refused to stop work at the Holy Trinity monastery in Tanacu.

Another novice from the monastery, Iustina Galca, told the BBC that the nuns had not even given Ms Cornici water during her ordeal.

When asked if the nuns had tried to protest against the woman's treatment, she said they had all obeyed the priest.

'Schizophrenic'

Members of the convent claim Ms Cornici was possessed and that the crucifixion had been part of an exorcism ritual.

Four nuns have also been charged with imprisonment leading to death for helping Father Daniel to perform the rite.

The five accused could face 20 years in jail if found guilty of the nun's death.

She was found dead on the cross on Wednesday after fellow nuns called an ambulance, according to police.

A first autopsy concluded the nun died due to dehydration, exhaustion and lack of oxygen, state news agency Rompres reported.

The young woman, who grew up in an orphanage and was in her early 20s, is said to have arrived at the remote convent three months before.

She was reported to suffer from schizophrenia. It is thought the symptoms of her condition may have led the priest and other nuns to believe she was possessed by the devil.

Source

Moments like these make me glad that mental institutions are not run by clergymen

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
imaad_udeen
06-22-2005, 12:47 AM
I read about this a few days ago.

What a terrible thing. Definantly murder and those responsible should be punished.

Muezzin
06-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Indeed. More from the World o' Weird:

Man Wakes Up With a Bullet in His Tongue

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Police say a man who woke up with a serious headache walked 12 blocks to a hospital with a swollen lip and powder burns. Doctors discovered the problem. 47-year-old Wendell Coleman had a bullet lodged in his tongue.

Coleman told police that a woman stuck a gun barrel in his mouth during a dispute around 2:30 Tuesday morning and that he heard the gun go off.

Police say Coleman then went home to sleep.

What authorities did with the bullet wasn't clear last night.

Source

Well that certainly brings a whole new meaning to the term 'Eat lead'.

Lions free kidnapped girl

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) -- Police say three lions rescued a 12-year-old girl kidnapped by men who wanted to force her into marriage, chasing off her abductors and guarding her until police and relatives tracked her down in a remote corner of Ethiopia.

The men had held the girl for seven days, repeatedly beating her, before the lions chased them away and guarded her for half a day before her family and police found her, Sgt. Wondimu Wedajo said Tuesday by telephone from the provincial capital of Bita Genet, some 560 kilometers (348 miles) west of the capital, Addis Ababa.

"They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest," Wondimu said, adding he did not know whether the lions were male or female.

News of the June 9 rescue was slow to filter out from Kefa Zone in southwestern Ethiopia.

"If the lions had not come to her rescue then it could have been much worse. Often these young girls are raped and severely beaten to force them to accept the marriage," he said.

"Everyone ... thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people," Wondimu said.

Stuart Williams, a wildlife expert with the rural development ministry, said that it was likely that the young girl was saved because she was crying from the trauma of her attack.

"A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they (the lions) didn't eat her," Williams said. "Otherwise they probably would have done."

The girl, the youngest of four brothers and sisters, was "shocked and terrified" and had to be treated for the cuts from her beatings, Wondimu said.

He said that police had caught four of the men, but were still looking for three others.

In Ethiopia, kidnapping has long been part of the marriage custom, a tradition of sorrow and violence whose origins are murky.

The United Nations estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, practiced in rural areas where the majority of the country's 71 million people live.

Ethiopia's lions, famous for their large black manes, are the country's national symbol and adorn statues and the local currency. Former emperor Haile Selassie kept a pride in the royal palace in Addis Ababa.

Despite their integral place in Ethiopia culture, their numbers have been falling, according to experts, as farmers encroach on bush land.

Hunters also kill the animals for their skins, which can fetch $1,000, despite a recent crackdown against illegal animal trading across the country. Williams said that at most only 1,000 Ethiopian lions remain in the wild.

Source

Now that's what I call the Circle of Life.

minaz
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
The Lion king is one of my favourite films

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
I bet it's that girl's favourite film now.

minaz
06-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Lol, yeh bet Disney are in talks with her for a role in lion king 4 "simba to the rescue"

Muezzin
06-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Goodness no. Disney are absolutely rubbish at making sequels. But here's some more strangeness:

Vampire Bats Kill 11 People In Brazil

In less than two months, 11 people have died from rabies transmitted by vampire bats in the northern Brazilian state of Para, according to health officials.

Authorities said the victims were bitten near the small town of Augusto Correa, about 1,500 miles northeast of Rio de Janeiro.

Josefa Ferreira has lost five children -- all under the age of 5 years old -- because of rabies caused by bites from the vampire bats. According to her, none of her children received the vaccine.

Health officials attempting to catch the vampire bats have nabbed about 300 in the area, according to the report.

Some residents believe that deforestation has driven the bats from their natural jungle habitat and led to the increased number of bites.

Source

Vampire bats suck.

minaz
06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Josefa Ferreira needs BATMAN! (Never liked the Batman films) :p

imaad_udeen
06-23-2005, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Vampire bats suck.
No, they bite!

:)

Muezzin
06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Indeed they do. And lick. :)

And in the Daily Strangeness today:

Grandfather Kills Leopard with his Hands

NAIROBI (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said Wednesday.

Peasant farmer Daniel M'Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.

M'Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard's mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal's tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.

"It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping," he told the daily Standard newspaper of how the leopard came at him and knocked him over.

The leopard sank its teeth into the farmer's wrist and mauled him with its claws. "A voice, which must have come from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand in its wide open mouth. I obeyed," M'Mburugu said.

As the leopard was dying, a neighbor heard the screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete.

M'Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

"This guy is very lucky to be alive," Kenya Wildlife Service official Connie Maina told Reuters, confirming details of the incident.

Source

The Crocodile Hunter would be proud.

Giant Popsicle Melts, Floods New York Park

NEW YORK - An attempt to erect the world's largest Popsicle in a city square ended with a scene straight out of a disaster film — but much stickier.

The 25-foot-tall, 17 1/2-ton treat of frozen Snapple juice melted faster than expected Tuesday, flooding Union Square in downtown Manhattan with kiwi-strawberry-flavored fluid that sent pedestrians scurrying for higher ground.

Firefighters closed off several streets and used hoses to wash away the sugary goo.

Snapple had been trying to promote a new line of frozen treats by setting a record for the world's largest Popsicle, but called off the stunt before it was pulled fully upright by a construction crane. Authorities said they were worried the thing would collapse in the 80-degree, first-day-of-summer heat.

"What was unsettling was that the fluid just kept coming," Stuart Claxton of the Guinness Book of World Records told the Daily News. "It was quite a lot of fluid. On a hot day like this, you have to move fast."

Snapple official Lauren Radcliffe said the company was unlikely to make a second attempt to break the record, set by a 21-foot pop in Holland in 1997.

The giant pop was supposed to have been able to withstand the heat for some time, and organizers weren't sure why it didn't. It had been made in Edison, N.J., and hauled to New York by freezer truck in the morning.

Source with picture

They're lucky it wasn't a 99. Can you imagine a giant Flake falling down on some hapless bystander? Dear lord.

minaz
06-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Lol what's your favourite ice cream/ popsicle? Mine is TWISTER!

Muezzin
06-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I used to like Feasts but then they made them haraam. Idiots.

Man Dies After Lightning Strikes Metal Cross

LJUBLJANA (Reuters) - A man died after lightning struck a metal cross he was holding during a funeral in a village near Ljubljana, the Slovenian news agency STA reported Thursday.

It said the 62-year-old man died in hospital Wednesday evening, several hours after the incident in the village of Brezovica. Another person at the funeral was slightly injured.

Source

How... shocking.

imaad_udeen
06-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Man Dies After Lightning Strikes Metal Cross

How... shocking.
Puns are fun.

:D

Muezzin
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Puns are more than fun. They're punny :)

More strangeness:

Fish chokes boy to death

A boy has died after the fish he was holding jumped out of his hands and leapt into his mouth, choking him to death.

According to a story from the New Straits Times, eight-year-old Samiun Ahmad, caught a 7cm x 4cm Climbing perch, Anabas testudineus, in a neighbour's concrete pond.

Witnesses said that the boy wanted to show the fish off to his friend and brother, but the fish "slipped out of his hands and leapt into his mouth".

"He was so excited with his catch. He showed them to us and wanted to rear the fish in our neighbour's pond", the boy's Father told the New Straits Times.

"We never thought something like this could happen."

Friends tried to pull the fish out of his mouth but it had lodged itself firmly.

Climbing perch are equipped with very spiky fins and rough scales and often become entangled in nets.

Although this sounds bizarre, it is not the first time this has happened.

Back in 2003, we reported a story about a Cambodian teenager who had caught a similarly spiky Kantrorb, Pristolepis fasciata, which had lodged itself in his throat, choking him to death.

This fish, at some 20cm/8" in length, though, was rather larger than the juvenile Anabas involved in this distressing incident.
More at: New Straits Times (Tue July 12, 2005, 10:04 am)

Source

Fishy, isn't it?

Bittersteel
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
hey guys what do you think the possibility of the existance of aliens and life in outer space in other planets?I heard some weird stories about aliens ...people told they saw them..but I was never convinced....what do you guys think?
Atheists not only talk about science but also about aliens.

Er, should I start a thread on Aliens?

Muezzin
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Aziz
Er, should I start a thread on Aliens?
There's already one

:brother:

Any newshounds on the lookout for high strangeness? Please don't tell me I'm the only one into this sort of thing. You'll make me feel weirder than I already am. :p

Bittersteel
07-12-2005, 02:44 PM
i don't know but people I met on other forums told they saw spaceships,etc.They even provided pics which I may post here if you guys don't mind.

Bittersteel
07-12-2005, 03:03 PM
umm is there a site where I can know what he said?

Muezzin
07-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Try Googling 'Dr Zakir Naik Aliens Islam'

That's what I'd do ;)

minaz
01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Livin La Vida Mogley!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4643678.stm

Tasneem
01-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Indeed. More from the World o' Weird:

Man Wakes Up With a Bullet in His Tongue

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Police say a man who woke up with a serious headache walked 12 blocks to a hospital with a swollen lip and powder burns. Doctors discovered the problem. 47-year-old Wendell Coleman had a bullet lodged in his tongue.

Coleman told police that a woman stuck a gun barrel in his mouth during a dispute around 2:30 Tuesday morning and that he heard the gun go off.

Police say Coleman then went home to sleep.

What authorities did with the bullet wasn't clear last night.

Source

Well that certainly brings a whole new meaning to the term 'Eat lead'.

Lions free kidnapped girl

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) -- Police say three lions rescued a 12-year-old girl kidnapped by men who wanted to force her into marriage, chasing off her abductors and guarding her until police and relatives tracked her down in a remote corner of Ethiopia.

The men had held the girl for seven days, repeatedly beating her, before the lions chased them away and guarded her for half a day before her family and police found her, Sgt. Wondimu Wedajo said Tuesday by telephone from the provincial capital of Bita Genet, some 560 kilometers (348 miles) west of the capital, Addis Ababa.

"They stood guard until we found her and then they just left her like a gift and went back into the forest," Wondimu said, adding he did not know whether the lions were male or female.

News of the June 9 rescue was slow to filter out from Kefa Zone in southwestern Ethiopia.

"If the lions had not come to her rescue then it could have been much worse. Often these young girls are raped and severely beaten to force them to accept the marriage," he said.

"Everyone ... thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people," Wondimu said.

Stuart Williams, a wildlife expert with the rural development ministry, said that it was likely that the young girl was saved because she was crying from the trauma of her attack.

"A young girl whimpering could be mistaken for the mewing sound from a lion cub, which in turn could explain why they (the lions) didn't eat her," Williams said. "Otherwise they probably would have done."

The girl, the youngest of four brothers and sisters, was "shocked and terrified" and had to be treated for the cuts from her beatings, Wondimu said.

He said that police had caught four of the men, but were still looking for three others.

In Ethiopia, kidnapping has long been part of the marriage custom, a tradition of sorrow and violence whose origins are murky.

The United Nations estimates that more than 70 percent of marriages in Ethiopia are by abduction, practiced in rural areas where the majority of the country's 71 million people live.

Ethiopia's lions, famous for their large black manes, are the country's national symbol and adorn statues and the local currency. Former emperor Haile Selassie kept a pride in the royal palace in Addis Ababa.

Despite their integral place in Ethiopia culture, their numbers have been falling, according to experts, as farmers encroach on bush land.

Hunters also kill the animals for their skins, which can fetch $1,000, despite a recent crackdown against illegal animal trading across the country. Williams said that at most only 1,000 Ethiopian lions remain in the wild.

Source

Now that's what I call the Circle of Life.

SubanAllah thats only by Allahs mercy that she did not
Get killed.
Allah is Merciful.

SaLaMz

Muezzin
01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by minaz
What a little brother, eh? Running off with his wife. I suppose he'd call it the 'Bear Necessities'.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.